An indulgent bath not only makes us smell fresh all day long but also treats our mind, body, and spirit. And what else can maximize the spa-like experience than a luscious body wash or shower gel? In fact, a refreshing shower is the best way to kick-start the morning as it boosts the mood wonderfully while making the skin feel loved. But picking a subtly scented body wash with absolutely amazing results can be quite a task. So, here we have rounded up the 10 best body washes in India that can change your bathing experience completely:
What is Body Wash?
The body wash is basically a generic term widely used for liquid body cleansers these days. It is a spa product, which is typically used during a shower for cleaning the dust and impurities from the skin. Apart from water and sodium laureth sulfate (SLS), body washes contain natural emollients (skin softeners) and nutrient-rich ingredients that help in hydrating, conditioning, and nourishing the skin. The best thing about body washes is that they cleanse the skin gently yet thoroughly without stripping the skin off its natural oils. A study published in Dermatologic Clinics revealed that some newer body wash formulae comprise a common skin ointment called emulsified petrolatum, which improves dryness while cleansing the skin (1).
The terms ‘body wash’ and ‘shower gel’ are used interchangeably depending on the texture and consistency of a product. The gel-based transparent or translucent liquids infused with exfoliants or beads are usually known as ‘shower gels’ while the cream-based liquids with a smooth texture are generally called shower cream or body wash.
Why Choose Body Wash Over Bar Soap?
The classic soap is what we have been using as a skin cleanser since our childhood. But being a long-chain fatty acid alkali salt (with a pH 9-10), soaps are harsh on our skin (2). They may disturb the natural moisture or protective barrier of the skin by eliminating the essential lipids, proteins, and oils from its surface (3). As a result, the skin may develop signs of damage including dryness, itching, irritation, inflammation, etc., which may again worsen acne, eczema, dermatitis, rosacea, and so on (4).
On the other hand, body washes offer several convenient benefits along with a wide variety of applications. Check them out below (5):
- Comes packaged in an easy to use and travel-friendly bottle
- Can be used with a body sponge or loofah for greater exfoliation
- Delivers excellent hydration and moisturization for all skin types
- Does not dry out the skin or cause irritation to it
- Offers aromatherapeutic and effervescent effects with long-lasting fragrances
- Perfectly suitable for people with sensitive skin
- Creates amazing lather with minimal rubbing
- More hygienic than a bar of soap
10 Best Body Washes In India You Must Try
Whether you want a body wash to hydrate your skin intensely or looking for products that leave you smelling pleasant throughout the day, this list of 10 best body washes in India will help you a lot. Check them out below to find your favorite one:
1. Dove Go Fresh Nourishing Body Wash
When we say the words ‘gentle’, ‘moisture’, and ‘soft’, the name that immediately comes to our mind is ‘Dove‘. This Go Fresh Nourishing Body Wash from the brand cleanses gently, revitalizes senses, and leaves behind a fresh touch of hydration.
- A lightweight product with a mild, gentle formula
- Nourishing body wash that works even better than milk
- Enriched with unique NutriumMoisture technology and hydrating milk
- Cleanses the skin gently without stripping off its natural moisture
- Delivers natural nutrients to the skin
- Nourishes deep into the surface layers of the skin
- Gives softer and smoother skin after just one shower
- Has an uplifting scent of crisp cucumber and soothing green tea
Price: Rs. 115 for 190 ml.
2. Nivea Fresh Powerfruit Shower Gel
The Nivea Fresh Powerfruit Shower Gel is an exclusive combination of ‘powerfruit and nourishing skincare’. It provides tempting freshness and exotic care for your skin under the shower while leaving it feeling intensely moisturized.
- A pH-balanced product with silky soft foam
- Infused with an acai berry extract, blueberry extract, sea minerals, and antioxidants
- Features Hydra IQ 24h+ moisture technology and gentle care oil pearls
- Cleanses the skin gently and effectively
- Rejuvenates and relaxes the skin during each shower
- Moisturizes the skin better than soap
- Leaves the skin feeling soft and moisturized even after towel drying
- The fresh aquatic fragrance stimulates the senses
- Offers invigorating freshness throughout the day
- Skin compatibility dermatologically approved
Price: Rs. 199 for 250 ml.
3. Neutrogena Rainbath Refreshing Shower And Bath Gel
Turn an ordinary shower into a pampering spa experience with the Neutrogena Rainbath Refreshing Shower And Bath Gel. It cleanses, conditions, and softens the skin with a rich lather that does not leave any heavy residue behind.
