Do you continuously struggle with your gray hair and pretend it does not exist? Well, hair graying is one of the common natural processes that happen to our hair as we age. While you cannot stay young forever, the appearance of those silver lines on your head can make you worried. Rather than resorting to chemical hair coloring for this, it is always better to try a well-balanced diet and shampoos made of natural pigments like henna, hibiscus, or shikakai. In this article, let’s take a look at the causes of graying, its natural remedies, and 10 best shampoos for gray hair available in India.
What is Gray Hair?
Gray hair is basically the pigment-less version of regular hair. When the shaft of the hair loses its natural pigment named ‘melanin’, it turns gray in color (1). However, the level of pigmentation is not the only difference between gray hair and black hair. They also differ in texture and feel. Typically, gray hair is thinner and coarser than its pigmented counterparts. Sometimes it even feels rough and less manageable too.
Read Also – 4 Best Oils to Darken Your Hair Naturally
What Causes Graying of Hair?
A number of factors can be responsible for the appearance of gray hair. Identifying the right reason will help you treat it the right way. Following are some common causes to take into account:
- Genetics (2)
- Unbalanced diet (3), (4)
- Poor lifestyle
- Stress and anxiety
- A habit of smoking (5)
- Passive smoking (6)
Read Also – 10 Best Home Remedies to Lighten Hair Naturally
10 Best Shampoos for Gray Hair You Should Try
Certain shampoos in the market can help you combat gray to some extent. So, here is a list of the best shampoos for gray hair that you need in your life right now:
1. Biotique Bio Henna Leaf Fresh Texture Shampoo & Conditioner
The Biotique Bio Henna Leaf Fresh Texture Shampoo & Conditioner is a dual-action Ayurvedic formula with 100% natural ingredients like henna, soap nut, and brahmi. It nourishes hair and improves hair health while preventing premature graying and adding a beautiful brown tint to the hair.
- Advanced ayurvedic formulation with 100% natural ingredients
- A luxurious blend of pure henna leaves, soap nut, and brahmi
- Dual-action formula for cleansing and conditioning together
- Prevents premature graying
- Adds a rich brown tint to hair
- Enhances scalp health
- Gives hair a smooth texture
- Reduces hair loss
- Promotes hair growth
- Leaves hair full of natural body
- Makes hair shiny
- Can be used daily
Price: Rs. 159 for 190 ml.
2. Khadi Natural Heena & Tulsi Extra Conditioning Hair Cleanser
The Khadi Natural Heena & Tulsi Extra Conditioning Hair Cleanser is a brilliant concoction of ayurvedic herbs that cleanses, nourishes, and conditions hair thoroughly. It also reverses premature graying of hair and promotes its growth significantly.
- Combines henna, tulsi, reetha, amla, shikakai, brahmi, aloe vera, and honey
- Deeply cleanses hair follicles
- Moisturizes and nourishes hair roots
- Restores oil and pH balance of the scalp
- Offers extra conditioning for hair
- Hydrates hair roots to make frizzy hair manageable
- Keeps dandruff and scalp infections away
- Prevents hair loss
- Stimulates hair growth
- Adds a rich gloss to hair
- Reverses premature graying of hair
- Ideal for dry hair and gray hair
- SLS- and paraben-free
Price: Rs. 235 for 210 ml.
3. Tvam Henna Extra Conditioning Hair Cleanser
As the name suggests, the Tvam Henna Extra Conditioning Cleanser is intended for cleansing the scalp while conditioning your hair deeply. But while using it regularly, you can get rid of premature graying and enhance the overall health of your hair too.
- Enriched with ancient Ayurvedic ingredients like amla, methi, shikakai, aloe vera, bhringraj, tulsi, and henna
- Cleanses hair follicles deeply
- Conditions and energizes the scalp
- Provides intense moisture to dry, frizzy hair
- Nourishes fine hair to make it thicker
- Makes hair soft, smooth, and shiny
- Repairs hair follicles and reduces frequent hair fall
- Activates hair roots to facilitate the growth of hair
- Deepens hair color while preventing premature graying
- Best for dry and gray hair
Price: Rs. 975 for 200 ml.
4. Jovees Hair Solution Henna & Ginseng Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo
The Jovees Hair Solution Henna & Ginseng Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo not only puts a stop to your hair fall problem but also prevents your hair from turning gray before time. It also helps in making hair stronger, thicker, and smoother with its proven therapeutic properties.
- An all-natural solution for most hair problems
- Cleanses the scalp mildly by removing excess oil
- Nourishes and strengthens hair shafts
- Makes the texture of hair smoother and healthier
- Controls hair loss to a great extent
- Protects hair from graying upon regular use
- Improves the natural color of hair
- Suits all types of hair
- Free from parabens, alcohol, and all other types of chemicals
Price: Rs. 135 for 125 ml.
5. Khadi Natural Amla & Bhringraj Hair Cleanser
The Khadi Natural Amla & Bhringraj Hair Cleanser is a potent combination made of natural hair-friendly ingredients. It reduces premature pigment loss from hair and reverses graying as well. The shampoo also makes hair healthy, manageable, and lustrous.
- Packed with the extracts of reetha, amla, haritaki, neem oil, bhringraj, aloe vera, and henna
- Acts as a natural cleanser and conditioner
- Improves scalp health by keeping it clean
- Strengthens hair fibers
- Reduces premature pigment loss from hair
- Turns gray hair black naturally
- Makes hair shiny and lustrous
- Supports the growth of hair
- Suitable for all hair types
- 100% free from SLS, parabens, and chemicals
- No corrosive properties
- Causes no irritation to skin and eyes
Price: Rs. 235 for 210 ml.
6. Prakriti Herbals Rejuvenating Amla Hibiscus Shikakai Shampoo
If you are looking for an affordable natural solution for your grays, the Prakriti Herbals Rejuvenating Amla Hibiscus Shikakai Shampoo is the right choice. It takes complete care of your hair by making it healthy, manageable, and shiny while reversing graying efficiently.
- A unique blend of potent hair-pampering ingredients like amla, hibiscus, and shikakai
- Cleanses scalp and hair gently
- Rejuvenates hair follicles
- Increases the strength of hair fibers
- Prevents oily scalp and dandruff
- Leaves the hair soft and shiny
- Protects hair from untimely graying
- Improves the color of existing gray hair
- Best suited for normal to oily hair
- Free from harmful chemicals
- Safe for color- and chemically-treated hair
Price: Rs. 299 for 200 ml.
7. Forest Essentials Japapatti and Brahmi Hair Cleanser
This Japapatti and Brahmi Hair Cleanser by Forest Essentials is an authentic ayurvedic formulation, which works as the ultimate remedy for dry, damaged, and chemically-treated hair. It helps in invigorating the scalp, nourishing hair fibers deeply, and averting untimely graying.
- A luxurious ayurvedic composition
- Formulated with the extracts of reetha, brahmi, and hibiscus (japapatti)
- Gently cleanses without causing dryness
- Maintains the oil balance in the scalp
- Nourishes and rejuvenates it to prevent hair loss
- Strengthens hair roots for growth of lush tresses
- Rejuvenates dry, damaged, and chemically-treated hair
- Prevents hair loss
- Averts premature graying
- Stimulates the growth of hair
- Adds a silky touch to hair
- Free from SLS/SLES (sulfates), parabens, and petrochemicals
Price: Rs. 1,225 for 200 ml.
Read Also – How to Prevent Hair Color Fading?
8. Vasu Healthcare Shyamla Shampoo
The new improved Shyamla Shampoo by Vasu Healthcare is designed as a complete herbal hair care solution. The gentle cleansing base in it contains ingredients like henna, amla, and lemon, which helps in darkening gray hairs while enhancing its health and appearance.
