Who says that using henna on hair is all about covering greys and giving your hair a youthful makeover? Well, the magical herb not only gives our hair a beautiful reddish brown tint but also makes it frizz-free, lively and manageable. Though there are a lot of hair care products meant for repairing dry and damaged hair, henna is a much safer as well as cheaper alternative to all of those. This article will give you a kick-ass recipe to use henna for damaged and frizzy hair. KNow how to turn your unmanageable hair into smooth, sleek and glossy locks easily.
Also Read – Our Top 5 Mehndi Henna Kits Here
What Can Henna Do For Fixing Damaged Hair?
Now, the question is why should you use henna for your rough, damaged and unruly hair? What can it actually do for the benefits of your hair? The following list will give you the best possible answer:
- Henna makes the hair strands stronger from the roots. It gets soaked into the hair follicles very easily and provides nourishment to the hair roots, thereby reducing the chances of breakage and making the hair more manageable.
- It plays a key role in repairing the damaged hair cuticles (the hard surface layer that works as the protective cover for every single hair strand), which keeps the internal hair cells saved from harm. Hence, all hair shafts get healed efficiently.
- Being a natural hair conditioner, henna can induce lots of moisture in your locks and condition them to a great extent. As a result, your dry and frizzy hair becomes well-moisturized and extremely soft.
- It can help us maintain the pH balance of both the scalp and the hair, which is essential for keeping the scalp hydrated, reducing dandruff and averting the formation of split ends.
In short, henna can take great care of our dry and unhealthy hair and reverse the damages caused to by pollution, chemical treatments, heat treatments, or dehydration.
Also Read – Top 5 DIY Henna Treatments For Healthy Natural Hair Here
How To Use Henna For Fixing Damaged Hair?
Being a natural ingredient, henna can be used on the hair just by mixing with some plain water. However, this basic application of henna is more effective in adding a beautiful dark brown color to the locks as well as covering all those unwanted greys. When it comes to fixing super dry hair that is also damaged and frizzy, the henna powder needs to be combined with a few other natural hair-friendly ingredients. So, here is how to use henna to for healthy, lustrous hair. Check out the recipe below:
- Henna powder – 5 tablespoons or depending upon the length of your hair (try to use herbal or organic henna for the best results)
- Plain yogurt – 3 tablespoons
- Lemon – 1 large
- Egg – 1 whole
- Black tea – 1 cup
- Lukewarm water – as required
Also Read – How To Get A Darker Colour With Henna? Here
Benefits To Expect:
While the reasons for using henna are already stated above, here are all other benefits offered by those additional ingredients:
- Yogurt – Yogurt is rich in proteins, vitamins, and other vital nutrients that nourish our hair from within and condition it deeply, thereby repairing damages and eliminating frizzes.
- Black Tea – Being loaded with polyphenols and vitamins, black tea can reverse hair damages and also protect it from further damages. It makes dry and frizzy hair softer, smoother, and shinier.
- Egg – The protein-packed yolk of an egg offers deep moisturization to our locks while the white part keeps the scalp clean and healthy. As a result, the damaged hair gets its life back easily.
- Lemon – Freshly squeezed lemon juice is a great conditioner for our hair. So, including it in the mixture will help you enhance the damage-repairing qualities of henna.
- Lukewarm Water – Using lukewarm water helps henna release its color beautifully in the mixture.
Also Read – Here Is The Secret To Gorgeous Dark Brown Hair: DIY Henna And Coffee Hair Dye Here
Preparation and Application:
- It is recommended that you prepare the henna mix in an iron bowl as it helps the herb release the maximum color. Otherwise, a glass or a plastic bowl will be alright. Pour the henna powder into it. Add yogurt and black tea to the powder and keep beating everything together until a thick paste is formed.
- Squeeze out the juice of the lemon into it and mix well. Then, let the entire concoction sit for 3 to 4 hours.
- Now, beat the egg nicely in a separate bowl. Add it to the previous mixture. Stir with a spoon so that it turns a bit slippery.
- Pour lukewarm water into the mixture and try to come up with a consistency that will make it drip off the spoon.
- Now, put plastic gloves on both of your hands and start applying the henna mix to your hair. You can also make use of a dye brush for this purpose.
- Divide your hair into small sections and apply the paste thoroughly. Reach the tips of the hair gradually starting from the roots and make sure that every single hair strand is coated properly.
- Secure your hair into a bun on the top of your head and cover your entire head with a shower or plastic cap.
- After 3 to 4 hours, wash off with lukewarm water to find softer, smoother, and shinier hair.
Also Read – DIY- How To Make Henna Hair Oil For Hair Growth Here
Tips To Make The Most Of Your Henna
And now, here are some more tips to get the most out of your henna paste for softening and smoothening that damaged and unruly hair:
- You can add 1 teaspoon of nutmeg powder to your henna mixture. The exotic spice can increase the flow of blood to your scalp and stimulate your hair follicles, which help in restoring the health and shine of damaged hair. However, always do a patch test before using nutmeg externally as it, being a ‘hot’ spice, can cause burning sensation.
- Using 7-8 drops of lavender essential oil in your henna mixture will improve the health of your scalp, thereby treating a number of hair issues including dandruff, hair loss, etc. This will also condition your damaged and frizzy hair strands and promote their healthy growth.
- Adding your favorite herbal hair oil to your henna mixture will enhance its conditioning properties to a large extent, thereby giving your unruly hair a health boost.