When the market is flooded with a wide variety of face washes, it becomes quite a task to choose the best one according to the type and requirements of the skin. You should know whether a creamy face wash with rich foam is a good choice for you or a gel-based face wash with tiny exfoliating beads is what your skin needs. If you are not sure about these, you will end up damaging your skin in no time. Well, let us help you out. Here, we have listed the 12 best face washes in India that you can try without worry to get clean and bright skin.
Who Should Use a Face Wash?
A good skincare regimen starts with a good practice of cleansing, and a face wash is, indeed, an integral part of it. No matter what the skin type is, cleansing the face with a face wash is imperative to every individual. As there is no one-size-fits-all for face washes, different types of products are available in the market and you must pick the right one depending on the type of your skin. But you cannot skip it completely.
If you choose the right kind of face wash based on your skin type, it will not harm your skin. However, if you resort to excessive cleansing, it might take away the moisture from the skin, which will result in excess oil production, acne, and other skin ailments.
Face Wash vs. Facial Foam
Both face wash and foaming facial cleansers are skin cleansing products. However, a face wash is a milder alternative to soap while a facial foam is even gentler than a face wash. If you have normal to oily skin, a face wash can help you make it squeaky clean and refreshed. Conversely, if your skin is on the drier side, a foaming facial cleanser will be the best choice for you as it will keep your skin hydrated and moisturized. The foaming action of a facial foam is also helpful in cleaning out deep-seated debris and impurities from the skin (1).
Face Washes for Different Skin Types
Before choosing your face wash, consider your skin type, any concerns like acne, pimple, pigmentation, dryness, dullness, and of course your budget. Here is a guideline for you to follow:
- Dry Skin – Look for a hydrating and moisturizing formula with natural oils, glycerin, and aloe vera. Prefer a face wash which is hypoallergenic and free from fragrance and alcohol.
- Oily Skin – Go for a face wash with clay, aloe vera, tea tree oil, glycolic acid, and hyaluronic acid that will cleanse your pores and reduce oil production in your skin. Avoid face washes with alcohol as it can further deteriorate your skin condition.
- Sensitive or Combination Skin – If you have sensitive or combination skin, choose an organic product that is hypoallergenic and non-irritating (fragrance-free and alcohol-free). It should also be very gentle on the skin.
- Normal Skin – You can pick any deep-cleansing face wash without getting too choosy. Look for a mild face wash which is good enough to remove dirt and excess oils and at the same time can moisturize your skin to make it soft and supple.
Your skin should feel supple and hydrated each time after using the face wash. If it feels tighter after washing, it means you are either using the wrong face wash or dehydrating it by over-washing. In such cases, use a good moisturizer right after washing the face.
12 Best Face Washes in India for Clean and Healthy Skin
Given below is the list of 12 best face washes in India curated by our experts for clean, healthy, and beautiful skin:
Editor’s Choice: Satthwa Neem & Turmeric Foaming Face Wash
Made from 100% organic ingredients, Satthwa’s Neem & Turmeric Foaming Face Wash can get you clear and flawless skin without leaving it dry or dull. You can try it anytime irrespective of your skin type.
- 100% organic product
- Has the goodness of neem seed oil, peppermint oil, geranium oil, karanja oil, turmeric, and aloe vera extract
- Does not dry out the skin
- Scrubs away dead skin cells effectively
- Gives clean, blemish-free, youthful skin
- Turns it smoother and brighter
- Controls acne by killing the bacteria
- Prevents pimples, whiteheads, and blackheads
- Soothes any inflammation on the skin surface
- Makes the skin look and smell fresh naturally
- Does not contain harmful chemicals
- Suitable for all types of skin
Price: Rs. 395 for 125 ml. Buy Now!
1. Gentle Beast Activated Charcoal Face Wash
The premium Gentle Beast Activated Charcoal Face Wash brings in really good results for literally every skin type. It is a unisex face wash that cleanses and moisturizes the skin while giving it a beautiful glow instantly.
- A complete package for the skin with all-natural ingredients
- Enriched with activated charcoal, aloe vera, neem, green tea, and cucumber
- Removes bacteria and toxins from the skin through deep cleansing
- Prevents acne, blackheads, etc. by controlling oil secretion
- Heals marks and blemishes left by acne faster
- Moisturizes and smoothens the skin
- Provides instant and long-lasting glow
- Protects the skin from tanning
- Reduces itching and irritation
- Free from SLS, paraben, and other harmful surfactants
- Suits all skin types in both women and men
Price: Rs. 399 for 100 ml.
