Are you struggling with oily skin and adult acne? We feel your pain. Oiliness and adult acne are more common than you may think, but the good news is that you don’t have to accept greasy skin and pesky pimples. Instead, finding a consistent skincare routine that works for you and sticking to it may help keep shine and acne at bay. Since a good face wash is the cornerstone of any solid skincare routine, we have rounded up the best face washes for oily and acne-prone skin. These face washes will leave your skin feeling soft while keeping it matte throughout the day.
What Causes Oily Skin?
First things first, everyone has oil in their skin. Under each of your pores is a sebaceous gland that produces sebum. However, in some people, the sebaceous glands produce too much oil. Sebum plays an essential role in maintaining the skin’s overall health, although overproduction can result in oily skin, clogged pores, and acne breakouts. Oily skin may result from genetics, stress, humidity, fluctuating hormones, and poor hygiene (1). Moreover, using the wrong skincare products and washing your face too often can lead to oily skin.
How to Prevent Oily Skin?
This type of skin may be difficult to manage; however, there are several things you can do at home to reduce the oiliness.
- Wash your face every morning and evening.
- Wash your face after exercise.
- Wash your face with a gentle face wash and warm water.
- Don’t scrub your skin. Scrubbing your skin may irritate your skin and thus trigger increased oil production.
- Use a toner.
- Use a facial mask for treating oily skin.
- Apply a moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated.
- Use sunscreen every day.
- Opt for oil-free, water-based makeup.
- Use blotting papers throughout the day. Blotting papers will lift excess oil off the skin and make your face appear less shiny.
TRIVIA: Honey has antibacterial and antiseptic abilities that can fight acne and keep the skin moist but not oily. (2)
Benefits of Oily Skin
We all know that oily skin looks greasy and that excess sebum can clog pores and increase acne breakouts. But have you ever wondered, excess oil can also boost your skin’s health? People with oily skin tend to have thicker and smoother skin which is more resilient to wrinkles and aging. Moreover, the oil produced by your skin contains vitamin E, which acts as a natural sunscreen. (3)
Also Read – 10 Best Body Washes In India for Moisturized and Fragrant Skin
What to Look for in Face Washes?
Since your skin is oily and acne-prone, you need a gentle face cleanser that fights oiliness and infection without damaging your skin barrier. Some ingredients that can tackle oily skin are:
- Salicylic acid is a beta-hydroxy acid (or BHA) that is well-known for reducing mild acne. It exfoliates the skin and dissolves the dead skin cells that are clogging your pores. (4)
- Glycolic acid is an effective exfoliant and is mainly used to combat hyperpigmentation, dullness, acne, fine lines, and wrinkles. (5)
- Benzoyl peroxide is a topical medication used to treat mild acne. It’s anti-inflammatory but can be irritating on sensitive skin.
- Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic. It can combat a wide array of pore-clogging bacteria, fungi, viruses, and yeast.
- Hyaluronic acid (HA) can hydrate the skin and can improve its appearance of the skin.
- Bentonite Clay is used to remove impurities such as oils and toxins from the skin. It helps in treating acne breakouts and oily skin, but it can also overdry skin. (6)
- Coconut oil repairs the skin barrier and locks in the right amount of moisture to keep your skin from producing excess oil.
- Since some of these ingredients may be irritating for some people, you should use them on a small area of skin first to see how your skin reacts. Moreover, you should start slowly, allowing your skin a chance to get used to the medication.
TRIVIA: A 2012 study found that applying a mask made of healing clay and jojoba oil two to three times weekly helped heal mild acne. (7)
8 Best Face Washes for Oily and Acne-Prone Skin
Using the correct face wash for your skin type can make a massive difference in the amount of acne and oil that’s left on your face. It might sound counterintuitive, but the key is to moisturize your face and keep your skin hydrated when it comes to oil control. Face wash for oily and acne-prone skin should thus gently cleanse the skin while also replenishing the skin barrier. To help you choose a face wash that will control your oil and acne without drying your skin, we have gathered a list of our top 8 favorite products.
1. Cetaphil: Daily Facial Cleanser for Combination to Oily Sensitive Skin
Cetaphil Facial Cleanser is ideal for sensitive skin and gently removes dirt, excess oil, and makeup. Dermatologists recommend it for everyday use. It serves multiple purposes:
- Can be used as a makeup remover
- Irritation free and leaves no residue
- Comes with oil-free formulae
Price: $15.99 / Size: 20 Fl Oz
2. CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser, Makeup Remover, and Daily Face Wash for Oily Skin
This non-comedogenic cleanser effectively removes dead cells, impurities, and oil, thus giving an instant glow. In addition, it is fragrance-free and maintains the skin’s natural barrier.
