In India, we all are pretty familiar with ‘kalonji‘ or black cumin seeds. They are highly popular as a powerful spice in Indian cuisine. The medicinal benefits of black cumin are also quite well-known. But did you know that these tiny black seeds can also help you get rid of extra body weight? Well, multiple studies have concluded that kalonji has immense health as well as medicinal benefits and it can also be considered as a great natural weight loss remedy. Read on to know how to use kalonji seeds for weight loss, all the benefits offered by them as well as the side effects you need to be aware of.
What Are Kalonji Seeds?
‘Kalonji’ or ‘black cumin’ or ‘black caraway’ (scientifically known as Nigella Sativa) is an annual flowering plant, which belongs to the Ranunculaceae family and is native to south and southwest Asia. It produces fruits in the form of large, inflated capsules containing 3-7 united follicles and each of them holds numerous tiny, black seeds. Kalonji seeds are a wonderful kitchen ingredient with a pungent bitter taste and smell. It is basically a spice (used in Indian, Middle Eastern, and Polish cuisines) that comes packed with nutrients and is mostly used for adding flavor to various dishes. Dry-roasted kalonji seeds are used as seasonings too (1).
Kalonji seeds are rich in nigellone, thymoquinone, protein, essential fatty acids (arachidonic acid, linoleic acid, linolenic acid, myristic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid, palmitoleic acid, and stearic acid), amino acids, and carbohydrates. They also comprise volatile oils, saponins, alkaloids, vitamins, and minerals.
Health Benefits Of Kalonji Seeds
Before we dig deeper into the weight loss benefits of kalonji seeds and their usage for the same, let’s take a look at all those health and medicinal properties attributed to them (2):
- Treats several brain-related problems including memory loss, poor concentration, low intellectual level, etc.
- Keeps diabetes at bay by regulating our blood sugar levels efficiently
- Keeps hypertension under control by reducing bad cholesterol levels
- Improves the health of the heart and prevents serious cardiac issues
- Strengthens the immune system and keeps us away from infections
- Works as a natural painkiller for curing joint pain, headaches, etc.
Read Also – 18 Incredible Benefits Of Sunflower Seeds For Skin, Hair, And Health
Why Choose Kalonji Seeds For Weight Loss?
Kalonji seeds are known to play a significant role in reducing belly fat (3). If you start using these seeds as a part of your weight-loss treatment, the circumference of your waist will get visibly reduced just within a few weeks. The best thing about kalonji is that it offers a natural and faster weight loss solution without any potential side effects. However, here are the reasons behind the effectiveness of kalonji seeds in weight loss:
- Contains a very high amount of dietary fibers, which keep our digestive system healthy, make our metabolism better, lower our blood sugar levels (4), and eventually facilitate weight loss
- Contains crystalline nigellone, a carbonyl polymer of thymoquinone, which works as an antioxidant enzyme (5) and prevents fat accumulation in our body
- The ether extract of kalonji holds mild anorexic property, which helps in curbing appetite and accelerating weight loss
Read Also – Amazing Health, Skin, Hair And Weight Loss Benefits Of Sabja Seeds
How To Use Kalonji Seeds?
Using kalonji as a weight-loss treatment is super easy. Here are the simple steps that you need to follow to shed off those extra kilos around your belly:
- Kalonji seeds – 3 to 5 mg.
- Pure, raw organic honey – 1 tablespoon
- Fresh lemon – 1
- Warm Water – 1(1/2) glasses
Steps To Follow:
- Squeeze out the juice of the lemon into 1 glass of warm water.
- Stir well with a spoon.
- Drink the concoction in the morning when your stomach is empty. There must be a gap of 30-45 minutes between the consumption of this holy potion and your breakfast.
- Now, take (1/2) glass of warm water and swallow the kalonji seeds with it.
- Finish off the procedure by consuming 1 tablespoon of pure natural honey. However, this is optional and you may skip it.
Other Kalonji Recipes
If you want to try something beyond the traditional recipe of kalonji for weight loss, here are a few for you.
1. Kalonji Oil And Honey
Simply add (1/2) teaspoon of pure raw honey to 1 teaspoon of kalonji oil. Consume it the first thing in the morning every day and the results will be visible in just a few weeks.
Different varieties of kalonji oil are available in the market. Make sure that you purchase the pure and food-grade one for weight loss. It can also be prepared at home easily.
