When it comes to taking care of our hair, there are hundreds of cosmetic giants offering thousands of products. But if you want to avoid the use of harmful chemicals on your locks, you have to trust the Mother Nature and stick to simple homemade products that have been used since the ancient times. Shikakai powder is one such natural hair care product that was an integral part of ancient Indian hair care practice. In this article, let us uncover the secret recipe of homemade shikakai hair wash powder and everything else you should know to get gorgeous black hair with it.
Why Use Homemade Hair Wash Powder?
Deep black hair is iconic to Indian women and washing it with a homemade herbal powder is always the best to maintain its health and luster. Here is why you should be replacing your branded shampoo with it:
Also Read – All You Need To Know About Heenara Hair Wash Powder Here
- A homemade hair wash powder comes with the goodness of all natural ingredients, which enhances the health and growth of our hair extensively. It is absolutely safe for our hair as it does not contain harmful chemicals like store-bought shampoos.
- It cleanses the scalp, conditions the fibers, and makes the hair perfectly healthy.
- These days, readymade herbal hair wash powder is available in the market, which typically includes 2 to 4 ingredients only (shikakai, reetha, amla, methi, etc.). Preparing your own version at home will allow you to add more beneficial ingredients for even better outcomes.
- Most of the ingredients used in this powder are available locally while rest can be ordered online easily. Moreover, all these are inexpensive and hence, you can save considerable amounts of money by making the powder yourself
Homemade Shikakai Hair Wash Powder Recipe
- Shikakai – 500 gms.
- Reetha (soap nut) – 100 gms.
- Methi (fenugreek seed) – 250 gms.
- Fresh tulsi (holy basil) leaves – 1 bunch
- Moong bean (green gram) – 250 gms.
- Fresh curry leaves – 1 bunch
Also Read – How To Take Care Of Your Hair After Washing Here
When you have gathered all the ingredients, wait for a couple of bright sunny days (best to opt for summer months). Clean and wash each of the ingredients thoroughly and leave them under the sun for 6 hours each day in order to dry them up. In two days’ time, they will be crisp and completely dry. Now, all you have to do is to grind them into a smooth, fine powder and that’s it! Store the hair wash powder in a clean, dry jar. The shelf life of this homemade product is very long. So, you can actually store it for months.
How To Apply
- Take a small portion of the powder in a bowl and add a little water to it. Stir gently until a smooth paste is formed. Let it stay at least for 2 hours before you wash your hair. You can also soak the powder in water the night before use.
- Divide your hair into two sections and apply the paste all over your scalp as well as hair thoroughly.
- Wait for around 5 minutes. You can massage your scalp gently during this time.
- Now, rub your hair very gently with your palms by using plain water and rinse off just like your regular shampoo.
- Repeat the step if necessary and air dry your hair to feel the softness.
Also Read – This Homemade Amla, Reetha, And Shikakai Shampoo Is A Bliss For Your Hair (Recipe With Benefits) Here
Know Your Ingredients And Their Benefits
The best thing about shikakai is that it cleanses the dirt, excess oil, and dandruff accumulated on the scalp, thereby cleansing it, cooling it down, and maintaining the natural oil of the hair. Vitamin C and vitamin D are abundant in this ingredient and it nourishes hair follicles using the micronutrients. It also works s a natural conditioner that strengthens hair roots, makes the fibers softer and promotes luxuriant hair growth.
2. Reetha (Soap Nut)
Reetha is known for its lathering effect, which gives the powder a soapy nature in water. It removes just the right amount of oil from the scalp and makes it squeaky clean by eliminating all impurities and dirt. It is a natural anti-fungal agent that helps treat various scalp diseases too. It also adds a beautiful shine to the locks.
Also Read – Hair Trends Watch: Things You Need To Know About Co-Washing Here
3. Methi (Fenugreek Seed)
Rich in proteins and nicotinic acid, methi is known for nourishing hair roots and adding bounce to the hair fibers by replenishing damaged and dry hair efficiently. Frequent use of methi on hair can prevent premature greying and reverse the condition of baldness. It treats dandruff and stimulates the regrowth of hair too.
4. Tulsi Leaves (Holy Basil)
Tulsi is a wonder plant for hair, which is very readily available. When used in the hair wash powder, it prevents hair fall by reducing body heat, kills lice, removes dandruff, and even thickens the hair shafts.
5. Moong Bean (Green Gram)
Moong bean has exactly what your hair needs to treat split ends i.e. proteins and vitamin B. It also cleanses the scalp, removes dandruff, and maintains the right moisture content of the hair, thereby reducing breakage and making the hair shiny. It also makes the hair dense and gorgeous over time.
6. Curry Leaves
This is the final ingredient that will stop hair thinning and reduce hair fall by repairing damaged roots and strengthening hair follicles. It also treats premature greying while adding a natural shine to your hair. These are also readily available leaves.
Also Read – How To Use Curry Leaves For Hair Growth Here
Keep These Tips In Mind…
- The hair benefits of this homemade shikakai hair wash powder can be boosted any time by adding a few more natural hair-friendly ingredients including amla, hibiscus flower, hibiscus leaves, neem leaves, dried rose petals, dried henna leaves, lemon zest, etc.
- The amount of powder needed for washing hair can vary depending upon the length of the hair.
- While turning the shikakai hair wash powder into a paste, replace plain water with rice water if possible. Rice water is amazing for the health and beauty of our hair and will boost the results of your hair wash significantly.
- Massage your scalp and hair with a good herbal oil and let it sit for 1-2 hours. Washing your hair after this will make it even softer, smoother, and silkier.
- This homemade hair wash powder does not produce lather, but it is highly effective in cleaning the scalp and making the hair soft. So, if you are looking for something lathering, this might not be a good choice for you.
- If stored properly, this hair wash powder can be used for 6 long months. Make sure that you keep it in an airtight container, away from any moisture.