What else can brighten up our face instantly than a beautiful shade of lipstick? But sometimes a nice lipstick experience may turn into a nightmare as the lips start becoming dry and chapped after some hours. People with dry skin tend to suffer even more from this dry lips issue as their lips get cracked and chipped easily. To help you out with this trivial problem that can damage all your efforts of making your lips do the talking, there are some amazing moisturizing lipsticks available in stores designed especially for dry lips. Let us have a look at the 10 best moisturizing lipsticks for dry lips that double up as a lip balm.
What Causes Dry Lips?
Our lips do not have any moisture-producing oil glands. Moreover, the skin on them is thinner than that on the rest of our body. Hence, many of us suffer from the issue of dry, parched, and chapped lips that even come with rough, flaky patches. In the worst cases scenario, dry lips can also lead to cracks and bleeding. Find below the most common causes of dry lips (1):
- Cold weather (low temperatures and dry air)
- Frequent and prolonged exposure to the sun
- The habit of licking the lips too often
- Using lip cosmetics with drying ingredients and/or allergens (camphor, menthol, phenol, fragrances, etc.)
- Certain medications (antihistamines, chemotherapies, diuretics, topical acne creams) and supplements (vitamin A, retinoids, lithium)
Specific underlying health conditions, such as dehydration and malnutrition may also cause the dryness of lips. However, these may need serious medical attention. So, consult your doctor as soon as possible.
Read Also – 15 Awesome Tips to Get Rid of Dry, Scaly Lips
How to Prevent Dry Lips?
Following preventive measures may stop your dry lips from getting worse. Check out the ways to keep the concern away (2):
- Exfoliate your lips regularly in a gentle manner to eliminate the layer of dead cells from them.
- Skip lip balms that contain drying ingredients like camphor, menthol, phenol, fragrance, etc. Rather, opt for their moisturizing versions rich in beeswax, petroleum, lanolin, ceramides, etc.
- Use homemade lip remedies made of all-natural hydrating elements including coconut oil, aloe vera, green tea, honey, cucumber, and so on.
- Drink plenty of water (at least 8 to 10 glasses) every day to keep your skin cells well-hydrated.
- Avoid the smoking of tobacco as much as possible.
How to Choose Lipsticks for Dry Lips?
While choosing lipsticks for dry and chapped lips, make sure that you go through the lists of ingredients thoroughly. Certain lipsticks may turn lips even drier due to the presence of alcohol in them. Typically, matte lipsticks with more wax and less oil in their formulations are extremely drying for the lips. On the other hand, glossy and cream lipsticks have lots of oil in their compositions, which makes them a great choice for dry lips. However, many brands are infusing matte lipsticks with moisturizing and hydrating ingredients these days. So, you can be selective and try matte lipsticks as well.
Read Also – Lipstain vs. Lipstick vs. Lipgloss
10 Best Moisturizing Lipsticks for Dry Lips
If you want to kiss those dry, flaky lips goodbye, just pucker up with any of the products from the following list of 10 best moisturizing lipsticks for dry lips:
1. L’Oreal Paris Color Riche Moist Matte Lipstick
For a non-drying velvet matte finish, the super comfortable Color Riche Moist Matte Lipstick by L’Oreal Paris is a delight worth indulging in. It will keep your lips ultra-hydrated, smooth, and subtly beautiful with a spectrum of gorgeous shades.
- Long-lasting formula with unique matte gel technology
- 45 iconic and highly pigmented colors (reds, nudes, pinks, and browns)
- The extreme color payoff in just one swipe
- Infused with jojoba oil and rosehip seed oil
- Provides intense hydration that stays all day long
- Delivers gorgeous velvet matte lip looks
- Gives a smooth and silky finish
- Comes in the new luxurious black leather packaging
Price: Rs. 750 for 3.7 gm.
2. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick
Look bold and confident with the Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick as it combines high-impact, luscious colors with a smooth, super moisturizing formula. True to its claim, this lipstick makes the lips extremely soft and tender while the lovable colors work perfectly for both day and night.
- A lightweight, buttery, and saturated lip color formula
- Glides over the lips effortlessly and sets within seconds
- Features the revolutionary LiquiSilk technology (silk-enriched mega moisturizers, aloe, ultra-light essential oils, and vitamins C and E)
- Contains micro-fine yet high-intensity pigments
- 25 vibrant, on-trend shades to suit all skin tones and occasions
- Comes in four finishes i.e. crème, pearl, sheer, and matte
- Provides superior comfort by preventing dryness
- Keeps the lips hydrated, soft, and supple for long hours
- Conditions the lips without causing dragginess
- Offers full and even coverage by filling in fine lines and wrinkles
- Gives buildable payoff with stay-true colors
- Creates silky-smooth, high-shine looks
Price: Rs. 699 for 4.2 gm.
3. Lakme Absolute Matte Ultimate Lip Color with Argan Oil
Formulated with the excellent nourishing benefits of luxe argan oil, this Absolute Matte Ultimate Lip Color from Lakme has gained the reputation as the ultimate matte lip color for even the driest lips. Sport a sensational pout while experiencing the caress of matte with each application of this long-lasting delight.
- A lightweight yet luxurious lip formulation
- Has a soft, velvety matte texture that feels comfortable on lips
- Combines the dual benefits of rich colors and deep nourishment
- Infused with the goodness of Moroccan argan oil
- 12 trendy shades to complement all Indian skin tones
- Nourishes lips and keep them from drying
- Offers a bold, intense color payoff
- Ensures a smooth and silky finish
Price: Rs. 800 for 3.4 gm.
4. Colorbar Matte Touch Lipstick
Perfectly made to help all with dry lips, the soft and creamy Colorbar Matte Touch lipstick blends wonderfully on the lips without leaving any cracks or flaws. The long-lasting lipstick comes in a wide array of hues ranging from soft and feminine to deep and mysterious so that you can make your pick for the right style statement.
- A smudge-proof lipstick with a creamy matte texture
- Highly blendable and intensely pigmented formula
- Enriched with vitamin E, jojoba oil, and shea butter
- Has 46 glamorous shades (browns, corals, mauves, nudes, pinks, and reds)
- Glides across the lips easily and smoothly
- Nourishes and moisturizes the lips from deep within
- Does not cause drying or peeling
- Offers SPF 15 broad-spectrum sun protection
- Delivers flawless, long-lasting coverage with a velvety matte finish
- Dermatologically tested
Price: Rs. 599 for 4.2 gm.
5. Maybelline New York Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipstick
The Maybelline New York Color Sensational Creamy Matte lipstick is apt for breaking everyday routine with a twist of color in the most hydrating way. It is not only bold in shades but also soft and creamy in essence, which blends style and comfort seamlessly.
- A rich creamy matte formula saturated with pigments
- Formulated with honey nectar, shea butter, and pure precious oils
- 35 stunning, ultra-flattering shades (nudes, pinks, reds, and plums)
- Glides effortlessly over the lips and gives a sensuous feel
- Keeps them nourished and moisturized all day long
- Creates an uncrackable matte finish
- Ensures 12 hours of comfort
- Leaves behind a burst of bold colors
Price: Rs. 299 for 3.9 gm.
Read Also – Best Lipstick Shades for Women with Fair Skin
6. SUGAR Never Say Dry Crème Lipstick
Made in Italy, the SUGAR Never Say Dry Crème Lipstick is all you need to quickly go from ‘Goddamn’ to ‘Goddess’ with the right dose of hydration and vibrant colors. Being loaded with nourishing and moisturizing ingredients, it can save you from the hassles of prepping, priming, and lining your lips.
- A hydrating and richly pigmented formulation
- Has a creamy, feather-light texture
- Spreads easily and evenly on the lips
- Enriched with vitamin E
- 11 vibrant hues with a high color payoff
- Great for prepping, priming, and lining lips
- Locks in both color and moisture
- Colors stay all day long
- Offers a baby-soft finish ranging from glossy to matte
- Free of mineral oil, lanolin, and parabens
- Dermatologically tested and approved
- 100% safe for skin
Price: Rs. 499 for 3.5 gm.
7. Nykaa So Creme! Creamy Matte Lipstick
This So Creme! Creamy Matte Lipstick by India’s largest omnichannel beauty destination Nykaa Cosmetics is a worth try for all those lipstick lovers with dry lips. You will surely fall in love with the luxe and on-trend shades that deliver a subtle yet dramatic cream-matte finish.
- A lightweight and hydrating formulation
- Gives smooth application in just one stroke
- 18 warm and gorgeous shades (nudes, pinks, reds, and plums)
- Offers excellent color payoff with long-lasting comfort
- Leaves a beautiful creamy matte finish
- A cruelty-free product with no animal testing
- Suits every skin tone, mood, and occasion
Price: Rs. 299 for 4.2 gm.
8. Faces Canada Weightless Creme Lipstick
With the Faces Canada Weightless Creme Lipstick, you can flaunt a healthy, hydrated, and irresistibly glossy pout every time. Apart from the long-lasting sheen on the soft and moisturized lips, the extensive assortment of hues with rich pigments will also help you look glamorous.
- A lightweight and ultra-glossy formula with a creamy texture
- Enriched with vitamin E, shea butter, almond oil, and jojoba oil
- 7 timeless and vibrant shades with rich pigments
- Complements Indian skin tones beautifully
- Gives a smooth and silky finish in a single swipe
- Makes the lips soft, hydrated, and healthy
- Adds moisturizing luster and long-lasting sheen to them
- Hypoallergenic and safe for skin
- Has a pleasantly refreshing fragrance
Price: Rs. 249 for 4 gm.
9. Biotique Natural Makeup Starkissed Moist Matte Lipstick
The Starkissed Moist Matte Lipstick by Biotique Natural Makeup is a skincare-infused lip color that not only makes your lips look pretty but also nourishes them deeply. The advanced Swiss biotechnology combined with organic ingredients takes the best care of your lips while turning them radiant naturally.
- A double-duty, skincare-infused, cream-matte formula
- Features all-natural and 100% organic ingredients
- 30 clean and highly pigmented colors for brilliant payoff
- Keeps the lips soft, moisturized, and plump
- Offers a rich matte effect that feels comfortable on the lips
- Creates a non-drying and uncrackable finish
- A long-wear product that lasts throughout the day
- Does not contain harmful parabens’
Price: Rs. 249 for 4 gm.
Also Read – Best Lip Balms For Super Soft Lips – Top 8 Picks
10. M.A.C.Amplified Lipstick
The Amplified Lipstick is one of those iconic lip products that earned M.A.C. immense fame. You cannot help but swoon over this super creamy formula that glides across the lips to leave them thoroughly moisturized. The bold colors also offer full coverage with a semi-lustrous finish.
- An ultra-creamy formula with a long-lasting effect
- Glides over the lips easily and effortlessly
- 24 vividly pigmented shades (berries, nudes, oranges, pinks, and reds)
- Gives full coverage with a bold color payoff
- Makes lips moisturized, soft, and smooth
- Provides a semi-lustrous finish
Price: Rs. 1,700 for 3 gm.
How to Apply Lipsticks to Dry Lips?
Now, here are the steps to swipe a lipstick right on your dry, parched, and chapped lips for the perfect look:
- Start with applying a high-quality lip balm generously.
- Rub your lips gently against each other a few times.
- Wipe away the flaky patches (if any) with a soft, wet washcloth.
- Glide a hydrating lipstick over them and build the color as desired.
The skin on our lips is thin and delicate with no oil-producing glands in it. Besides, external factors like cold weather, sun exposure, allergens or drying ingredients in lip cosmetics, licking the lips, habit of smoking, certain medications and supplements, etc. also lead to dry lips. You may follow preventive measures like regular exfoliation, using right lip balms, trying natural lip remedies, drinking enough water, quitting smoking, etc. to prevent your lips from getting dry or even worse. Though lipsticks brighten up our lip instantly, they may also turn the lips dry and chapped after some hours. Make sure that you read the ingredient lists thoroughly while buying lipsticks for your dry and chapped lips. Skip alcohol-based products with more wax and less oil in their formulations. Choose glossy, cream, and matte lipsticks with proper moisturizing agents from the list of 10 best moisturizing lipsticks for dry lips curated by our experts. Also, apply a high-quality lip balm generously before applying lipsticks to your dry lips every time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why Does My Lipstick Dry My Lips?
Check out the ingredients of your lipstick. It is probably an alcohol-based product with lots of wax and pigments. At the same time, the amount of added oils must be very less in it, which is causing dryness of lips.
Is Matte Lipstick Good for Dry Lips?
Matte lipsticks with no moisturizing agents are not so good for dry lips as they do not glide over the lips smoothly and dry them out even more eventually.
Does Vaseline Help Dry Lips?
Yes, Vaseline rehydrates the skin on the lips by penetrating it deeply while forming a protective layer on them to prevent moisture loss. The product also speeds up the natural cell renewal process in the lips.
Can I Put Lip Balm over Lipstick?
No, lip balms should always be applied before applying lipsticks. This helps in hydrating the lips nicely and the moisture remains locked in them even after the application of lipsticks.
Is It OK to Wear Lipstick Every Day?
Using chemical-laden lipsticks every day is not at all recommended. However, if you are applying high-quality products made of all-natural ingredients, go for it as you wish.