Say one skincare product that is indispensable for the health of our skin and ‘sunscreen’ will top the list for sure. From general healthcare professionals to expert dermatologists, all advises us to wear sunscreen every single day irrespective of the season of the year. But the question is, how exactly should you wear sunscreen under your makeup? Yes, we understand your confusion girls! So today, let’s talk about this very basic yet extremely important topic.
What SPF To Wear?
Before we jump into the method of applying and reapplying sunscreen under makeup, it is crucial to know about the level of protection we actually need to shield our skin from the damaging effects of the sun rays. Find a sunscreen that contains three key ingredients i.e. zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, and avobenzone. It is the very first rule to follow for ensuring the maximum protection from both UVA and UVB rays of the sun. Next, is the Sun Protection Factor or SPF. Make sure that you pick at least SPF 30 and massage it into the uncovered parts of the body (exposed to the sun) until it is absorbed completely.
Also Read – Does Sunscreen Trigger Acne- Facts Revealed! Here
Is SPF In Makeup Enough?
What if your makeup products already come with certain SPFs? After all, you are going to slather a layer of your makeup over your sunscreen. So, will not it be enough? No, it’ll not be sufficient for your skin to use only makeup with SPF and skip the sunscreen totally. Firstly, the SPF offered by makeup products is not at all reliable, when it comes to the protection of skin from sun damages. Secondly, the applications and coverage of makeup items differ widely, which eventually impact the effectiveness of their SPFs. Hence, you must apply sunscreen underneath your foundation or moisturizer, no matter whether your makeup includes SPF or not.
How To Apply Sunscreen Under Makeup?
The rule of thumb of applying sunscreen is, ‘Apply it every day and throughout the day’. But how to apply it when you also need to put some makeup on? Check out the method below:
- Cleanse your face with a mild cleanser and plain cold water. You might also want to exfoliate gently at this stage if you wish. Pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Tone up your face by using a suitable toner. This step is important, especially if you have open pore issues.
- Take enough sunscreen onto your palm and apply it all over your face, neck, and other open parts of your skin that are going to be exposed to the sun. Try to apply it as evenly as possible.
- Wait for 15-20 minutes and allow the sunscreen to sit. It will help in complete absorption of the product and give you a perfect base for your makeup application.
- Now, apply your favorite moisturizer followed by your foundation and other makeup products.
Also Read – Expired Sunscreen vs. No Sunscreen – Unfold the Truth Here
How To Reapply Sunscreen With Makeup On?
Like we said earlier, sunscreen needs to be reapplied throughout the day. According to experts, one should reapply sunscreen every 2 hours based on the SPF chosen. But how to do it rightly when you have your makeup on? Will it not spoil your carefully made up face? Well, you can avoid a mess while reapplying sunscreen just by following a few tips. Here we go:
- Ideally, you can wipe or wash off all your makeup and apply another layer of sunscreen. However, it would really be a bad idea and hence, we are giving you a couple of alternatives below.
- Get a high-quality loose powder with added SPF and apply it all over your face with the help of a powder brush whenever you need to reapply your sunscreen.
- A translucent mineral powder including certain SPF will also serve the same purpose. It will regulate excess oil production, thereby increasing the effectiveness of the sunscreen underneath your makeup.
- There is tinted compact with added SPF that can be applied over your makeup for a fresh touch of sun protection.
- You might also opt for a cushion compact that will help you press your makeup in along with some extra sun protection factor.
Also Read – Sunscreen Facts Decoded – Which sunscreen is best for you ? Here
Some More Tips To Follow
Now, you know how to apply sunscreen under your makeup and reapply it even when you have already applied your makeup. We have some more essential tips for you that would help you make the most of your sunscreen application:
- If you have an oily, sensitive, and acne-prone skin, try to find a lightweight (e.g. matte gel) formula for yourself that would absorb into the skin fast without giving a greasy feel.
- There are lots of sunscreen lotions available in the market, which act like moisturizers and go deep into the skin without leaving zero cast. These will be the best for wearing under makeup.
- Try to use mineral makeup as it helps in retaining the effectiveness of sunscreen when layered over it.
- You may replace your foundation with a tinted sunscreen that matches your skin tone.
So are you ready to change your daily SPF routine for maximum protection?