- Hyaluronic acid hydrates the skin
- MVE Delivery Technology provides nourishment to the skin
Price $19.39 / Size 19 Fl Oz
3. Proactiv Acne Cleanser – Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash And Acne Treatment
Proactiv Acne Cleanser is highly effective in removing excess oil, dirt, and other impurities. It combats acne, prevents new breakouts and inflammation of the skin.
- It combats acne with its benzoyl peroxide formulae
- It contains hyaluronic acid, which helps maintain skin hydration.
- It removes dead skin, impurities, and unclogs pores
Price $25.00 / Size 4.06 Fl Oz
4. Bioré Charcoal Face Wash, Face Cleanser for Dirt and Makeup Removal From Oily Skin
Enriched with natural charcoal, this face wash aims at removing dirt and unclog pores from the skin.
- Comes with Japanese Skin Purifying Technology
- Effectively removes dirt and excess oil from the skin
- Do a patch test in case if you have a sensitive skin
Price $7.99 / Size 6.77 Fl Oz
5. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Face Wash Cleanser, Purifying Foaming Cleanser for Normal Oily & Sensitive Skin
This face wash gently cleanses skin without disturbing the natural pH balance of the skin. In addition, it removes face and eye makeup, dirt, excess oil, and impurities.
- It contains ceramides that maintain the skin barrier, niacinamide which can lower sebum excretion rates, and glycerin which naturally attracts water to the skin.
- It contains no pore-clogging residue
- Paraben & Fragrance-Free
Price $14.99 / Size 13.52 Fl Oz
6. Clean & Clear Essentials Foaming Facial Cleanser
This oil-free cleanser gently cleans skin and washes away dirt, oil, and makeup to help skin stay clean and healthy. It leaves skin clean and refreshed without overdrying it.
- It features glycerin and ingredients derived from coconut oil
- It does not leave any residue
- It gives you a squeaky clean feeling
Price $4.47 / Size 8 Fl Oz
Trivia – Hair shampoos and conditioners may trigger acne or breakouts. If you think your shampoo or conditioner is the reason behind it, make sure to use a oil-free formulae. (8)
7. Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash
Enriched with tea tree oil, this gentle face wash keeps skin soft and supple.
- Tea tree oil is an antibacterial agent
- It deeply cleanses grubby faces and clarifies the skin off all impurities
Price $18.00 / Size 13.53 Fl Oz
8. Banila CO Clean It Zero Cleansing Balm Original
Clean it Zero Original is a K-beauty hypoallergenic cleansing balm that exfoliates, hydrates, and cleanses the skin. It can easily remove waterproof makeup and all of your skin’s impurities without disturbing the skin’s natural moisture balance.
- It is formulated with Active botanicals, Hot Springs Water, Vitamin E, and vitamin C for a healthy complexion
- It contains no parabens, sulfates, alcohol, mineral oil, and artificial coloring.
- It has a mild, fruity smell
Finding the right products for oily and acne-prone skin is vital as no one likes having a greasy face. While the skin looks fresh and bouncy in the morning, as the day passes, it tends to get all sticky. If you’re dealing with oily skin, choosing the right cleanser can make all the difference. Face washes designed for oily, acne-prone skin cleanse, hydrate, and control the sebum production without drying it. While everyone’s skin is different and there is no one-size-fits-all solution, the best prevention is finding a consistent skincare routine that works for you and sticking to it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to treat oily, acne-prone skin?
The best way to address this skin type is to consistently follow a skincare routine that helps balance out the oil production while keeping the skin hydrated. For a simple and effective skincare regime, make sure to cleanse your face every morning and evening, followed by exfoliating toner, moisturizer, and SPF protection in the morning and serum in the evening.
Should I use a toner every day?
If your skin is oily, you should use an astringent. Astringents are similar to toners but made especially for oily skin types. They are a great way to control oil as they help remove sebum from the skin and tighten the pores.
- “How to Control Oily Skin” – aad.org
- “10 Home Remedies for Oily Skin” – healthline.com
- “4 Surprising Benefits of Oily Skin” – dermstore.com
- “Can Salicylic Acid Help Treat Acne?” – healthline.com
- “Everything You Need to Know About Glycolic Acid, Explained” – glamour.com
- “Bentonite clay: 11 benefits and uses” – medicalnewstoday.com
- “Clay Jojoba Oil Facial Mask for Lesioned Skin and Mild Acne – Results of a Prospective, Observational Pilot Study” karger.com
- “Acne-Prone Skin? Here’s How to Identify and Create the Right Routine” – healthline.com