Most people do not like the sight of stretch marks on their bodies. For some, it makes them feel less beautiful. For others, the presence of stretch marks on their skin can go as far as affecting their self-esteem. Whichever side of the divide you are on, one thing is certain, if you have an option, you will opt to get rid of your stretch marks.
Who doesn’t want smooth skin with no blemish? Who wouldn’t want to wear any type of clothing they desire without the fear of exposing their stretch marks? Or flaunt their bodies without the worry of stretch marks raining on their parade?
Some of these stretch marks may leave visible ugly scarrings appearing on parts of our bodies in some scenarios. But they seem to have a mind of their own, choosing their hosts, particularly what parts of our bodies to make a home. This article will be looking at some of the best stretch mark removal creams you may use to get rid of stretch marks. But first, let’s take a look at what stretch marks are.
What are Stretch Marks?
According to Medical News Today (1), stretch marks are visible long, narrow streaks, stripes, or lines that develop on the skin. They are a type of scar that develops when our skin stretches or shrinks quickly, according to the American Academy of Dermatology (2). These rippled marks may also be referred to as stria.
- Stretch marks may take on different colors depending on the skin type of the individual. For example, it may be visible in red, purple, pink, reddish-brown, or dark brown colors.
- Also, its appearance on the body may be faint, mild, or in some cases, bold.
- Sometimes stretch marks may be itchy or make you feel sore.
- They may appear anywhere on your body, but they often appear on your stomach, buttocks, breast, thighs, and upper arms.
While stretch marks aren’t harmful to our health, they may not always appear good to look at.
Who can have stretch marks?
Stretch marks may appear on any body type; anyone can have stretch marks. Whether you are
- Skinny or fat
- Pregnant or not
- Male or female; stretch marks can find their way on your body.
Causes of Stretch Marks
Stretch marks are caused when our body grows rapidly so that our skin cannot keep up with the growth. These growth activities cause the tearing of the dermis layer of the skin. When our skin can’t stretch enough to keep up with this rapid growth, it produces these marks on our body. This occurs especially when our body lacks sufficient collagen – a protein that makes the skin more elastic.
This rapid growth of the body may occur in different situations. Such as
- When there is weight gain
- Extensive bodybuilding
- Breast enlargement surgery
- Rapid growth during puberty
- During pregnancy
- Using anabolic steroids or corticosteroids
Any of the above-listed situations may cause the appearance of stretch marks. Although stretch marks may fade off naturally on their own after some time, they never really disappear completely. You may diminish their presence by using specially formulated skin creams that penetrate the inner layers of your skin and repair the torn dermis.
11 Best Stretch Mark Removal Creams To Try
There is yet to be a solution to remove stretch marks to disappear from the skin completely. However, there are existing solutions that may help make stretch marks less noticeable and diminish their presence. One of such solutions is the use of stretch mark removal creams. Below are some of such creams you may consider trying out today to get rid of your stretch marks:
1. Premium Edition Stretch Mark & Scar Removal Cream
Premium Edition Stretch Mark & Scar Cream helps fade the appearance of existing stretch marks and reduces the appearance of new ones. The product is paraben-free and does not contain any animal-derived ingredients to meet the latest consumer demands.
- It diminishes the appearance of stretch marks and scars on the abdomen, breasts, hips, buttocks, and thighs.
- It combines Elastonyl, Collaxyl with naturally derived ingredients like shea butter, rosehip seed oil, and cocoa butter in diminishing the appearance of stretch marks.
- It also contains peptide Collaxyl (hexapeptide-9), which has been experimentally shown to benefit skin repair.
The recommendation for its application is to apply it every 3-4 hours daily, before and after going to bed. After cleansing, apply to your face or body and gently massage until absorbed.
2. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula – Complete Stretch Mark Care
This special cream helps improve the appearance of scars and stretch marks during and after pregnancy. This kit features Massage Lotion, Massage Cream, Tummy Butter Balm, and Skin Therapy Oil.
Here are some of the ingredients it contains:
- Cocoa Butter and Shea Butter – To soften, smooth, and plump your skin
- Vitamin E – To support moisture retention
- Lutein – To improve hydration and support stretching the skin
- Argan Oil – To soften and condition your skin
- Almond Oil – To deeply moisturize your skin
- Coconut Oil, extracted from raw coconut – To support healthy and supple skin.
It is recommended for use on all skin types, including sensitive skin. Instead of your usual moisturizer, apply all over the body 3 times per day to improve skin’s elasticity and suppleness, and then layer on tummy, hips, thighs, or any other parts of your body.
3. Mommy Knows Best Stretch Mark Vanishing Cream
The stretch Mark Vanishing Cream may help reduce the appearance and depth of stretch marks on your body. It combines the power of premium ingredients that sink deep into your skin, leaving you with a smooth and supple.
It contains ingredients such as
- Vitamin E
- Mango Butter and other proven natural and organic ingredients.
This cream is recommended for pregnancy stretch marks; you may also use it if you aren’t pregnant. Apply this cream to your clean and dry skin. Massage into the affected area until completely absorbed, and then allow it to dry. To get the best result, use it twice a day (morning & night).
