The ‘Lemon Detox’ program was originally named as the ‘Master Cleanse Program’ by its inventor Stanley Burroughs. Since 1940, this detox diet has been helping people in getting rid of all sorts of toxic materials produced as well as accumulated in different parts of the body by cleansing the digestive tract, liver, kidneys and making the bloodstream healthier.
All these are known to promote short-term weight loss, which has made the program extremely popular among overweight people. Let us dig into deeper:
How to Prepare the ‘Lemon Detox Diet’?
You need only the following items to prepare the classic ‘Master Cleanse’ recipe for one glass / serving:
- Organic lemon / lime juice – 2 tablespoons (around 20 to 30 ml.) (freshly squeezed)
- Organic grade B maple syrup – 2 tablespoons (around 20 ml.)
- Cayenne pepper – (1/10) teaspoon
- Pure distilled water – 10 ounces (around 250 ml.) (hot or cold, as per the preference)
Burroughs recommended the consumption of fresh lemonade. But if it doesn’t suit your schedule, you can prepare it by batch and store for future us.
Also Read – Make and Sip these Detox Drinks to Cleanse the Body Here
Put all the ingredients into a jar, place the lid on its top and shake well so that they blend together properly. It will help the mixture go down your digestive tract smoothly. During the preparation of an entire batch, make a concentrate by combining the lemon juice with the maple syrup and place it in the refrigerator by storing in a dark container. All you need to do is to mix cayenne pepper and water with 4 tablespoons of this concentrate and consume.
How Do the Ingredients Help?
- Lemon / Lime – Being rich in essential vitamins and minerals, it replaces your requirements of solid foods during the program by regulating your bodily functions.
- Maple Syrup – Being a good source of nutrients, it helps in detoxifying the body while adding sweetness to the drink.
- Cayenne Pepper – It improves the bowel movements, and thereby cleansing the colon as well as the inner walls of intestines thoroughly.It also helps in blood cell formation and promotes fat loss by burning off lots of calories.
- Water – Combines all other ingredients and allow them to work efficiently.
How to Follow the ‘Lemon Detox’ Diet?
This detox diet program is usually carried out for only a period of 10 to 14 days. The lemonade must be consumed 6 to 12 times every day during this time span. In fact, you need to consume it whenever you feel hungry as there is no provision of eating any other food this time. Also, sip a herbal laxative tea twice daily –in the morning and in the evening, in order to clear out the colon.
Also Read – Join the Detox Bandwagon with Apple Cider Vinegar Here
Effectiveness for Weight Loss
During the lemon detox diet program, we do not consume any sort of solid food. Rather, the cayenne pepper component of the lemonade plays a key role in burning off the calories obtained from the fat tissues. As a result, our body experiences a considerable ‘calorie deficit’ and we end up losing weight. It has been found that people can lose around 2 lbs. of weight a day while living on this diet program. However, the effects are short-term and you may return to the previous condition once the program is over.