Who does not want long and lustrous locks that glisten with light? It’s a dream of every woman, indeed! No matter what your hair type and texture are, you can definitely add a beautiful natural sheen to it as long as it is healthy and not severely damaged. To attain healthy-looking hair, you must take proper care of it. No, we are not recommending tons of pricey commercial hair care products that, in reality, may or may not work for your hair. Rather, utilize a few natural handy kitchen ingredients and follow some simple tips and tricks. These will not only work wonders for the health of your tresses but also restore their natural shine almost immediately. So, what are those sure-fire tricks to get shiny hair overnight? Let us unlock the secrets here.
Why Does The Hair Lose Its Natural Shine?
Nowadays, multiple factors take a toll on the health of our hair. Some of the most common reasons behind this are excessive environmental pollution, overexposure to the sun, increasing stress level, poor lifestyle, bad food habits, sleep deprivation, lack of moisture and nourishment, and so on (1). If the hair is not healthy enough, the cuticles rise instead of lying flat against the shafts. When the light hits these hair strands, it does not get a smooth surface to bounce right off. As a result, the hair looks dull and lifeless.
10 Sure-fire Tricks To Get Shiny Hair Instantly
Now, here are the tried and tested tricks that will help you get your shiny and lustrous hair back almost instantly:
1. Coconut Oil Mask
- Heat some coconut oil in a bowl.
- Soak your dry hair with this warm coconut oil before going to bed and massage thoroughly.
- Let the coconut oil coat every single strand from the root to the tip.
- Comb through your hair so that the oil gets distributed evenly and braid it loosely.
- In the morning, with a mild shampoo, wash your hair twice with lukewarm water to remove the trace of oil and reveal smooth, shiny locks.
2. Olive Oil Mask
- Heat a little olive oil till it is warm.
- Apply the warm oil on your dry hair focusing on the ends and avoiding the scalp.
- Braid your hair loosely and wrap it with a cotton cloth or simply a thin towel.
- The next morning, wash it off thoroughly with a mild shampoo.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dilute a little apple cider vinegar with a cup of water and set it aside.
- While washing your hair, finish the shampoo and conditioner process.
- After you finish conditioning, rinse your hair with the diluted apple cider vinegar.
- Squeeze out excess water from your hair and wrap the towel.
4. Fenugreek Seeds
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water and leave them overnight.
- In the morning, blend the fenugreek seeds by adding a little water to form a smooth and consistent paste.
- Apply this paste onto your scalp and hair and leave for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
- Apply conditioner and rinse with cold water.
5. Aloe Vera And Yogurt Mask
Aloe vera is not only good for your skin but also great for your hair. It is packed with proteolytic enzymes that help in repairing the damaged cells in your scalp (6). It also improves the health of the follicles and boosts hair growth. It induces the moisture from Aloe Vera to condition your hair for minimum frizz.
- Extract the gel from the freshly cut Aloe Vera and blend it into a smooth paste.
- Apply it all over your hair followed by a gentle massage. (You can also blend it with some plain yogurt and use it as a nourishing hair mask.)
- Put on a shower cap and let the mask sit on your scalp for the whole night.
- Wash off with lukewarm water in the morning along with a mild shampoo rinse.
Tip: You can also use this as a quick hair mask and apply it 15 minutes before your hair wash.
6. Avocado And Egg Yolk Mask
- Mix equal parts of smoothly mashed ripe avocado with an egg yolk.
- Apply it to your hair thoroughly.
- Turn your masked hair into a knot and wear a shower cap.
- In the morning, wash off with a mild shampoo.
- You can also apply all these hair masks 15-20 minutes before washing your hair.
7. Beer Rinse
Beer is full of proteins and vitamin B, which help in making the hair follicles stronger. It also aids in keeping the cuticles on the scalp closed, thereby retaining the maximum shine of the locks (8).
- After your usual shampooing session, rinse your hair with a beer directly.
- Leave it for a couple of minutes and then rinse it.
- Apply conditioner to your hair and rinse thoroughly.
8. Sulfate-Free Shampoo
Always use a sulfate-free shampoo for washing your hair. Regular shampoos are loaded with sulfates, which remove natural oils from the locks and dry them out to a large extent. Switching to the sulfate-free version of shampoos will help you restore the natural shine of your hair fast.
