Natural oils are perfect for us. And if it is as beneficial as olive oil, you can undoubtedly reap fantastic health and appearance benefits. In this article, we will review one of the best olive oils available in the market, i.e., Figaro Olive Oil. If you are fond of natural oils, you must have heard about them or used them already. So, does it live up to its claim? Let’s discover here.
What is Olive Oil?
Olives are the fruits of the olive tree (Olea europaea), a traditional crop of the Mediterranean Basin belonging to the Oleaceae family. However, the cultivation of olives has been rising steadily worldwide for the last few decades. Olive oil is a liquid fat obtained by pressing whole olives. It is usually rich in antioxidants, monounsaturated fatty acids, and plenty of other healthful nutrients, which make it a popular global choice—however, the composition of the ingredient changes based on the cultivar, altitude, and extraction process. Olive oil is an indispensable part of Mediterranean cooking, mainly used for frying and salad dressings. Besides, it is also widely used in producing pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, soaps, etc. Olive oil is also used as a fuel for traditional lamps. (1)
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) is the best type of olive oil, which undergoes the least processing. It has favorable flavor characteristics with a slightly bitter taste. The amount of antioxidants present in EVOO is the highest.
Health Benefits of Olive Oil
Now, before we start talking about Figaro products, here is a quick brief of the health benefits offered by olive oil:
- The fatty acid content of olive oil is mainly composed of monounsaturated fat called oleic acid (73%) and polyunsaturated fats called omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids (11%). Only the remaining 14% is saturated fat. (2). Oleic acid in the oil may help reduce inflammation and protect against certain types of cancer (3), (4), (5).
- Olive oil comes loaded with potent and biologically active antioxidants, which may significantly lower the risks of chronic diseases (6) while fighting against cardiovascular disorders (7).
- Antioxidants in olive oil also contribute to its potent anti-inflammatory properties, which keep chronic inflammation at bay, thereby preventing several severe diseases like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, Alzheimer’s, obesity, etc. (8)
- According to an extensive review of studies conducted on 841,000 people, olive oil is the only source of monounsaturated fatty acids that reduce stroke risks. (9)
- Many nutrients present in olive oil are effective in destroying harmful bacteria in our bodies (10). These antibacterial properties of the oil may even help in averting ailments like stomach ulcers and stomach cancer by eliminating the bacteria called Helicobacter pylori.
About Figaro Olive Oil
Although Figaro Olive Oil is a Spanish product, it has been trendy throughout India for decades. From cooking to beauty practices, it claims to have several uses and many benefits. Here is an overview of the brand in its own words:
“With a legacy of 100 years, Figaro is one of the oldest olive oil brands in the Indian market. Every bottle of Figaro comes with an assurance of purity. Only the finest quality olive oil is used, and great care is taken to ensure it retains all its nutritional benefits. Figaro is committed to quality and health; thus, it constantly evolves to offer consumers superior-quality olive oil. Figaro Olive Oil is an edible oil suitable for all types of Indian and International cooking, including sauteing, shallow frying, deep-frying, and tempering. It has multiple health benefits – it works as a rich source of vitamin E, provides lots of antioxidants, maintains the cardio-circulatory system, regulates cholesterol level, and so on.”
Features of Figaro Olive Oil
- India’s most trusted olive brand
- Pure olive oil, zero preservatives and chemicals
- Extracted from cold pressing the finest Spanish olives
- Imbibed with the natural goodness of pure olive oil
There are two types of Figaro Olive Oil – Figaro Pure Olive Oil and Figaro Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Pure Olive Oil is an excellent all-purpose cooking olive oil that imparts a delicate flavor to all dishes. Conversely, extra virgin olive oil has a superior flavor that is extracted from the finest olives and made from the first pressing with no additional refining, no heat or processing.
INR 850 (500 ML)
Shelf Life and Availability
- Shelf life: 36 months
- Availability: Easily available both online and offline
The key ingredient used in Figaro Olive Oil is pure olive oil. It is free from argemone oil. Also, it contains trans-fatty acids not more than 0% by weight.
Olive oil can become cloudy and solid in temperature below 7-degree C. It becomes clear again when returns to room temperature.
Serving size: 1 tablespoon (14 gm.)
Servings per container (about): 33 cal
|Amount Per Serving
|Amount Per 100 g
|1. Saturated (total saturated fat content not more than 13% by weight)
4. Trans fat (total trans fat content not more than 0% by weight)
Figaro Olive Oil is not a significant source of dietary fiber, sugar, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron.
Look And Feel
Figaro Olive Oil comes in a dark green-colored tin container, which is relatively rectangular. It has a wide opening at the top with a green screw cap lid to keep it covered. Even though the cap is tight enough to prevent spillage or leakage, the overall mechanism is not user-friendly. Piquing the oil onto the palm without creating a mess is challenging, as the bottle’s opening is pretty broad. If you are extremely careful while pouring the oil, you can still not avoid the mess around the bottle’s opening. It would be best to keep a tissue or paper towel handy to wipe off the excess oil around the mouth of the container after each use. In short, the packaging is not travel-friendly, though it appears to be quite a classy one.
