How to fool others that you are just back from a beach holiday with a gorgeous sun-kissed look? ‘Bronzer’ is the answer! In the world of makeup, bronzers are an absolute must-have. From adding a warm glow to contouring beautifully, the multi-tasking product does a lot to reduce paleness and flatness from your face. No wonder bronzers are favorites of all makeup artists and you should also have it in your kitty. So, how to find the perfect bronzer for yourself? Here is a curated list of 10 best bronzers in India along with all essential information and useful tips that could help you look like a bronzed goddess every time you apply it.
What is Bronzer?
A bronzer is a wonderful makeup tool that helps us look radiant and healthy with a beautiful warmth and no added color. It is basically a variant of blush that gives your skin a pretty beach-like tan or a natural summer glow. The idea of bronzing is focused on highlighting the areas of the face that are naturally hit by the sunlight i,e, forehead, cheekbones, nose, and chin while adding subtle instant shine to them. The right application of the product also helps in adding dimension to the face and making it appear slimmer or chiseled in some areas. In other words, a bronzer helps you highlight, contour, and shape up your face in just a few swipes.
While contouring and highlighting the face, a bronzer is essential to reduce the harsh effects. It warms up the face and puts the healthy color back into it after sculpting with cool tones. (1)
Types of Bronzer
Bronzers come in a variety of formulations and you can opt for one depending on your skin type. Here are the choices you have:
- Powder Bronzer: Powder bronzer is classic and the most popular type of bronzer that works well for normal, oily, and combination skin. But people with oily skin can enjoy its maximum benefits. It is usually applied with an angled or sparser brush and built up gradually through blending.
- Cream Bronzer: If you are aiming for heavier coverage, go for the cream-based bronzers. They tend to work well for those with dry or wrinkled skin. It can be applied with a brush or simply with the fingers and lasts for a longer period of time.
- Liquid Bronzer: If you have a naturally contoured appearance, go for liquid bronzer. Being of a thinner consistency, it melts into the skin and blends seamlessly. You should apply it to a brush before applying it to your skin.
Selecting a bronzer for an Indian skin is a trick that is learned with experience. If a bronzer is not blended well or not used in the right way you can end up looking bad rather than looking good.
Read Also – Recipes of Natural Homemade Bronzer
Different Types of Bronzer Finish
Bronzers can also be categorized based on the types of finish they offer. Check them out below (2):
- Matte Bronzer: It is best for adding depth and definition to the face. You can contour by applying it to the top of the forehead, under the cheekbones, under the jawline, and the sides of the face.
- Shimmer Bronzer: When looking for a subtle yet luminous summer radiance, use this on the cheekbones and the temples. However, you cannot use it for contouring or on blemished skin.
- Sheer Bronzer: This type of bronzer gives a very natural glowy finish with neither extra color nor added definition. This should also be applied to the cheekbones and the temples.
How to Choose the Right Bronzer Shade?
With so many shades of bronzers available in the market, there is always something out there for everyone. Find below the way to grab the most flattering shade for yourself (3):
- For Fair/Lighter Complexion: Shades with cool undertones like golden.
- For Medium Complexion: Shades with a little warmer undertones like rosy (a matte neutral shade also works).
- For Olive/Darker Complexion: Shades with warm undertones coupled with glimmer like red, orange, etc.
How to Apply Bronzer on Indian Skin?
Never used bronzers before? We have listed down 8 simple steps to help you up to your bronzer game (4):
- Start with applying concealer to cover up blemishes, dark spots, and pigmentation.
- Once you have hidden the dark spots, apply a liquid foundation to create an even base.
- Choose a bronzer 2 shades darker than your original skin tone.
- Use a soft, fluffy brush to apply the bronzer and tap off any excess product.
- Start with applying on your forehead in a swirling motion, along the sides of your upper forehead and hairline.
- Move on to your cheekbones. To get the perfect result, make a fish face to apply it correctly.
- End with the jawline to add definition to your face.
- Remember to apply a light layer on your neck too to blend it in.
It doesn’t stop there. The key to applying a bronzer is blending! Ensure you blend everything in circular motions so that there are no uneven spots.
Use a large, fluffy, and tapered brush to apply bronzer. Just roll the sides of the brush over the product rather than dipping it into that. It will distribute the product uniformly all over the face.
Read Also – Best Bronzers for Medium to Tanned Skin
10 Best Bronzers in India for a Warm and Lovely Glow
So, here is the list of 10 best bronzers in India that can help you get a radiant and sculpted look in minutes:
1. Nyx Professional Makeup Matte Bronzer
The NYX Professional Makeup Matte Bronzer is a perfect pick for dusky skin and leaves a healthy bronzy glow on it. The talc-based, finely milled powder has a true matte finish, which is truly long-lasting.
- Available in five russet shades i.e. Light (dark gold), Medium (dark golden brown), Deep (deep cool brown), Dark Tan (deep warm brown), and Deep Tan (deep golden brown)
- A talc-based product with a long-lasting matte finish
- Enriched with chamomile green tea and ginseng root extract
- Works as a nutrient-packed face primer
- Helps skin feel smooth and refreshed
- Gives a natural, healthy-looking complexion with a honey glow
Price: Rs. 850 for 9.5 gm.
