Are you updated enough about the latest hair styles and trends? Well, let’s narrow the circle a bit. Have you heard about ‘silk press’, which has become the hottest buzz in the hair industry? If you already know about it, chances are high that you are already clean bowled over the sheen and shine of the style. But if you are still clueless about it, we can come to your rescue. Here is a complete ‘silk press’ guide for you. Keep reading:
What Is ‘Silk Press’?
A silk press is basically a heatless method of ‘temporary hair straightening’ in which the hair is blown dried in multiple sections before it is straightened. It is an upgraded version of the traditional hair straightening method called ‘press and curl’, which makes use of heat for relaxing natural curls. In fact, a silk press is known to give straighter, smoother, and shinier hair without causing significant damages or unwanted hassles. All you need to do is to choose the right tools that are designed and intended specifically for ‘silk straightening’ as well as a smooth and even finish.
Also Read – 5 Ways to Preserve Your Blowout and Make It Last Longer Here
Why Is Silk Press Unique?
Maybe you are still not sure about how a silk press is different from the conventional press & curl, right? Worry not as we explain to you how it is unique and why you should prefer it over the old-fashioned straightening process:
- Gives extremely straight and relaxed hair while maintaining its health
- Makes hair lighter, silkier, smoother, softer and extremely shiny
- Adds lots of body to the hair and makes it bouncy
- No pressing oils or waxes or other oil-based substances are applied to the hair
- The hair doesn’t become greasy or stiff and it also doesn’t feel heavy
- No hot comb or Marcel iron is used for the procedure
- Specific flat irons (ceramic or titanium plates) are used for straightening the locks and silking them out as well
- No chemical products are used during straightening, which prevents hair from damaging
Also Read – How to Use a Straightening Iron Without Damaging Hair Here
Key Steps To a Perfect Silk Press
While it sounds very simple and easy, the method of silk press actually revolves around quite a few key steps. Check out how to master the art of silk pressing and get perfect salon-like hair:
- Start with cleansing and washing your hair with a good clarifying shampoo. It will make your scalp and locks squeaky clean by removing excess oil, dirt, dust, and product buildups. You can even rinse your hair twice with the clarifying shampoo if needed.
- Once your scalp is clarified, wash your hair again with a good hydrating and moisturizing shampoo. The goal is to restore the moisture stripped off the scalp and tame the hair cuticles in order to make them lay flat and smooth. A keratin infused shampoo will do a great job.
- The shampooing should be followed by deep conditioning. Apply a keratin conditioner or a homemade deep conditioning mask to nourish and condition the hair as you can’t use anything moisturizing during the blowout session that may weigh it down. Meanwhile, detangle the locks with the help of a wide-toothed comb.
- Now, it is time to hydrate your hair through steam treatment. For this, you can either wrap a warm towel around your head or simply use a hair steamer. It should take 20-30 minutes for the moisture to penetrate the roots of the hair.
- After that, rinse the conditioner out of your mane. Make sure that you use only cold water as it will seal the moisture in your hair cuticles and add shine to the shafts.
Also Read – Keratin Hair Straightening Treatments – Benefits and Side Effects Here
- To get perfectly straight hair, it is important to blow it out while wet. However, you need to apply a good thermal protectant to your locks beforehand in order to prevent any sort of heat damages. Also, apply a leave-in conditioner or light oil serum (silk serum) along the length of your hair fibres.
- Divide your hair into 4 to 6 identical sections and start to blow drying them one by one. You have to blow dry each section from the roots to the tips thoroughly.
- Apply some more serum or silk oil to your completely dried hair in order make it look and feel smooth, glossy and silky.
- Here comes the most vital part of the job i.e. silk pressing. Take a flat iron (having titanium / ceramic plates as well as adjustable heat settings) and press your hair nicely focusing on the ends. Try to ensure that the previous steps are performed impeccably and your silk press will become flawless.
- Once the flat ironing is done, cut or trim and style your hair as you wish.
A silk press usually lasts 2-3 weeks, which can be extended up to 4 weeks with proper aftercare and maintenance. However, it is always good to seek professional help and makes the most of your silk pressing rather than doing it yourself at home.