- A complete herbal hair care solution
- Rich in amla, reetha, shikakai, lemon, and henna
- Works as both shampoo and conditioner
- Has a gentle cleansing base for deep cleansing
- Prevents hair fall
- Reduces split ends
- Promotes healthy and lustrous hair
- puts a stop to premature graying
- Keeps hair soft and shiny
- No dioxane, parabens, and SLS
Price: Rs 150 for 200 ml
9. Patanjali Kesh Kanti Natural Hair Cleanser
The Patanjali Kesh Kanti Natural Hair Cleanser gives your hair a dreamy soft makeover with its strong herbal composition. It cleanses the scalp to leave your tresses healthy, silky and shiny. At the same time, it also stops issues like hair loss and untimely graying.
- Made of 100% natural medicinal herbs
- Packed with amla, bhringraj, henna, reetha, shikakai, neem, aloe vera,
- Soothes and moisturizes the scalp intensely
- Prevents scalp infections
- Keeps dandruff away
- Nourishes hair roots
- Improves the texture of dry, rough hair
- Increases hair fiber cells fast
- Leaves hair softer, thicker, and shinier
Price: Rs. 150 for 450 ml.
10. Mamaearth Happy Heads Hair Shampoo
Being rich in proteins, vitamins, and herbal extracts, the Mamaearth Happy Heads Hair Shampoo can gift you a head full of nourished, healthy, and strong hair. It also stops hair fall, stimulates hair regrowth, and keeps gray hair away.
- Natural and hypoallergenic formula
- Filled with biotin, amla, bhringraj, horse chestnut, lavender, and vitamin E
- Removes dirt and buildups gently
- Promotes a well-moisturized scalp
- Nourishes hair for health and strength
- Leaves hair soft, smooth, and shiny
- Stimulates hair regrowth
- Keeps gray hair away
- Suits all types of hair
- Safe for colored and chemically-treated hair
- Does not contain SLS, parabens, and toxic chemicals
Price: Rs. 349 for 200 ml.
Natural Ways to Prevent Premature Graying
Untimely graying of hair can be frustrating. It may not be easy to reverse the graying completely but you can certainly prevent your hair from turning gray further by following a few simple natural tricks. Here is how you can keep your hair healthy from within and improve its color:
- Massage your scalp and hair regularly with coconut oil or olive oil or almond oil
- Eat a balanced diet rich in copper, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids
- Take vitamin B or multivitamin supplements
- Reduce your stress level by practicing yoga, meditation, etc.
- Quit the habit of smoking right now
- Stay away from chemical-based hair care or styling products
- Protect your hair against the UV rays by using a protectant spray (7)
Gray hair can be frustrating and embarrassing too. While graying is a natural process caused by a number of factors, it can be restricted to some extent by using specific shampoos meant exclusively for graying. However, shampoos are not enough to deal with this issue successfully. You must follow simple diet and lifestyle changes in order to prevent your hair from turning gray before time.
Read Also – 10 Gorgeous Gray Hair Makeovers
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Gray Hair Need Special Shampoo?
A shampoo intended for gray hair can prevent it from getting dull or developing yellow tinges. So, if you want to maintain your grays with grace, choosing a special shampoo for this purpose can be a good choice.
How Do You Keep Gray Hair Shiny?
Using a purple-colored shampoo can eliminate yellow tinges from your gray hair and keep it shiny. But make sure that you do not use it more than once a week and always wash your hair with cool water after shampooing.
Is There Any Permanent Cure for Gray Hair?
Unfortunately, there is no permanent cure for gray hair. You can only try natural tips and remedies to darken your existing gray hair to some extent and prevent your remaining hair from turning gray.
Why is My Gray Hair So Wiry?
Gray hair often becomes wiry due to the same genetic and hormonal changes that cause it to lose its pigmentation. As those changes impact the production of sebaceous hands negatively, the hair fibers become dry and brittle like straws.
- “Pharmacologic Interventions in Aging Hair“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Why Some Women Look Young for Their Age“, Journals.plos.org
- “Epidemiological and Investigative Study of Premature Graying of Hair in Higher Secondary and Pre-University School Children“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Serum Iron, Zinc, and Copper Concentration in Premature Graying of Hair“, EuropePMC.org
- “Smokers’ Hair: Does Smoking Cause Premature Hair Graying?“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Secondhand Smoke (SHS) Facts“, CDC.gov
- “What Ages Hair?“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov