Skincare is considered an essential part of every woman’s beauty regime, especially in this modern age of dirt, dust, and pollution. However, irregularity and negligence in maintenance can result in several skin problems such as early signs of aging, acne, and more. It has been observed in medical surveys that more than 75% of women tend to suffer from skin problems such as cystic acne, blackheads, and whiteheads. Read below to learn more about acne-related skin problems, their causes, remedies, and more.
Acne Skin Problem: An Overview
Acne is a typical problem among women and most often develops as soon as puberty starts. Considered a long-term skin disease that can affect any age group, acne occurs when the hair follicles get stuck in the oily dead cells of the skin. It is often observed that people with oily skin types get affected by this problem easily. From pimples, skin scars to severe blackheads, different issues can lead to depression, low confidence, stress, and anxiety. In addition, dermatologists say that due to more oil glands in the upper part of our body, areas such as the face, neck, upper arms, back, etc., are more affected. (1)
Causes of Acne Problem
Acne has been associated with some common yet serious causes that need to be controlled beforehand. Though acne is not dangerous, it can badly affect an individual’s psychology. Here we have noted down some of the prominent causes of acne to help you better: (2)
1. Hormonal imbalance
One of the prime causes of acne is a hormonal disturbance in the human body. If an individual has a higher androgen level, he/she will be more prone to this skin disease. With more androgen in the body, the oil glands tend to expand, thus resulting in breakage of cellular walls of the skin and pore-clogging. This in turn gives birth to acne-producing bacteria on the skin. (3)
2. Genetic problem
Most of the time, an individual inherits his/her skin pattern and qualities from parents or family members. Thus, skin experts have concluded that almost 80% of cases of acne are genetic.
3. Side effect of some medicines
Thirdly, if a person is taking any medication that comprises high dose androgen and lithium components, the chances of acne are always higher.
4. Menstruation problem
Having problems in menstruation is yet another cause of acne in women. Doctors believe that irregular periods, improper blood discharge, and other difficulties boost up the chance of this skin problem.
5. Improper usage of cosmetics and makeup products
Most cosmetic products are made of chemical ingredients, resulting in multiple skin issues. To reduce the possibility of acne, dermatologists recommend high-quality makeup products.
6. Mental stress, anxiety, and incorrect lifestyle
Finally, an undisciplined lifestyle comprising mental stress, anxiety, and inappropriate diet causes acne and other skin-related problems.
Benzoyl Peroxide Vs. Salicylic Acid
Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic Acid are excellent acne fighters. Most creams and lotions available in the market contain Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic Acid. Here we have discussed the two most active ingredients to help you decide better:
Salicylic Acid, also known as Betahydroxy Acid or BHA is developed by treating the powdered bark of willow tree with oxidants. It can penetrate deep into the skin pore and dissolve dead skin build-up. It peels away the top layer of the skin and does not let the pores get clogged. (4)
Salicylic Acid also has excellent anti-inflammatory properties and is more suited for sensitive skin. It works well for people whose skin is prone to blackheads. Salicylic Acid helps in the exfoliation of the skin, and it also reduces inflammation. It is highly effective in fighting acne and, at the same time, soothes the skin.
Skin Types Suitable for Usage of Salicylic Acid
As per skin experts, Salicylic Acid is best suited for three skin types on the Fitzpatrick Scale comprising of the following:
- Skin Type IV (Mostly considered as the Mediterranean or Hispanic skin, this skin complexion is considered between beige to brown),
- Skin Type V ( Dark brown skin that quickly gets tanned)
- Skin Type VI (Black skin color that tans very fast).
Pros of Salicylic Acid
- It helps exfoliate and remove the top layer of dead skin cells.
- With regular use, this ingredient helps reduce the skin pore size.
- It has natural soothing qualities, thus providing relief from inflammation.
Cons of Salicylic Acid
Over usage of this component can result in various side effects.
- It works slowly, thereby taking more time to show results.
- It does not significantly affect the acne bacteria present in the pores.
- It does not stop the excess sebum production, which causes acne.
Benzoyl peroxide is another active ingredient used to kill bacteria that contributes to the production of acne. In addition, it helps in peeling off the dead skin cells and exfoliating the skin. Generally found in most lotions, gels, and creams, Benzoyl Peroxide controls the sebum, which is responsible for causing acne bumps in the body. (5)
Pros of Benzoyl Peroxide
- It works much quicker in comparison to Salicylic Acid
- Unlike Salicylic Acid, it helps kill acne bacteria.
Cons of Benzoyl Peroxide
- Benzoyl Peroxide can cause skin redness, dryness, and swelling if misused.
- Using other acne prescriptions is not advised while your skin is treated with benzoyl peroxide.
- In the case of sensitive skin, Benzoyl Peroxide can result in hyperpigmentation and sensation.
Home Remedies to Consider
To get rid of acne naturally, try out the following simple yet effective solutions :
- Banking on a proper diet is most essential. Enrich your meals with green vegetables and fruits that help repair and revive your skin.
- Other solutions such as tea tree oil and green tea work wonder as natural acne fighters.
- Moisturizing your skin daily, especially with aloe vera gel, helps reduce acne problems.