Life isn’t perfect, but your hair can be. Whether long or short, its bounce and twirl express individual style and personality. Hence, any situation that makes the hair difficult to manage, dull in appearance, or sheds its fibers to a limp may trigger concern. If you experience such transition, whether suddenly or consistently over time, you may have hair loss, otherwise called hair thinning.
However, there is no need to panic since hair loss is usually reversible. A popular method of revitalizing dull and thin hair is shampoos. This article looks at the best shampoos for restoring thin hair. But first, let’s understand what slender hair means and the possible causes.
What is Thinning Hair?
Thinning hair is a visible appearance of reduced hair volume characterized by minor to moderate hair loss. Everyone loses hair, about 50-100 strands daily, as the hair growth cycle goes through its stages –anagen, catagen, and telogen (1). However, excessive hair shedding may lead to visible thinning and affect self-esteem, mental health, and confidence. Thinning hair is not androgenic alopecia and may not result in general baldness; however, the hair loss is noticeable, especially to you. It is a gradual process, and it is reversible using the best treatment measures (2).
Causes of Thin Hair
Some of the possible reasons for thin hair are –
- Underlying health conditions such as autoimmune diseases.
- Pulling back hair tightly – Throwing your hair into a tight ponytail may cause severe stress and damage strands.
- Old age – You may notice a loss of hair volume, thickness, and bounce as you age.
- Nutrient deficiencies and inadequate dietary intake – Insufficient iron, folic acid, and other vitamins and minerals in hair growth processes may result in hair thinning.
- Excess hair oil – Putting too much hair oil on your thin hair may weigh it down and flatten it further.
- Excess hair treatment – Consistent use of colors, relaxers, and other harsh hair products.
- Birth control pills – If you take birth control pills, you may experience hair loss.
- Over-washing your hair – Daily washing may thin the strands out, making them dry and brittle.
- Heredity and genetics (3).
- Excessive and uncontrolled stress triggers stress hormones that destroy hair growth at the hair follicles.
- Postpartum hair loss – Your hair may thin out because you just had a baby.
- Drastic weight loss – If you lose over 20 pounds quickly, you may experience hair loss.
Thin hair may be treated and revitalized by using various methods, including the use of recommended shampoos. These shampoos function specifically to add volume, thickness, strength, and bounce to your hair.
What to Look For in A Shampoo
- Amino acids
- Milk protein
- Soy protein
- Almond oil
- Olive oil
The ideal shampoo for thin hair offers numerous benefits such as increased hair volume, strength, hair growth, and reduced dandruff.
6 Best Shampoos For Thinning Hair
1. Nioxin Cleanser Shampoo
The Nioxin Cleanser Shampoo will transform your thin hair into thicker, fuller hair with healthy volume. This shampoo is formulated with Nioxin technology and active-renewal technology for fine, thin hair. The Nioxin technology used in production ensures hair resilience and extra smoothing control. At the same time, active renewal technology is performed to remove follicle-clogging sebum and fatty acids from the scalp.
- It contains a fine, concentrated blend of botanicals and humectants.
- It has essential cleansing agents to remove minerals, product buildup, toxins, and pollutants.
- It also clears nutrient pathways at hair follicle sites to ensure an optimum scalp condition.
- It performs without stripping the scalp of essential oils.
- It improves hair thickness, volume, shine, and overall health.
Price – USD 23 / 10.14 fl
2. Pure Biology Premium Reviva Hair Shampoo
This clinically proven procapsid-DHT blocker shampoo functions to thicken and add volume to thinning hair. It provides intense moisture to the scalp and hair strands while stimulating a rapid regrowth of your hair. This shampoo blends active ingredients such as Biotin, keratin, castor oil, coconut oil, vitamin B, vitamin E, saw palmetto, and green tea extracts.
- The keratin-derived amino acid penetrates deep into hair fibers and helps moisturize dry areas to strengthen and repair damaged hair.
- Procapil helps prevent hair loss and reduces poor scalp micro-circulation, follicle aging, and follicle atrophy caused by dihydrotestosterone.