Read Also – How To Lose Weight With Carom Seeds
2. Kalonji Oil And Orange Juice
Squeeze out the juice of fresh orange into a cup. Add 1 teaspoon of kalonji oil to it and stir well with a spoon. You need to drink the juice mixture in the morning on an empty stomach. Practicing it every day will give you great outcomes.
3. Kalonji Oil, Cinnamon, And Honey
Prepare a mixture by combining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder with1 a tablespoon of pure organic honey. Add it to 2 tablespoons of kalonji oil and blend well with a spoon. Consume this oil mixture. Then, drink a glass of water to complete the procedure. Ensure that you do not eat anything up to half an hour after this.
Which Is The Best Kalonji Seed Form?
Kalonji seeds are available in the market in many forms. While the whole kalonji seeds are more common, you can also find kalonji seed oil, kalonji seed tea, or kalonji seed pills. However, it is believed that the oil extract of Kalonji seeds is the most beneficial remedy for weight loss.
Right Dosage Of Kalonji Seeds
Be careful about the dosage of kalonji seeds. Do not take more than 3 to 5 mg of seeds or 1 to 3 tablespoons of oil extract a day. Kalonji is known to intensify ‘pitta’ in your body, which might cause an imbalance of three ‘doshas’ in your body.
Also Read – Excellent Benefits of Chia Seeds for Hair, How to Use, and Daily Dosage
How Often To Take Kalonji Seeds?
It is better to use kalonji seeds twice every day for losing weight considerably around the belly. However, in case of time constraints, you must try to take it in the morning and make sure that your stomach is empty. This helps us to enjoy the maximum effects of the seeds.
Side Effects Of Kalonji Seeds
Kalonji seeds should not be taken along with any blood sugar medications. If you need to take insulin, devil’s claw, Panax ginseng, etc. daily, using kalonji for weight loss might result in hypoglycemia and make your blood sugar levels significantly low. Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should also consume kalonji seeds in moderate quantities or not consume it at all to stay away from complications (6). You must avoid taking it in large amounts as it usually lowers the levels of blood pressure and blood sugar down. If you are taking medications for hypertension or diabetes, consult your physician before using kalonji for weight loss. Regular intake of too many kalonji seeds can slow down the clotting process in our body and lead to bleeding disorders (7). You should never take it before, during, and after surgery.
Read Also – Top 10 Health Benefits Of Papaya Seeds
Kalonji seeds are extensively used for its health and medicinal properties. It is rich in dietary fibre and regular intake can boost the digestive system, lower blood sugar level and improve metabolism of the body. It prevents fat accumulation in the body and controls appetite thus aiding in weight management. Kalonji seeds can be consumed directly (3 to 5 mg of seeds) or Kalonji oil can be mixed with honey, orange juice or cinnamon to make a healthy weight loss recipe. Kalonji seeds are free from any possible side effects however pregnant and breastfeeding mothers should avoid it. Regular intake of Kalonji seeds may slow down the blood coagulation process.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I drink cumin water before bed?
Yes, you can. However, it is recommended to consume cumin water early in the morning (preferably on empty stomach). It aids digestion, boosts metabolism, and improves overall health.
Is cumin a blood thinner?
Multiple studies have confirmed that cumin may slow down the blood coagulation/clotting process which may increase the possibility of bleeding.
Can you eat Kalonji seeds raw?
Of course. You can consume Kalonji seeds in their raw format. Heating may dilute some of its nutritional value.
Does Kalonji cause constipation?
There is no clear evidence to suggest Kalonji can cause constipation. According to few journals, when it is consumed with black tea, it can curb constipation.
Is Kalonji good for the immune system?
Studies have confirmed that it can boost the immune system, improve digestive health and promote the overall metabolism of the body.
- “Nigella Sativa“, Wikipedia.org
- “9 Impressive Health Benefits of Kalonji (Nigella Seeds)“, healthline.com
- “Effects of Nigella sativa oil with a low-calorie diet on cardiometabolic risk factors in obese women: a randomized controlled clinical trial” – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Nigella sativa L. (Black Cumin): A Promising Natural Remedy for Wide Range of Illnesses“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Nigella sativa Oil in Human Pre-Adipocytes“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “What Is Black Cumin Seed Oil & Why Is It Getting So Much Hype“, mindbodygreen.com
- “Hematological Studies on Black Cumin Oil from the Seeds of Nigella sativa L.“, researchgate.net