The first night is always special as it is the first time you and your partner are going to spend together ever. But that is not all. It is important to ignite the passion with your newlywed and keep the fire burning on the bed in order to make the most of your much-awaited wedding night. Though sometimes it may be difficult to get it on and make the night actually special with your ‘act’, you do need to get worried or tensed about it. There are certain magical food items that may help you crank up like anything. Here is a quick walk-through of the foods for the first night that will help you spice it up.
Why Choose Specific Foods for First Night?
Well, it is all about meeting the quest for sexual satisfaction, which is known to be closely linked to long-term happiness in a relationship. According to The Journal of Sexual Medicine, the most common sexual dysfunctions in women are ‘desire and arousal dysfunctions’. Some women even experience multiple sexual dysfunctions. (1) But there are some superfoods featuring certain nutrients, which work as ‘aphrodisiacs’ and ensure relationship satisfaction by getting the sex lives back on track. As the very first night of the wedding is the threshold of this beautiful journey, starting it with those specific food items is recommended. They stimulate passion, ignite sexual desire, enhance libido, and boost excitement on the first night (or other special nights afterward too).
These superfoods are scientifically proven to boost hormones, neurotransmitters, and other chemical substances that turn on the mood for the night instantly. They are also jam-packed with various nutrients that keep energy and spirit soaring high throughout the night.
What are Aphrodisiacs?
But what do ‘aphrodisiacs’ actually mean? According to the FDA (Food and Drug Administration), any product that claims to arouse sexual desire, increase sexual pleasure, or improve sexual performance is considered an aphrodisiac product or drug (2). From ancient history to long-held cultural beliefs, aphrodisiacs have been present everywhere and several scientific evidence also suggests that they have great libido-boosting properties for supporting a healthy sex life. The list of potent aphrodisiacs is pretty long and it usually includes widely used spices, extracts of exotic plants, certain foods, animal organs, ground insects, synthetic chemicals, and so many more (3). While aphrodisiac substances are beneficial for both males and females, they boost the secretion of the hormone testosterone more than estrogen.
Yohimbine is a natural aphrodisiac extracted from the bark of the West African Yohimbe tree. As per the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, Yohimbine causes major health issues, such as heart attacks and seizures (4).
Different Types of Aphrodisiac Foods
Typically, aphrodisiac foods are categorized into the following five ways (5):
- Hot Foods: Hot and spicy foods (chili, curry, etc.) arouse ‘heated’ passion by creating warmth and moisture in the body.
- Stimulators: These items stimulate passion and desire by stimulating four love senses i.e. sight, smell, taste, and touch in an enjoyable way.
- Exotic Foods: Most expensive and rarely available foods are considered erotic or sexually exciting.
- Look-alikes: When food items look similar to the genitalia (oyster, carrot, etc.) in terms of shape or appearance, they are believed to increase sexual desire.
- Sensual Foods: Rich, smooth, and creamy food items are usually thought to elicit sensuality, thus boosting sexual response too.
6 Foods for First Night to Spice Up Your Moments
So, are you ready to work on your oomph factor and create some magic for a perfect first night? Get passionate and romantic by using one of the aphrodisiacs listed below and enjoy a night you will remember forever:
1. Aromatic Saffron
When it comes to the best aphrodisiacs that create sparks on the first night, saffron always tops the list. Though this highly expensive spice is primarily used as a cooking ingredient for its excellent aroma and wonderful health benefits, it also has great libido-boosting properties. It heightens energy levels by increasing neurological signals while reducing stress, anxiety, and depression to keep you feeling fresh (6). Therefore, if you want to add a zing to your first night and rid your nervousness, do not forget to consume ‘kesar wala doodh’ to increase your sexual desire and reduce your tension.
Drinking hot milk infused with saffron is a well-known marriage ritual in many parts of India. Its origin traces back to hundreds of years and it is still practiced because of its well-known efficacy.
2. Magical Dark Chocolate
Dark chocolate is largely known for its health benefits but little do people know that it is also a wonderful source of energy. So why not kick off your first night to a perfect start by indulging in a dark chocolate bar or two? The sensual treat is packed with phenylethylamine (PEA) that amplifies the production of chemical neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, and endorphin in the body, thus triggering warm lovey-dovey feelings (7). This gets you in the mood and makes you feel relaxed so that you can enjoy the heat and feel fully content eventually.
3. Juicy Strawberries
What can be more tantalizing for a newlywed couple than treating themselves with some red, ripe, and succulent strawberries dipped into freshly melted chocolate? Sounds sensual, right? Well, it truly is! And it is very effective too. Scientists have confirmed that strawberries are a great source of antioxidants, which eliminate free radicals from your cardiovascular system and increase blood circulation throughout the body. As the blood flow in your sex organs also gets increased, you feel more energetic, sensual, and completely ready for a memorable night. (8) Plenty of vitamins and minerals present in strawberries also help in keeping the fire burning.
4. Nutty Almonds
Many people love adding a few almonds to their saffron-infused milk before starting the first night of their marriage. Not only these nuts have endless health benefits but they are also well known for their incredible stamina-boosting power. Almonds are rich in vitamin B2 as well as in minerals like manganese, copper, and zinc (9), which are proven to increase strength and vitality dramatically. They also contain a generous amount of protein, which is absolutely necessary to ensure that your sex hormones are functioning at their utmost power.
5. Smooth Honey
Now, take a moment to think about the idea of having some pure, raw honey right before getting active in your bedroom. Is not it fascinating? Why not use it as a way to spice up your first night? In fact, honey has been considered as one of the best natural food items to fight against impotency and increase fertility in both men and women. It is packed with the mineral boron, which plays a crucial role in stimulating the production of sex hormones like estrogen and testosterone in the body (10). This will surely enhance your sexual desire in a super sweet way while satisfying your taste buds beautifully.
6. Fresh Mint
Finally, here is an item that can keep you fully refreshed all throughout that dreamy night. It is nothing else but fresh mint leaves. Apart from the high vitamin content, mint leaves are known for their wonderful taste and invigorating aroma. They will cure bad breath almost instantly and help draw your partner’s lips closer to yours. This is, indeed, a surefire way to create a passionate mood between you two. Just have a few fresh mint leaves prior to starting the action for the night and you will be all geared up both physically and mentally for a sincerely delightful night.
Foods to Avoid for the First Night
While the aforementioned foods are perfect to spice up your wedding night in the best possible way, there are some others that can kill your mood completely. Check out those mood-busting culprits to stay away from them:
- Coffee: Excessive caffeine may elevate the levels of cortisol (stress hormone) in your body, thereby preventing you from relaxing and lowering your libido.
- Carbonated Beverages: Avoid carbonated drinks like soda, tonic water, etc. before such a romantic night irrespective of your sensitivity to carbonation as they may lead to belching, and you definitely not want it!
- Soy: Too much intake of soy may cause hormonal imbalance and you may end up having a significantly poor performance due to reduced sex drive.
- Cruciferous Vegetables: This type of veggies, such as cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc. may make you gassy by producing methane. Hence, it is advised that you either cook them very well or steer clear of them.
- Salty Foods: When you eat anything too salty like popcorn, French fries, etc., your blood flow decreases due to increased water retention and you experience bloating. None of these are really expected on your first night.
Many women experience multiple sexual dysfunctions, which impact the long-term happiness in relationships negatively. But there are some superfoods that work as ‘aphrodisiacs’ and ensure relationship satisfaction by arousing sexual desire, increasing sexual pleasure, or improving sexual performance. They are scientifically proven to boost hormones, neurotransmitters, and other chemical substances that turn on the mood and keep energy soaring high. Wedding night, being the threshold of this beautiful journey should be started with those specific food items. Aphrodisiac foods are divided into categories like hot foods, stimulators, exotic foods, look-alikes, and sensual foods. Saffron, dark chocolate, strawberries, almonds, honey, mint, etc. are some of those libido-boosting food items that may help you spice up your first night and create some magic. Similarly, coffee, soy, carbonated beverages, cruciferous vegetables, salty foods, etc. may kill your romantic mood and hence, should be avoided on the wedding night.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the Use of Honey in the First Night?
The body needs extra energy for the first night, which is mostly collected by the brain from the liver glycogen. Having extra sugar in the form of honey may improve the ability of brain to gain more energy and function throughout the night.
Why Do People Drink Milk During First Night?
According to Ayurveda, milk is a natural ‘vrishya’ or aphrodisiac that enhances both sexual desire and sexual performance by strengthening the reproductive tissue. Hence, drinking milk during the first night has become a ritual.
What Should I Eat to Perform Better in Bed?
Eating foods filled with protein and potassium may help you perform better in the bed.
- “Incidence and Prevalence of Sexual Dysfunction in Women and Men: A Consensus Statement from the Fourth International Consultation on Sexual Medicine 2015“, JSM.JSexMed.org
- “Drug Products Containing Active Ingredients Offered Over-the-Counter (OTC) for Use As an Aphrodisiac“, eCFR.gov
- “Aphrodisiacs from Plant and Animal Sources—A Review of Current Scientific Literature“, ScienceDirect.com
- “Yohimbe“, NCCIH.NIH.gov
- “Aphrodisiacs: Fact or Fiction?“, WebMD.com
- “Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) and Major Depressive Disorder: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials“, PubMed.NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Less Guilt, More Phenylethylamine“, PsychologyToday.com
- “Sexy Antioxidants? Boost Your Libido & Fight Off Cancer“, TheAlternativeDaily.com
- ” Learn what Raw Foods have the Zinc Your Diet Needs“, NaturalNews.com
- “Foods High in Boron & Vitamins“, LiveStrong.com