2. Nivea Pure Effect Total Face CleanUp
- Offers 5 benefits of pure and clear skin in just 5 minutes
- Works as ‘wash’, ‘scrub”, ‘pack‘, ‘oil remover’, and ‘spot reducer‘
- Enriched with active magnolia extracts
- Ideal for normal to oily skin
- Cleanses the skin deeply
- Unclogs skin pores
- Removes blackheads
- Reduces spots
- Fights skin irritation and allergies
- Refines the appearance of the skin
Price: Rs. 120 for 100 ml.
3. Dove Deep Pure Facial Cleanser
- Comes enriched with the unique Nutrium Moisture Beauty Serum, stearic acid, and glycerol aqueous solution
- Made of millions of gentle micro-puffs (up to 10X smaller than regular microbeads)
- Eliminates dirt, excess sebum, and buildups from deep inside pores
- Balances the skin to control sebum production
- Moisturizes and nourishes the skin intensely
- Leaves the skin soft, smooth, and mattified
- Gives a clearer complexion with a healthy glow
- Has a fresh, floral fragrance
- Produces super-fine, dense lather
- Perfect for daily use
- Suits combination and oily skin
Price: Rs. 175 for 50 gm.
Read Also – Best Face Washes for Blackheads – Top 7 Picks
4. Himalaya Herbals Purifying Neem Face Wash
If you have acne and pimples, the Himalaya Herbals Purifying Neem Face Wash will be an amazing choice for you. It makes the skin look flawless with its antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- A soap-free, herbal formulation
- Clinically proven for pimple-free, healthy skin
- Combines the goodness of neem and turmeric
- Cleanses the skin from within
- Does not cause dryness
- Combats bacterial infections
- Prevents the recurrence of breakouts
- Heals and soothes the skin
- Improves the elasticity of the skin
- Evens out the skin tone
- Suits all skin types
Price: Rs. 120 for 100 ml.
5. The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash
The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash is suitable for oily, blemished, or acne-prone skin. Use it daily to get visibly clearer skin that is purified, hydrated, and refreshed.
- Infused with potent organic tea tree essential oil (collected from the foothills of Mount Kenya)
- Deeply cleanses blemished skin
- Makes it free from excess oil and shine
- Unclogs skin pores of all the impurities
- Fights against skin infections
- Offers moisture-balancing effects
- Keeps the skin soft and hydrated
- Produces cooling lather
- Makes the skin appear visibly clearer
- Leaves it feeling refreshed and purified
- Perfect for daily use
Price: Rs. 695 for 250 ml.
Read Also – Best Lakme Face Washes
6. Pond’s Pure White Deep Cleansing Facial Foam
Uncover your natural radiance with the Pond’s Pure White Deep Cleansing Facial Foam. It offers much more than just regular ‘cleanliness’ with its exclusive formulation powered by activated charcoal.
- A gentle product for daily facial cleansing
- Formulated with activated charcoal, vitamin B3, and glycerin
- Removes the layer of dead skin cells
- Gets absorbed into the skin easily
- Penetrates deep into the cells
- Draws impurities and pollution particles out of the pores
- Gives flawless skin sans breakouts and blemishes
- Makes the skin brighter and naturally glowing
- Nourishes the skin well instead of leaving it dry
- Suitable for all skin types
Price: Rs. 219 for 100 gm.
Read Also – Best Acne Face Washes in India – Top 7 Picks
7. Lakme Absolute Perfect Radiance Skin Lightening Facial Foam
The Lakme Absolute Perfect Radiance Skin Lightening Facial Foam has surpassed its older version in terms of luxury and efficacy. The exquisite formula gives a polished and illuminated look over time.
- An advanced skin-lightening liquid cleanser
- Transforms into a light rich foam
- Enriched with precious microcrystals
- Cleanses the facial skin gently yet thoroughly
- Washes away dirt, impurities, and pollution particles
- Helps in removing stubborn, long-wear makeup effectively
- Ensures the maximum absorption of skincare products
- Provides a totally polished and fair look
- Leaves a high-resolution crystal radiance
Price: Rs. 530 for 130 ml.
8. Lotus Herbals Whiteglow 3-In-1 Deep Cleansing Skin Whitening Facial Foam
The Lotus Herbals Whiteglow 3-In-1 Deep Cleansing Skin Whitening Facial Foam is a chemical-free, 100% herbal product. It deep-cleanses the skin, lightens its tones, and helps reflect its natural glow.
