You must have already heard a lot about baking soda shampoo for hair. The fact that it can combat two major issues like dandruff and hair loss successfully has also amazed you. But the chance is big that you have never ever thought of giving it a try assuming that it is not going to work on your locks or they will get destroyed in no time. Relax! This common kitchen ingredient is a safe and effective alternative to your regular commercial shampoo, especially if you are trying to prevent dandruff and hair fall desperately.
Why to Ditch Your Regular Shampoo?
Now the question is, why should one replace her regular shampoo with a simple kitchen ingredient like baking soda? What is so bad about those colorful attractive bottles? Well, they are loaded with extremely damaging chemical compounds and most of them are known to be carcinogenic. These include:
- Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate
Besides, regular shampoo formula may also contain as much as 4000 distinct chemical components under the label of ‘fragrance’, which are potentially dangerous for our tresses. In fact, all these can aggravate the conditions of hair loss and dandruff drastically.
How Does Baking Soda Work?
Before knowing various baking soda shampoo options to fight against hair fall and dandruff, it is important to know how the inexpensive ingredient actually works:
- It can absorb excess oil from your scalp and make it absolutely grease-free. It basically works as a dry shampoo and keeps the scalp free of oil and grime.
- As the scalp becomes unsoiled with baking soda shampoo, the locks also turn squeaky clean.
- While cleansing the scalp, it also sucks out those white flakes i.e. dandruff completely.
- It does not rip the natural moisture off our scalp and hair (unless and until you use it in excessive amount). So, you do not develop dandruff any more. Also, hair remains soft and manageable always.
- As the high pH of baking soda clarifies your scalp from dandruff and all sorts of chemicals (precipitated from hair styling products), you experience less or even zero itchiness, which eventually reduces hair fall to a huge extent.
Also Read – How to Use Baking Soda to Cure Dandruff and Promote Hair Growth Here
Different Types of Baking Soda Shampoo
When it comes to driving away dandruff and stopping hair loss, baking soda can be used in a number of ways. We tell you three most common methods to include baking soda in your hair care routine:
This is the simplest method of using baking soda on your locks and getting rid of dandruff as well as excessive hair fall.
- Baking soda – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Lukewarm water – a cup
- Put the baking soda in the cup of lukewarm water.
- Keep stirring until a lump-free mixture is formed.
- Apply it carefully all over your scalp and massage with your fingertips gently.
- Let it sit for next couple of minutes.
- Rinse off with fresh cold water.
Washing hair with the mixture of baking soda and a mild herbal shampoo can be very effective in curing dandruff and reducing hair fall.
- Baking soda – (1/2) tablespoon
- Herbal shampoo – pea-sized amount
- Pick any good herbal shampoo and pour a pea-sized amount of it onto your palm.
- Add baking soda to it.
- Mix well with your fingers.
- Apply the mixture to your hair as regular shampoo.
- Rinse well with plain water.
The best way to wash your hair with baking soda is to balance its pH with an apple cider vinegar rinse afterwards.
- Baking soda – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) – 4 to 5 drops
- Water – 1 mug
- Take a cup of water and add baking soda to it.
- Stir well to prepare a lump-free concoction.
- Rub your scalp carefully with it. Be gentle throughout the process.
- After 2-3 minutes, wash off with plain water.
- Now, add apple cider vinegar to rest of water in the mug.
- Blend well.
- Rinse your washed hair with it.
Also Read – How Baking Soda Can Help You Get Dandruff-Free Hair Here
A Few Important Things to Remember….
- Being an alkaline product, baking soda can make your hair look rough and frizzy after the very first wash. But you should not worry about it as your hair will appear way much healthier than earlier only after a few more washes.
- You can apply baking soda shampoo on your hair 2-3 times a week. For this, prepare the baking soda-water mixture in large batches and store in bottles.
- Do not apply baking-soda-water mixture through the length of your hair. It will make the ends of your hair super dry.
- Baking soda shampoo is suitable for color-treated tresses to.
- The result of baking soda rinse might not be exactly same for all. If you find that the condition of your hair is going worse than ever, sop using it immediately.
Hope the article helps you take great care of your hair with baking soda shampoo.
Also Read – Baking Soda – The Best Natural Way To Remove Color From Your Hair