- A special formula with a rich clean-rinsing lather
- Cleanses, conditions, and softens the skin
- Cleanses away bacteria effectively
- Does not leave any heavy residue behind
- Makes the skin smoother and renewed
- An intriguing fragrance blend of spices, herbs, and fruits
- Provides a clean burst of freshness just like rain
- Refreshes your whole body and also awakens your senses
- Can be used as a shaving gel too
Price: Rs. 770 for 473 ml.
4. The Body Shop Strawberry Shower Gel
The Body Shop Strawberry Shower Gel is one of the bestsellers in The Body Shop shower gel range. Immerse yourself in the deliciously fruity aroma of strawberry as you lather up with this soap-free, ultra-nourishing body wash.
- A soap-free shower gel formula with a rich lather
- Enriched with real cold-pressed strawberry seed oil and community-trade honey (from Ethiopia)
- Makes the skin squeaky clean
- Nourishes and moisturizes dry skin perfectly
- Helps in skin regeneration
- Leaves the skin feeling silky soft
- Has a deliciously sweet fruity scent of strawberry
- Keeps us energized all through the day
Price: Rs. 345 for 250 ml.
5. Fiama Di Wills Blackcurrant and Bearberry Shower Gel
The Fiama Di Wills Blackcurrant and Bearberry Shower Gel is a perfect combination of ‘luxurious skin nourishment and ‘superior bathing delight’. It is filled with natural goodness and gives softer, smoother, and youthful skin.
- A soft, buttery, luxurious product offering utmost skin nourishment
- Comes packed with natural blackcurrant and bearberry extracts along with rich, encapsulating glitter beads
- Infused with skin conditioners that lock moisture in the skin
- Prevents water loss to give soft, moisturized skin
- Cleanses all impurities and removes dead cells gently
- Ensures soothing, relaxing, and rejuvenating care
- Gives younger-looking, glowing skin round the clock
- Has a luscious long-lasting fragrance and indulgent lather
- Dermatologist tested, safe on skin
Price: Rs. 199 for 250 ml.
Read Also – 10 Best Body Scrubs in India for a Glowing Skin
6. Palmolive Thermal Spa Mineral Massage Shower Gel
With the Palmolive Thermal Spa Mineral Massage Shower Gel, enjoy a delightful home spa experience every day in the shower. It is a unique product that claims to firm up the skin and improve its softness when used regularly.
- A deliciously creamy formulation rendering the secrets of thermal massage
- Infused with crushed coconut, jojoba butter extracts, seaweed extracts, thermal salts, white clay
- Gives a squeaky clean skin
- Retains the natural moisture of the skin
- Turns the skin silky soft and velvety smooth
- Renews and tones up the skin naturally
- Eliminates dead skin cells with gentle scrubbing action
- Reduces cellulite by providing a massage feel
- Irresistibly pleasing fragrance and a rich, fragrant lather
- Relaxes and soothes the body
- Suitable for all skin types
- Does not cause any irritation
Price: Rs. 180 for 250 ml.
7. Pears Pure and Gentle Body Wash
Who does not love the pears soap? When the same deal comes in an easier-to-use gel form, there is nothing not to love about it. The 100% soap-free product with iconic Pears fragrance moisturizes the skin deeply and leaves it absolutely fresh.
- Mild, gentle, and non-abrasive shower gel
- Skin pH-balanced and 100% soap-free product
- Made with 98% pure glycerin and natural oils
- Cleanses the skin gently yet thoroughly
- Removes all impurities (almost 99.9% germs)
- Leaves it soft, smooth, and supple like that of a baby
- Keeps the skin hydrated by locking the natural oils and moisture in it
- Offers healthy skin with a golden glow after each wash
- Features a mild and soothing fragrance with a soft lather
- Hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, and dermatologically tested
- Trusted and recommended by doctors and pediatricians worldwide
- Suits all skin types including sensitive and delicate skin
Price: Rs. 180 for 250 ml.
8. Lux Velvet Touch Moisturizing Body Wash
Enjoy a velvety moisturizing feeling with the Lux Velvet Touch Moisturizing Body Wash. It is a unique blend of jasmine and almond oil that leaves the skin intensely moisturized with a delicate floral scent of fresh blooming flowers.
