Achieving flawless skin is all about taking great care of it. But it does not necessarily mean visiting the parlor repeatedly and spending lots of money on expensive treatments. Trying simple natural ingredients like Multani mitti can help you get rid of all serious skin woes in a safe and cost-effective way. Whether you want clean and or wish to restore its original tone, just include Multani mitti face packs in your skincare regimen. Today, let us talk about how it can banish your worst skin troubles, especially acne, scars, and pigmentation.
What is Multani Mitti?
Multani Mitti or Fuller’s Earth is basically a mineral-rich, porous, and colloidal clay called calcium bentonite. Though it looks exactly like clay, it has finer grains and much higher water content than regular clay. The mitti can be brown, white, yellow, and even green in color (1). It contains plenty of aluminum-magnesium silicate, which makes it highly absorbent. Due to its strong astringent properties, it works great for oily and acne-prone skin. Multani mitti also deep cleanses the skin by removing whiteheads, blackheads, etc. and decreases the size of large skin pores. It also cools down the skin by relieving acne-related inflammation while treating a number of other skin conditions. You can also get a fresher, tighter, and brighter skin by including Multani mitti in your regular face packs.
Multani mitti (the mud from Multan) is named after Multan – a city in Pakistan. The lime clay was first extracted from this place in the 18th century and got extreme popularity for its amazing cleansing properties. Initially, it was used only for cleansing and replenishing old monuments. However, the scenario changed gradually with the revelation of its cosmetics benefits.
Read Also – Excellent DIY Green Clay Mask for Radiant Skin
Benefits of Multani Mitti for Skin
Multani mitti has some distinct properties, which make it a traditional base ingredient in homemade skin care recipes. In fact, it has now become a common component in several herbal products available on the market. Following are the benefits of offered by the clay for our skin:
- Multani mitti is an excellent natural exfoliant. It gently sloughs away the dead cells from the surface of the skin and reveals the fresh layer of cells underneath in order to make the skin glow (2).
- The clay cleanses the skin deeply and opens up clogged pores, which is helpful in lightening blemishes by reducing issues like blackheads and whiteheads (3).
- Regular application of Multani mitti may remove excess oil, dirt, and grime from the skin, thereby keeping acne and pimples at bay.
- The soothing properties of the ingredient are effective in reducing acne-related inflammation, sunburns, etc.
- Amazing toning effects of the clay can make your skin even and smooth by shrinking the pores in size. It basically improves the overall texture of your skin.
- When massaged onto the skin, it promotes blood circulation and provides nourishment to the skin. Therefore, the skin looks healthy and radiant.
- Multani mitti does not cause discomfort or irritation during the processes of cleansing, exfoliating, or toning. Hence, people with sensitive skin can use it easily.
Being an easily available clay, Multani mitti is truly inexpensive. So, it is considered as a great alternative to store-bought pricey skincare products.
Read Also – Purify Your Skin with Bentonite Clay Face Mask
Best Multani Mitti Face Packs to Try at Home
Multani mitti itself has wonderful benefits for our skin. But when combined with other skin-friendly natural ingredients, it works even better. Here are a few recipes of homemade Multani mitti face packs for different skin concerns, such as acne, scars, and pigmentation:
Multani Mitti Face Packs for Acne
1. Multani Mitti, Orange Peel Powder, and Lemon Juice
Mix 2 teaspoons of Multani mitti with 1 teaspoon of orange peel powder. Add some water and a teaspoon of lemon juice to this mixture in order to make a smooth paste. Apply all over your skin and leave until it tightens around the skin. Wash it off with cold water and pat the skin dry. Multani Mitti dries out excess sebum in the skin while the antibacterial properties in orange peel powder help fight acne-causing bacteria. Try this face mask weekly to get the best results.
2. Multani Mitti and Neem Leaves
Prepare a mixture of 2 teaspoons of Multani mitti and 1 teaspoon of neem leaf powder. Make a paste by adding some water to it. Apply this to your skin uniformly and leave it on to dry. Neem is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal by nature. It not only controls the overproduction of sebum in the skin but also fights breakouts, thereby giving you acne-free skin. Weekly use of this face pack can give you noticeable results. (4)
Multani Mitti Face Packs for Scars
3. Multani Mitti, Sandalwood Powder, and Turmeric
Combine 2 teaspoons of Multani mitti with a pinch of turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon of sandalwood powder. Make a paste using water and lemon juice or milk depending on whether you have oily or dry skin. Apply this paste to your face and allow it to dry. Wash off once it dries up. Turmeric and sandalwood help in lightening the marks of scars (5) (6) while milk helps in lightening the complexion as a whole. Using this face pack once a week will give your skin a healthy glow and also remove all the blemishes from it effectively.