- Coconut oil enriched with natural vitamins and essential acids nourishes the scalp and helps remove sebum buildup to promote hair growth.
- It is non-GMO, cruelty-free, and paraben-free.
Price – USD 31.99 / 240 ml
3. PURA D’OR Original Gold Label Anti-Thinning Biotin Shampoo
This is the ideal therapy shampoo to transform your thinning hair into thicker and fuller. It visibly promotes hair volume and strength, increases thickness, and reduces all forms of hair loss.
- It is fortified with argan oil, nettle extract, pumpkin seed, saw palmetto, red seaweed, black cumin seed oil, and 17+ DHT herbal actives.
- It contains no sulfates.
- It is made with natural preservatives.
- Visible results may be noticed within eight weeks of usage.
Price – USD 29.99 / 16 Oz
4. Biotin Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner for Thinning Hair
This cell-stimulating hair loss treatment will help your fine hair with the desired volume and thickness.
- It contains the perfect blend of rosemary, aloe vera, saw palmetto, coconut, and Biotin to encourage regrowth and prevent further hair loss.
- Biotin works by helping carry nutrients to the scalp and hair follicles while blocking the DHT, a crucial process for hair growth.
- Saw palmetto blocks 5-alpha-reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT, the hormone responsible for hair loss.
- Coconut oil provides your hair and scalp with the ultimate moisture, prevents hair loss, and strengthens thin, brittle hair.
- Rosemary oil strengthens scalp circulation and prevents hair follicles from being starved of blood supply.
- The shampoo is sulfate-free, paraben-free, and formaldehyde-free.
- It contains no harsh chemicals and is safe for use on keratin-treated hair.
Price – USD 39.97 / 16 Oz
5. Keranique Shampoo and Conditioner Set for Hair Growth and Thinning Hair
This Keranique shampoo and conditioner is free from sulfate, has scalp rejuvenating properties, and nourishes hair follicles extensively.
- It retains shine and removes buildup.
- It conditions and volumizes fine, thin hair.
- It improves hair strength.
- It provides anti-breakage protection while adding hair volume.
- It leaves a protective keratin layer along the hair’s cuticle to safeguard against external damage and is gentle enough for use on color-treated hair.
- This Keranique set contains keratin amino complex, panax ginseng root extract, hydrolyzed Ceratonia siliqua seed extract, and Arctium majus root extract.
Price – USD 39.97 / 8 Oz
6. BOTANIC HEARTH Peppermint Oil Shampoo
This shampoo comes with a “Hair Blooming Formula” and has enriching ingredients such as peppermint oil, tea tree, argan, coconut oil, vitamins E & H.
- Loaded with pure peppermint oil, it cleanses and revitalizes the hair and scalp.
- It makes hair look fuller and healthier.
- Free from sulfate & paraben.
- Cruelty-free and not tested on animals.
Price – USD 25.94 / 16 Oz
Several health conditions may result in hair thinning and hair loss. Activities and patterns such as pulling hair back tightly, inadequate dietary intake, excessive and uncontrolled stress, drastic weight loss, etc may trigger loss of hair. Hair loss is usually reversible using various hair care processes. Popular amongst the revitalizing care processes is the use of shampoos. They function specifically to add volume, thickness, strength, and bounce to your hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
My hair is thinning. Can it grow back?
Yes, thinning hair is a reversible condition. However, the cause of the hair loss must be identified and treated first. Afterward, different remedies and treatments are used to revitalize the hair growth and return its volume and thickness.
Can Biotin help stop hair thinning?
Biotin transports nutrients to body cells, including the cells on the scalp. Hence, Biotin may help restore hair growth and stop thinning.
What causes hair thinning?
Various factors cause hair thinning. For example, it may be an underlying illness, insufficient nutrient supply, postpartum loss, stress, trauma, etc.
- “Thinning hair in women: Why it happens and what helps” – health.harvard.edu
- “12 Ways to Stop Hair Thinning” – healthline.com
- “Causes and treatments for thinning hair” – medicalnewstoday.com