4. Botanic Tree Stretch Mark Removal Cream
This paraben-free cocoa butter belly lotion soothes and moisturizes your skin, increases its resilience, removes old stretch marks or scars, and prevents the creation of new ones. It is ideal for all skin types, with a potent blend of glycolic acid, bamboo, peppermint, olive oil, moringa, and xanthan gum.
It is great for pregnant women and new moms. If you have sensitive skin, apply a small portion to the back of your hand before applying to the affected skin area.
5. Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy
Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy is a nourishing cream formula that combines a unique blend of ingredients like:
- Cepalin – a proprietary botanical extract
- Hyaluronic acid
- Centella Asiatica plant extract
Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy doesn’t just serve as a stretch mark removal cream but may also work to prevent stretch marks, especially during pregnancy. It locks moisture in the skin to help prevent stretch marks and may be used during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. It is perfect for moms.
Apply and gently massaged in a circular motion on all body areas where you have stretch marks. Apply 2 times a day, morning and evening. Results can be seen as soon as 4 weeks, with optimal results in 12 weeks.
6. TriLASTIN Stretch Mark Prevention Cream
This cream targets prevention – it prevents stretch marks from showing up on your body in the first place, especially during pregnancy.
- It helps improve skin elasticity to prevent stretch marks from forming
- It supports and soothes skin relieving itch and dryness.
It is pH Balanced – 6.0, which protects, soothes and nourishes the skin.
It also contains 15 extracts and botanical oils enriched with essential fatty acids and antioxidants.
For best results, apply immediately after cleansing and gently massage into the skin.
7. Frankincense Massage Oil
Frankincense Massage Oil contains natural ingredients and is formulated with a powerful blend of oils such as
- Grapefruit oils.
It is great for pregnancy stretch marks and new scars. However, it is recommended to use a little amount on a small area to test. Discontinue use if uncomfortable or if irritation occurs.
8. Pure Life Science Stretch Mark Oil
Whether it’s your hips, thighs, buttocks, or abdomen area, this stretch mark oil is designed to penetrate the skin and reach the underlying fat tissues causing stretch marks. It is made with the following ingredients:
- Grape Seed Oil, which has astringent qualities in it. It is regenerating, moisturizing, and skin tightening. It is a lightweight oil perfect for keeping your areas with cellulite.
- Eucalyptus – effectively affects fat deposits that lie just under the skin (subcutaneous fat). It has anti-inflammatory properties and soothes painful cellulite sensations.
- Lemon (Citrus Limon) stimulates the circulatory system and improves microcirculation, strengthening vascular tissues. It is used for treating varicose veins by improving circulation and relieving pressure on the veins.
- Grapefruit – is a diuretic and lymph tonic. It is irreplaceable in the treatment of cellulite, water retention, and fat reduction.
Apply the massage oil on damp skin after taking a shower or bath. This will lock in the moisture. Oil applied to dry skin will coat the skin but will not penetrate. Instead, massage the oil into the skin until it is absorbed.
9. Arabica Coffee Scrub
100% Natural Arabica Coffee Scrub 10 oz. with Organic Coffee, Coconut, and Shea Butter. This high caffeine formula specializes in targeting stretch marks & Spider veins while boosting your skin’s antioxidants.
The caffeine in the coffee scrub may also help in reducing the appearance of varicose veins. The dead sea salt content of the body scrub also helps to lighten the scars and tighten the skin. Gently massage in a circular motion in the bath or shower, rinse properly. This will leave your skin with a fine film of oil, do not worry about that; gently pat your skin dry to leave it feeling super smooth and soft.
10. Belly Oil $12.95
This oil fights stretch marks and scars by supporting healthy skin cell regeneration and elasticity. It is made with ingredients including
- Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil
- Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Oil
- Olea Europea (Olive) Fruit Oil
- Argania Spinosa (Argan) Seed Oil.
To use, slowly squeeze the dropper and dispense a single drop into the palm. Then, using your fingertips, gently rub over the desired areas, avoiding the eye area.
11. Scar Removal Cream
This cream doesn’t just work for scar removal but also on stretch marks. It effectively reduces Stretch Marks, Acne & C Section Scars, and burns. In addition, it is clinically proven to help flatten and soften even the Old Scars. Its 100% natural formula softens, flattens, and fades even the old scars and burns. The revitalizing combination of oils helps improve the texture of your skin. It also hydrates and nourishes your epidermis, preventing dryness and leaving your skin feeling soft and incredibly gentle.
While it may not be fully under our control to determine whether stretch marks will appear on our bodies or not, we have the option to get rid of them. There are various stretch mark removal creams to help in getting rid of the stretch marks when they show up and become problematic for us. Yes, stretch marks cannot be completely removed, but these above-mentioned creams may help diminish their appearance and in some cases, prevent them from showing up at all; for instance, during pregnancy. You do not have to feel helpless about the appearance of stretch marks. If you opt to get rid of them, you can.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do these creams completely remove stretch marks?
No! It doesn’t completely remove them but diminishes them.
What if these creams do not work for you?
You can discuss other options with your dermatologist. For example, you may require light and laser therapy.
- “How do I get rid of stretch marks?” – medicalnewstoday.com
- “STRETCH MARKS: WHY THEY APPEAR AND HOW TO GET RID OF THEM” – aad.org