Do you think that cleansing the skin effectively and leaving it deeply moisturized is never possible by a single product? Let us tell you that you are wrong. If you are struggling with dry skin and looking for a fabulous alternative to your regular soap, shower gel is the right thing for you. Unlike typical moisturizing products like creams, lotions, and body butters, shower gels start offering moisturization right from the shower so that you get a squeaky clean yet super soft skin with no sign of dehydration. So, here we are with the list of 10 best shower gels for dry skin that will help you in cleansing, hydrating, and pampering your skin the right way.
What is Shower Gel?
The shower gel is a unique gel-textured cleansing product, which is particularly formulated for cleansing the body during showers. Though it looks like liquid soap or shampoo, it is much gentler and more luxurious. (1) The basic components of shower gel are water, betaines, SLS (sodium laureth sulfate), etc., which are very much similar to those of soap. But instead of saponified oils, the versatile and aromatic shower gel contains synthetic detergents obtained from petroleum or plant-based sources as surfactants. Hence, it has a lower pH value than regular soaps (2). It also feels less drying to the skin (3), which makes it a perfect choice for everyday use. Based on the types, shower gel formulations may also contain emulsifiers, conditioning agents, essential oils, colorants, microbeads, etc.
The formula behind the liquid soap was first patented by William Shepphard in the year 1865 (4). Later, in the 1800s, shower gel was launched as a derivative invention of it for cleaning the entire body during baths and showers.
How Does Shower Gel Work?
Shower gel works through the process of emulsification. As the surfactant in the gel loosens the bond between dirt and skin, the dirt gets stuck to it and is ‘lifted’ easily. The foaming bubbles produced by shower gel also help in collecting the dirt from the skin effortlessly. Finally, it can be rinsed away with plain water just like a traditional soap.
Benefits of Shower Gel
Though shower gel is pricier than regular bathing soap, it comes with significant advantages. Here is how the product may benefit your skin:
- Does not strip the skin of all its natural moisture
- Does not cause irritation, itchiness, or allergies to dry skin
- Delivers additional hydration and moisturization
- Nourishes the skin thoroughly while cleansing it
- Leaves the skin feeling soft, smooth, and plump
- Provides healing benefits to the damaged skin
- Comes in tailored variants based on unique requirements of the skin
- Offers long-lasting aroma
Read Also – Palmolive Aroma Morning Tonic Shower Gel Review
Shower Gel vs. Body Wash vs. Shower Cream
These days, the terms ‘shower gel’ and ‘body wash’ are used interchangeably. Though both of them are used to cleanse the body, there are differences in texture and consistency. While shower gel has a gel-like texture with a thicker consistency, body wash is much more like a liquid soap with a watery texture and thinner consistency. On the other hand, shower cream has a slick, lotion-like consistency with a smooth, creamy texture. (5)
Why Use Shower Gel for Dry Skin?
A shower gel that is made for dry skin is normally rich in moisturizing agents like cocoa butter, avocado, milk cream, or oils of olive or coconut. These shower gels help in cleansing the skin effectively during each bath and replenishing the lost moisture it. A bottle of shower gel will last you a good 2-3 months and can be a wise purchase if you want to get rid of dryness from soaps.
10 Best Shower Gels for Dry Skin in India
So, are you ready to ditch your regular soaps to avoid skin dehydration? Check out this list of 10 best shower gels for dry skin in India that will hydrate your skin intensely and make it feel soft and supple:
1. Vaadi Herbals Breezy Olive & Green Apple Shower Gel
The Vaadi Herbals Breezy Olive & Green Apple Shower Gel is an innovative product that moisturizes dry skin thoroughly and breathes new life into it. It also offers wonderful anti-aging and skin whitening effects.
- 100% organic naturals with no chemicals or parabens
- Active ingredients include olive extract and steam-distilled green apple extract
- Enriched with coconut oil, cane sugar, organic honey, and the extracts of sandalwood, pure turmeric, avocado, and papaya
- Penetrates deep into the skin and hydrates it
- Nourishes the skin with essential nutrients
- Improves the quality and texture of the skin
- Leaves the skin soft and supple to touch
- Protects from pollution and sun damage
- Combats the signs of premature aging
- Lightens the skin tone over time
- Cleanses the skin to clear off marks and blemishes
- Enlivens dry and dull skin
Price: Rs. 230 for 300 ml.
2. Biotique Bio Morning Nectar Visibly Flawless Shower Gel
The brand ‘Biotique’ is all about ‘advanced ayurveda’ and its Bio Morning Nectar Visibly Flawless Shower Gel is a bliss to the dry and dehydrated skin. It replenishes the moisture in the skin with nectar for a healed and revitalized appearance.