- A chemical-free, 100% natural product
- Packed with the goodness of aloe vera gel, milk enzymes, and minerals
- Cleanses and exfoliates the skin thoroughly
- Hydrates and nourishes the skin deeply
- Reduces the size of pores
- Maintain the skin’s pH balance
- Protects the skin from UV rays and sun damage
- Blocks excessive melanin production
- Soothes inflamed skin
- Keeps acne, breakouts, and blemishes away
- Relieves suntan and hyperpigmentation
- Promises a clean, radiant, and absolutely flawless look
- For all types of skin
Price: Rs. 225 for 100 gm.
9. Mamaearth Ubtan Face Wash
Mamaearth is Asia’s first MadeSafe certified brand and its Ubtan Face Wash takes the best care of the skin in a gentle manner. It not only cleanses the skin but also leaves it soft, smooth, and naturally glowing.
- Enriched with turmeric, saffron, licorice extract, carrot oil, and walnut beads
- Cleanses the skin gently
- Sloughs off dead cells effectively
- Protects the skin from free radical damage
- Lightens the skin tone
- Repairs and heals sun damage
- Removes tan spots from the skin
- Leaves it soft, smooth, and naturally glowing
- Hypoallergenic, pH-balanced, and dermatologically-tested product
- Free from toxins (parabens, SLS, SLES, sulfates, phthalates, mineral oils, petroleum, synthetic colors, artificial fragrances)
- Suitable for all skin types
Price: Rs. 249 for 100 ml.
10. Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser
The Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser is a highly appreciated cleanser available worldwide. It removes dead cells that can dry and roughen your complexion while making the skin look fresh and healthy.
- An oil-free and alcohol-free formulation
- Contains beta hydroxy that penetrates deep into the pores
- Cleanses thoroughly by dissolving all dirt, oil, and makeup
- Does not leave any pore-clogging residue
- Eliminates dead cells from the uppermost layer of the skin
- Improves the overall look and feel of the skin
- Leaves it fresh, clean, and soft
- Non-comedogenic and dermatologist-tested
- Suits normal to oily skin
Price: Rs. 440 for 200 ml.
11. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
The award-winning, classic, and best-seller Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is one of the favorite choices of millions of Indians. It was formulated with sensitive skin in mind and is ideal for everyday cleansing.
- Mild, soap-free, and non-drying formula
- Gentle enough for the delicate skin of a baby
- Cleanses the skin thoroughly
- Does not strip it of its natural protective oils or emollients
- Moisturizes without leaving a pore-clogging residue
- Soothes and softens the skin
- Does not contain artificial fragrance
- Clinically tested hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic
- Recommended by dermatologists
- Suits all skin types
- Ideal for dry and sensitive skin
- Can be used on both face and body
Price: Rs. 280 for 125 ml.
Finding the perfect face wash for your skin is a matter of trial and error. Always pick the smallest of the pack sizes to do a trial on how your skin responds to it.
Dos and Don’ts of Face Wash Usage
Though using a face wash is simple enough, you should still keep the following rules of cleansing in mind:
- Always start by washing both of your hands thoroughly before touching your face.
- A dime-sized amount of face wash is sufficient for each use.
- Avoid too hot or too cold water for cleansing your delicate facial skin.
- Be as gentle as possible while washing your face by applying small circular motions with your fingertips.
- Make sure that you pat your skin dry gently rather than rubbing it while drying.
- Apply the right dose of moisturizer when your face is still damp but not dripping wet.
Cleansing is an integral and one of the most crucial parts of any beauty regime. Using a face wash to cleanse your delicate facial skin is a must to get rid of dirt and impurities. While you may be overwhelmed to find tons of options available in the market, select the right face wash depending on your skin type, specific requirements, and budget. Also, make sure that you follow all the dos and don’ts of facial cleansing.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I Replace a Face Wash with a Soap?
Being harsh and full of harmful chemicals, soaps are not recommended to use for cleansing the delicate facial skin. Always use a mild natural face wash to take the great care of your skin. However, some super-hydrating soaps, which are specifically designed for dry skin, can replace your face wash if needed.
How Often Should a Face Wash Be Used?
Do not wash your face more than twice a day (morning and night) with a face wash. No matter how gentle the product is, overuse of it can rip your skin of its natural oils and leave it dry, patchy, and irritated.
How to Choose a Good Daily Face Wash?
Your daily face wash should be enriched with moisturizing and nourishing natural ingredients. Look for neem, aloe vera, milk, turmeric, etc. to make a wise choice.
How to Choose a Face Wash for Oily, Acne-Prone Skin?
Look for activated charcoal as the ingredient of your face wash, Being extremely powerful in eliminating excess oil and deep-seated debris, it can make your oily, acne-prone skin clean and breakout-free.
- “Cleanser vs. Face Wash – What is The Difference?“, AskDerm.com