Gone are those days when the perfect makeup shades for dusky skin were limited to just browns and maroons. With the evolution of the industry as well as the products, the deep dark skin too has a whole lot of options now. Even when it comes to picking the most underrated makeup item like blush, they have numerous choices. In fact, the shade options for blushes are so many that beauties with dusky skin tone may feel overwhelmed. So today, we have compiled a list of 10 best blushes for dusky skin that will make them look even more stunning in just a few seconds. Keep reading.
Why Should You Use a Blush?
Blush may not seem to be a ‘makeup essential’ but it is truly the ‘unsung hero’ of the makeup world. The humble product adds incredible warmth and depth to the skin and hence, should never be skipped. Let us be a bit more elaborate. The base makeup products, such as foundation, concealer, powder, etc. make the skin look totally flat by evening out its tone across the entire face. Using blush brings the color and dimension back into the complexion while balancing it out with the rest of the makeup. Following are the ways the dab of coloration on your cheeks can help your makeup looks stand out:
- Creates a warm, natural-looking flush
- Makes you appear fresh, energetic, and well-rested instantly
- Adds a naturally youthful, sun-kissed glow to the face
- Boosts even the simplest makeup looks
- Turns even the most melanin-rich skin healthy and vibrant
For fair skin tone, lighter shades of blush should be chosen over the ones that are too saturated in color. Conversely, the blush shades for medium skin tone must be medium in hue (neither too dark nor too light).
Choosing the Right Blush Shades for Dusky Skin
If you have a gorgeous dusky skin tone, just take care of the following points while investing in blush and you are sorted:
- Pinks: Yes, we all long for those rosy pink cheeks. But the fact needs to be accepted that pink cheeks are really not for everyone. Certain shades of pink (like hot pinks) will never go well with deep skin.
- Browns: Though people think that browns are meant for dusky skin, dark brown does not complement it at all. Rather, it can make your skin look more tanned and darker. So, try to avoid it as much as possible.
- Shimmers: A blush with silver shimmer is a big NO-NO for dusky skin complexion. You can pick blushes with gold shimmer though as they will complement the dusky skin really well.
- Orange: Warmer orange tones add the right hint of color to dusky cheeks and do wonder for them. However, you should stay away from the brightest or neon orange, of course.
- Corals: Coral shades also look great on dusky skin tones. There are many variations of coral blushes in the market from different brands. You must choose the one that suits you the most.
Bright blush shades are always great for dusky skin. In fact, the brighter the better. Also, starting with a cream formulation and setting it lightly with a powder formulation can make it easily visible and long-lasting. (1)
Read Also – Top 5 Concealers for Dusky Skin
10 Best Blushes for Dusky Skin Available in the Market
From traditional powder-based formulae to advanced sticks or gels, we have reviewed a wide range of blushes that will flatter dusky skin tones the most. Check out the list of 10 best blushes for dusky skin tone available in the U.S. market:
1. M.A.C. Extra Dimension Blush (Shade – Hushed Tone)
The world’s leading professional makeup brand M.A.C. has been setting trends backstage at worldwide fashion weeks with its unrivaled Extra Dimension Blush. The shade ‘Hushed Tone’ in it is the best choice for the medium to dusky skin tones, especially if you want a sheer wash of color sans glitter.
- A modern hybrid blush with a neutralized pink-peach shade
- Combines the smoothness of a cream, blendability of a liquid, and finish of a powder
- Delivers a polished texture
- Leaves a smooth second-skin finish
- Offers long-wearing color (stays up to 10 hours)
- Gives prismatic reflections of light
- Can be used wet or dry
- Non-acnegenic formulation
- Dermatologist and ophthalmologist tested
- Suitable for all types of skin
- Suits all ages, races, and genders
Fairly Precious (light pinky champagne), Sweets For My Sweet (mid-tone yellow pink), Wrapped Candy (plum), Just A Pinch (apricot), Into The Pink, Cheeky Bits, Rosy Cheeks, Hard To Get, Into The Pink, Faux Sure!
Price: $30 for 0.14 US OZ
2. Inglot Face Blush (Shade – 27)
This Inglot Face blush integrates a scientific technology with vibrant hues for an impressive abundance of colors to fall in love with. Choose the matte blush in shade no. 27, which is a very pretty rosy brown (neither pink nor brown) and apt or medium to dusky skin tone.
- A classic, richly pigmented blush composition
- Allows smooth application and buildable color
- Adds a healthy pop of color to the face
- Blends into the skin seamlessly
- Does not leave visible texture
- Gives a delicate and satin-soft finish
- Enhances the natural glow of the skin
- Sculpts the face beautifully
- Comes in eco-friendly and reusable packaging
Available in as many as 19 shades with different shade numbers.
Price: $14 for 0.09 US OZ
3. Maybelline New York Cheek Heat Sheer Gel-Cream Blush (Shade – Berry Flame)
Maybelline New York does not need an introduction and the Cheek Heat Sheer Gel-Cream Blush by the brand is the best product to warm up your cheeks. If you have a beautiful dusky skin tone, the soft plum tint of the shade ‘Berry Flame’ will complement it perfectly.