4. Multani Mitti, Carrot, Honey, and Cinnamon
Take 1 tablespoon of Multani mitti, 1 tablespoon grated or pulped carrot, a pinch of cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of honey. Mix them all together to form a homogeneous mixture. Apply all over the face and allow it to dry. Then, wash it off with water and pat dry your skin. Both honey and cinnamon help in lightening scars while the carrot promotes skin rejuvenation. Also, Multani mitti tones up the skin. Hence, using this pack gives you an overall even skin tone.
Read Also – Multani Mitti for Blackheads
Multani Mitti Face Packs for Pigmentation
5. Multani Mitti and Tomato
When used along with Multani mitti, tomatoes help remove blemishes and pigmentation. To make this face mask, grate half a tomato and add 1 tablespoon of Multani mitti to it. Mix them well to form a smooth lump-free paste. Apply it all over the face and let it dry. Then, wash off with tepid water. Regular use of this pack will lighten your pigmentation and give you a flawlessly even-toned skin.
6. Multani Mitti and Potato Juice
Just like tomatoes, potatoes are also great for blemishes. Grate a whole potato and extract its juice. Do not throw away the gratings. First, wet your face and scrub it with the potato gratings. Next, mix the potato juice with 1 tablespoon of Multani mitti and make a fine paste. Apply this paste all over your face and let it dry. You can also use some potato gratings on your eyes to remove dark circles. Wash it off and wipe dry. Continuous use of this pack will help you get rid of blemishes in a few weeks.
Tips to Use Multani Mitti Face Packs
Preparing and applying Multani mitti face packs is easy. But knowing a few simple tips is important to make the most of your efforts. check them out below:
- Adding other ingredients to Multani mitti helps in balancing its drying effect. So, do not use it alone.
- Always take a plastic mixing bowl for preparing Multani mitti face packs.
- Whip all ingredients nicely into a smooth, uniform paste that carries no lumps or bubbles.
- The consistency of the packs should be medium. Make sure that they are neither too tight nor too runny.
- Before trying any Multani mitti face pack, do a patch test to know whether you are allergic to it or not.
- Wash the plastic bowl right after applying the pack. Otherwise, the mitti will harden and stick to the bowl.
Adverse Effects of Multani Mitti
Generally, there is no serious side effect associated with topical applications of Multani mitti. However, if you have sensitive skin, you should be very careful while using the ingredient in your face packs. It may cause mild to moderate skin irritation at times, which is often experienced during patch tests.
Multani mitti is the clay obtained from the city of Multan in Pakistan. It is a highly absorbent clay with great cleansing and exfoliating properties, which make it a reliable ingredient in traditional skincare practices. Multani mitti face packs are used for treating a number of skin troubles including acne, scars, and pigmentation. All you need to do is follow a few simple homemade Multani mitti recipes and some essential tips to get a toned, bright, and flawless skin.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can We Use Multani Mitti Face Pack Daily?
Yes, of course. Being a natural clay, Multani mitti can be used on the skin daily in the form of a face pack.
Does Multani Mitti Make Skin Fair?
Multani mitti eliminates dead skin cells and stimulates the flow of blood throughout the skin, which cumulatively give the skin a fresh, healthy, and glowing look. As a result, your overall complexion becomes brighter and fairer.
Does Multani Mitti Expire?
Multani mitti does not have any specific shelf life. Hence, you can use it even 1-2 years after purchasing without any worry.
Can We Mix Aloe Vera Gel with Multani Mitti?
When it comes to hydrating and moisturizing dry and parched skin, a mixture of Multani mitti and aloe vera gel works like wonder.
Can Multani Mitti Remove Dark Circles?
Yes, Multani mitti can be used to remove dark circles from the undereye area. Just mix it with freshly extracted cucumber juice and apply it to the affected part of the skin for 10-15 minutes every day.
- “Fuller’s Earth – Medical Countermeasures Database“, chemm.nlm.nih.gov
- “In-House Preparation and Standardization of Herbal Face Pack“, pdfs.semanticscholar.org
- “Formulation and Evaluation of Cosmetic Herbal Face Pack for Glowing Skin“, ijrap.net
- “Neem (Azadirachta indica): Prehistory to Contemporary Medicinal Uses to Humankind“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Effects of Turmeric (Curcuma longa) on Skin Health: A Systematic Review of the Clinical Evidence“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Sandalwood Album Oil as a Botanical Therapeutic in Dermatology“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov