Aging is a natural process experienced by every human being. As the internal processes of our body slow down with age, we develop undesirable signs – from worry lines to pigmentation. But sometimes you may appear older than your original age as the signs appear earlier than expected. This is called premature aging. While aging cannot be stopped, premature aging can be delayed or sometimes even reversed without any side effects simply by using herbal anti-aging creams. Take a look through the list of the 10 best herbal anti-aging creams available in India and stay youthful and radiant for long.
Signs of Premature Aging
If you experience any of the following before turning 35, consider them as the signs of premature aging:
- Age Spots: These flat, hyperpigmented spots are also known as sunspots or liver spots. They usually develop on the skin of the face, forearms, and hands upon many years of frequent and prolonged sun exposure.
- Fine Lines and Wrinkles: As the production of collagen gets reduced in our skin, it loses its ability to stay plump and bounce back. This interferes with the natural shape of the skin and causes visible fine lines and even wrinkles. In fact, dehydration also results in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the skin.
- Sagging: With less amount of collagen in the skin, the skin may sag very easily. Sagging mostly happens in parts of the skin where the muscles are used over and over again.
- Hyperpigmentation: You may also develop hyperpigmented patches on different parts of your chest. Usually, these are caused by sun damage, eczema, and other similar factors that damage the melanocytes in the skin.
- Dryness or Itchiness: As you get older, your skin becomes thinner and drier. It also starts flaking sometimes. This condition is called xerosis cutis or dry and itchy skin. (1)
Premature aging also kills the stem cells in our hair follicles, which prevents the growth of new hair and causes hair loss.Gaunt hands are another sign of premature aging in which the hands look veiny and wrinkled.
Causes of Premature Aging
Here are the factors that can make your skin prone to premature aging:
- UV damage from frequent sun exposure and tanning
- Oxidative stress resulted from smoking
- A diet high in refined carbohydrates and sugar (2)
- Dehydration caused by alcohol consumption
- Too much intake of caffeine
- Poor sleep quality (3)
- Hormonal imbalance and inflammation triggered by an extremely stressful lifestyle (4)
- Environmental pollution (5)
- Excessive exposure to the blue light emitted by electronic devices
- Rare to rarer genetic conditions called progeria, which includes Werner syndrome (attacks 1 in 1 million people), Hutchinson-Gilford syndrome (attacks 1 in 8 million babies), etc. (6)
Why Use Herbal Anti-Aging Creams?
Anti-aging creams are known to be the best topical solution for reversing signs of aging. Good formulations of these creams can make your skin appear less wrinkled and more full or lifted. But commercial anti-aging creams contain toxic chemical compounds, which cause serious harm to our skin as well as our health. Their herbal counterparts are, however, safer and more effective. They, typically, contain natural ingredients like green tea, aloe vera, almond, vitamin A, vitamin C, retinoids, and several potent antioxidants (7). These not only prevent wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots from appearing prematurely but also give the skin cells a healthy and youthful boost. Herbal anti-aging creams are also quite affordable and you can even make them yourself at home. Hence, it is always good to choose herbal anti-aging creams over synthetic ones.
10 Best Herbal Anti-Aging Creams Available in India
We have put together the list of 10 best herbal anti-aging creams available in India that you should give a try:
1. Himalaya Herbals Anti-Wrinkle Cream
Fight against all signs of aging and get perfect younger-looking skin with the Himalaya Herbals Anti-Wrinkle Cream. The product penetrates deep into the skin, nourishes it efficiently, and gives it a supple and toned look all day long.
- Infused with grapes, aloe vera, lemon, sandalwood, tomato, and red poppy
- Reduces and delays wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots
- Moisturizes nourishes, and tones up facial skin
- Keeps the skin hydrated all day long
- Protects it from sun damage
- Soothes and relaxes the skin
- Free from parabens and mineral oils
- Non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic, and dermatologically-tested
Price: Rs. 250 for 50 gm.
2. Lotus Herbals AlmondYouth Almond Anti-Wrinkle Creme
The Lotus Herbals AlmondYouth Anti-Wrinkle Creme reduces wrinkles and aging lines seamlessly within a few days of usage. So, forget dry, damaged, and older-looking skin and enjoy a glowing, soft look.
- Targets signs of aging caused by chlorine water, atmospheric pollution, and ill-health
- A rich formulation containing lemon peel extract, almond oil, and apricot kernel oil
- Protects from wrinkles in just 2 weeks
- Protects from free radical damage
- Nourishes the skin inside out
- Moisturizes and softens the skin
- Tightens skin pores
- Preserves elasticity of the skin
- Brings out clear, fresh, younger-looking skin
- Adds a radiant glow to it
- Suitable for all skin type
Price: Rs. 455 for 50 gm.
3. Kaya White Resilience Antox Vit-C Formula+
Kaya White Resilience Antox Vit-C Formula+ is another handy anti-aging delight to try out. Enriched with natural goodness, it penetrates deep into the skin easily and stops the development of wrinkles, blemishes, and dark spots.
- Vitamin C-based anti-aging and brightening formulation
- Researched and developed by dermatologists
- A non-oily and easily absorbing anti-oxidant gel
- Counteracts free radicals and replenishes the skin
- Delays appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and dark spots
- Protects the skin from environmental damage
- Restores the brighter and youthful appearance
- Makes the skin softer, smoother, firmer, and even-toned
- Suits all skin types including the sensitive one
Price: Rs. 1,840 for 30 ml.
4. Shahnaz Husain Beauty Balm Plus Anti-Wrinkle Cream
The new improved version of Shahnaz Husain Beauty Balm Plus Anti-Wrinkle Cream is a luxurious ayurvedic age-defying cream that works wonders on all skin types. It ensures hydration and elasticity that keeps the skin smooth, glowing, and rejuvenated for long.
- A luxurious age-control ayurvedic formulation
- Expertly blended with botanical oils and extracts including rosewater, sweet almond oil, olive oil, carrot seed extract, jojoba seed oil, grapeseed extract, and vitamin E
- Reduces the visible signs of aging
- Moisturizes and strengthens the skin optimally
- Nourishes and rejuvenates it
- Leaves the skin soft, smooth, and radiant
- Ideal for dry and mature skin
Price: Rs. 520 for 40 gm.
5. Khadi Natural Herbal Saffron & Papaya Anti-Wrinkle Cream
Khadi Natural Herbal Saffron & Papaya Anti-Wrinkle Cream offers the goodness of nature that combats signs of aging effortlessly. The balanced blend of papaya and saffron in it reduces dark patches, wrinkles, and fine lines.
- Comprises saffron, papaya, turmeric, sunflower oil, olive oil, beeswax, kokum butter, shea butter, wheat germ oil, grapeseed oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, carrot seed oil, aloe vera, licorice, and vegetable glycerin
- Minimizes fine lines and wrinkles
- Removes dark spots and age spots
- Firms up the skin by keeping oxidative stress away
- Protects it from sun damage
- Moisturizes and nourishes the skin intensely
- Restores the radiant appearance of the skin
- Suitable for all types of skin
Price: Rs. 350 for 50 gm.
6. Jovees Premium Advanced Anti-Ageing Serum
Jovees can help you get a glowing and youthful look easily with its Premium Advanced Anti-Ageing Serum. It is formulated with advanced technology that provides the skin with defensive power to fight against signs of aging.
- The ultimate treatment for aging skin
- Combines argan kernel oil, cherry blossom flower, wheat germ oil, aloe vera gel, hibiscus seed protein, rice bran extract, pomegranate extract, broccoli seed extract, and spinach leaf extract
- Enhances the essential multi-defensive power of the skin
- Reduces visible signs of aging caused by stress and environmental factors
- Mitigates the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- Minimizes dullness and tightens up the skin
- Paraben-free, alcohol-free, and cruelty-free formula
Price: Rs. 455 for 50 ml.
7. Forest Essentials Advanced Date & Litchi Eternal Youth Formula
Prepared according to the Vedic Shastras, the Forest Essentials Advanced Date & Litchi Eternal Youth Formula provides a comprehensive skincare solution along with anti-aging effects. The Ancient formulation from the early 17th century uses the most effective and precious ayurvedic ingredients.
- Awarded as the ‘Best Night Cream’ by Harper’s Bazaar
- Certified 100% natural and inspired by Ayurveda recipes by the ministry of AYUSH
- Prime ingredients include fermented date pulp, fermented litchi juice, cold-pressed sweet almond oil, and fenugreek seeds
- Prevents early signs of aging and diminishes fine lines
- Tones and firms the skin by improving elasticity
- Deeply moisturizes and rejuvenates the skin
- Soothes inflammation and reduces scarring
- Gives the skin a satin-smooth sheen
- Best for normal to dry skin
Price: Rs. 4,200 for 50 gm.
Read Also – 9 Anti-Aging Benefits of Oregano Oil
8. VLCC Natural Sciences Anti-Ageing Almond & Olive Hydrating Night Cream
The VLCC Natural Sciences Anti-Ageing Almond & Olive Hydrating Night Cream is a unique age-defying product that restores the youthfulness of the skin overnight while reducing fine lines and pigmentation.
- A unique formulation containing almond oil and olive oil
- Stimulates collagen synthesis
- Offers faster cellular regeneration
- Nourishes and softens dry and tired skin
- Aids in the removal of wrinkles
- Tones and tightens it up
- Maintain youthful skin for a longer period
- Suitable for all skin types
Price: Rs 450 for 50 gm.
9. WOW Skin Science Retinol Face Cream
Discover the secret to bright and beautiful skin with the emollient-rich and nourishing WOW Skin Science Retinol Face Cream. It not only makes the skin supple, smooth, and soft but also restores its dewy youthfulness.
- Enriched with retinyl palmitate, sweet almond oil, Moroccan argan oil, jojoba oil, aloe vera, shea butter, cocoa butter, vitamin A, pro-vitamin B5, vitamin C, vitamin E, hyaluronic acid, lavender essential oil, and vegetable glycerin
- Nourishing and repairing formula
- Exfoliates the skin to reveal fresher, younger-looking skin
- Supports the cell renewal process
- Hydrates, firms, and restores tired, lifeless, and aging skin
- Fades away wrinkles, pigmentation, and acne scars
- Prevents moisture loss from the skin and improves its texture
- Makes the skin soft, supple, and smooth
- Protects the skin against UV damage
- Brightens up the complexion
- Can be used for all skin types
- No parabens, sulfates, color, mineral oil, or synthetic fragrance
- Comes in a contamination-free, airless jar to ensure the maximum hygiene and efficacy
Price: Rs. 599 for 50 ml.
10. St.Botanica Pure Radiance Anti Aging & Brightening Cream
The St.Botanica Pure Radiance Anti Aging & Brightening Cream works wonder by cleansing, hydrating, firming, strengthening, and revitalizing the mature skin cells. It also makes the skin smoother and brighter.
- Blended with Moroccan argan oil, sweet almond oil, green tea, aloe vera, ashwagandha, yellow nightshade, giant potato, oatmeal, orange blossom, vitamin B3, vitamin C, vitamin E, hyaluronic acid, matrixyl 3000, retinol, and coenzyme Q10
- Makes the skin clear, smooth, and bright
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and stubborn wrinkles
- Repairs and regenerates skin cells
- Provides dry and mature skin with deep hydration
- Fights against photodamage with SPF 25 PA+++
- Improves the overall health of the skin
- Whitens and brightens the complexion
- Soothes highly sensitive, itchy, and inflamed skin
- Suits all types of skin
- Contains no mineral oils, parabens, phthalates, and sulfates
Price: Rs. 1,499 for 50 gm.
While applying an anti-aging cream to your face and neck, always take only a pea-sized amount of the product and massage gently with your fingers by following an upward stroking motion. Repeat it twice every day – in the morning and at night. Also, use it only after cleansing and toning your skin thoroughly.
How to Prevent Premature Aging?
Apart from shielding your skin with herbal anti-aging creams, there are other ways too that you can follow to prevent further aging. Check them out below:
- Try to avoid frequent and prolonged exposure to the damaging UV rays of the sunlight as much as possible. Always apply a high-quality broad-spectrum (both UVA and UVB) sunscreen with SPF 30 or above at least 20 minutes before going out and do not forget to reapply it every 3 to 4 hours.
- Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet that is rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other essential nutrients. This will ensure that your skin cells get enough nourishment for preventing as well as working on the premature signs of aging.
- Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water every day to keep each cell of your skin hydrated. This will keep dehydration and bay and help you maintain the elasticity of your skin.
- Sleep well at night. If your body does not get at least 8 hours of sound sleep, the skin cells will not be able to refresh and renew themselves regularly.
- Make exercise your daily habit. Staying active all boost the circulation of blood throughout your body, thereby keeping your skin healthier and younger.
- Reduce your stress level by practicing stress management. Yoga, meditation, walking, jogging, etc. can help you with this.
- Stop exposing your skin cells to toxic compounds by smoking or drinking regularly. It has been found that damaged skin can get its youthful look completely back after quitting the habits of smoking and consuming alcohol. (8)
- Always remove your makeup before bedtime. Using your face twice daily with a gentle cleanser and tepid water can keep premature aging at bay (9).
While aging is a natural process in our life, premature aging is a condition in which our skin develops various signs of aging earlier than expected. Frequent and prolonged sun exposure, poor diet, inadequate sleep, excessive stress, environmental pollution, etc. may contribute to the wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots on our face. Using anti-aging creams not only helps you reduce the appearance of these signs of aging but also delays them to some extent. It is even better to opt for creams made of all-natural, herbal ingredients that are safe for our skin and highly effective too. So, pick your choice from the list of the best herbal anti-aging creams and look youthful for a longer period.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the Best Natural Remedies for Wrinkles?
Some great natural remedies for wrinkles include aloe vera gel, mashed banana, vitamin C, shea butter, cocoa butter, olive oil, argan oil, sweet almond oil, etc.
Can Face Creams Make Wrinkles Worse?
Face creams or anti-aging creams containing retinol have drying effects on the skin. This can sometimes make your wrinkles worse, especially if you have dry and parched skin.
Can Drinking Water Reverse Wrinkles?
Drinking water cannot reverse your wrinkles magically. But it can certainly restore the moisture balance in your cells, thereby improving the elasticity of your skin and reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
How Do You Increase Collagen Naturally?
Consuming foods rich in amino acids can help you increase the levels of collagen in your body significantly.
Is Coconut Oil Good for Wrinkles?
Being rich in fatty acids, coconut oil works as a great moisturizer for our skin. Hence, massaging it into the dry and mature skin can nourish, moisturize, and healthify it while minimizing the appearance of wrinkles.
- “Skin Disorders in Elderly Subjects“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Discovering the Link Between Nutrition and Skin Aging“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Does Poor Sleep Quality Affect Skin Ageing?“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Stress, Inflammation and Aging“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Environmental Influences on Skin Aging and Ethnic-Specific Manifestations“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Premature Ageing Syndromes“, DermNetNZ.org
- “Skin Anti-Aging Strategies“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Quitting Smoking Rejuvenates the Skin”: Results of a Pilot Project on Smoking Cessation Conducted in Milan, Italy“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Skincare in Your 40s and 50s“, AAD.org