We put our hair through a lot all-round the day, which causes several annoying issues including split ends. It is a very common hair problem that not only turns hair unhealthy but also increases hair fall. Unfortunately, preventing split ends is really hard, especially for those who do not have enough time to follow a strict haircare routine. If you fail to take proper care of your hair, it will get damaged easily and you will be left with split hair cuticles. In this post, we will take you through some of the best haircare products for split ends that are available in the Indian market. Keep reading.
What is Split Ends?
Split ends or trichoptilosis refers to the splitting or fraying of the damaged ends of hair strands into two or more fragments. Being the oldest parts of hair shafts, the ends become weaker over time and turn vulnerable to damage from daily wear and tear. If they start losing their protective layer due to continuous damage, the shafts get split and the inner cortex gets exposed. (1) Though this type of damage is most commonly seen at the end of hair shafts, it can occur anywhere along the length of your strands.
What Causes Split Ends?
Some of the most common causes of split ends include:
- Excessive use of heated hair styling tools (blow dryers, straighteners, hot curlers, etc.)
- Changing hair color too often
- Excessive sun, wind, or cold exposure
- Brushing hair too much and/or while it is still wet
- Excessive use of hair gels and sprays
- Trimming hair with poor quality scissors
- Use of wrong and/or bad quality haircare products
- Using damaging hair accessories or trying damaging hairstyles
- Drying hair with a towel aggressively
- Shampooing the hair too frequently
- Following a poor diet
- Not drinking enough water
- An overload of stress
While split ends can happen to any type of hair, Afro-textured hair has been found to be more prone to it. The location of its oval-shaped hair shafts, the natural retro curvature of hair follicles, slower hair growth, and less hair density are some of the biggest factors that turn Afro-texture hair fragile. (2)
How to Repair Split Ends?
Regardless of the cause of your split ends, once they appear, they do not disappear. The only method to get rid of split ends is to trim them off. It is recommended to get a trim every 3-4 months, as the hair naturally begins to fray at this time, due to accumulated damage. While waiting for your next trim, you can effectively control the appearance of split ends by avoiding some of the causes listed above or using specially formulated hair care products that have been designed to effectively tackle this problem.
Top 10 Haircare Products for Split Ends
So, here is a quick overview of the top 10 hair care products for split ends available in India that can give you luscious, damage-free hair:
1. Matrix Opti.Care Smooth Straight Professional Split End Serum
Matrix is one of the most popular names in the haircare industry and its Opti.Care range has already come up with some amazing products. This magic serum is a lightweight, non-greasy formula that takes great care of chemically processed locks by repairing damage from inside and make their ends healthy by driving frayed tips away.
- A light and non-greasy formula
- Does not weigh hair down
- Reduces frizz and flyaways instantly
- Leaves hair silky smooth with a hi-gloss reflective shine
- Seals frayed tips and prevents further split ends
- Repairs damage in the inner layers of the hair shafts
- Controls and smoothen chemically straightened hair
Price: Rs. 445 for 100 ml.
2. Dove Nutritive Solutions Split End Rescue Shampoo
Dove has also come up with its super-beneficial Nutritive Solutions range, which has been exclusively designed for people with damaged hair. This Split End Rescue Shampoo is enriched with fiberactives that penetrates hair shafts up to their deepest layers, repairs them efficiently, and reduces split ends almost 4-fold by bringing them together.
- A gentle formulation with fibreactives
- Ideal for damaged hair prone to split ends
- Cleanses hair gently by working on the deepest level of hair
- Reconstructs damaged hair by nourishing it from deep within
- Gives up to 4 times visibly fewer split ends
- Reverses the effects of chemicals and pollution
- Leaves hair strong, smooth, and shiny like never before
- Suitable for everyday use
Price: Rs. 124 for 180 ml.
3. L’Oreal Paris Total Repair 5 Advanced Repairing Conditioner
This Advanced Repairing Conditioner from the Total Repair range by L’Oreal Paris provides a single solution for 5 visible signs of damaged hair including split ends. Its unique Ceramide-Cement technology ensures cohesion and strength in hair, thus keeping it strong and resilient without weighing it down.
- An exclusive formulation containing 70% repairing cream
- Infused with Ceramide-Cement technology, Centella asiatica, and protein
- Protects hair against brushing, humidity, blow-drying, and heat
- Combats 5 visible signs of damaged hair i.e. hair fall, dryness, roughness, dullness, and split ends
- Penetrates up to 10 layers of hair while filling external cracks
- Works as a conditioner to reinforce damaged hair structure
- Leaves hair stronger, nourished, shinier, and smoother
Price: Rs. 185 for 192.5 ml.
4. Schwarzkopf Professional BC Bonacure Peptide Repair Rescue Sealed Ends
Used by leading salons, the Schwarzkopf Professional BC Bonacure Peptide Repair Rescue Sealed Ends is a light, nourishing balm that restores the optimal health of each hair strand fully. It prevents split ends, fixes hair breakage, and gives a perfect finish to the hair upon regular use.
