Acne is one of the most common skin conditions around the world that is widespread and persistent. Though it mostly affects the facial skin, other parts of the body (like shoulders, arms, back. etc.) can also develop acne in varying degrees. There are quite a few reasons behind the clogging of skin pores or blocking of hair follicles on our skin, but whatever they are, a natural treatment is always better than tons of commercial acne curing products and medications available in the market. Oregano oil is one of such natural, safe, and effective acne cures that can give us guaranteed results. Let’s know more about it:
What Is Oregano Oil?
Oregano oil, also popularly known as oregano, is a golden to dark yellow-colored oil extracted from the dried leaves and flowers of the bushy herb oregano. It is mostly obtained from the wild oregano or Origanum Vulgare, which is considered more powerful than other varieties found in home gardens. It is a potent natural healer with a strong spicy odor. The oil of oregano contains loads of phytonutrients, vitamins, antioxidants (mainly flavonoids), etc., which help us by providing nourishment, preventing cellular degeneration, and improving overall health. It also holds great anti-microbial properties, which make it a perfect all-natural treatment for several diseases including acne.
Also Read – 9 Anti-Aging Benefits of Oregano Oil Here
How Does Oregano Oil Work For Acne?
Oregano oil is known to be nature’s answer to acne. Though it may not be equally effective for all people, most of them can get positive results by following a routine. It is good to know how exactly oregano oil can help to clear up acne and its scars. Here we go:
- Oregano oil has great anti-bacterial properties, which help in reducing the growth of acne-causing bacteria Propionibacterium acnes that are living on our skin, thereby preventing severe acne breakouts.
- The oil is rich in volatile antimicrobials named thymol and carvacrol, which make it a highly potent antiseptic. Hence, it can avert infections from acne and speed up the healing of acne lesions considerably.
- Oregano oil is also regarded as a good natural anti-inflammatory agent. As inflammation, redness, and swelling are indispensable parts of acne, this oil can bring all those symptoms down to a great extent.
- The oil is also loaded with antioxidants, which strengthen our immune system and keep bacterial infections at bay, thereby keeping our skin healthy and breakout-free.
Also Read – Uncover the Health Benefits of Oregano Oil Here
How To Use Oregano Oil For Acne?
Now when you are aware of how oregano oil works on the acne-causing bacteria to give us blemish and breakout-free clear skin, it is time to know how to put the oil to proper use. According to experts, the oil can be used both externally and internally as a treatment for acne. We are going to tell you about both of the ways:
- External Use Of Oregano Oil
Topical use of oregano oil is the most common way of treating acne. For this, you need pure oregano oil and a glass of distilled water. Pour a few drops (2 to 3 drops are enough) of the oil into the water to dilute it. Meanwhile, cleanse your skin with a mild herbal cleanser and pat it dry. Then, dip a cotton ball into the diluted oregano oil and apply it all over your face (or to the affected parts of the face only). Make sure that you skip the areas around your eyes and lips. Allow the oil to sit for the next 10-15 minutes. Once it dries up completely, wash off your face with plain cold water. Practice it twice every day (in the morning and at night) for 3-4 weeks consistently.
Also Read – How Castor Oil Should Be Used For Acne? Here
- Internal Use Of Oregano Oil
If you want to prevent the formation of acne and breakouts from inside, go for the internal use of oregano oil. There are several ways to consume oregano oil for acne. Choose as per your preference:
- Add 3-4 drops of pure oregano oil to a glass of drinking water or any fruit juice and consume it regularly.
- Mix 3-4 drops of the oil with a tablespoon of pure honey and consume it thrice every day.
- Pour 3-4 drops of the oil into an empty gel capsule and swallow it immediately with water.
Side Effects Of Using Oregano Oil
The best thing about oregano oil treatment for acne is that it does not have any adverse side effects. If you use 100% pure and organic oregano oil, there is absolutely no need to worry. Being free of chemical substances, it is safe to use and you can easily avoid the negative effects of commercial antibiotics by using this.
However, if you ever feel a slight tingling sensation or redness upon application of oregano oil, reduce its strength or consult a dermatologist. You can also conduct a patch test before using oregano oil on your skin as a treatment for acne.
Image Credit – Featured, 1, 2, 3