- A soap-free ayurvedic formulation with 100% natural botanicals
- Contains organically pure and preservative-free ingredients
- Uses nectar for deep moisturization and nourishment
- Contains pure turmeric, vetiver, gehun seeds, rose, honey, reetha, and Himalayan water
- Washes away impurities without disturbing its pH balance
- Restores the natural moisture of the skin
- Promotes cell renewal and heals damaged skin
- Makes the skin softer, brighter, and younger-looking
- Dermatologically tested for safety
- Comes in eco-friendly and recyclable packaging
Price: Rs. 199 for 200 ml.
3. Nyassa Under The Ocean Shower Gel
Envelop your senses with the fresh aquatic fragrance of the Nyassa Under The Ocean Shower Gel as it nourishes, protects, and rejuvenates your dry and parched skin with wholesome natural extracts.
- A handmade, natural, and 100% vegetarian product
- Fortified with seaweed and beetroot extracts
- Cleanses very gently and soothes the skin
- Provides a high level of hydration to the skin
- Nurtures, nourishes, and protects the skin
- Fights against fine lines and wrinkles
- Gives soft and supple skin that glows with health
- Features a moderate aquatic fragrance that lingers on for a long time
- Contains no harsh chemicals like parabens, phthalates, SLS, and SLES
Price: Rs. 450 for 145 ml.
4. Nykaa Wanderlust French Lavender Shower Gel
This French Lavender Shower gel from the Nykaa Wanderlust Bath & Body Collection is exactly what your dry and dull skin deserves for its health and well-being. Treat your skin to the comfort with lingering floral fragrances.
- A highly refreshing formula
- Infused with pure aloe vera gel
- Cleanses the skin gently
- Nourishes the skin deeply
- Creates lots of comforting rich lather
- Leaves the skin soft and supple
- Does not contain parabens
- Has a sweet and calming aroma of French Lavender
Price: Rs. 350 for 300 ml.
5. Aloe Veda Strawberry Luxury Shower Gel
Inspired by ayurveda and aloe vera, this Aloe Veda Strawberry Luxury Shower Gel pampers the skin with luxurious hydration while leaving it sparkling clean and baby soft.
- A richly foaming, soap-free formulation
- Blends aloe vera, glycerine, strawberry extract, and essential oils
- Rich in vitamins and antioxidants
- Cleanses the skin gently yet effectively
- Sloughs off dead skin cells
- Intensely moisturizes and conditions the skin
- Soothes and heals dehydrated skin
- Keeps inflammation at bay
- Gives a nourishing bathing experience
- Leaves a pleasant fragrance behind
- Suitable for all types of skin
- Ideal for dry and parched skin
Price: Rs. 210 for 300 ml.
6. Inatur Pomegranate Shower Gel
Give your dry skin a delightful treat with 100% natural organic ingredients used in the Inatur Pomegranate Shower Gel. This invigoratingly formulated product works lusciously on the skin to leave it soft, glowing, and irresistibly fragrant.
- An extremely gentle, pH-balanced formulation
- Enriched with pure pomegranate oil, black pepper oil, and raspberry seed oil
- Helps in exfoliation and nourishment of the skin
- Treats dry skin conditions effectively
- Slows down the process of aging
- Keeps acne away
- Protects from sun damage
- Repairs and heals damaged skin cells
- Has an exotic, refreshing yet mild fragrance
- Can be used on the facial skin
- Absolutely safe on kids
- Suitable for all types of skin
- Does not contain sulfate
Price: Rs. 650 for 350 ml.
7. SoulTree Wild Aamla & Hydrating Aloe Shower gel
The SoulTree Wild Amla & Hydrating Aloe Shower Gel is an aromatic and antioxidant-rich product made of handpicked organic ingredients. It not only hydrates dry skin deeply but also invigorates it and leaves it glowing.
- A soap-free, organic, 100% vegetarian formulation
- Certified ‘Natural’ by BDIH, Germany
- Contains the goodness of wild amla, manjistha, vetiver, and aloe vera
- Cleanses gently without causing dryness
- Hydrates and moisturizes the skin thoroughly
- Soothes and calms down inflamed skin
- Leaves the skin fresh, energized, and radiant
- Features a sweet, citrusy fragrance
- Does not contain parabens, silicones, lead, DEA/TEA, phthalates, SLS/SLES, mineral oil, petrolatum, preservatives, synthetic colors, and synthetic fragrance
- Suitable for all skin types
Price: Rs. 525 for 250 ml.
8. Kronokare Hydrating – Time! – Shower Gel
This Hydrating – Time! – Shower Gel from the aromatherapy inspired range by Kronokare is a vegetarian formula with rare and precious botanical extracts. It protects the natural moisture barrier of the skin and leaves dry skin deeply hydrated.
- Formulated with sulfate-free surfactant
- Infused with pure essential oils of orange, bergamot, and grapefruit along with sunflower seed oil and glycerine
- Ensures gentle cleanse
- Provides the skin with a serious dose of moisture
- Nourishes the skin and locks the moisture in it
- Leaves the skin soft and supple
- Free of harmful chemicals like sulfate, parabens, silicone, and mineral oil
- Ideal for normal to dry skin
- Perfectly suitable for sensitive skin
- Available in recyclable packaging
Price: Rs. 495 for 320 ml.
9. Nivea Waterlily & Oil Shower Gel
The Nivea Waterlily & Oil Shower Gel combines pampering care with tempting freshness for dry skin under the shower. It moisturizes the skin intensely with its silky soft foam while its refreshing aroma stimulates the senses.
- Comes with advanced Hydra IQ moisture technology
- Produces a rich and silky-soft foam
- Enriched with care oil pearls
- Cleanses effectively while maintaining pH balance
- Hydrates the skin better than soap
- Leaves the skin moisturized even after towel drying
- Makes the skin soft and supple
- Provides long-lasting freshness
- Elicits the invigorating scent of waterlily flower
- Relaxes and rejuvenates with every shower
- Dermatologically approved for skin tolerance
Price: Rs. 190 for 250 ml.
10. The Body Shop Olive Bath Shower Gel
The Body Shop Olive Bath Shower Gel not only turns your shower into a Mediterranean delight but also works wonders for your dry, parched skin. Use this premium product daily for leaving your skin cleansed, soft, and mildly scented.
- A 100% soap-free formulation with a liquid-gel texture
- Contains Community Trade organic, cold-pressed olive oil from Italy
- Produces a rich lather
- Cleanses the impurities gently
- Makes the skin softer and smoother
- Has calming and revitalizing properties
- Comes with a neutral scent of olive
- Can be used every day
Price: Rs. 345 for 250 ml.
Read Also – Top Bath Salts Available in India
For dry skin, it is important to keep the temperature of water low so that it does not dry out the skin even more. Make sure that you do not scrub your skin too hard with the loofah or washcloth. It will irritate your skin and turn it red. Also, do not forget to wash the loofah regularly and replace it whenever needed.
How to Use a Shower Gel?
Once you are done with the selection of the best shower gel for your dry skin, use it the right way to make the most of it. Here are different ways to apply shower gel:
- Squeeze a little shower gel onto your wet palms and apply it all over your body with your hands while standing in the shower. If you want to lather it up a bit, simply rub your hands together and you will be good to go. This is the easiest, cheapest, and most convenient way you can ever follow.
- Using a loofah for the application of shower gel is the most common and widely practiced method. This will give your skin some extra buffing and turn your shower into a spa-like experience. Just pour a few squirts of shower gel on the loofah, wet it slightly under the faucet, and rub it all over your body.
- You can also replace the loofah with a good, old washcloth. All you need to do is wet it a little bit before dispensing the shower gel onto it. Rubbing it against the skin will create suds and help you exfoliate the skin beautifully.
The shower gel is a versatile, gel-textured, aromatic body cleanser used during showers. It is much gentler and more luxurious than traditional soap, shampoo, and even liquid soap. There are subtle differences in the formulations, textures, and consistencies of shower gels, body washes, and shower creams. Instead of saponified oils, shower gel contains synthetic detergents obtained from petroleum or plant sources as surfactants. Due to low pH value, it keeps the skin hydrated and soft rather than stripping it of its natural moisture. Shower gel makes the skin dirt-free through the process of emulsification while nourishing, healing, and smoothening it. It delivers extra hydration and moisturization to dry skin without causing irritation, itchiness, or allergies to it. It also gives long-lasting aroma for stimulating your senses throughout the day. You can avail of shower gel in tailored variants based on the unique requirements of your skin. It is also important to apply shower gel the right way for enjoying the optimal results.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are Shower Gel and Body Washes Hygienic?
Look into the label of the product in order to know whether the ingredients used in it are hygienic and skin-friendly or not.
Can Shower Gel Be Used As Soap?
Of course. In fact, shower gels are gentler and more effective alternatives to traditional bar soaps used for bathing.
Is Shower Gel a Soap or Shampoo?
No, a shower gel is not a shampoo but it can easily be used as one.
Does Shower Gel Dry Out the Skin?
Usually, the surfactants used in shower gels are different than those used in soaps. They are much gentler on the skin and do not dry it out.
Should You Dry Off After Shower?
You can either towel dry or air dry your skin after a shower. For towel drying, you must avoid rubbing and simply pat your skin dry.
- “Shower Gel“, Wikipedia.org
- “Please Help Me Understand Why You Still Use Bar Soaps“, Glamour.com
- “How to Take a Shower, According to Dermatologists“, NBCNews.com
- “The First Patent for Liquid Soap was Issued to William Sheppard on This Day in 1865“, Edu.RSC.org
- “Shower Gel vs. Body Wash vs. Bar Soap: Which Body Cleanser Is Right for You?“, DermStore.com