Ever heard of an oil that can reduce acne and its inflammation instead of aggregating the condition? Well, castor oil can actually do it. It can cleanse the skin amazingly by taking all dirt, dust, extra sebum, dead cells, bacteria, etc. out from it, which puts a stop to the clogging of pores as well the formation of acne.
How to Use Castor Oil for Treating Acne?
Your acne will vanish completely as fast as within 6 weeks, if treated with castor oil the right way. But how should it actually be used for this purpose? Let us tell you the proper way of using castor oil for reducing the production of acne-causing sebum, curing inflammation related to it and keeping the acne-prone skin sufficiently moisturized.
Also Read – How You Can Use Turmeric for Acne Here
Steam Method / Regular Method:
Steam method is the most common as well as highly popular method of using castor oil for the treatment of acne. The procedure is extremely easy and as the name suggests, it involves treating the acne-affected areas of the skin with steaming water. Here are the steps:
- Take enough water in a large saucepan and place it over heat. Bring it to a boil as you are going to treat your face with steaming hot water in the subsequent stages.
- Meanwhile, get a large clean towel. Also, keep two unsoiled washcloths handy.
- Once the water starts boiling, remove the saucepan from the heat and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Now, lean over the steaming hot water of the saucepan and cover your entire head with the towel. This technique will actually create a ‘makeshift tent’ for concentrating the steam on the facial skin, which is essential for opening the pores up and allowing the castor oil to penetrate the surface of the skin.
- Once your skin is ready for the castor oil treatment, dampen one washcloth with tepid water and pour a little oil onto it. Remember, only a dime-sized amount will do.
- Now, start rubbing the oil into your facial skin focusing on the acne-sensitive areas. Follow small circular motion for the massage and be as gentle as possible. Otherwise, your skin might get damaged.
- Let the oil sit so that your skin can make the most of it. It is recommended that you keep it on your skin overnight. But if it is not possible, simply wait for 1-2 hours.
- In the morning, moisten another washcloth with some tepid water and wipe the excess oil away from your skin with it. Again, be very gentle as you are working on your acne-prone, sensitive skin.
- Wash off your face with fresh cold water so that the open pores get closed and your skin returns to the normal state.
- Pat your face dry with a clean dry towel.
- Finally, moisturize your clean face with a few drops of castor oil.
Follow this castor oil acne treatment at least twice every week to get the best possible result.
Also Read – The Great Garlic Debate: Can It Cure Your Acne? Here
Deep Cleansing Method:
Deep cleansing has immense positive effects on our skin and it doing it with castor oil is known to be highly effective for acne treatment. It basically helps the oil go deep into the skin and moisturize it to the optimum level, which eventually result into an acne-free skin. Check out the steps below:
- Being quite thick in nature, castor oil should be diluted with another oil of relatively thinner consistency for carrying out the deep cleansing method. So, start with preparing the perfect oil blend that will suit your skin type and give you the best outcomes. Both extra virgin coconut oil and sunflower seed oil will serve the purpose of facilitating the skin penetration of castor oil. However, sunflower seed oil is used in most of the cases. The right ratio of castor oil to sunflower seed oil should be 3:7 for oily skin, 1:9 for dry skin and 2:8 for normal or combination skin.
- Prepare a source of running hot water and also keep a clean washcloth handy.
- Pour a generous amount of oil blend onto your palm. Rub it in between your palms for a few minutes so that the mixture gets warmed up.
- Now, massage the warm oil blend into your skin by moving your palms across your facial skin. Make sure that you do not rub your skin vigorously. Rather, be slow and firm while focusing on the acne-affected parts.
- Continue the massage for 5 to 7 minutes until all your skin pores get saturated with the oil blend.
- Now, hold the washcloth under running hot water and moisten it properly.
- Spread the wet washcloth over your face, press it slightly against your skin with your fingers and then, let it sit for there until the warmth goes away.
- Once the washcloth cools down completely, wipe your face with it to remove excess oil.
- Again, rinse the washcloth in running hot water and follow previous two steps.
- Repeat steps 6 to 9 for at least thrice and finally, wipe your face thoroughly with the washcloth.
Apart from these two methods, soap bars containing castor oil can also be used for treating acne.