Many of us don’t have the time or are too lazy to head to our salon for a facial, and hence, at home face masks have gained a lot of popularity recently. However, sometimes we don’t have extra cash to spend on store-bought at-home face masks. Don’t worry, though. Today, we are sharing 3 easy DIY methods to take care of your skin using just a single ingredient from your own kitchen – mung beans.
What Are Mung Beans?
The mung bean, or green gram, is a plant species of the legume family. These energy-packed beans are not only filled with nutrition, but contain beneficial skin care properties as well. Mung beans have long been used for face care due to their anti-aging elements and their radiance-boosting properties.
How Can Mung Beans Help My Skin?
Mung beans can give our skin a beauty boost by removing impurities lodged in our skin pores. This leaves our skin looking clean, healthy, and fresh. They also have skin lightening properties, which help remove tans.
(1) Mung Bean Facial Scrub
This is a great scrub you can use when you’re in a rush. It only takes a few minutes and will leave your skin looking flawless. The natural mung bean exfoliating scrub is especially beneficial for acne-prone skin. It helps get rid of facial or bodily acne within just a few days of continuous use. Long-term use will drastically improve the condition of your skin, and noticeable effects can be observed within a month.
- Mung beans – 1 cup
- Lukewarm water or warm sage tea – 1 cup
- Any essential oil of your choice (we recommend lavender or rose oil) – 2-3 drops
- A soft face cloth
- Prepare a fine powder out of your mung beans. Ensure that the mung beans you are using are clean and dust-free before putting them into the blender. The best way to do this is to wipe them with a towel. However, do not wash them with water, as they need to be dry in order to properly pulverize them. Pour the powdered mung beans into a bowl and keep aside.
- Next, add the essential oil to the lukewarm water or warm sage tea and dampen the face cloth by dipping it into the mixture.
- Place the damp face cloth evenly over your face and press down lightly with your fingers. Wait for 10-15 minutes so that all the oil, dirt, and grime from your face stick to the cloth and can be lifted off to properly cleanse your skin. Remove the cloth carefully and discard.
- Pour a small heap of mung bean powder onto your palm. Take a tiny amount and gently exfoliate your face with it, one area at a time. You must use the pulp of your fingertips for this purpose and avoid applying too much pressure while scrubbing.
- Continue the exfoliation for up to 3 minutes. Finally, rinse it off with cold water and pat dry.
(2) Mung Bean Facial Pack
If you have some more time to spare, prepare this mung bean facial pack. After applying it, you need only 15 minutes to notice a difference – a squeaky clean face with a reduced tan, amazing radiance, smaller pores, less oiliness, and reduced blackheads.
- Mung Beans – 1 cup
- Lukewarm water – (1/2) cup
- Take clean and dust-free mung beans and grind them in a blender to create a fine powder. Transfer the powder to a medium-sized bowl.
- Pour lukewarm water into the same bowl and mix them together with a spoon. You should end up with a smooth paste. The texture of the paste should be neither too thick nor too thin. Aim for a toothpaste-like consistency.
- Next, apply the paste evenly all over your face, excluding the areas surrounding your eyes and lips. Let it dry for the next 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the pack turns semi-dry, gently massage your face with your fingertips. Do this for the next 10 minutes to provide a deep cleanse to your skin.
- After the massage, rinse the paste off with either cold or lukewarm water and pat dry.
(3) Mung Bean Facial Mask
If you have some more time to spare or are looking for a cheap DIY home spa session, do try this mung bean facial mask. Your skin will feel rejuvenated and fresh within just half an hour. This mask is known for its ability maintain the pH level of skin and give it a perfect healthy glow.
- Mung beans – 1 cup
- Plain yogurt – 2 teaspoons
- Just like the previous two recipes, take clean and dust-free mung beans, place them inside a blender, and grind them thoroughly to prepare a fine powder. Shift the powder to a medium-sized bowl.
- Add plain yogurt to the bowl and mix well to form a smooth, thick paste.
- Apply the paste uniformly over your face. Wait for 20 to 30 minutes so that the mask dries up completely.
- Then, rinse it off with cold water and pat your face dry.
So, now that you know a few ways you can use mung beans as part of your skin care regimen, do try them out and see the effects for yourself. You’ll love it.
Image Credit – Featured, 1, 2, 3