No matter which type of skin you have, applying a moisturizer is a must. Even if you want to get rid of that extra oil and shine on your face while fighting against the acne and its scars, you should grab a good moisturizing product first and then, opt for specific treatments. There are many products in the market that are specifically crafted for oily and acne-prone skin and we are simplifying the hunt for you here. So, read on to find a compilation of 10 best moisturizer for oily and acne-prone skin available in the Indian market that you should try out.
Why Should You Moisturize Your Skin?
Moisturizing is one of the most important steps in every skincare regimen. Whether you use cream, lotion, or gel, you can enjoy numerous benefits by moisturizing your skin regularly. It helps maintain the right oil-water balance in the skin cells, which is essential for keeping the skin soft, smooth, and supple. It prevents blemishes, fights against wrinkles, and protects it from environmental damage. Well-moisturized skin also has a healthy and youthful sheen that is beautiful and attractive.
Read Also – How to Get Rid of Pimples on Nose
What Causes Oily Skin?
Now, let us talk about oily and acne-prone skin. The sebaceous glands under the pores in your skin produce sebum (natural oils) to keep your skin hydrated and healthy naturally. But when there is an overproduction of sebum in the skin, it becomes extra greasy even within hours of cleansing. This also leads to breakouts like acne, pimples, etc. as the sebum gets mixed with the dust, dirt, and makeup on the skin, and clogs the pores eventually. So, why do sebaceous glands produce too much sebum in some people? Following are the underlying reasons to consider (1):
- Large skin pores
- Lack of moisture
- Use of wrong cosmetics
- Overdoing the skincare regimen
Why Does Oily Skin Need a Moisturizer?
Though many people believe that they do not need to include it in their daily skincare routine as they have oily skin, the truth is that moisturizing is required by all types of skin. A moisturizer provides the skin with required hydration, which is different from the oiliness of the skin. The oiliness is caused by the overproduction of sebum from the sebaceous glands present in the skin while moisturizer restores its natural moisture levels by preventing water loss (2). If you have oily skin that is prone to acne and pimples, you need to moisturize it thoroughly in order to restore its moisture balance and get rid of the problem of oiliness. As your skin realizes that it has enough moisture and suppleness, it cuts down on the sebum production, thereby leading to a less oily face.
Using a lightweight and non-comedogenic moisturizer specially made for oily skin can put an end to your oily skin woes. It should also be oil-free and water-based to keep the pores clear.
How To Choose A Moisturizer For An Oily Skin?
If you are blessed with oily skin, selecting a moisturizer can be a difficult task. A typical moisturizer may not work for you and can make your skin greasy and acne prone. Choose a moisturizer which is lightweight and hydrating. An oil free/non-greasy moisturizer with Sun Protection Formula (SPF) is best suited for oily skin. Avoid comedogenic ingredients like coconut oil which can clog pores making it worse. Instead look for ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, panthenol or aloe vera gel in your moisturizer. Apply your moisturizer two times a day (Morning & Bed Time) after cleansing your face with a gentle face wash.
Read Also – Orange Peel Face Mask for Oily Skin & Acne
10 Best Moisturizers for Oily and Acne-Prone Skin
To help you with your choice, we have listed down 10 best moisturizers for oily and acne-prone skin available in the Indian market. Go ahead and pick one to bid goodbye to your oily patches.
1. Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturiser
The Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture is a dual-action facial moisturizer that moisturizes the dry areas of the skin well while reducing shine in the oily areas.
- Specifically formulated for combination skin but suits oily and acne-prone skin perfectly
- A sheer, lightweight, and non-greasy formula
- Has a special oil-absorbing microsponge system
- Gets absorbed into the skin fast
- Provides 24-hour moisturization
- Does not leave the skin oily or shiny
- Makes the skin softer and smoother
- Gives a natural matte finish all-day
- Comes with SPF 15 for UVA and UVB protection
- Non-comedogenic and allergy-tested lotion
- Does not clog skin pores
- Does not cause irritation to sensitive skin
- Contains no dye, alcohol, or fragrance
Price: Rs. 499 for 115 ml.
2. Himalaya Herbals Oil-Free Radiance Gel Cream
The Oil-Free Radiance Gel Cream by Himalaya Herbals is an ideal daily moisturizer for oily and acne-prone skin as it hydrates the skin intensely without leaving a greasy residue.
- A light and non-greasy gel-cream formula
- Combines safe and natural ayurvedic recipes with modern science
- Enriched with special herbs like barbary fig extracts and winter melon
- Sinks deep into the skin to provide intense moisture
- Keeps the skin healthy, protected and rejuvenated
- Makes the skin texture soft and smooth
- Leaves an oil-free, radiant glow
- Non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic, and dermatologically-tested
- Free of mineral oils and parabens
- Suitable for everyday use
Price: Rs. 260 for 50 gm.
3. Lacto Calamine Oil Balance Daily Face Care Lotion
The Lacto Calamine Oil Balance Daily Face Care Lotion by Piramal Healthcare gives a perfect oil-balanced look through its unique kaolin therapy and three-way action.
- Recognized as a superbrand in 2017
- A lightweight, water-based lotion
- Kaolin Clay Therapy for oily and acne-prone skin
- Tri-Action formula contains kaolin clay, glycerin, and zinc oxide
- Absorbs excess oil without stripping off the natural oils
- Retains the natural moisture of the skin by preventing water loss
- Unclogs pores and prevents breakouts
- Stops the build-up of acne-causing germs in the skin
- Offers excess oil control for up to 8 hours
- Removes dead skin cells
- Nourishes the skin from within
- Gives a problem-free, oil-balanced look for up to 8 hours
- Needs only 2 applications per day
Price: Rs. 198 for 60 ml.
Also Read – How to Clear Acne with Calamine Lotion
4. Sebamed Clear Face Care Gel
Keep your oily and pimple-prone skin well-moisturized and shine-free with the Sebamed Clear Face Care Gel. It also balances the pH level of the skin efficiently.
- Specially formulated gel with a pH value of 5.5
- Inhibits the growth of acne-causing bacteria biologically
- Fights against bacteria on your face to keep acne under control
- With substances like panthenol, hyaluronic acid, aloe vera, and allantoin
- Helps the skin regulate its natural oil balance
- Relieves irritation
- Smoothes rough skin
- Supports the healing of acne lesions
- Improves the moisturizer binding capacity of the skin
- Free from oils, emulsifiers, colorants, and perfumes
Price: Rs. 476 for 50 ml.
5. Lotus Herbals ALPHAMOIST Alpha Hydroxy Skin Renewal Oil-Free Moisturiser
The Lotus Herbals ALPHAMOIST Alpha Hydroxy Skin Renewal Oil-Free Moisturiser can help you pamper your oily and acne-prone skin with intense moisture and nourishment.
- A light, oil-free formulation
- Gets absorbed into the skin instantly
- Turns the skin soft and supple sans greasiness
- Comprises natural ingredients like grape extract, aloe vera extract, milk enzyme, and plant-derived alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs)
- Removes dirt and impurities from the skin
- Replenishes the skin moisture
- Heals oily and inflamed skin
- Nourishes and rejuvenates the skin deeply
- Reveals fresh, glowing, and younger-looking skin
- Provides a vibrant smooth complexion
Price: Rs. 295 for 80 ml.
6. Pond’s Light Moisturizer
New Pond’s Light Moisturizer is a lightweight, sensorial cream formulated by the Pond’s Institute to give even the oiliest skin a soft, moisturised, and fresh glow all-round the year.
- Non-oily and 80% water-based cream
- Gets absorbed into the skin instantly without leaving any sticky residue
- A rich, luxurious moisturizer infused with vitamin E and glycerine
- Moisturizes the skin from deep within
- Features 24-hour moisture lock technology with glutamic acid (an amino acid produced in our body naturally)
- Prevents water loss and locks in the natural moisture
- Enhances health and radiance of the skin
- Keeps it soft and smooth all day long
- Comes with SPF 15 to block UV rays and avert sun damage
Price: Rs. 199 for 150 ml.
7. Re’equil Oil-Free Mattifying Moisturiser
The Re’equil Oil-Free Mattifying Moisturiser is a non-comedogenic product that is ideal for oily and acne-prone skin. It hydrates intensely and lends a long-lasting matte look.
- An ultra-light and non-greasy gel formula
- Enriched with cydonian green apple tree leaf extract
- Penetrates deep into the skin quickly
- Keeps the skin intensely hydrated
- Non-comedogenic and dermatologically-tested
- Reduces the appearance of large pores by shrinking them
- Does not clog pores and prevents future acne breakouts
- Smoothes rough, uneven skin
- Gives a fresh, revived, and matte look for up to 6 hours
- Eliminates the oily shine from the face
- Free from parabens, sulfates, silicones, and mineral oils
Price: Rs. 440 for 50 gm.
8. Plum Green Tea Mattifying Moisturizer
This Plum Green Tea Mattifying Moisturizer is specially formulated for people with oily and acne-prone skin. It offers multidimensional care with a non-greasy matte finish.
- A lightweight, non-greasy moisturizer for daytime use
- Made of hand-picked non-comedogenic ingredients
- Contains antioxidative green tea leaf extract, glycolic acid, etc.
- Puts a stop to the buildup of skin debris
- Prevents acne by reducing bacterial proliferation
- Renews the skin by clearing up acne
- Offers controlled hydration with a non-shiny matte finish
- Gives a fresh, clear appearance with a pleasant after-feel
- 100% free from parabens, sulfates, phthalates, and silicone
Price: Rs. 470 for 50 ml.
9. Aroma Magic Juniper Berry Oil Free Moisturiser
If you have oily skin, the Aroma Magic Juniper Berry Oil Free Moisturiser is another great choice for you. It moisturizes, protects, and brightens the skin beautifully.
- Aromatherapy for non-greasy moisturization
- Combines the goodness of juniper berry extract, cucumber extract, patchouli essential oil, lemongrass essential oil, aloe vera juice, and jojoba oil
- Regulates the oil level in the skin
- Protects the skin from sun damage with SPF 15
- Lightens the blemishes and brightens the skin
- Heals acne breakouts and scars
- Restores the healthy and youthful look of the skin
- Specially formulated for oily skin
- 100% free of petrochemicals, phthalates, toxic ingredients, parabens, artificial fragrance and color
Price: Rs. 190 for 100 ml.
10. Oshea Herbals GrapeMoist Moisturising Lotion
Moisturize your oily and acne-prone skin with the effective bioactive ingredients in the Oshea Herbals GrapeMoist Moisturising Lotion. You will get a replenished and glowing skin easily.
- A herbal product based on the traditional Vedic system of Ayurveda
- Very light and completely oil-free formulation
- Enriched with grape extract, aloe vera extract, almond oil, wheat germ oil, and plant-derived alpha hydroxy acids
- Provides 2X moisturization
- Locks in and maintain the natural moisture of the skin
- Keeps the skin soft and supple
- Makes the skin texture incredibly smooth
- Gives a radiant complexion
- Suitable for normal to oily skin
Price: Rs. 225 for 120 ml.
Summary:When the sebaceous glands in our skin become overproductive, the secretion of sebum gets increased. It not only makes the skin greasy but also causes breakouts. While most moisturizing products available in the market will aggravate the condition of oily skin, you should not stop moisturizing your skin completely for this. Rather, look for water-based and non-comedogenic moisturizing products that are specially made for oily and acne-prone skin. Make sure that you pick one from the list of 10 best moisturizers for oily and acne-prone skin to treat your face the right way.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which Oils Won’t Clog Pores?
Some natural oils that do not clog pores and hence, can be used by people with oily and acne-prone skin. This includes hemp seed oil, argan oil, shea butter, neem. sunflower seed oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, etc.
Is Vaseline Good for Acne?
While Vaseline cannot heal acne directly, the protective petroleum jelly formula can help the skin recover fast from it by keeping bacteria away.
What Ingredients Cause Acne?
The most common ingredients found in moisturizers that can give you acne include isopropyl myristate, lanolin, mineral oil, fragrance, synthetic color, silicone, sodium lauryl sulfate, etc.