2. The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder
If you want to fake that ‘holiday glow’ effortlessly, try The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder. It is a lightweight bronzer containing Community Trade honey that suits all skin types and leaves a luminous glow with a matte finish.
- Shades suits even the palest skin tones
- A lightweight product with no shimmer in it
- Infused with ethically-sourced Ethiopian honey
- Provides an even, bronzed, matte finish
- Adds a luminous golden glow to the skin that looks absolutely natural
- Suitable for all types of skin
- Available in a convenient pressed powder packaging
Price: Rs. 1,395 for 11 gm.
3. M.A.C Cosmetics Bronzing Powder Matte Bronze
Use the M.A.C Cosmetics Bronzing Powder Matte Bronze for a sheer and natural sun-kissed look. Ideal for everyday use, this smooth textured bronzer enhances the skin tone, giving it natural color effects and highlights.
- A subtly tinted powder formulated for a smooth, even application
- Contains light-reflecting bronzing pigments
- Provides a natural, sun-kissed look
- Enhances the skin tone or accentuates a tan
- Refined golden with soft pearl gives a sheer and naturally highlighted skin
- Non-acnegenic product for a wide variety of skin tones
- Dermatologist and ophthalmologist tested
- Ideal for everyday use
Price: Rs. 2,800 for 10 gm.
4. Lakme Absolute Sun-Kissed Bronzer
The Lakme Absolute Sun-kissed Bronzer blends easily into the skin and gives a luminous finish. This pigmented and color-rich bronzer comes in two distinctive shades with a tinge of shimmer for a truly unique look.
- A lightweight combination of highlighter and bronzer
- Dual shades – Bronzy Gold and Cream Silver for creating newer shades
- Micro-fine velvet pearls give a naturally luminous glow
- Enriched with antioxidant vitamin E that nourishes and protects the skin
- Gives a soft and smooth complexion with added shimmer
- Specially created for medium to dark Indian complexions but suits fair skin too
- Clinically and dermatologically tested
Price: Rs. 725 for 9 gm.
5. Oriflame Sweden Giordani Gold Bronzing Pearls
The Oriflame Sweden Giordani Gold Bronzing Pearls are multi-colored beads with a slight shimmer that bring glow and shine to the face, cheeks, and décolleté. Hand-crafted in Italy, the product also hydrates the skin and makes it youthful.
- Available in various shades to suit different skin tones
- Powdered pearls that are hand-crafted in Italy
- A unique combination of warm shades and illuminating particles
- Formulated with Mineral Complex and Youth Essence
- Hyaluronic acid in it hydrates the skin and plumps it up
- Brings warmth, color, and shine to the skin
- Enhances the complexion and adds a youthful glow
- Makes the skin soft, smooth, and comfortable to touch
Price: Rs. 1,399 for 25 gm.
6. Rimmel London Natural Bronzer
This Rimmel London Natural Bronzer is a waterproof, lightweight, and SPF-rich formula that offers buildable coverage with a natural, sun-kissed radiance. It stays for up 10 hours on the skin while giving a beautiful matte finish.
- Available in five shades i.e. Sun Dance, Sun Bronze, Sun Kissed, Sun Glow, and Sun Light
- Waterproof bronzer in the form of velvety pressed powder
- Lightweight and long-wearing formula that stays on for up to 10 hours
- SPF 15 ensures optimal sun protection from the harmful UV rays
- Gives the skin a natural-looking sun-kissed glow with a matte finish
- Blends effortlessly to create a rich, healthy-looking tan
Price: Rs. 525 for 14 gm.
7. Sugar Cosmetics Contour De Force Mini Bronzer
Just a tiny amount of the SUGAR Contour De Force Mini Bronzer is enough to enhance the classic ‘lit from within’ glow for any skin type. It is formulated in Italy and is 100% safe for our skin.
- Available in two sun-washed shades i.e. Taupe Topper (brown-gray) and Woody Wonder (warm brown)
- An illuminating bronzer formulated in Italy
- Super lightweight with a sheer, matte finish
- Feels super silky to the touch and blends seamlessly
- Perfect for a subtle, sun-kissed look
- Evens out skin tone and blurs imperfections
- Free from parabens, D5, mineral oil, and nano-ingredients
- Dermatologically tested and approved
Price: Rs. 399 for 4 gm.
8. L’Oreal Paris Back To Bronze Gentle Matte Bronzing Powder
With the L’Oreal Paris Back To Bronze Gentle Matte Bronzing Powder, you can sport a summertime ‘tanned’ look all-year while contouring your face beautifully. It is perfect for achieving a ‘no-makeup’ makeup look.
- A soft matte powder formula with no shimmer or glimmer
- Enriched with mango and cocoa butter
- Hydrates the skin and conditions it deeply
- Can be built easily for customized bronzed looks
- Gives a warm, glowing look that is extremely natural
- Perfect for a ‘no makeup’ makeup look
- Can be used for sculpting (light to medium skin tones)
Price: Rs. 750 for 9 gm.
