Do you dream of having smooth, hair-free skin that lasts for weeks? Even though hair removal is a pain (not only figuratively, but often also literally), when done the right way, it has blissful results that are worth the temporary bouts of ouch. However, with many options on the market, finding the right hair removal method can be pretty tricky: Shaving doesn’t last, laser hair removal is extra pricey, and waxing can be super painful and ineffective on short hairs. If you’ve tried all of these methods and are still not satisfied with the results, epilating might be exactly what you’re looking for. This hair removal method will give you long-lasting results, and your skin will be smooth for up to 4 weeks.
What is an epilator?
An epilator is an electrical device with rotating tweezers to pull out multiple hairs from the root. You turn on the device and move it across your skin, letting the tweezers remove the unwanted hair. Even though removing hair by the root may be pretty painful at first, don’t panic—the pain decreases significantly with every epilation session.
TRIVIA: In 1985, two Israeli engineers came together and developed the first hand-held epilator, the Epilady. The machine, which is equipped with a motor can pull apart the hair at the root. (1)
Also Read- 3 Homemade Wax Recipes for Facial Hair Removal You’d Love to Try
Why use an epilator?
Epilating has significant benefits, such as long-lasting smooth skin and less noticeable new hair. In addition, after frequent epilating, your new hair becomes softer, lighter, and finer than before because epilating damages the hair’s follicle.
- Epilators remove hair effortlessly and can give you smooth skin without any hair.
- With an epilator, you can epilate as soon as you notice the unwanted hair. Many epilators can grab the hair at lengths as short as 0.5mm.
- Removing hair from the root may be painful the first time, but the more you epilate, the less pain you will experience.
- Epilators are gentle enough to be used on sensitive skin. In addition, epilating is a safer option than waxing which can irritate your skin. It’s free from chemicals.
- You can kiss goodbye to shaving rashes, nicks, and cuts.
- It is more cost-effective than regular wax or laser appointments.
Side effects of epilation
Epilation removes hair from the roots; it can be pretty painful and irritate some people. In addition, people with sensitive skin may experience the following side effects:
- Inflammation and redness
- Tenderness to the touch
- Ingrown hair
Luckily, most of the side effects will pass in a couple of hours after epilating. That’s why you should always epilate at night to allow these side effects to subside.
Also Read – Easy Homemade Ways to Remove Underarm Hair
How to epilate?
The key to silky smooth and hair-free skin is in the prep. If you are a beginner, it is best to start with areas of the skin that are not so sensitive.
- Moisturize your skin the day before.
- Use an epilator at night because you may experience redness and skin irritation after removing hair.
- Take a warm shower to open up your pores before epilating.
- Exfoliate your skin to help loosen any ingrown hairs and dead skin.
- Once your body is prepped, hold the device at a 90-degree angle to your skin and glide the epilator slowly over your legs.
- With your other hand, pull the skin tight while epilating to minimize the pain.
- After epilating, moisturize your skin to help ease any redness and inflammation.
- Make sure to clean your epilator with a sanitizer and get rid of any hair to reduce the risk of a skin infection.
TRIVIA: It is important to note that device should be used slowly. Moreover, there is a high probability of devloping infection or ingrown hair if you try to use the device aganst the growth of hair as it may result in hair breakage. (2)
The 5 Best Epilators
To make your epilator hunt easy, we list some of the most popular devices to choose from. Check these out!
1. Braun Silk-épil 9-880
Price: $149.99 | Speed Settings: 2 Speeds | Number of Tweezers: 40
This one is one of the most popular epilators from Braun. Its broad head makes the process faster and less painful. It can be used even for removing hair from sensitive areas. Based on your preference, it can be used on dried and wet skin.
- 100% waterproof
- Comes with revolutionary technology to make the epilation process less painful
- Comes with a long-lasting battery and intelligent light that highlights fine hairs
Also Read –Waxing vs. Epilators – Which is a better method of hair removal?
2. Philips Epilator Series 8000
Price: $109.99 | Speed Settings: 2 Speeds | Number of Tweezers: 32
This epilator from Philips comes with many exciting features, including the ergonomic design, making epilation less painful even for the shortest hairs. Its wider head can easily remove hair from a large area.
- A powerful epilator that can give you a hair-free leg in 10 minutes
- Comes with light for better visibility
- It comes with a shaving head and trimming comb.
- It contains 8 attachments, including a pedicure head for satin-smooth feet and an exfoliation brush to remove dead skin cells and prevent ingrown hairs.
3. Panasonic ES-ED70-G
Price: $79.99 | Speed Settings: 2 Speeds | Number of Tweezers: 48
This efficient epilator comes with two powerful wide discs with 48 tweezers. Its flexible head makes it convenient to maneuver the device in difficult parts of the body. The waterproof feature makes the hair removal process less painful.
- Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin
- 5 unique blades to remove hair on arms, legs, underarms, and bikini areas.
- LED light for better visibility
- Water-resistant and can be used along with bath gel
Also Read – How To Stop Hair Growth On Forehead With Simple Natural Home Remedies?
4. Epilady Speed Corded Epilator
Price: $49.95 | Speed Settings: 2 Speeds | Number of Tweezers: 40
This is a corded device; hence you can use it without worrying about the battery life. It is affordable and compact, and travel-friendly.
- Very small in size and quite handy
- Its unique technology allows you to position the device at a convenient angle.
- Features anti-pinch technology.
Also Read – 10 Best Hair Removal Creams in India for a Hair-Free, Soft, and Smooth Skin
5. Remington Smooth & Silky Essential Epilator EP7010F
Price: $48.00 | Speed Settings: 2 Speeds | Number of Tweezers: 40
This simple-to-use epilator features an updated design that’s built for comfort. Its 100% waterproof feature enables you to use the device in the shower.
- 100% waterproof
- Comes with a power cord
- Equipped with comfort barrels – this minimizes the irritation during the epilation process.
Shaving, epilating, waxing, threading, and laser hair removal are some of the most popular ways to get rid off unwanted hair. If you want cheap but long-lasting results, your best bet may be to invest in an epilator. Epilator is a device that removes the hair from the root and creates long-lasting smooth skin in the comfort of your own home. Consistent epilating causes hair to grow back less noticeably and when done correctly it will save time in your grooming routine.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is epilating painful?
There is no way of sugar-coating it. So, yes, there will be some level of discomfort when epilating, depending on your pain threshold. However, the good news is that the more you epilate, the less painful it will be.
Is dry epilation or wet depilation better?
Both ways are equally good, so it’s entirely up to you. However, if you are worried about the pain, it might be more convenient and less painful to epilate on wet skin.
How often should you epilate?
The frequency of epilation depends on multiple factors – how quickly your grows back and the type of epilators used. If you are a newbie, probably once a week is a good time frame to start with. Typically an epilation session can give you hair-free skin for up to 4 weeks.
How long should my hair be before epilating?
Epilators work best when hair is short (less than 5mm). If the hair is too long, your epilator could break off your hair instead of entirely pulling it out. You should shave approximately three days before epilating to give your hair enough time to grow out a little for the best results.
- “INTERNATIONAL REPORT; Israelis Revolutionize Hair Removal Industry” – nytimes.com
- “Is an Epilator the Hair Remover You’ve Been Looking for?” – healthline.com