Life isn’t perfect but your hair can be. Its bounce and twirl whether long or short is an expression of individual style and personality. Hence, any situation that makes the hair difficult to manage, dull in appearance, or shed its fibers to a limp may trigger concern. If you experience such transition, whether suddenly or consistently over some time, then you may be having hair loss, otherwise referred to as hair thinning.
However, there is no need to panic since hair loss is usually reversible. A popular method of revitalizing dull and thin hair is the use of shampoos. In this article, we take a look at the best shampoos for the revitalization of thin hair. But first, let’s understand what thin hair means and the possible causes.
What is Thinning Hair?
Thinning hair is a visible appearance of reduced hair volume characterized by minor to moderate loss of hair. Everyone loses hair, about 50-100 strands daily, as the hair growth cycle goes through its stages –anagen, catagen, and telogen (1). However, excessive shedding of the hair may lead to visible thinning of hair and may affect self-esteem, mental health, and confidence. Thinning hair is not androgenic alopecia, and may not result in general baldness, however, the hair loss is noticeable especially to you. It is a gradual process and it is reversible using the best treatment measures (2).
Causes of Thin Hair
Some of the possible reasons for thin hair are –
- Underlying health conditions such as autoimmune diseases.
- Pulling back hair tightly – Throwing your hair into a tight ponytail especially when hair is wet may cause serious stress and damage the hair strands.
- Old age – As you get older, you may notice a loss of hair volume, thickness, and bounce.
- Nutrient deficiencies and inadequate dietary intake – Insufficient iron, folic acid, and other vitamins and minerals that function in hair growth processes may result in hair thinning.
- Excess hair oil – Putting too much hair oil on your thin hair may weigh the hair down and flatten it further.
- Excess hair treatment – Consistent use of colors, relaxers, and other harsh hair products.
- Birth control pills – If you are taking birth control pills, you may experience hair loss.
- Over-washing your hair – Washing your hair daily may thin the strands out, making them dry and brittle.
- Heredity and genetics (3).
- Excessive and uncontrolled stress – This triggers the activities of stress hormones which also destroy hair growth at the hair follicles.
- Postpartum hair loss – Your hair may thin out because you just had a baby.
- Drastic weight loss – If you lose over 20 pounds of weight within a short time, you may experience hair loss.
Thin hair may be treated and revitalized by using various methods, including the use of recommended shampoos. These shampoos function specifically to add volume, thickness, strength, and bounce to your hair.
What to Look For in A Shampoo
The ideal shampoo for thin hair offers numerous benefits such as increased hair volume, strength, hair growth, and reduced dandruff.
7 Best Shampoos For Thinning Hair
1. Kiierr DHT Blocking Shampoo for Hair Growth
This revolutionary shampoo from Kiierr comes with a DHT blocking formula. It blocks enzymes responsible for converting testosterone into DHT – A hormone that can lead to the shrinking of hair follicles and shortening of the hair cycle. Kiierr DHT Blocking Shampoo blocks DHT effectively and can help prevent hair loss and thinning. The shampoo is enriched with Vitamin E, Pro-Vitamin B5, Keratin, Jojoba Oil, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extracts, and Collagen Amino Acids.
- Comes with a DHT blocking formula that promotes hair growth.
- Cleanses and improves the overall health of the scalp and hair.
- Boosts new hair growth and maintains hair strength.
- Enriched with Zinc PCA, Green Tea, Jojoba Oil, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extracts, and other powerful ingredients that stimulate hair growth.
- Highly effective for male and female pattern baldness.
Price: USD 34.95 for 1 month supply Buy Now!
2. Nioxin Cleanser Shampoo
The Nioxin Cleanser Shampoo will transform your thin hair into thicker, fuller hair with healthy volume. This shampoo is specially formulated with nioxin technology and active-renewal technology for fine, thin hair. The nioxin technology used in production ensures hair resilience and extra smoothing control. While the active-renewal technology performs to remove follicle-clogging sebum and fatty acids from the scalp.
- It contains a fine concentrated blend of botanicals and humectants.
- It is equipped with essential cleansing agents to remove minerals, product build-up, toxins, and pollutants.
- It also functions to clear nutrient pathways at hair follicle sites to ensure an optimum scalp condition.
- It performs without stripping the scalp of essential oils.
- It improves hair thickness, volume, shine, and overall health.
Price – USD 42 / 33.8 Oz
3. Pure Biology Premium Reviva Hair Shampoo
This clinically proven procapil-DHT blocker shampoo functions to thicken and add volume to thinning hair. It provides intense moisture to the scalp and hair strands while stimulating a rapid regrowth of your hair. This shampoo is a perfect blend of some active ingredients such as biotin, keratin, castor oil, coconut oil, vitamin B, vitamin E, saw palmetto, and green tea extracts.
- The keratin-derived amino acid penetrates deep into hair fibers and helps moisturize dry areas to strengthen and repair damaged hair.
- Procapil helps in hair loss prevention and reduces poor scalp micro-circulation, follicle aging, and follicle atrophy caused by dihydrotestosterone.
- Coconut oil enriched with natural vitamins and essential acids nourishes the scalp and helps remove sebum build-up to promote hair growth.
- It is non-GMO; cruelty-free, and paraben-free.
Price – USD 30.99 / 240 ml
4. PURA D’OR Original Gold Label Anti-Thinning Biotin Shampoo
This is the ideal therapy shampoo to transform your thinning hair into thicker and fuller hair. It visibly promotes hair volume and strength, increases thickness, and reduces all forms of hair loss.
- It is fortified with argan oil, nettle extract, pumpkin seed, saw palmetto, red seaweed, black cumin seed oil, and 17+ DHT herbal actives.
- It contains no sulfates.
- Made with natural preservatives.
- Visible results may be noticed within 8 weeks of usage.
Price – USD 29.99 / 16 Oz
5. Biotin Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner for Thinning Hair
This cell-stimulating hair loss treatment will help provide your fine hair with the desired volume and thickness.
- It contains the perfect blend of rosemary, aloe vera, saw palmetto, coconut, and biotin that function to encourage regrowth and prevent further hair loss.
- Biotin works by helping carry nutrients to the scalp and hair follicles while blocking the DHT, a crucial process for hair growth.
- Saw palmetto functions by blocking 5-alpha-reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT, the hormone responsible for hair loss.
- Coconut oil provides your hair and scalp with the ultimate moisture, prevents hair loss, and strengthens thin brittle hair.
- Rosemary oil functions by strengthening scalp circulation and preventing hair follicles from being starved of blood supply.
- The shampoo is sulfate-free, paraben-free, and formaldehyde-free.
- It contains no harsh chemicals and is safe for use on keratin-treated hair.
Price – USD 29.95 / 8 Oz
6. Keranique Shampoo and Conditioner Set for Hair Growth and Thinning Hair
This Keranique shampoo and conditioner is free from sulfate and comes with scalp rejuvenating properties and nourishes the hair follicles extensively.
- It retains shine and removes build-up.
- It conditions and volumizes fine, thin hair.
- It improves hair strength.
- It provides anti-breakage protection while adding hair volume.
- It leaves a protective keratin layer along the hair’s cuticle to safeguard against external damage and is gentle enough for use on color-treated hair.
- This Keranique set contains keratin amino complex, panax ginseng root extract, hydrolyzed ceratonia siliqua seed extract, and arctium majus root extract.
Price – USD 39.97 / 8 Oz
7. BOTANIC HEARTH Peppermint Oil Shampoo
This shampoo comes with a “Hair Blooming Formula” and is loaded with enriching ingredients such as peppermint oil, tea tree, argan, and coconut oil, vitamin E & H.
- Loaded with pure peppermint oil, cleanses and revitalizes the hair and scalp.
- Makes hair look fuller and healthier.
- Free from sulfate & paraben.
- Cruelty-free and not tested on animals.
Price – USD 26.98 / 16 Oz
Several health conditions may result in hair thinning and hair loss. Activities and patterns such as pulling hair back tightly, inadequate dietary intake, excessive and uncontrolled stress, drastic weight loss, etc may trigger loss of hair. Hair loss is usually reversible using various hair care processes. Popular amongst the revitalizing care processes is the use of shampoos. They function specifically to add volume, thickness, strength, and bounce to your hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
My hair is thinning. Can it grow back?
Yes, thinning hair is a reversible condition. However, the cause of the hair loss must be identified and treated first. Afterward, different remedies and treatments are used to revitalize the hair growth and return its volume and thickness.
Can Biotin help stop hair thinning?
Biotin functions in the transportation of nutrients to body cells, and this includes the cells on the scalp. Hence, biotin may help restore hair growth and stop thinning.
What causes hair thinning?
Various factors cause hair thinning. It may be an underlying illness, insufficient nutrient supply, postpartum loss, stress, trauma, etc.
- “Thinning hair in women: Why it happens and what helps” – health.harvard.edu
- “12 Ways to Stop Hair Thinning” – healthline.com
- “Causes and treatments for thinning hair” – medicalnewstoday.com