Natural oils are extremely good for us. And if it is something as beneficial as olive oil, then you can certainly reap some amazing benefits from it for your health and appearance. In this article, we are going to review one of the best olive oils available in the market i.e. Figaro Olive Oil. If you are fond of natural oils, you must have heard about it or used it already. So, does it live up to its claim? Let’s discover here.
What is Olive Oil?
Olives are the fruits of the olive tree (Olea europaea), which is a traditional crop of the Mediterranean Basin belonging to the Oleaceae family. However, the cultivation of olives is rising steadily around the world for the last few decades. Olive oil is a liquid fat obtained by pressing whole olives. It is usually rich in antioxidants, monounsaturated fatty acids, and plenty of other healthful nutrients, which make it a popular global choice. However, the composition of the ingredient changes based on the cultivar, altitude, and process of extraction. Olive oil is an indispensable part of Mediterranean cooking, which is mostly used for frying and salad dressings. Besides, it is also widely used in the production of pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, soaps, etc. Olive oil is also used as a fuel for traditional lamps. (1)
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) is the best type of olive oil, which undergoes the least processing. It has favorable flavor characteristics with a slightly bitter taste. The amount of antioxidants present in EVOO is the highest.
Health Benefits of Olive Oil
Now, before we start talking about Figaro product, here is a quick brief of the health benefits offered by olive oil:
- The fatty acid content of olive oil is mostly composed of monounsaturated fat called oleic acid (73%) and polyunsaturated fats called omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids (11%). Only the remaining 14% is saturated fat. (2). Oleic acid in the oil may help reduce inflammation and protect against certain types of cancer (3), (4), (5).
- Olive oil comes loaded with potent and biologically active antioxidants, which may lower the risks of chronic diseases significantly (6) while fighting against cardiovascular disorders (7).
- Antioxidants in olive oil also contribute to its strong anti-inflammatory properties, which keep chronic inflammation at bay, thereby preventing a number of serious diseases like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, Alzheimer’s, obesity, etc. (8)
- According to a large review of studies conducted on 841,000 people, olive oil is the only source of monounsaturated fatty acids that reduces the risks of stroke. (9)
- Many nutrients present in olive oil are effective in destroying harmful bacteria in our body (10). These antibacterial properties of the oil may even help in averting ailments like stomach ulcers and stomach cancer by eliminating the bacteria called Helicobacter pylori.
About Figaro Olive Oil
Although Figaro Olive Oil is a Spanish product, it has been extremely popular throughout India for the last few decades. From cooking to beauty practices, it claims to have a number of uses along with a ton of benefits. Here is an overview of the brand in its own words:
“With the legacy of 100 years, Figaro is one of the oldest olive oil brands in the Indian market. Every bottle of Figaro comes with an assurance of purity. Only the finest quality olive oil is used and great care is taken to ensure the oil retains all its nutritional benefits. Figaro is committed to quality and health and thus it’s constantly evolving to offer consumers with superior quality olive oil. Figaro Olive Oil is an edible oil that is suitable for all types of Indian and International cooking including sauteing, shallow frying, deep-frying, and tempering. It is loaded with multiple health benefits – works as a rich source of vitamin E, provides lots of antioxidants, maintains the cardio-circulatory system, regulates cholesterol level, and so on.”
Features of Figaro Olive Oil
- India’s most trusted olive brand
- Pure olive oil, zero preservatives, and chemicals
- Extracted from cold pressing the finest Spanish olives
- Imbibed with the natural goodness of pure olive oil
There are two types of Figaro Olive Oil – Figaro Pure Olive Oil and Figaro Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Pure Olive Oil is an excellent all-purpose cooking olive oil that imparts a delicate flavor to all dishes. Conversely, extra virgin olive oil has a superior flavor that is extracted from the finest olives and made from the first pressing with no additional refining, no heat or processing.
Rs. 295 for 200 ml., Rs. 575 for 500 ml., and Rs. 975 for 1 L.
Shelf Life and Availability
- Shelf life: 36 months
- Availability: Easily available both online and offline
The key ingredient used in Figaro Olive Oil is pure olive oil. It is free from argemone oil. Also, it contains trans-fatty acids not more than 0% by weight.
Olive oil can become cloudy and solid in temperature below 7-degree C. It becomes clear again when returns to room temperature.
Serving size: 1 tablespoon (14 gm.)
Servings per container (about): 33 cal
|Nutrients||Amount Per Serving||Amount Per 100 g|
|Energy||126 Kcal||900 Kcal|
|Protein||0 g||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||0 g||0 g|
|Total Fat||14 g||100 g|
|1. Saturated (total saturated fat content not more than 13% by weight)
4. Trans fat (total trans fat content not more than 0% by weight)
|Cholesterol||0 mg||0 mg|
|Sodium||0 mg||0 mg|
Figaro Olive Oil is not a significant source of dietary fiber, sugar, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron.
Look And Feel
Figaro Olive Oil comes in a dark green-colored tin container, which is fairly rectangular in shape. It has a wide opening at the top with a green screw cap lid to keep it covered. Even though the cap is tight enough to prevent spillage or leakage, the overall mechanism is not at all user-friendly. It is really difficult to pour the oil onto the palm without creating a mess as the opening of the bottle is pretty wide. If you be extremely careful while pouring the oil, you can still not avoid the mess around the opening of the bottle. In fact, you need to keep a tissue or paper towel handy in order to wipe off the excess oil around the mouth of the container after each use. In short, the packaging is absolutely not travel-friendly though it appears like quite a classy one.
The label around the body of the container contains necessary information about the oil. However, it does not contain any instruction for application or usage. The olive oil itself is a pale or light golden green-colored liquid, which turns light yellow once poured onto the palm. It is slightly thicker in consistency than regular coconut oil but has a very light non-sticky texture, which makes it easily spreadable. It has a nice mild scent, which should not bother even the sensitive noses.
What Does It Claim?
Figaro Olive Oil is an edible-grade olive oil made and packed in Spain. It is the best olive oil prepared from the finest olives grown in the Mediterranean. Being full of antioxidants and a rich source of vitamin E, it comes loaded with multiple health benefits. The oil helps in maintaining the health of the cardio-circulatory system, regulates cholesterol level, and so on.
What Does It Offer?
While the Figaro Olive oil is mentioned to be an edible-grade olive oil, we will stick only to its skin and hair benefits in this review. It is a pure treat for our skin and hair if used the right way. It is a completely natural product with no harmful chemical compounds in it. Massaging this olive oil every day into the skin makes it soft smooth, supple, and naturally glowing. Being lightweight and non-sticky, it is absorbed into the skin quickly. Moreover, it is enriched with fatty acids, which treat dry skin efficiently to give it a healthy and nourished appearance. The natural antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of the oil help in keeping the skin free from breakouts, blemishes, and marks. It also improves the elasticity of the skin and makes it youthful. Apart from using as a facial oil, Figaro olive oil can also be used for taking care of nail cuticles, keeping lips soft, removing makeup, and whole-body massage.
Figaro Olive oil is found to be is equally good for our hair. When massaged into the scalp gently, the slightly warmed oil nourishes it from inside, thereby reducing dryness, flakiness, dandruff, etc. to a great extent. Regular usage of this oil strengthens hair follicles and prevents them from falling at a rapid rate. It also deep conditions dry, frizzy, and damaged hair to make them softer, smoother, shinier, and bouncier after each application. The oil is also pretty helpful in repairing split ends. For people with a greasy scalp, a mixture of Figaro olive oil and coconut oil will work better.
However, if you have acne-prone skin, you might prefer extra virgin olive oil over this refined version to avert aggravation of your breakouts. Also, this is not a hair growth treatment and hence, you cannot expect regrowth of lost hair.
- Multi-purpose oil
- No chemical content
- Mild, lightweight, non-sticky, and non-irritant
- Loaded with antioxidants
- Suits all skin types
- Makes skin soft, smooth and supple
- Adds a natural healthy glow to the skin
- Keeps breakouts, blemishes, and marks away
- Prevents premature aging
- Removes makeup efficiently
- Conditions hair to make it soft and smooth
- Strengthens hair follicles
- Reduces scalp issues like itchiness, dryness, dandruff, etc.
- Repairs damaged hair and split ends
- Easily available
- Contains only refined olive oil instead of extra virgin olive oil
- The packaging is not travel-friendly
- A little expensive
It is a versatile product to keep in your beauty stash. If you want to give your skin and hair a natural health boost, this is the right thing for you.
Figaro Olive Oil is one of the most popular olive oils available in the Indian market. It is a Spanish product made by cold-pressing the finest olives. The oil is 100% pure with zero preservatives and chemicals present in it. Being imbibed with the natural goodness of pure olive oil, it offers a host of benefits for our health, skin, and hair.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which Olive Oil is the Healthiest?
Extra virgin olive oil is considered the best as it retains the maximum amounts of antioxidants and bioactive compounds from olives due to less processing. It also has a high smoke point, which makes it a safe choice for cooking.
Is There Any Side Effect of Figaro Olive Oil?
Figaro Olive Oil is generally safe for us. However, overuse of the product may lead to certain adverse effects like skin rashes, allergic reactions, blackheads, diarrhea, gallstones, etc.
Can Figaro Olive Oil Whiten My Skin?
When mixed with fresh lemon juice and applied to the skin regularly, Figaro Olive Oil may brighten and whiten your skin complexion naturally.
Can I Use Figaro Olive Oil to Remove Makeup?
As Figaro Olive Oil is natural and pure olive oil, it can be used for removing makeup without any side effects.
- “What are the Health Benefits of Olive Oil“, MedicalNewsToday.com
- “Oil, Olive, Salad or Cooking“, NutritionData.self.com
- “Dietary Factors that Promote or Retard Inflammation“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Dietary Intake of Fatty Acids and Serum C-Reactive Protein in Japanese“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Mediterranean Dietary Traditions for the Molecular Treatment of Human Cancer: Anti-Oncogenic Actions of the Main Olive Oil’s Monounsaturated Fatty Acid Oleic Acid (18:1n-9)“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “The Phenolic Compounds of Olive Oil: Structure, Biological Activity and Beneficial Effects on Human Health“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Phytochemistry: Ibuprofen-Like Activity in Extra-Virgin Olive Oil“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Molecular Mechanisms of Inflammation. Anti-Inflammatory Benefits of Virgin Olive Oil and the Phenolic Compound Oleocanthal“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Monounsaturated Fatty Acids, Olive Oil, and Health Status: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Cohort Studies“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Phenolic Compounds in Olive Oil: Antioxidant, Health, and Organoleptic Activities According to Their Chemical Structure“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov