Saw palmetto is a palm-like fruit obtained from the shrub ‘Serenoa Repens’. The major use of the ingredient has long been limited to the treatment of Benign Pro-Static Hypertrophy or BPH, especially in men. Now, researches have been going on to prove its efficacy in curing acne and hair loss. Read on to know more:
Saw Palmetto for Acne
Acne is considered as the most irritating skin issue. Though there are myriad of skin care products, chemical treatments and alternative medicine treatments are available for acne, none of them can cure the problem from its root easily. In addition, such experimental treatments often cause unexpected side effects, thereby multiplying our skin issues. Hence, most of us seek natural remedies for acne and saw palmetto is just one of such great natural acne solutions.
(a) What Causes Acne?
Now before we peep into the effectiveness of saw palmetto in curing acne, let’s take a look at the causes behind developing pesky breakouts like this:
- The main evil behind adolescent acne is nothing but frequent hormonal changes. Those years of life are usually characterized by significant hormonal imbalances experienced by our body, which our skin reflects as acne.
- Adult acne is mostly caused by the testosterone hormone present in our body. It is basically an inflammation of the sebaceous glands lying under the skin surface, which happens in response to the over-secretion of testosterone.
Also Read – Orange Peel Face Mask for Oily Skin & Acne Here
(b) Why to Use Saw Palmetto?
Saw palmetto is believed to be one of the highly effective natural remedies for acne. Though there are not many scientific researches to prove the truthfulness of this claim, people who have already tried this ingredient for this purpose is quite happy with the results. Let us try to figure out the how it is related to the removal of acne:
- The extract of saw palmetto is rich in polysaccharide, which has amazing positive effects on our immune system. According to experts, polysaccharides not only give a significant boost to our immunity, but also possess very strong anti-inflammatory qualities. Both of these are essential to prevent inflammatory skin issues like acne breakouts.
- Saw palmetto is known to play a key role in slowing down the transformation process of testosterone, thereby preventing the formation of dihydrotestosterone (DHT). It may increase the level of testosterone hormone in our body at an alarming rate and cause severe acne. But, saw palmetto can act as an anti-androgenic amalgam and shrink the levels of androgen hormones considerably inside our body. As a result, the outbreaks driven by hormones reduce to a great extent.
- Just like averting the inflammation of sebaceous glands and hair follicles resting under the surface layer of our skin, saw palmetto can also take part in opening up the clogged skin pores. It reduces the chances of inflammation as well as keeps acne at bay.
Saw Palmetto for Hair Loss
Like acne, hair loss is another nightmare to all of us, irrespective of men and women. These days, it is pretty hard to find a person who doesn’t experience hair fall. While some get worried to wake up every day with lots of hair in pillow covers, others desperately keep looking for a reliable solution for baldness. The situation may even get worse with the use of chemical or synthetic hair loss treatments as most of them are known to increase hair fall badly. So, it is always a good idea to try something natural like saw palmetto extract for preventing hair fall and restoring lost hair.
(a) What Causes Hair Loss?
Hair loss can be resulted from a number of factors. While some of them cause acute hair thinning, others may lead to complete baldness. Let us take a quick look at the reasons of hair loss first:
- Testosterone is one of the biggest causes of baldness in men. As the level of this hormone rises dramatically in the body after puberty, men start experiencing hair fall in large amounts.
- Like testosterone, the female hormone estrogen is also responsible for hair thinning in women. When the level of estrogen decreases in female body, hair begins to fall in an unnatural manner.
- Besides, nutritional deficiency, stress, psychological changes, etc. can also result into loss of hair to a huge extent.
Also Read – How to Prevent Seasonal Hair Loss? Here
(b) Why to Use Saw Palmetto?
Using the extract of saw palmetto can be very beneficial for our hair and it can stop hair loss the following ways:
- As said before, it can keep the level of testosterone hormone under control, which averts baldness in men eventually.
- It is enriched with plant sterols as well as a number of fatty acids, which are required by our hair strands to grow in a healthy manner. Consequently, our hair becomes stronger and we experience lesser hair fall.
However, you must consult with your doctor before taking saw palmetto regularly as a cure for acne and hair loss. .
Also Read – 10 Best Anti-Hair Loss Products in India for Long, Strong, and Healthy Hair