Is your makeup remover good enough to take care of your skin? Maybe not and hence, you need to switch to sweet almond oil. The health and beauty benefits of sweet almond oil are quite well-known. But most of us hardly know that the super nourishing oil is also a magical makeup remover in disguise. While regular makeup removing products do not have a direct contribution to skin improvement, the natural alternatives to them like sweet almond oil can do good to your skin in more than just one way. In this article, let us take a closer look at the methods of using almond oil to remove makeup along with its amazing skin benefits that you can enjoy at the same time.
What are Almonds?
Almonds, commonly referred to as ‘nuts’, are nothing but the edible seeds of the fruits obtained from the almond tree (Prunus dulcis). Being a satisfying food, these are widely consumed as whole nuts or used in trail mixes for snacking. Almonds are also made into non-dairy milk or ground into flour for culinary uses. The peach-shaped seeds can be categorized into sweet almonds and bitter almonds. Sweet almonds are used for consumption and preparing cosmetics while bitter almonds are admired for their medicinal properties. However, bitter almonds are not easily available and they also need to be processed rightly to avoid toxicity (1).
Read Also – The Benefits of Almond Oil on Hair and Skin
What is Almond Oil?
As almonds are extremely high in fat, they are used as a great source of oil all across the globe. Almond oil is a pale yellow-colored oil with a fainted nutty aroma. It is extracted from dried sweet almonds through the method of cold-pressing and has multiple uses. Almond oil has many potential health benefits. According to ancient Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine, it can even heal minor cuts and injuries while soothing the skin wonderfully. It is an amazing natural moisturizer for our skin and hair too. Being a non-toxic beauty treatment, almond oil is also used in a wide range of skin and hair care cosmetics.
Types of Almond Oil
Based on the process of preparation, almond oil is divided into the following two categories:
- Refined Almond Oil: It is derived from almonds using high heat and chemical treatments, which destroys most of the nutrients found in the raw oil (2). Hence, refined almond oil has significantly less nutritional value. However, the oil can withstand high temperatures and it is also known as an affordable choice.
- Unrefined Almond Oil: This type of oil is extracted by pressing raw, hulled, and dried almonds. It does not involve high heat or chemical agents, which helps in retaining the optimal nutrition of the oil. This also makes unrefined almond oil as an excellent choice for cooking.
Nutritional Breakdown of Almond Oil
Almond oil packs tons of nutrients that are beneficial for our overall health and appearance. Just a tablespoon (14 gm.) of almond oil is known to contain substantial amounts of healthy fats, vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin D, zinc, phytosterols, etc. (3) The goodness of almond oil is mostly attributed to its high fatty acid content. Studies have concluded that unrefined sweet almond oil includes about 70% monounsaturated fat, 20% polyunsaturated fat, and 10% saturated fat.
Health Benefits of Almond Oil
Before moving on to the process and benefits of using almond oil as a makeup remover, let us take a quick look at how it works for our health:
- Unsaturated fats in almond oil may lower the levels of both bad cholesterol (LDL) and total cholesterol (TC) while increasing the level of good cholesterol (HDL) in the bloodstream. (4)
- As blood cholesterol levels are improved, blood pressure levels are also regulated by almond oil, which helps in keeping conditions like hypertension away. (5)
- Regulated levels of cholesterol and blood pressure may help us maintain our cardiovascular health efficiently by reducing the risk of heart diseases. (6)
- Almond oil may help stabilize the blood sugar levels and improve insulin resistance with its monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. (7)
- Being rich in antioxidant vitamin E, almond oil may help combat several chronic diseases (endometrial cancer, macular degeneration, cognitive decline, etc.) caused by oxidative damage. (8) (9) (10)
- Almond oil may also help you shed excess body weight, which eventually reduces the risk of obesity. (11)
Now, let us talk about the use of almond oil as a simple and highly effective makeup remover. We will start with the reasons why it is considered as the best natural option to try.
Why Choose Almond Oil As a Makeup Remover?