The label around the container’s body contains necessary information about the oil. However, it does not contain any instructions for application or usage. The olive oil is a pale or light golden green-colored liquid that turns light yellow once poured onto the palm. It is slightly thicker in consistency than regular coconut oil but has a very light, non-sticky texture, which makes it easily spreadable. It has a pleasant, mild scent, which should not bother even the sensitive noses.
What Does It Claim?
Figaro Olive Oil is an edible-grade olive oil made and packed in Spain. It is the best olive oil prepared from the finest olives in the Mediterranean. Being full of antioxidants and a rich source of vitamin E, it comes loaded with multiple health benefits. The oil helps maintain the health of the cardio-circulatory system, regulates cholesterol levels, and so on.
What Does It Offer?
While the Figaro Olive oil is considered edible-grade, we will stick only to its skin and hair benefits in this review. It is a pure treat for our skin and hair if used correctly. It is an entirely natural product with no harmful chemical compounds in it. Massaging this olive oil daily into the skin makes it soft, smooth, supple, and naturally glowing. Being lightweight and non-sticky, it is absorbed into the skin quickly.
Moreover, it is enriched with fatty acids, efficiently treating dry skin to give it a healthy and nourishing appearance. The oil’s natural antimicrobial and antioxidant properties help free the skin from breakouts, blemishes, and marks. It also improves the elasticity of the skin and makes it youthful. Apart from being used as a facial oil, Figaro olive oil can also be used for taking care of nail cuticles, keeping lips soft, removing makeup, and giving whole-body massages.
Figaro Olive oil is found to be equally suitable for our hair. When massaged gently into the scalp, the slightly warmed oil nourishes it from the inside, thereby reducing dryness, flakiness, dandruff, etc., to a great extent. Regularly using this oil strengthens hair follicles and prevents them from falling rapidly. It also deep conditions dry, frizzy, and damaged hair to make it softer, smoother, shinier, and bouncier after each application. The oil is also pretty helpful in repairing split ends. A mixture of Figaro olive oil and coconut oil will work better for people with a greasy scalp.
However, if you have acne-prone skin, you might prefer extra virgin olive oil over this refined version to avert aggravation of your breakouts. Also, this is not a hair growth treatment. Hence, you cannot expect regrowth of lost hair.
- Multi-purpose oil
- No chemical content
- Mild, lightweight, non-sticky, and non-irritant
- Loaded with antioxidants
- It suits all skin types
- Makes skin soft, smooth and supple
- Adds a natural, healthy glow to the skin
- Keeps breakouts, blemishes, and marks away
- Prevents premature aging
- Removes makeup efficiently
- Conditions hair to make it soft and smooth
- Strengthens hair follicles
- Reduces scalp issues like itchiness, dryness, dandruff, etc.
- Repairs damaged hair and split ends
- Easily available
- Contains only refined olive oil instead of extra virgin olive oil
- The packaging is not travel-friendly
- A little expensive
It is a versatile product to keep in your beauty stash. This is right for you if you want to give your skin and hair a natural health boost.
Figaro Olive Oil is one of the most popular olive oils available in the Indian market. It is a Spanish product made by cold-pressing the finest olives. The oil is 100% pure with zero preservatives and chemicals present in it. Being imbibed with the natural goodness of pure olive oil, it offers a host of benefits for our health, skin, and hair.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which Olive Oil is the Healthiest?
Extra virgin olive oil is considered the best as it retains the maximum amounts of antioxidants and bioactive compounds from olives due to less processing. It also has a high smoke point, making it a safe cooking choice.
Is There Any Side Effect of Figaro Olive Oil?
Figaro Olive Oil is generally safe for us. However, overuse of the product may lead to specific adverse effects like skin rashes, allergic reactions, blackheads, diarrhea, gallstones, etc.
Can Figaro Olive Oil Whiten My Skin?
Figaro Olive Oil may naturally brighten and whiten your skin complexion when mixed with fresh lemon juice and regularly applied to the skin.
Can I Use Figaro Olive Oil to Remove Makeup?
Figaro Olive Oil is natural and pure olive oil, so that it can remove makeup without any side effects.
- “What are the Health Benefits of Olive Oil,” MedicalNewsToday.com
- “Oil, Olive, Salad or Cooking,” NutritionData.self.com
- “Dietary Factors that Promote or Retard Inflammation,” ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Dietary Intake of Fatty Acids and Serum C-Reactive Protein in Japanese,” ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Mediterranean Dietary Traditions for the Molecular Treatment of Human Cancer: Anti-Oncogenic Actions of the Main Olive Oil’s Monounsaturated Fatty Acid Oleic Acid (18:1n-9)“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “The Phenolic Compounds of Olive Oil: Structure, Biological Activity and Beneficial Effects on Human Health,” ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Phytochemistry: Ibuprofen-Like Activity in Extra-Virgin Olive Oil,” ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Molecular Mechanisms of Inflammation. Anti-Inflammatory Benefits of Virgin Olive Oil and the Phenolic Compound Oleocanthal“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Monounsaturated Fatty Acids, Olive Oil, and Health Status: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Cohort Studies,” ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Phenolic Compounds in Olive Oil: Antioxidant, Health, and Organoleptic Activities According to Their Chemical Structure,” ncbi.nlm.nih.gov