- A soft and creamy gel formulation
- Enriched with SilkEssence (silk protein extracts), peach extract, and breakthrough Floral Fusion Oil (jasmine oil and almond oil)
- Glides over the skin and makes it noticeably velvety
- Cleanses and replenishes effectively
- Hydrates the skin to make it soft and lustrous
- Gives a cooling effect to the skin
- Has a distinct scent that lasts the entire day
- Ideal for dry and dull skin that needs hydration and glow
- The moisture coats your skin with a shiny gloss.
Price: Rs. 99 for 235 ml.
9. Biotique Advanced Ayurveda Bio Basil & Parsley Purifying Body Wash
This Bio Basil & Parsley Purifying Body Wash Biotique Advanced Ayurveda cleanses softens, and brings out the natural brightness of the skin. It is a soap and preservative-free formulation with all pure and organic botanicals.
- 100% soap-free body wash with 100% natural botanicals
- Organically pure and preservative-free formula
- Infused with the oils and extracts basil, parsley, reetha, pudina, neem, wheat germ, coconut, etc.
- Cleanses gently and removes all impurities
- Does not disturb the skin’s natural pH balance
- Softens, revitalizes, and brightens the skin
- Available in environmental-friendly and recyclable packaging
- Dermatologist tested for safety
Price: Rs. 199 for 200 ml.
10. Vaadi Herbals Divine Honey & Sandal Shower Gel
Pamper your skin with the Vaadi Herbals Divine Honey & Sandal Shower Gel and get super-soft, flawless skin. The unique skin lightening therapy contains 100% natural herbals, which also keep acne and rashes away.
- A skin lightening therapy in the form of body wash
- 100% natural herbals with no chemicals or parabens
- Comes packed with the extracts of manjistha, saffron, and sandal along with honey and vitamin E
- Cleanses the pores of dirt and germs
- Retains the natural moisture of the skin
- Keeps the skin hydrated all day long
- Gives a smooth and flawless complexion
- Antibacterial properties prevent skin imbalances and breakouts
- Soothes and heals acne and rashes
- Fades away suntan, pigmentation, dark patches, and scars
- Evens out the skin tone and adds a subtle glow to it
- Makes the skin soft, supple, and flawless
Price: Rs. 230 for 300 ml.
Body wash is a generic term widely used for liquid body cleanser these days. It is used during a shower for cleansing the dust and impurities from the skin. Body washes contain natural emollients (skin softeners) and nutrient-rich ingredients that help in hydrating, conditioning, and nourishing the skin. The best thing about body washes is that they cleanse the skin gently yet thoroughly without stripping the skin off its natural oils. Being a long-chain fatty acid alkali salt (with a pH 9-10), the classic soaps are harsh on our skin. They may disturb the natural moisture or protective barrier of the skin by eliminating the essential lipids, proteins, and oils from its surface. As a result, the skin may develop signs of damage including dryness, itching, irritation, inflammation, etc., which may again worsen into acne, eczema, dermatitis, rosacea, and so on. On the other hand, body washes offer several convenient benefits along with a wide variety of applications, such as better packaging, greater exfoliation, excellent hydration, long-lasting fragrances, skin compatibility, amazing lather, improved hygiene, etc. Knowing about the best body washes in India will help you choose the most suitable one for your unique skin requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What to Do After Using Body Wash?
Once you are done with your shower session with a body wash, apply your go-to moisturizer all over your body when it is still damp. This will help seal the moisture in the skin and keep it hydrated all through the day.
Is It Good to Use Body Wash every day?
Of course! Body washes are full of cleansing and moisturizing ingredients that are actually good for our skin and hence can be used every day.
Does Body Wash Kill Bacteria?
Certain body washes come labeled as ‘antibacterial’ due to the presence of bacterial-killing chemicals like triclosan, triclocarban, etc. in them. They can be used for cleansing the skin by killing several harmful bacteria.
Can Body Wash Be Used As Hand Wash?
While body washes and hand washes are not the same, still a body wash can be used for any part of the body including hands. However, you should remember that it will not be as powerful as a hand wash.
How Do You Properly Use Body Wash?
While taking a shower, wet your skin nicely and pour some body wash onto a loofah. Now, apply it to your skin and lather well. Rub gently for gentle exfoliating effects. Then, rinse it off and pat dry with a soft cotton towel.
- “Modern Skin Cleansers“, PubMed.NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Evaluation of pH of Bathing Soaps and Shampoos for Skin and Hair Care“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “Effects of Soap and Detergents on Skin Surface pH, Stratum Corneum Hydration and Fat Content in Infants“, PubMed.NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “The Skin Microbiome“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov
- “10 Things No One Ever Tells You About: Body Wash“, StyleCaster.com