Oh no, we don’t mean for you to drink beer for beautiful hair. As you might have already gathered, what we are talking about is rinsing the hair with beer. Recently, a popular brand came out with a beer shampoo and claimed that it did good things to man hair. But the fact is, man hair or woman’s hair, beer does good things to both.
How is beer helpful for the hair?
- The yeast in the beer helps in plumping up the cuticle in the hair and also adds volume to your hair.
- The hops and barley in the beer is rich in vitamins which do a world of good to your hair when used.
- The alcohol in the beer acts as a cleansing agent. So all in all, beer lends all of its goodness to your hair when you use it to wash your hair.
- Beer is rich in proteins. The proteins help in nourishing the hair and strengthening it. It helps in repairing hair that is damaged by heat and chemicals.
- The malt makes your hair smooth and shiny.
- It helps in smoothing out frizzy hair and seals in the hair shaft.
Also Read – Natural Home Remedies for Frizzy Hair
So how can you use beer on the hair?
Beer has a really strong smell. So though beer itself has conditioning properties, we normally follow up the beer use with the application of a fragrant conditioner that will leave your hair smelling good and not like beer!
1. Final Rinse: Shampoo your hair as usual. Wash your hair. In the final rinse, use a can of beer at room temperature directly on the hair. Massage it well on the scalp. Leave for five minutes. Rinse and condition the hair after this. You will see an increase in the volume and shine of the hair after it naturally dries out.
2. Mix half a cup of beer with 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar and half a cup of water. The ACV helps in cutting the strong smell of the beer. Pour it into a container with a small hole for an opening. This way, it will be easy to pour it all over your scalp without spilling too much of it. Use it after shampoo and before conditioning.
Also Read – Beer for Ditching Your Skin and Hair Problems
3. Beer mask: Pour the beer into a spray bottle and spray it all over your hair, working your scalp with your fingers. Leave it on for about an hour before rinsing.
Some things to remember while using beer for the hair:
- Try to use organic beer.
- Always open the beer and leave it to get flat. Do not pour frizzy beer into the hair.
- Beer has a very strong smell. So unless you want to step out smelling like stale ale, better follow up beer rinse with a conditioner or another way is to add a few drops of fragrant essential oils to the beer rinse that you are going to use. This way, you get the benefit from the essential oil and have great smelling hair too!
Also Read – Best Beer Shampoos in India – Our top 5 picks
Image Credit – Featured, 1