The heat from the hair styling tools could also impact in making your hair dull and prone to breaking.
9. Deep Conditioning Treatment
Choose a good deep conditioning treatment available in the market to achieve glossy hair overnight. It will hydrate your highly damaged or chemically-processed hair intensely and provide it with ultra-nourishment. Consequently, the natural shine of your locks will get a significant boost.
10. Satin Pillow Case
Ditch your regular cotton pillowcases and switch to the satin ones. It will make your locks smoother and shinier by preventing static, while the first one can dry them out considerably.
Does Exercise Help In Getting Shiny Hair?
Yoga can immensely help you improve the overall health and beauty of your hair. There are specific asanas in yoga that can increase the circulation of blood in the scalp, which is essential for healthy-looking locks. Yoga also helps in relaxing the body by relieving stress, which also helps in making the hair shiny and gorgeous.
Pro Tips To Maintain The Shine Of Hair
Balanced Diet: Maintaining a healthy diet reflects on your skin as well as your hair. Include food items that contain a healthy dosage of proteins, nutrients, vitamins, and fats. Also, hydrate yourself to maintain your body’s water level.
Right Selection Of Products: It is necessary to pick shampoos, hair oils, and conditioners that are not loaded with chemicals of any form. Look for products that are sulfate-free, paraben-free, and do not contain any other toxins or silicones.
Apply Hair Masks: Regular oil massaging or application of hair masks will make sure that the health and shine of your hair are well-maintained.
Embrace Conditioner: Damaged hair does not look shiny until you take proper care of it to improve its condition. However, you can still add a temporary shine to it by applying a leave-in conditioner when it is damp.
Cold Rinse: To increase the shine of your straight hair, blast it with a cold-water rinse for 3 seconds right after washing and conditioning it in the shower.
Also Read – Guide To Dye Your Hair Naturally With Coffee
Girls with Curls: Curly hair will look really shiny if you apply a little conditioner to it while rinsing in the shower. You can also apply a gel to your damp hair to increase its shine.
Hair Styling Tools: Hairstyling tools from curling irons to straighteners, can damage your hair if used regularly. But if you have to, opt for some no-heat styles or always use heat protection serums.
Never Over Wash: Over washing your hair can rip off the natural keratin of your hair thereby making it dull and lifeless. Wash your hair only 2 or 3 times a week.
Summary: The length or type of your hair does not matter; what matters is the good health and strength of your hair. Having and maintaining lustrous and shiny hair might seem like a task, but if done right, it is as easy as it can be. Using the right kind of nurturing products and applying the right ingredients to your hair, can give you shiny hair overnight. There are various ways to get shiny and glossy hair instantly. While the market is flooded with commercial treatments, simple home remedies like Coconut Oil Mask, Olive Oil Mask, Aloe Vera And Yogurt Mask, Avocado And Egg Yolk Mask, application of Beer and Sulphate free shampoo and Deep conditioning treatments can drastically improve health of your tresses.
Read Also – Your Grocery List For Super Shiny Hair
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What causes dry and non-glossy hair?
Numerous reasons can cause dull and non-shiny hair. Lack of moisture, wrong selection of products, overuse of heat styling tools, or not including enough nutrients in your diet might be some of the reasons.
What is the best way to dry your hair?
The best way to retain shine while drying your hair is to either use a Microfiber towel or a t-shirt. The other best way is to air-dry your hair naturally.
- “How to Stop Hair Breakage” – healthline.com
- “10 Ways Coconut Oil Can Benefit Your Hair” -marieclaire.com
- “Hair Cosmetics: An Overview” – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Can Apple Cider Vinegar Benefit Your Hair?” -healthline.com
- “Fenugreek+micronutrients: Efficacy of a food supplement against hair loss” – researchgate.net
- “Assessment of Proteolytic activity in Aloe vera leaves” – academia.edu
- “Can avocado oil strengthen my hair?” – medicalnewstoday.com
- “Is beer really good for your hair?” – health.howstuffworks.com
- “6 Ways to Get Shiny Hair” – marieclaire.com