When it comes to using almond oil for getting rid of makeup, we wonder whether it would be better than commercially available synthetic makeup removing alternatives or not. This is all because we do not know how exactly the oil does its job. So, here is why and how almond oil is different from other makeup removers available in the market:
- All-Natural: Instead of harsh chemical compounds, the sweet almond oil contains all-natural substances that strictly prevent skin damage.
- Skin-Friendly: It is rich in skin-friendly nutrients like vitamins (A, E, and D), oleic acid, linoleic acid, etc., which makes the skin look fresh and healthy after removing makeup.
- Light and Gentle: The oil is lightweight and gentle enough to use on the skin, especially on the sensitive parts including eyelids, undereye area, and lips.
- Non-Greasy: Being a light oil, it glides on the skin smoothly without leaving any oily or sticky residue.
- Easy to Remove: As almond oil does not have a thick and heavy consistency, the makeup can be wiped off easily without pulling or tugging the skin.
- Highly Effective: It can also be used for removing stubborn eye makeup like waterproof mascara and there is no need to put extra efforts at all.
- Suits All Skin Types: Almond oil suits all types of skin (normal, dry, oily, combination, and sensitive) and can be used even with certain skin conditions, such as psoriasis, eczema, etc.
- Non-Comedogenic: Though it is an oil, it is non-comedogenic and hence, will never give you acne, pimples, or breakouts.
- Non-Aromatic: It is completely odorless, which is good for sensitive noses.
- Long-Lasting: A little amount of almond oil goes a long way. Therefore, it is pretty affordable too.
Read Also – DIY Super Simple Eye Makeup Remover
Skin Benefits of Almond Oil Makeup Remover
The goodness of almond oil is not only limited to how it is different from other makeup removers. As said earlier, it benefits the skin in many other ways when applied topically for eliminating makeup. So, here are the advantages of using sweet almond oil as a makeup remover:
1. Moisturizes Intensely
Sweet almond oil is known to be one of the best natural moisturizers that lubricate skin perfectly and preserves its natural moisture by restoring its normal pH. It is even effective in treating dry skin conditions, such as mild eczema, psoriasis, etc.
2. Softens the Skin
It is a great emollient that gets absorbed into the skin upon a little massage and prevents water loss from the skin (12). As a result, the skin feels well-hydrated, softer, and smoother sans greasiness.
3. Protects from the Sun
Almond oil works as excellent natural sun protection that may also reverse the effects of long sun exposure efficiently. Animal studies have concluded that the antioxidant vitamin E in the oil may prevent the damage of skin cells caused by the ultraviolet rays of the sun (13).
4. Fights Against Aging
Vitamin A, vitamin E, and omega-3 fatty acids in sweet almond oil may help the skin fight against the effects of damaging free radicals. This is essential to avert the appearance of the signs of premature aging like wrinkles, fine lines, age spots, and so forth. It also stimulates the production of new cells to smooth out the existing fine lines on the skin.
5. Reduces Inflammation
The oil is a natural anti-inflammatory agent, which offers soothing and calming effects on the skin while treating various allergies and infections. Moreover, the fatty acids and the retinoids in it are effective in dissolving excess sebum as well as increasing cell turnover respectively, which cumulatively helps in healing acne (14).
6. Treats Dark Circles
Almond oil treats dark under-eye circles successfully with its high vitamin and antioxidant components. Its anti-inflammatory properties are also helpful in easing the swelling of the skin, thereby reducing periorbital puffiness.
7. Heals Facial Scars
If you have old scars on your facial skin, using almond oil may help. It contains vitamin E and zinc, which may decrease scarring to a great extent by smoothing out the skin in the affected areas.
8. Fades Stretch Marks
9. Enhances Complexion
Regular application of almond oil for removing makeup may also enhance your skin tone and beautify your complexion over time.
Unrefined sweet almond oil is considered as the best choice for beauty uses as it contains the maximum amounts of vitamin E, fatty acids, and other skin-friendly nutrients.
Read Also – 8 DIY Makeup Removers from Your Kitchen
How to Use Almond Oil to Remove Makeup?
The process of using almond oil as a makeup remover is simple and easy to follow. The steps are given below:
- Pour 3-4 drops of sweet almond oil onto your palm and apply it all over your face. If you are wearing lots of eye makeup, focus on applying the oil to your eye area.
- Massage gently by using your fingertips. Follow a small circular motion to help your skin soak up the oil fast.
- Take a cotton ball or swab, dip it into rosewater, and rub your makeup off gently with it.
- Finally, wash your face with some lukewarm water and a mild facial cleanser. You may also skip this step and let the oil steep into your face to enjoy the maximum benefits.
For a quicker method, pour a few drops of almond oil directly onto a cotton ball or swab and wipe your makeup off with it by rubbing gently.
Safety Precautions to Follow
Whether used as a makeup remover or applied as a moisturizer, almond oil is generally considered safe for our skin. But if you are allergic to nuts, it is advised to steer clear of it. Besides, you should always do a patch test before using almond oil on your skin as a makeup remover. If you do not experience itching, burning, redness, or swelling within the next few hours, it is probably a safe bet for you.
Read Also – 10 Amazing Health Benefits of Almond Oil
Almond oil is pale yellow-colored, odorless, and lightweight natural oil extracted from the seeds of the almond ‘nuts’. Though there are both sweet almond oil and bitter almond oil, it is only the sweet almond oil that has widely been used for culinary, beauty, and other purposes. Nutritive almond oil is a good choice for our health as it lowers blood cholesterol, reduces hypertension, stabilizes blood sugar levels, and prevents a number of chronic diseases. It also takes great care of our skin by moisturizing it deeply, preventing premature aging, protecting from sun damage, and so on. Being a mild and lightweight oil with no aroma, almond oil is used as a natural makeup remover too. All you need to do is apply the hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic oil to your face, massage gently, and wipe it away with a cotton ball-dipped into rosewater. However, you should not replace your regular makeup remover with almond oil if you are allergic to nuts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which Oil is Best for Removing Makeup?
While almond oil is a great choice for removing makeup naturally, jojoba oil is known to be the best one for this purpose. It is extremely gentle and does not cause any kind of stress on the skin during makeup removal.
Does Almond Oil Clog Pores?
Almond oil is a mild, hypoallergenic, and non-comedogenic oil that does not clog pores and hence, is good for all skin types. It gets absorbed into the skin almost immediately and cleanses the pores from deep within, which makes it a natural cleanser too.
Can Almond Oil Darken Skin?
Almond oil is not a tanning oil and hence, it does not darken the skin.
Does Almond Oil Whiten Skin?
No, almond oil does not whiten the skin. But its regular application may even out the skin tone by eliminating hyperpigmentation (spots, marks, and blemishes) with its vitamin and fatty acid contents.
Which is Better – Coconut Oil or Almond Oil?
Both coconut oil and almond oil are excellent for our skin. But being comedogenic, coconut oil may not be suitable for oily skin while almond oil suits oily and acne-prone skin easily.
- “Health Benefits and Uses of Almond Oil“, Healthline.com
- “Virgin Almond Oil: Extraction Methods and Composition“, grasasyaceites.revistas.csic.es
- “Oil, Vegetable, Almond“, NutritionData.self.com
- “Almond Consumption and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Adults with Prediabetes“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Effects of Monounsaturated Fatty Acids on Cardiovascular Risk Factors: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Dietary Fat Intake and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease and All-Cause Mortality in a Population at High Risk of Cardiovascular Disease“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Acute and Second-Meal Effects of Almond Form in Impaired Glucose Tolerant Adults: a Randomized Crossover Trial“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Free Radicals, Antioxidants in Disease and Health“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Dietary Antioxidants and Primary Prevention of Age-Related Macular Degeneration: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Antioxidant Intake and Cognitive Function of Elderly Men and Women: the Cache County Study”, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Effects of Unsaturated Fatty Acids on Weight Loss, Body Composition and Obesity-Related Biomarkers“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “The Uses and Properties of Almond Oil“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Effects of Topical and Oral Vitamin E on Pigmentation and Skin Cancer Induced by Ultraviolet Irradiation in Skh:2 Hairless Mice“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Sebum Analysis of Individuals With and Without Acne“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “The Effect of Aloe Vera Gel and Sweet Almond Oil on Striae Gravidarum in Nulliparous Women“, TandFOnline.com