9. Physicians Formula Murumuru Butter Bronzer
The Physicians Formula Murumuru Butter Bronzer combines the best features of a powder and cream bronzer. It not only gives you a tropical glow but also deals moisture in the skin, thus delivering instant and lasting hydration to it.
- Available in eight shades i.e. Bronzer, Light Bronzer, Sunkissed Bronzer, Deep Bronzer, Endless Summer, Brazilian Glow, Sunset Bronzer, and Sculpting Bronzer
- An ultra-luxurious bronzer with an incredibly creamy and soft texture
- Infused with a powerful blend of Murumuru Butter, Cupuacu Butter, and Tucuma Butter
- Packed with essential fatty acids and pro-vitamins
- Features ultra-refined pearl and soft-focus pigments
- Melts into the skin instantly
- Softens, conditions, and moisturizes the skin
- Delivers a radiant tropical glow
- Can be used for accentuating and contouring the face
- May be worn alone or over makeup
- Free from parabens, oils, and gluten
- Hypoallergenic and dermatologist tested
Price: Rs. 1,200 for 11 gm.
10. Makeup Revolution London Bronzer Reloaded
If you are ready to flaunt a lightweight, foolproof, and luminous glow, choose the Makeup Revolution London Bronzer Reloaded. It blends effortlessly and suits all skin tones.
- Available in three versatile shades i.e. Long Weekend, Holiday Romance, and Take a Vacation
- A long-lasting, pearlized powder formula that blends seamlessly
- Offers a lightweight, foolproof and luminous glow
- Ensures a natural-looking finish that does not look powdery
- Complements all skin tones and enhances them significantly
Price: Rs. 650 for 15 gm.
Common Bronzer Blunders to Avoid
If applied correctly, bronzers can be extremely flattering. However, any mishaps can make you look like an orange, muddy mess! Here are some common mistakes you need to be careful about:
1. Using the Wrong Shade and Type of Bronzer
While a certain shade and type of bronzer might look great on your friend, it might be a complete disaster for you. The first step to acing your bronzer game is to choose the right kind of bronzer keeping your skin tone in mind.
2. Applying It All Over Your Face
Remember – it’s a bronzer, not a foundation. Apply it only where necessary which includes the forehead, nose, cheeks, and jawline, and certainly not all over your face. The key to applying a bronzer is to ensure you have a natural glow on your face which is achieved by tactfully touching upon areas that are naturally hit by the sun.
3. Choosing Too Much Shimmer
A bit of shimmer is never a bad idea. But when you overdo it, it just makes you look oily and sweaty after a while. Use a very little shimmer to illuminate your cheeks and you are good to go!
4. Not Tapping the Brush
When you swirl the brush onto the bronzer, you tend to pick up too much of the product. Ensure you tap the brush to get rid of the excess powder. If it’s too less, you can always layer it with more. You rather add the bronzer in gradual amounts than overdo it.
5. Just Focusing on Your Face
Yes, you have done a good job of applying bronzer on your face. But that is not all that matters! Only applying bronzer on your face will set apart your neck and chest, giving a very inconsistent look. The job’s not done till your face, neck, and chest are of the same color so ensure you touch upon them evenly.
Read Also – Best Bronzers For Oily and Acne-Prone Skin
A bronzer helps us highlight, contour, and shape up our face in just a few swipes. It is basically a variant of blush that gives the skin a beach-like tan or a natural summer glow. The idea of bronzing is focused on highlighting the areas of the face that are naturally hit by the sunlight i.e., forehead, cheekbones, nose, and chin while adding subtle instant shine to them. The right application of the product also helps in adding dimension to the face and making it appear slimmer or chiseled in some areas. There are three types of bronzer – powder, cream, and liquid. It is important to choose one based on the type of your skin. Different bronzers also give different finishes like matte, shimmer, and sheer. You need to consider undertones while selecting the right shade of bronzer. It is also essential to apply the product the right way by staying away from all common blunders.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Bronzer Necessary for Indian Skin?
While bronzer is not necessary for natural warm Indian complexions, using it can actually enhance your skin tone and let it glow.
Should I Wear Blush or Bronzer?
Blush and bronzer are different from each other. Blush adds a subtle flush to your cheeks while bronzer adds a luminous glow to your skin. Hence, you cannot replace one with the other.
Do You Put Bronzer or Blush First?
Bronzer is always applied before blush.
Can I Wear Bronzer without Foundation?
Yes, you can. But make sure that you keep it in place by using a setting spray.
- “7 Things Makeup Artists Want You to Know About Bronzer“, MarieClarie.com
- “Everything You Need to Know About Bronzer: Types, and How to Apply It“, MetDaan.com
- “Bronzer 101: Everything You Need to Know“, Cosmpolitanme.com
- “How to Use Bronzer for Beginners and the Best Face Bronzers to Try“, Cosmopolitan.com