‘Carom Seeds’ (Bishop’s Weed or Thymol Seeds), popularly known as ‘Ajwain’, is an Asian spice mainly used to add flavor to various dishes. They have a unique taste, which is pungent and bitter to some extent. But the goodness of those tiny, aromatic fruit pods can go far beyond this. Carom seeds offer several health and medicinal benefits, and you can even get rid of excess body weight with its help! So, if you are interested to know how to lose weight with carom seeds, keep reading.
Health Benefits Of Carom Seeds
Carom seeds have long been used as Ayurvedic medicine. Following are different health benefits you can enjoy by including them in your daily diet: (1) (2) (3)
- Works as an instant natural relief for indigestion and acidity.
- Improves digestive health by facilitating the secretion of gastric juices, thereby keeping digestive problems, such as abdominal gas, flatulence, etc., at bay.
- It keeps constipation away by making bowel movement easier and faster.
- Treats common cough and cold by making mucus discharge easy and clearing the nasal blockage.
- Over time, it cures several respiratory disorders, including asthma, bronchitis, etc.
- It gives relief from headaches, migraine, toothache, earache, etc., with its anesthetic properties.
- It relieves the pain and inflammation caused due to arthritis with its antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It helps regularize the menstrual cycles (irregular periods and excessive bleeding) in women.
- Naturally dissolves kidney stones inside the body and removes them. Also, it reduces the pain caused by them.
Carom seeds have amazing nutritional value. It is rich in proteins, fats, carbohydrate, dietary fibres, vitamins and minerals (thiamine, niacin, iron, calcium, sodium, potassium, phosphorus)
How To Lose weight With Carom Seeds
Besides the aforementioned health benefits, carom seeds offer excellent weight loss benefits. Here are different ways to use these seeds for shedding off excess pounds:
1. Carom Seed Water
Take one liter of water in a pan, heat it, and bring it to a boil. Add one teaspoon of carom seeds to it and let it come to a rolling boil. You will see that the liquid is changing color gradually. Once the whole concoction turns golden, please turn off the heat, and allow it to cool down. Strain this infusion and sip on it throughout the day.
This carom seed water has impressive health benefits, ranging from curing indigestion to promoting metabolism. By relieving indigestion, they eliminate flatulence and speed up metabolism. As a result, we burn fat faster and shed off any pent-up weight in a better way.
2. Carom Seed-Honey Water
This remedy involves soaking about 25 gms. of carom seeds in a glass of water (about 250 ml.) overnight. The following day, run the mixture through a strainer and mix 1 tsp. of pure, raw honey with it. Drink this strained infusion the first thing on an empty stomach, right after brushing your teeth. Then, consume it every day for at least 3 months to experience consistent weight loss.
Honey comes packed with vitamins, minerals, and essential amino acids, which cumulatively help regulate our metabolism. It also activates hormones in our body, which keeps appetite suppressed, preventing weight gain. All these enhance the weight loss effects of carom seeds. This infusion can reduce excess body weight in as little as a fortnight when coupled with a strict low-carb diet.
Tip: To avoid any hassle with measurements, buy a standard 100 grams pack of carom seeds and roughly divide it into 4 parts. Each part will be about 25 grams. You can reuse each batch of seeds for two consecutive days, after which they need to be thrown out. So, 100 grams of carom seeds will last a total of 8 days.
3. Raw Carom Seeds
Chew on a spoonful of raw carom seeds every morning just half an hour before having breakfast. It helps the body release enough digestive juices to make the digestion of your breakfast and the previous night’s meal easier and better. This practice is believed to help quickly lose around 5 kgs. of excess body weight. What’s more, it is entirely natural and devoid of any side effects. So, go ahead and try this one!
Also Read – Know How To Use Kalonji Seeds For Weight Loss And Get A Perfectly Slim-Trim Look
4. Mixed Spice Powder
This mixture of several powdered spices can be made into a refreshing beverage and consumed daily for effective weight loss. You need to take nigella seeds or kalonji, carom seeds, cinnamon, and fennel seeds in equal quantities and grind them together into a fine powder. Ensure that the spice powder mixture is completely dry and store it in an airtight container.
When you are ready, take half a teaspoon of this powder and dissolve it into a glass of water. You can strain the infusion before consuming it if you find the flavor of the cinnamon too strong. Drink this water twice a day in between meals. This not only makes for a refreshing drink but will also help you burn away excess fat.
Hydrolyzed carom are used to prepare an essential oil, which is known to be extremely beneficial. It consists of thymol, gamma – terpinene, p – cymene, and 20% trace compounds.
Words of Caution:
When consumed in moderate amounts, carom seeds do not pose significant side effects or health risks. However, overconsumption of the ingredient can be harmful to you. Here is what you need to remember about the high dosage of carom seeds:
- Disrupts digestion instead of aiding it and leads to issues, such as abdominal gas, heartburn, acidity, stomach ulcer, constipation, etc.
- Thymol in it causes dizziness, while Gamma-Terpinene causes nausea.
- Worsens liver diseases, including diverticulitis and ulcerative colitis, causing irreversible damage.
- Certain carrom seeds can increase heart rate resulting in palpitation, high blood pressure, and other severe cardiac disorders.
- Increases the body’s temperature during pregnancy, which brings lots of complications.
- It makes the skin photosensitive, which is damaging in the long run.
Also Read – Urine Therapy May Promote Hair Growth
- “18 Best Health Benefits Of Carom Seeds (Ajwain)” – organicfacts.net
- “Health Benefits of Ajwain” – webmd.com
- “6 Emerging Benefits and Uses of Carom Seeds (Ajwain)” – healthline.com