Bhringraj, also known as ‘Karisalankanni’ or ‘Kehraj’, is a medicinal herb, which has been used as a powerful hair care ingredient in ancient Indian Ayurveda. The plant mostly works as a natural ‘rasayana’ for slowing down the aging process of hair as well as making it rejuvenated and healthy. Though bhringraj oil, combining the goodness of a number of other beneficial herbs, is easily available in the market, it can also be prepared at home for growing long and strong hair naturally Let us see the benefits of the oil in detail, its DIY recipe, and the use bhringraj oil for hair growth.
About Bhringraj Oil
Bhringraj has been used for ages to improve the growth and color of the hair. The oil extracted from the leaves of the plant has a greenish color and a strong fragrance. Typically, it is prepared by blending the extract of the bhringraj plant with another beneficial oil, such as coconut oil or sesame oil. Regular massage with bhringraj oil improves blood circulation in the scalp, which helps revitalize the hair follicles, thereby promoting the growth of the hair. When used correctly, it also helps in reducing hair fall, accelerating hair growth, and enhancing sleep.
Also Read – Best Hair Growth Oils Available In India – Top 7 Picks Here
Benefits Of Bhringraj Oil For Hair
1. Prevents Greying
Regular application of bhringraj oil to the scalp and the hair prevents premature greying. The oil also helps reverse the aging of the hair by restoring as well as maintaining its natural color.
2. Nourishes Hair
Bhringraj oil is a blend of multiple natural ingredients that are beneficial for hair. These include bhringraj, amla, shikakai, and coconut or sesame oil. All these nourish hair to make it thick and lustrous.
Also Read – Best Ayurvedic Oils To Prevent Hair Loss In India Here
3. Eradicates Dandruff
Being a dense oil with high specific gravity, it penetrates the scalp fast and effortlessly. Deeper absorption of the oil helps in treating dry scalp, thereby averting dandruff, itchiness, scalp infections, etc.
4. Soothes Headaches
Bhringraj oil has great cooling and soothing properties, which calm down our nervous system and give us relief from issues, such as headaches, migraine, etc. All you need to do is massage the scalp with it regularly.
5. Stimulates Hair Growth
The oil increases vasodilation, which improves the circulation of blood throughout the scalp and provides more blood to the hair roots. As a result, the hair follicles are activated and hair starts growing significantly.
6. Adds Strength And Shine
Regular use of bhringraj oil makes our hair stronger and shinier. Being a concoction of multiple hair-friendly herbs and oils, it improves the overall health and quality of the locks and adds strength and shine to them.
Also Read – Herbal Oils To Prevent Hair Loss Here
7. Reduces Hair Fall
While the cooling properties of the oil help in reducing stress-related hair fall, it also helps foster hair follicles by fulfilling the deficiency of minerals and decreases excessive hair fall caused by poor scalp or hair health.
8. No Side Effects
It is a natural oil with no dangerous side effects. However, if you are using it in the winter and if you have a tendency to catch a cold easily, you should not leave it overnight. Since the oil is cooling by nature, keeping it overnight can induce a cold.
DIY – Homemade Bhringraj Oil Recipe
Bhringraj Oil can be found in its pure form as well as blended with other hair-friendly herbs. It is sold by a number of popular herbal skin and hair care brands, such as Khadi, Aloe Veda, Biotique, and Neev. You could pick one of them or better still, make the oil at home. Make, did we say? Yes! It is super easy and highly effective too. Here is the DIY recipe for you:
- Bhringraj leaves – a handful, or bhringraj powder – 3 teaspoons
- Pure coconut oil (or, sesame oil) – 1 cup (200 ml.)
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 teaspoon
Steps To Prepare:
Clean and wash a handful of bhringraj leaves, and roughly chop them up. Now, heat up the coconut oil or sesame oil in a pan. After 2-3 minutes, add chopped bhringraj leaves or pure bhringraj powder to it and boil the mixture for about 5 minutes. Also, throw the fenugreek seeds into the pan and boil the whole thing for 5 more minutes. Then, turn off the heat and allow the concoction to cool down. Finally, strain the mixture, discard the residue, and use the greenish oil to get lovely and healthy hair.
Also Read – DIY- How To Make Henna Hair Oil For Hair Growth Here
A Few Tips…
- Sun-dried bhringraj leaves can also be used for preparing the oil at home. You can simply keep a handful of fresh bhringraj leaves under the sun for 2-3 days and use them as they are in your oil or make a fine powder of it by grinding smoothly.
- If you want to avoid the application of heat during the process of preparation, just immerse the sun-dried bhringraj leaves in a jar of coconut oil or sesame oil and leave it under the sun for another 2-3 days until the infusion develops a light green hue.
How To Use Bhringraj Oil For Hair Growth?
1. The key to growing long, strong, and healthy hair is improved blood flow o the hair roots, which needs a thorough scalp massage. So, take about 4-5 teaspoons of bhringraj oil (adjust the quantity according to your hair length), warm it up for half a minute, and apply the lukewarm oil all over your scalp followed by the length of the hair. Massage the scalp with your fingertips in a small circular motion. It is the best to get someone to do it for you while you relax completely.
2. Next, take your hair in small sections and tug at the roots gently to stimulate the follicles. Massage the scalp this way for around 10 minutes and leave at least for an hour.
Also Read – 10 Excellent Benefits Of Sesame Oil For Your Hair Here
3. It is always good to keep the oil overnight for the maximum absorption. Use a towel on your pillow to prevent it from staining.
4. For the best results, wash the oil off with a natural hair wash or a mild herbal shampoo.
5. Repeat the process at least twice a week. Many women have seen dramatic changes in their hair within a month of usage.
So, go ahead and start using bhringraj oil for great hair health.
Image Credit: Featured, 1, 2, 3