- An oil-free, water-based, and lightweight gel-cream formula
- Infused with soft colorful pigments for a buildable cheek tint
- Glides onto the skin very smoothly
- Creates a natural-looking flush instantly
- Leaves behind a subtle, natural, dewy finish
- Brings a luminous sheer glow to the face
Rose Flush, Pink Scorch, Nude Burn, Fuchsia Spark, and Coral Ember
Price: $7.99 for 0.27 US OZ
4. Shiseido Minimalist Whipped Powder Cream Blush (Shade – Kokei)
The Minimalist Whipped Powder Cream Blush by the global, Japanese cosmetics and skincare brand Shiseido is a high-performance product that will celebrate and enhance your natural beauty. Its shade Kokei is a pretty fuchsia color that adds a vivid hot pink to the cheeks for an all-day-long stay.
- A unique blush with an airy mousse texture
- Features the breakthrough AirFusion Technology
- Creates microbubbles to blend effortlessly across the skin
- Transforms into an ultra-thin, featherlight, breathable powder
- Infused with film-forming resin to ensure color adherence for up to 8 hours
- Contains flexible silicone powder to create a silky texture that never looks dry
- Comes with a soft matte finish
- Dermatologist tested
Sonoyo (warm pink), Chiyoko (baby pink), Momoko (peach), Eiko (tan), Ayao (plum), Sayoko (red), and Setsuko (rose)
Price: $29 for 0.17 US OZ
5. NARS Cosmetics Blush (Shade – Exhibit A)
This award-winning bestseller NARS Cosmetics Blush is a cult classic that offers matte, satin, and shimmery finishes with a wide variety of highly pigmented shades. ‘Exhibit A’ from the brand is a ripe clementine shade that gives even the deepest brown skin a more sun-baked flush.
- A blendable formula with a silky texture
- Contains superfine micronized powder pigments
- Ensures a soft, easy, and blendable application
- Buildable from sheer to bold color
- Delivers a weightless, natural-looking rush of cheek color
- Brings out the natural luminosity of the skin
- Sheer: Illicit, Aroused, Coeur Battant, Liberte, Luster
- Matte: Zen, Behave, Thrill, Gina, Amour, Dolce Vita, Mata Hari, Desire, Gaiety, Madly
- Shimmer: Orgasm, Super Orgasm, Orgasm X, Tempted, Savage, Dominate, Bumpy Ride, Impassioned, Deep Throat, Sex Appeal, Torrid, Taos, Sin, Taj Mahal, Angelika, Blissful
Price: $30 for 0.16 US OZ
6. Dior Rouge Blush Long-Wear Powder Blush (Shade – 999)
The Rogue Blush range from the prestigious brand Dior adds intense colors to the cheeks with a matte, satiny, or iridescent finishes. For dusky skin tone, the particular bright berry hue of the shade 999 is highly suitable as it gives the cheeks a soft glow sans a highlighter.
- An ultra-pigmented powder formula with a silky texture
- Blends into the skin seamlessly for a flawless look
- Adds intense, buildable color to the cheeks
- Lasts all day long and gives a healthy radiance
- Gives full expression to bold femininity with the warm shade
028 Actrice, 219 Rose Montaigne, 330 Rayonnante, 365 New World, 475, 601 Hologlam, and 962 Poison Matte
Price: $44 for 0.24 US OZ
Read Also – How to Get a Natural Blush Look ?
7. Lancôme Paris Blush Subtil (Palette – Rum Raisin)
Lancôme Paris has come up with a lovely palette in the name ‘Rum Raisin’ for dusky to rich brown skin. You can apply plum or deep berries lightly. Warmer shades like orangish-pink will also brighten up your skin tone.
- An oil-free and oil-absorbing, micro-bubble formulation
- Has a luxuriously silky powder texture
- Enhances the normal moisture balance in the skin
- Blends smoothly and effortlessly into the skin
- Ensures a flawless application every time for a natural appearance
- Color stays true for hours
- Gives a versatile finish that never looks dry or dull
- Suitable for all types of skin
351 Blushing Tresor, 356 Blush For You, 541 Make It Pop, 363 Smile & Blush, 347 Rose Liberte, 161 Absolutely Happy, and 473 Keep Calm & Blush
Price: $32 for 0.18 US OZ
8. Make Up For Ever Color Stick Face & Body Color Grease Paint (Shade – Purple)
Instead of a traditional blush, you can even go for the multipurpose product like the Make Up For Ever Color Stick Face & Body Color Grease Paint. The purple shade looks gorgeous on dusky to deep dark skin and the creamy texture lets the color come through it nicely.
- A color grease paint stick with a creamy texture
- Highly pigmented and long-lasting shades
- Delivers a high-coverage and blendable effect
- Provides either transparent or very intense makeup
- Leaves behind a semi-matte finish
- Does not make the skin look dry or dull
- Can be blended together for color gradations and unique shade customizations
- Can be used for both face and body
Black, Grey, Livid, Silver, White, Ultramarine Blue, Dark Blue, Turquoise, Leaf Green, Pistachio, Khaki, Yellow, Gold, Ivory, Sienna, Pink Brown, Rosewood, Natural Brown, Brown, Rusty Brown, Red, Orange, Coral, Copper, Powder Pink, Fresh Pink, Fuchsia, and Purple Grey
Price: $26 for 0.56 US OZ
9. Clinique Cheek Pop (Shade – Cola Pop)
No matter what your skin tone is, the Cheek Pop range by the first dermatologist-developed cosmetics brand Clinique will always go with it. The shade ‘Cola Pop’ is a medium-dark reddish-berry, which will give dusky skin a beautiful luminous finish.
- A matte powder formulation with a silky-smooth texture
- Buildable color that lasts for a long time
- Adds a burst of hue to the cheeks
- Leaves a vibrant yet natural-looking finish
- Makes the cheeks look virtually powderless
- Non-comedogenic and allergy-tested
- Does not contain parabens, phthalates, and fragrance
- Suits all types of skin
Rosy Pop, Pink Pop, Ginger Pop, Nude Pop, Pansy Pop, Fig Pop, Melon Pop, Heather Pop, Black Honey Pop, Peach Pop, and Pink Honey.
Price: $25 for 0.12 US OZ
10. e.l.f . Powder Blush Palette (Shade – Dark)
Inspired by the originality of individuals, e.l.f. offers game-changing blushers for each and every one. From full-on maximalists to fresh-faced minimalists, the palette named ‘Dark’ by the brand is just perfect for all the requirements. And the best thing about the shade is that it is apt for dusky to even darker skin.
- A vegan and cruelty-free powder formulation
- Features 4 gorgeous shades
- Can be used for contouring, shading, sculpting, and highlighting
- Adds bright and long-lasting colors to the cheeks
- Allows to mix and match to create different looks
- Gives a mixture of complementary matte and shimmer finishes
- Free from sulfates, phthalates, parabens, nonylphenol ethoxylate, triclosan, triclocarban, and hydroquinone
Price: $8 for 0.56 US OZ
Read Also – Beauty Tips for Darker Skin Tones
Tips to Apply Blushes the Right Way
Now, here is a quick guide to applying blushes the right way. Keep the following tricks in mind and you will be able to create the most impressive look each time:
- Always apply blush to the apples of your cheeks and blend it in slowly in a circular motion.
- Apply the product to your cheeks sparingly by following a dabbing motion with your fingertips.
- When using a brush, sweep it over the top of the cheeks and blend downwards gradually.
- Blend the excess color towards cheekbones, temples, and across the hairline gently.
- Make sure to apply the product on the top of the cheeks and blend it out towards the temples and the brow arches for sculpting as well as illuminating effect.
- If you want only a natural flush, use a little amount of blush to create a wash of color.
- For more bright color, layer it on through reapplication to the desired intensity.
- To create dimension, choose a shimmer shade for the apples of your cheeks and a matte shade for the hollows.
- Mix and match the too soft or too bold shades in order to come up with your own custom shade.
You can tie your whole flushed look by following a simple blush application trick. Simply tap a small amount of product across your lips right after applying it to your cheeks and you are done! (2)
Blush adds warmth and depth to the skin when the base makeup items make it look totally flat by evening out its tone across the entire face. A little dab of blush on the cheeks brings the color and dimension back into the complexion while balancing it out with the rest of the makeup. It also makes you appear fresh and well-rested instantly and adds a naturally youthful, sun-kissed glow to the face. If you have a gorgeous dusky skin tone, just make sure that you do not choose certain shades of pink (like hot pinks), dark brown, and silver shimmer. Rather, opt for golden shimmer, oranges, corals, maroon, burgundy, plum, wine, etc. Bright blush shades are always great for dusky skin. In fact, the brighter the better. Starting with a cream formulation and setting it lightly with a powder formulation can make it easily visible and long-lasting. Pick your favorite choices from the list of best blushes for dusky skin tone available in the U.S. market and follow the right tips to make the most of it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Cream Blush Better Than Powder Blush?
Cream blush formulations are lightweight, easy to apply, and sheer. This gives a lovely bloom of color to the cheeks, which looks absolutely natural. But powder formulations are easier to overdo, which makes it look obvious that you are wearing blush.
Is Cream Blush Better for Mature Skin?
While cream blush is good for all types of skin, it is particularly beneficial for dry or mature skin as it needs an added dose of hydration.
What Colours Look Good on Dusky Skin?
Some highly recommended colors for dusky skin are plum, maroon, burgundy, berry, matte wine, gold, etc.
- “The Best Blushes for Darker Skin Tones, According to Makeup Artists“, Allure.com
- “Proof That Even You, Yes You, Should Be Wearing Blush“, MarieClaire.com