Coconut oil is mainly used for hair care and cooking purposes. However, several recent studies have revealed that the potent oil has fantastic dermatological benefits. Being a natural ingredient with great anti-aging qualities, it can keep our skin youthful by removing wrinkles from the face, including the eye area. This article will tell you how coconut oil works against wrinkles and how it should be used to get the best possible results.
Why Do We Get Wrinkles?
Our skin experiences many changes as we age, and wrinkles are the most common. In most cases, the fat tissues present under the innermost layer of the skin (dermis) shrink with age, which makes the skin thinner. Moreover, our skin loses its self-repairing capacity, which promotes wrinkles and makes us look older. Apart from the natural aging process, there are also various other causes behind the formation of wrinkles and similar symptoms of premature aging on our faces. Some include excessive sun exposure, heredity, smoking, wrong sleeping habits, lack of water in the body, and so on. (1) (2)
How Does Coconut Oil Work Against Wrinkles?
Wrinkles can appear anywhere on the skin. Coconut oil can be the safest bet for combating such conditions, whether you have wrinkles on your forehead, under your eyes, or around your mouth. Many anti-aging products claim to give us wrinkle-free skin, but they are available on the market. But if you want to do it naturally, nothing can be better than a regular massage with pure coconut oil. Know why coconut oil is a good choice for wrinkle removal:
- Coconut oil works as a natural collagen-booster. Collagen is a specific type of fibrous protein that keeps our tissues connected so that our skin remains young and looks firmer for a long time. As we age, collagen production decreases, creating wrinkles throughout the skin. Coconut oil can facilitate collagen regeneration in our skin, which dries up wrinkles effectively. Consequently, we get clear and smooth skin.
- Coconut oil is an excellent natural source of potent antioxidants. It fights against harmful free radicals and protects our skin from the damage caused by them. Free radicals are responsible for premature aging, resulting in symptoms like fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, and so on. Applying coconut oil can reduce the adverse of such oxidative molecules and make us look young and vibrant.
- Coconut oil is considered one of the best natural moisturizing agents, which helps keep our skin hydrated, thereby preventing the formation of wrinkles and creases. Regularly massaging this oil into the skin can gradually make wrinkles invisible by making the skin cells plumper. Moreover, it keeps the skin soft and supple to prevent further development of wrinkles.
How to Use Coconut Oil For Fighting Wrinkles
Here is how to apply coconut oil to your skin to get rid of wrinkles and other age-related symptoms. Follow the steps religiously to achieve young, flawless skin:
- A squeaky, clean skin absorbs coconut oil better than one loaded with makeup, oil, or dirt. So, start with cleansing your skin correctly. Remove all your makeup with a good-quality makeup remover, and then use a gentle cleanser for cleansing.
- Once you are done with the cleansing part, rinse your skin off with some fresh, cold water. Now, your skin is ready to absorb the moisture provided by coconut oil instantly.
- Clean and wash your hands thoroughly, applying the oil to your skin only with your fingers.
- Now, take some virgin coconut oil (make sure that it is 100% pure and contains at least 40% lauric acid) onto your palm and apply it all over your skin, focusing on the wrinkled areas.
- Massage the oil into the skin gently using your fingertips and following a small circular motion. Continue the massage unless and until the oil gets absorbed by the skin completely.
- It would be best to do this coconut oil wrinkle treatment at night before bed to leave your skin slathered with coconut oil overnight and allow it to go deep into the cells for better results.
- Next morning, splash your skin with lukewarm water to eliminate excess coconut oil. This will keep the right amount of oil in your cells and keep your skin hydrated for the entire day.
- Pat your skin dry with a clean, dry, and soft towel.
- Finally, apply your regular moisturizer or day cream to your skin, and you are ready.
Coconut oil, renowned for hair care and cooking, unveils remarkable dermatological benefits. As skin ages, wrinkles manifest due to reduced collagen and diminished self-repair capacity. Coconut oil, a natural anti-aging agent, combats wrinkles effectively. Acting as a collagen booster, it regenerates the protein, ensuring firmer, youthful skin. Abundant in antioxidants, coconut oil fights free radicals, preventing premature aging. As a superior moisturizer, it hydrates skin, making wrinkles less noticeable. Applying coconut oil nightly yields optimal results, leaving skin smooth and rejuvenated.