Basil, also called the ‘king of herbs‘, has been holding a prominent place in Indian Ayurveda for more than 5,000 years. Belonging to the mint family, this versatile herb is can be of different types and all of them come with their own signature aroma. The medicinal and culinary uses of basil are quite well-known, but it is yet to gain popularity as a powerful natural acne treatment. Yes, you can use basil to treat acne, breakouts, and pimples. Let’s talk about it in this article.
Why Use Basil To Treat Breakouts?
When it comes to treating any kind of breakouts including acne, pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, etc. in a natural way, basil acts as an all-rounder. But what makes the herb such a powerful acne remedy? Let’s find out:
- Basil has excellent antimicrobial properties, which make it a highly effective cure for breakouts. It can prevent the overgrowth of acne-causing bacteria named Propionibacterium Acnes and drive them away successfully.
- The herb can even put a stop to staph infections in our skin in which the bacteria become resistant to antibiotics and keep growing at a rapid pace.
- The natural oils present in basil can deep cleanse the skin and unclog the pores by eliminating excess sebum, dirt, dead cells, and other impurities from them.
- Being a natural antibacterial and antifungal agent, basil helps in removing toxins from the bloodstream. As the blood gets purified, the possibilities of developing more breakouts in future go down.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of basil not only help in reducing the swelling of pimples by soothing inflammation but also curb the pain associated with them.
Also Read – Best Acne Fighter- Benzoyl Peroxide Or Salicylic Acid Here
Basil Remedies To Treat Acne And Pimples
Now, as you have wised up, it is time to explore some amazing basil remedies that would help you get rid of those unsightly acne, breakouts, and pimples in an easy and natural way. Here we go:
1. Fresh Basil Juice
Collect some fresh organic basil leaves and clean them properly. Crush them well to take out the juice. Apply it all over your face or only to the troubled parts with the help of a cotton ball and massage gently with fingertips. Wait for 15 minutes so that the juice gets absorbed into the skin completely. Then, wash off with cold water. Keep repeating twice a day until you get desired results.
2. Regular Basil Tea Toner
Prepare a basil tea toner by boiling 5 to 10 fresh basil leaves in a cup of water for 7 to 10 minutes. Strain the liquid and discard the basil particles. Let the toner cool down completely and then, apply it to the troubled areas of your skin with a cotton ball. It will dry up automatically and you do not need to wash it off. Use it as many times as possible in a day to enjoy a clear skin.
N.B.: You can also replace the fresh leaves with 2 tablespoons of dried leaves or basil powder. However, if you use fresh basil leaves, make sure that you crush them a little to help most of its natural oil transfer to the water.
Also Read – Toothpaste: Your Panacea For Pimple Here
3. Basil Essential Oil Toner
Basil essential oil is also very much effective in treating acne, breakouts, and pimples. You can buy a bottle of this oil from a reputed brand and use 8 to 10 drops in 3 tablespoons of water to prepare your toner mixture. Apply it to your acne and pimples in a regular manner to shrink them up and heal eventually. This will also help you prevent further breakouts and get a flawless skin over time.
4. Herbal Basil Toner
Here is another excellent basil toner recipe that comes with the goodness of many other herbs. Prepare a green tea infusion by boiling and dissolving thyme and basil leaves in water. Take 6 tablespoons of this infusion in a bowl and pour some more boiling water into it. Add 5 to 7 drops of tea tree oil to the infusion and keep the bowl aside for 20 minutes. Once it reaches the room temperature, strain the mixture carefully and pour 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar to it. Mix well and use it as a facial toner to keep acne and pimples at bay.
Also Read – Learn Different Tricks To Cover Up Your Breakouts Easily Here
5. Basil Facial Steaming
Give yourself a facial steaming by adding a few fresh basil leaves to a pot of boiling water. All you need to do is to lean over the pot and steam your face thoroughly for 10 to 15 minutes. It will help you get a clean, supple, and refreshed face by opening up the clogged skin pores and offering a deep cleansing. When done with the facial steaming, splash fresh cold water on your skin. This should be practiced at least thrice every week in order to both heal existing acne and avert its growth.
6. Basil And Gram Flour Face Mask
Take some dried basil and mint leaves in a bowl. Grind them together to make a fine powder. Add a little gram flour and 3 to 4 tablespoons of water to it. Combine well so that you can come up with a smooth thick paste. Apply this mask to your whole face and wait for 15 minutes. Then, rinse off with cold water to reveal an acne and blemish-free beautiful skin. Do not forget to use this mask at least twice every week to get the best results.
Also Read – Revealing The Link Between Oil Pulling And Acne Here
7. Basil And Neem Face Mask
Take fresh and clean basil leaves and neem leaves 5 to 7 each in a food processor. Add a little water to them and form a smooth paste of medium consistency. Spread it all over your face and wash off after 15 minutes with fresh cold water. Both basil and neem will induce antimicrobial effects in your skin and put a stop to those pesky breakouts. Repeat thrice a week and the result will be visible in just a couple of weeks.
Other Skin Benefits Of Basil
Being loaded with antioxidants, basil can do a lot more good to our skin rather than just treating acne and pimples. Have a look at them:
- Takes overall care of the skin by detoxifying it, protecting it from sun damages, and slowing down aging.
- Lightens the skin tone and adds a natural glow it.
- Gives a blemish-free skin by tightening the skin pores.
- Treats insect bites and keeps a number of skin infections (eczema, psoriasis, etc.) away.
Also Read – How To Get Rid Of Pimples On Nose Here
Image Credit – Featured, 1, 2