Do you dream of having smooth, hair-free skin that lasts for weeks? Even though hair removal is a pain (not only figuratively, but often also literally), when done the right way, it has blissful results that are worth the temporary bouts of ouch. However, with a myriad of options on the market, finding the right hair removal method can be quite tricky: Shaving doesn’t last, laser hair removal is extra pricey, and waxing can be super painful and ineffective on short hairs. If you’ve tried all of these methods and are still not satisfied with the results, epilating might be exactly what you’re looking for. This hair removal method will give you long-lasting results, and your skin will be smooth for up to 4 weeks.
What is an epilator?
An epilator is an electrical device with rotating tweezers to pull out multiple hairs from the root. You turn on the device and move it across your skin, letting the tweezers remove the unwanted hair. Even though removing hair by the root may be quite painful at first, don’t panic—the pain decreases significantly with every epilation session.
TRIVIA: In 1985, two Israeli engineers came together and developed the first hand-held epilator, the Epilady. The telephone receiver sized machine, which is equipped with a motor can pull apart the hair at the root. (1)
Why use an epilator?
Epilating has major benefits, such as long-lasting smooth skin and less noticeable new hair. In addition, after frequent epilating, your new hair becomes softer, lighter, and finer than before because epilating damages the hair’s follicle.
- Epilators provide long-lasting hair-free skin for everyone, no matter what their skin tone or hair color is.
- With an epilator, you can epilate as soon as you notice the unwanted hair. Many epilators can grab the hair at lengths as short as 0.5mm.
- Removing hair from the root may be painful the first time, but the more you epilate, the less pain you will experience.
- Epilators are gentle enough to be used on sensitive skin. In addition, because there are no chemicals used, epilating is a safer option than waxing which can irritate your skin.
- You can kiss goodbye to shaving rashes, nicks, and cuts.
- It is more cost-effective than regular wax or laser appointments.
Side effects of epilation
Since epilation involves pulling out hair from the root, it can be quite painful and can cause irritation in some people. In addition, people with sensitive skin may experience the following side effects:
- Inflammation and redness
- Tenderness to the touch
- Ingrown hair
Luckily, most of the side effects will pass in a couple of hours after epilating. That’s why you should always epilate at night to allow these side effects to subside.
Also Read – Easy Homemade Ways to Remove Underarm Hair
How to epilate?
The key to silky smooth and hair-free skin is in the prep. If you are a beginner, it is best to start with areas of the skin that are not so sensitive.
- Moisturize your skin the day before.
- Use an epilator at night because you may experience redness and skin irritation after removing hair.
- Take a warm shower to open up your pores before epilating.
- Exfoliate your skin to help loosen any ingrown hairs and dead skin.
- Once your body is prepped, hold the device at a 90-degree angle to your skin and glide the epilator slowly over your legs.
- With your other hand, pull the skin tight while epilating to minimize the pain.
- After epilating, moisturize your skin to help ease any redness and inflammation.
- Clean your epilator with alcohol and make sure to remove any lingering hair to reduce the risk of a skin infection.
TRIVIA: It is important to epilate slowly. If you epilate too fast or move the device against the direction of hair growth, you may break the hair rather than pull it out from the root. This way, these broken hairs may become ingrown or infected. (2)
The 5 Best Epilators
If you’re interested in giving epilating a shot, here are our favorite options that will get you on your way to silky smooth skin.
1. Braun Silk-épil 9-880
Price: $149.99 | Speed Settings: 2 Speeds | Number of Tweezers: 40
This epilator features a wide pivoting head to remove more hair in one stroke for long-lasting smoothness. It is great for sensitive skin as it can shave and trim sensitive areas without the fear of nicks and cuts. And the best part is that it can be used on dry skin or in the shower for a more pleasant experience.
- 100% waterproof so you can epilate in the shower for a less painful experience.
- Additional attachments can help epilate, gently shave and trim sensitive areas.
- It comes with a high-frequency massage cap to help reduce the sensation of pain.
- The revolutionary “SensoSmart technology” helps the epilation process by ensuring the right amount of pressure is applied using a red light.
2. Philips Epilator Series 8000
Price: $109.99 | Speed Settings: 2 Speeds | Number of Tweezers: 32
Ideal for wet epilation, this ergonomically S-shaped epilator effortlessly removes even the finest and shortest hairs. It comes with a wider epilation head, thus covering a larger skin area and enabling a quicker epilation process.
- The epilator comes with lots of power and can give you hairless legs in just 10 mins.
- Unique light ensures you don’t miss fine hairs.
- It comes with a shaving head and trimming comb.
- It contains 8 attachments, including a pedicure head for satin-smooth feet and an exfoliation brush to remove dead skin cells and prevent ingrown hairs.
3. Panasonic ES-ED70-G
Price: $79.99 | Speed Settings: 2 Speeds | Number of Tweezers: 48
This high-efficiency epilator has dual wide discs with 48 tweezers. Its head pivots 30° forward and 30° backward to gently conform to each of your body’s individual contours. It can be used with shower gel for foam epilation that enhances comfort.
- Perfect for sensitive skin: it includes a Shaver Head with hypo-allergenic blades and foil for hair removal.
- Comes with 5 snap-on attachments to safely remove hair on arms, legs, underarms, and bikini areas.
- Includes a LED light to illuminate hard-to-see hairs for quicker and easier shaving and epilation.
- Can be used in the bath with your favorite foam, gel, or soap.
4. Epilady Speed Corded Epilator
Price: $49.95 | Speed Settings: 2 Speeds | Number of Tweezers: 40
This affordable epilator has corded power, so you don’t have to worry about recharging or losing power. It is compact and small but can efficiently remove hair all over the body.
- This is one of the smallest epilators, and as such, it makes for a great option to pack in your suitcase and take wherever you want.
- Equipped with a Perfect Angle Guide (PAG), which allows the user to position the epilator at the perfect angle easily.
- It has anti-pinch technology.
5. Remington Smooth & Silky Essential Epilator EP7010F
Price: $48.00 | Speed Settings: 2 Speeds | Number of Tweezers: 40
This simple-to-use epilator features an updated design that’s built for comfort. Its angled head stays close to the skin and easily removes even the shortest hairs straight from the root to deliver smooth and silky results.
- 100% waterproof so you can use it in the shower for ultimate comfort and easy cleanup.
- It has corded power so you can enjoy consistent power.
- It has comfort barrels that help reduce skin irritation during the hair removal process.
When it comes to removing unwanted hair, you have many options. Shaving, epilating, waxing, threading, and laser hair removal are some of the most popular ones. If you want cheap but long-lasting results, your best bet may be to invest in an epilator. Epilator is a device that removes the hair from the root and creates long-lasting smooth skin in the comfort of your own home. Consistent epilating causes hair to grow back less noticeably and when done correctly it will save time in your grooming routine.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is epilating painful?
There is no way of sugar-coating it. So, yes, there will be some level of discomfort when epilating, depending on your pain threshold. However, the good news is that the more you epilate, the less painful it will be.
Is dry epilation or wet depilation better?
Both ways are equally good, so it’s completely up to you. However, if you are worried about the pain, it might be more convenient and less painful to epilate on wet skin.
How to epilate?
Hold your device at a 90-degree angle to your legs. Run the epilator in an upward motion against the direction that the hairs are growing. Make sure not to press down too hard and not to go too fast because going too fast risks breaking the hair, which may lead to ingrown hairs.
How often should you epilate?
This all depends on the speed of your hair regrowth and what epilator you’re using, but you can typically expect results to last at least four weeks. However, if you’re new to epilating, try to epilate once a week, and you’ll notice the process becomes much easier and less time-consuming each time.
How long should my hair be before epilating?
Epilators work best when hair is short. If the hair is too long, your epilator could break off your hair instead of fully pulling it out. You should shave approximately three days before epilating to give your hair enough time to grow out a little for the best results.
- “INTERNATIONAL REPORT; Israelis Revolutionize Hair Removal Industry” – nytimes.com
- “Is an Epilator the Hair Remover You’ve Been Looking for?” – healthline.com