Curd or yogurt is, no doubt, a delicious treat for our taste buds. It is also quite well-known for being a simple, natural, and easily available ingredient, offering tons of health benefits. But there is another wonderful fact about curd that many people are still not aware of. It is actually a weight loss superfood! Yes, it helps in keeping our body weight under control by eliminating additional pounds. Needless to say, the process is absolutely natural, safe, and highly effective. So, let’s explore why and how to eat curd for losing weight and learn to choose the best type of curd for enjoying the maximum results. Keep reading to make your weight loss journey smoother with the magical effects of curd.
Read Also – Top 10 Curd Face Packs To Stay Beautiful Naturally
Why Eat Curd For Losing Weight?
Including curd in a low-calorie weight loss diet can help in losing 61% more body fat as well as 22% more bodyweight than living on a low-calorie diet with no protein or calcium. It gives a flat belly by helping people lose stubborn fat pockets around the abdomen and waist areas. Here are the most powerful reasons for making curd a staple in your weight loss diet:
1. Keeps BMI Levels Healthy
According to the American Dietetic Association, the reason behind the excellent fat-burning capacity of curd is the presence of calcium in it. Being a great source of calcium, it can keep your BMI levels healthy, which is closely linked to the significant reduction of body fat.
2. Loaded With Probiotics
Most curd varieties contain probiotics or live and active cultures, which promote the functionality of the digestive tract by providing it with healthy bacteria. In other words, curd improves the symptoms of an upset tummy and encourages digestion to a large extent. As a result, all essential nutrients from your food get assimilated properly and your weight loss efforts get facilitated.
3. Powerhouse Of Protein
Being a dairy product, the curd is very high in protein which keeps you filled for long and prevents hunger pangs. According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), just an ounce of Greek yogurt contains almost 12 gm. of protein. It also helps in maintaining lean muscle mass while eliminating unwanted body fat. Moreover, curd holds 70%-80% of water, which also makes it highly filling.
4. Packed With Calcium
Curd is an awesome source of calcium. A serving of 100 gm. of curd comprises as much as 80 mg. of calcium. This is not only helpful in making the bones stronger but also effective in eliminating unwanted body fat. Calcium is known to boost the process of thermogenesis in the body, which enhances metabolism and leads to a slimmer waistline. A study presented at the Obesity Society Meeting (2007) revealed that increased calcium intake is directly linked to belly fat reduction (1).
Read Also – Shake Off Your Stubborn Belly Fat Naturally
Regular intake of a curd-rich diet can remove almost 81% more fat in the stomach area, which is the most dangerous type of fat, than a curd-less diet. Excess fat in the midsection has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and some forms of cancer.
How To Eat Curd For Losing Weight?
Now the question is, how to eat curd for a guaranteed reduction of additional body fat? Is there any specific rule of intake? We show you the right way.
Number Of Servings
A person aiming at losing extra body weight should consume 3 servings (around 18 ounces) of plain, unsweetened, and fat-free or low-fat curd every day.
Time To Eat
To lose weight, curd can be consumed anytime – at breakfast, at lunch, or at dinner. You can even eat it in the evening as a healthy snack.
Also Read – 7 Ultra-Moisturizing Mayonnaise Facial Masks to Look Beautiful Inside Out
Choose Your ‘Extras’
While adding ‘extras’ (honey, cereals, nuts, fruits, etc.) to your plain curd, be sure that you do it in moderate amounts. Adding too many extras can eventually sabotage your weight loss efforts.
Read Also – Why Drinking Green Tea Is A Sure Bet For Weight Loss And Obesity Control?
How To Choose The Right Type Of Curd?
Peek into the market and you will find a lot of variations of this simple food item. So, which ones among them can help you get rid of unwanted body weight? Are you confused about the type of curd or yogurt to consume for getting a slim-trim figure? The tricks are as follows:
- Greek yogurt is the best choice that you can ever make for losing weight. It contains only 90 calories and very little sugar (only 7 grams), which is extremely healthy for your body and really helpful for shedding off extra pounds.
- Apart from Greek yogurt, there are variations of curd which yield not more than 130 calories or 1 gram of fat per serving. These are also very good for keeping your body weight under control.
- Be careful while picking the low-calorie, low-fat curd varieties available in the market. They might sound the healthiest option, but in reality, they are loaded with sugar as well as artificial sweeteners. Some of them might even contain corn syrup which, being high in fructose, is not at all a good choice for weight reduction.
- Low-calorie (less than 100 calories) curds that are high in protein and calcium can promote weight loss to a great extent.
- Do not forget to check the protein levels of curds while focusing on calories. A low-calorie curd must have at least 12 to 15 grams of protein in order to keep you full for a significant period of time.
- Homemade low-fat curd made from cow’s milk instead of that of buffalo is also quite healthy and effective for weight loss.
- If you are a lover of fruit-flavored curds, make sure that you use fruits with low amounts of calorie.
- The levels of calcium and vitamin D in curd can vary widely from brand to brand. It usually depends on the processing and hence, you really need to check the label before picking.
One serving of curd is a significant source of potassium, phosphorous, riboflavin, iodine, zinc, and vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid). It also contains vitamin B12, which maintains the number of red blood cells in the blood and helps keep the nervous system functioning properly.
How To Store Curd For Consumption?
Whether you have prepared it at home or bought it from the market, always try to consume fresh curd. If you need to store it anyway, make sure that you store it in an air-tight container and put it in the refrigerator. However, frozen curd should not be consumed as it is. After taking it out of the refrigerator, thaw it properly and then eat.
How Long Can It Be Stored?
Curds have 2-3 weeks of shelf life and you can easily find the sell-by date on the packaging of the store-bought items. But you should consume it within a week of purchase only. This will help you make the most of the live bacteria for losing weight.
Ways To Include Curd In Your Diet
- Snack on plain curd throughout the day.
- Add whole grain granola or your favorite fruits to a cup of curd for breakfast or lunch.
- Switch to low-fat curd from mayonnaise whenever needed.
- Use it in your recipes for lunch or dinner.
- Incorporate curd in your salads.
- Prepare nutrient-dense smoothies by combining fresh or frozen fruits with it.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon on top of the curd and enjoy!
So, next time you prepare a weight loss diet chart for yourself, do not forget to embrace the goodness of curd.
Read Also – How To Use Curd For Reducing Hair Loss
- “For Consistent Weight Loss, Eat Yogurt Every Day”, HuffPost.com