Saw palmetto is a palm-like fruit obtained from the shrub ‘Serenoa Repens.’ The primary use of the ingredient has long been limited to the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy or BPH, especially in men. Now, research has been going on to prove its efficacy in curing acne and hair loss. Read on to know more. (1)
Saw Palmetto for Acne
Acne deemed the most bothersome skin problem, lacks effective root cures among various skincare products and treatments, often leading to unforeseen side effects. Consequently, many individuals turn to natural remedies for acne, with saw palmetto emerging as a noteworthy solution.
(a) What Causes Acne?
Now, before we peep into the effectiveness of saw palmetto in curing acne, let’s take a look at the causes behind developing pesky breakouts like this:
- The main evil behind adolescent acne is nothing but frequent hormonal changes. Those years of life are usually characterized by significant hormonal imbalances experienced by our body, which our skin reflects as acne.
- The testosterone hormone present in our body mainly causes adult acne. It is an inflammation of the sebaceous glands lying under the skin surface, which happens in response to the over-secretion of testosterone.
Also Read – Orange Peel Face Mask for Oily Skin & Acne
(b) Why to Use Saw Palmetto?
Saw palmetto is believed to be one of the highly effective natural remedies for acne. Though there is not much scientific research to prove the truthfulness of this claim, people who have already tried this ingredient for this purpose are pretty happy with the results. Let us try to figure out how it is related to the removal of acne:
- The saw palmetto extract is rich in polysaccharides, positively affecting our immune system. Experts say polysaccharides significantly boost our immunity and possess powerful anti-inflammatory qualities. Both of these are essential to prevent inflammatory skin issues like acne breakouts.
- Saw palmetto plays a vital role in slowing testosterone’s transformation process, thereby preventing dihydrotestosterone (DHT) formation. It may increase the level of testosterone hormone in our body at an alarming rate and cause severe acne. But, saw palmetto can act as an anti-androgenic amalgam and shrink the levels of androgen hormones considerably inside our body. As a result, the outbreaks driven by hormones are reduced to a great extent.
- Just like averting the inflammation of sebaceous glands and hair follicles resting under the surface layer of our skin, saw palmetto can also open up clogged skin pores. It reduces the chances of inflammation as well as keeps acne at bay.
Saw Palmetto for Hair Loss
Like acne, hair loss is another nightmare for all of us, irrespective of men and women. These days, it is pretty hard to find a person who doesn’t experience hair fall. While some get worried about waking up every day with lots of hair in pillow covers, others desperately keep looking for a reliable solution for baldness. The situation may even worsen with chemical or synthetic hair loss treatments, as most of them are known to increase hair fall badly. So, trying something natural like saw palmetto extract is always a good idea to prevent hair fall and restore lost hair.
Hair loss results from several factors. While some cause acute hair thinning, others may lead to complete baldness. Let us take a quick look at the reasons for hair loss first:
- Testosterone is one of the biggest causes of baldness in men. As the level of this hormone rises dramatically in the body after puberty, men start experiencing hair fall in large amounts.
- Like testosterone, the female hormone estrogen is also responsible for hair thinning in women. When estrogen levels decrease in the female body, hair falls unnaturally.
- Besides, nutritional deficiency, stress, psychological changes, etc., can also result in loss of hair to a considerable extent.
(b) Why to Use Saw Palmetto?
Using the extract of saw palmetto can be very beneficial for our hair, and it can stop hair loss in the following ways:
- As said before, it can control the testosterone hormone level, which averts baldness in men eventually.
- It is enriched with plant sterols and several fatty acids, which our hair strands require to thrive. Consequently, our hair becomes more robust, and we experience less hair fall.
However, you must regularly consult your doctor before taking saw palmetto to cure acne and hair loss.
Saw palmetto, extracted from the Serenoa Repens shrub and traditionally used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), is now under research for its potential to address acne and hair loss. For acne, saw palmetto’s polysaccharides enhance immunity, displaying anti-inflammatory properties and reducing testosterone conversion, minimizing hormonal outbreaks. In combating hair loss, it regulates testosterone levels in men and provides essential nutrients for healthier hair. Consult a doctor before using saw palmetto for acne and hair loss.