- A light and intensive cream serum with skincare inspired ingredients
- Enriched with advanced Peptide Repair Rescue technology, panthenol, and light silicone oil
- Reverses 3 years of damage in just one application
- Nourishes and replenishes the inner structure of the hair
- Repairs and restructures damaged hair to prevent breakage
- Seals and prevents porous and split hair ends
- Tames frizz and helps control unruly hair
- Leaves the ends feeling smooth, soft, and healthy
- Adds a beautiful shine to hair
- Suitable for hair ends that are dry, rough, dull and prone to splitting
Price: Rs. 400 for 75 ml.
5. The Moms Co. Natural Damage Repair Hair Mask
The Moms Co. Natural Damage Repair Mask is a 100% natural and toxin-free hair mask that offers deep conditioning for dry and damaged hair. It nourishes hair fibers, protects it from further damage, and brings split ends together to make the hair look healthier, longer, and stronger over time.
- Formulated with Moroccan argan oil, shea butter, aloe vera, murumuru seed oil, hydrolyzed wheat protein, and keratin
- Repairs and strengthens dry and damaged hair
- Revives dull hair by hydrating, nourishing, and conditioning it
- Reduces breakage and split ends by forming a protective layer around the hair structure
- Improves the texture, manageability, and shine of hair
- Gives dandruff-free, long, and voluminous locks
- 100% natural and Australian allergy certified
- Does not contain sulfates, parabens, mineral oils, Phenoxyethanol, PEGs, synthetic fragrances, and toxins
- Suitable for all types of hair
- Ideal for dry, frizzy, and damaged hair
Price: Rs. 699 for 175 ml.
6. L’Occitane En Provence Aromachologie Intense Repair Infused Oil
If you are ready to invest in a premium product for treating your split ends, this L’Occitane En Provence Aromachologie Intense Repair Infused Oil is a sure bet for you. The multi-use formula not only reduces the appearance of damage, frizz, and split ends, but also makes the hair very strong and beautiful.
- A luxurious and versatile formulation for the optimal health of hair
- Infused with sunflower petals and 5 essential oils (angelica, ylang ylang, sweet orange, lavender, and geranium)
- Nourishes hair from within and makes it almost double strong
- Protects, repairs, and regenerates hair
- Prevents breakage due to brushing
- Reduces frizz and the appearance of split ends 3 times lesser
- Makes hair soft and supple
- Reveals the natural beauty and shine of hair
- Does not contain silicone
- Perfect for severely damaged hair
Price: Rs. 2,500 for 100 ml.
7. Palmer’s Coconut Oil Conditioning Shampoo
The Palmer’s Coconut Oil Conditioning Shampoo comprises ethically and sustainably sourced raw, natural ingredients. The rich, creamy product keeps the scalp free from buildups while hydrating and nourishing hair fibers deeply and protecting them from damage, split ends, breakage, etc.
- An advanced formulation featuring ethically and sustainably sourced ingredients
- Contains raw coconut oil, Tahitian monoi oil, keratin protein, vitamin E, and Tiaré flower petals
- Cleanses the scalp gently without interfering with its natural moisture balance
- Moisturizes, hydrates, and pampers hair deeply
- Replenishes hair with essential nutrients
- Strengthens hair fibers and repairs damage
- Protects hair by creating a moisture seal around each follicle
- Allows hair to grow with less splitting or breakage
- Adds an incredible shine to the hair
- Free of sulfates, parabens, phthalates, mineral oil, gluten, and dyes
- Best suited for dry, damaged, or color-treated hair
Price: Rs. 495 for 400 ml.
8. WOW Skin Science 10-in-1 Miracle Hair Revitalizer
When it comes to nourishing hair back to life and keeping it free from all sorts of issues including split ends, this WOW Skin Science 10-in-1 Miracle Hair Revitalizer is what you need in your life. The high-end hair revitalizer is also known to make hair stronger, healthier, and glossier.
- High-end hair revitalizer powered with premium-quality Ecocert Certified bioactives
- A non-greasy and non-sticky formulation
- One single product offering 10 excellent hair benefits, such as frizz taming, stronger roots, less split ends, improved lipid barrier, better texture, dandruff control, less breakage, hair fall control, lighter luster, and intense hydration
- Enriched with vitamins (A, B5, B7, E, and F) and 6 premium botanical extracts (safflower, horse chestnut, tea tree, lemon, and rosemary)
- Smoothens hair by delivering essential fatty acids to it
- Minimizes balding and promotes hair growth
- Supreme vitality, strength, and shine for your hair
- Features 100% natural botanical actives
- Contains zero mineral oil, paraben, alcohol, sulfate, PEG, polysorbate, and synthetic fragrance
- Intended for intensive haircare suitable for all scalp and hair types
Price: Rs. 599 for 200 ml.
Read Also – Best Shampoos for Dry and Damaged Hair in India
9. phos4us Hair Repair Masque
phos4us Hair Repair Masque is a natural hair spa cream that consists of a unique blend of natural herbs and other active ingredients. It improves scalp health, prevents hair loss, reduces the appearance of split ends, repairs damaged hair, and delays premature graying effectively and efficiently.
- An intensive nourishing treatment for scalp and hair follicles
- Contains the extracts of shea butter, reetha, amla, shikakai, allantoin, tulsi, brahmi, bhringraj, neem, Fuller’s earth, kaolin, and saunf along with castor oil
- Improves scalp health by cooling and moisturizing it thoroughly
- Controls hair loss by reducing dandruff and scalp itching
- Repairs and revives damaged hair by boosting blood flow to the roots
- Keeps scalp infections at bay
- Strengthens hair and prevents breakage
- Conditions hair to prevent split ends
- Prevents premature graying of hair
- Makes hair softer, silkier, smoother, and shinier
- Ideal for dull, damaged, dry, and brittle hair
Price: Rs. 495 for 100 gm.
10. Aveda Damage Remedy Split End Repair
The Aveda Damage Remedy Split End Repair is an intensive treatment that instantly repairs split ends. The premium product acts as a leave-in treatment for dry and damaged hair that offers long-lasting repairing as well as beautiful and healthy-looking hair.
- An intensive leave-in treatment
- Formulated with naturally derived ingredients like nangai oil, quinoa protein, etc.
- Repairs split ends instantly by attracting the separated ends back together
- The repairing lasts through the next wash
- Smoothens and seals hair fibers
- Penetrates hair follicles and strengthens the roots
- Prevents the formation of future splits
- Features pure-fume aroma with certified organic bergamot, mandarin, ylang ylang, and other pure flower and plant essences
- Suitable for all hair types
Price: Rs. 2,300 for 30 ml.
Tips to Prevent Split Ends
Avoiding split ends completely is pretty hard. But you can definitely limit their occurrence by following a few simple preventive tips. Here we go (3):
- Be kind to your hair after shampooing and conditioning. Do not rub it with a dry towel. Rather, use an old cotton t-shirt to soak up excess water and then, let it air-dry. Combing or brushing wet hair also makes it more vulnerable to breakage and split ends.
- While trying any hairstyle or simply combing your hair, make sure that you start with detangling. Always use a wide-tooth comb for this purpose as it glides through the hair smoothly without causing any damage to it, thus avoiding split ends. (4)
- Keep your hair well-moisturized to stay away from splitting. The drier the hair, the weaker it is at the ends. Using hair masks or trying deep conditioning treatments may be helpful in reducing dryness and induce intense hydration.
- Avoid heated hair styling appliances as much as possible. They usually dry out hair and change the structure of its keratin protein, thereby triggering issues like split ends, frizz, etc.
- Use a silk or satin pillowcase for sleeping instead of a cotton one. This will reduce friction between your hair and the pillowcase, which prevents the damage and breakage of hair significantly.
Split ends or trichoptilosis refers to the splitting or fraying of the damaged ends of hair strands into two or more fragments. Being the oldest parts of hair shafts, they become weaker over time and turn vulnerable to damage from daily wear and tear. If they start losing their protective layer due to continuous damage, the shafts get split and the inner cortex gets exposed. Some of the most common causes of split ends are too much use of heat, changing hair color too often, exposure to extreme weather conditions, use of wrong hair products, shampooing too frequently, and so on. The only method to get rid of split ends is to trim them off every 3-4 months. While waiting for your next trim, you can effectively control the appearance of split ends by using the best hair care products for split ends available in India. You can also limit the occurrence of split ends by following a few simple preventive tips.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can You Actually Repair Split Ends?
No, you can never get that untouched, virgin hair back by repairing split ends fully. The damage can only be fixed temporarily by mending the strands or chopping off the damaged ends.
Do Split Ends Stop Hair Growth?
Split ends cannot impact the growth of your hair. No matter how damaged the ends of your hair is, the shafts will continue growing. However, they will not be healthy and beautiful anyway.
Can Coconut Oil Prevent Split Ends?
Being a natural moisturizer, coconut oil helps in moisturizing, hydrating, and conditioning hair intensely. When applied to the hair focusing on its ends, the oil helps in maintaining its natural moisture level and prevents split ends.
What Happens If You Don’t Cut Split Ends?
If you do not chop off split ends, the split will expand all the way up the hair shaft. This will turn the shaft thin, frizzy, and unhealthy and it will become damaged eventually.
Is Vaseline Good for Split Ends?
Vaseline helps lock the natural moisture in the hair shafts. This not only keeps hair healthy and strong but also prevents split ends.
- “Hair Cosmetics: An Overview“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Hair Breakage in Patients of African Descent: Role of Dermoscopy“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “7 Ways to Prevent Split Ends“, Healthline.com
- “How to Stop Damaging Your Hair“, AAD.org