Healthy hair is nothing but the reflection of a clean and healthy scalp. If you want long, strong and beautiful hair, you have to ensure that your scalp is perfectly clean, sufficiently hydrated, and properly nourished. Here comes the importance of scalp exfoliation. Just like the skin all around our body, the skin above our hairline also needs to be exfoliated once in a while in order to keep our locks healthy. In this post, we have discussed the importance of scalp exfoliation and how it can be practiced at home easily:
Why Is Scalp Exfoliation Necessary?
We all know how essential it is to exfoliate our skin in a periodic manner. Likewise, the exfoliation of our scalp is also vital as it impacts the health of our locks in the long run. Here are the benefits that one can enjoy by exfoliating her scalp consistently:
Also Read – How to Exfoliate Your Skin and How Often Should you do it ? Here
- It helps in eliminating dead cells, dirt, dust, excess sebum / oils, etc. from the scalp perfectly and makes it squeaky clean so that it can breathe in oxygen.
- It removes all sorts of buildups including the residues of hair styling products (hair sprays, hair gels, hair serums, etc.) from the scalp and keeps the hair follicles unclogged.
- It is essential for preventing the dehydration of scalp, which can help us stay away from flakiness, dandruff, and itchy scalp.
- It protects our scalp from breakouts (acne, pimples, whiteheads, etc.) and infections so that our hair remains healthy always.
- As mentioned earlier, it can keep all hair problems at bay, thereby making our scalp healthy, which makes hair stronger and averts premature hair loss eventually.
- Last but not the least; it stimulates the follicles in our scalp and increases blood flow significantly. These result in a fast and healthy growth of hair.
Also Read – How Often Should You Exfoliate Your Face Here
How To Exfoliate Your Scalp At Home?
While the pros of scalp exfoliation are quite extensive, the process itself is absolutely easy. You do not need to burn a hole in your pocket to buy expensive scalp scrubs or exfoliators. There are some super easy homemade recipes that can help you exfoliate your scalp much faster in a cost-effective way. Check them out below:
- Brown Sugar + Shampoo
As cleansing is one of the indispensable parts of exfoliation, you can exfoliate your scalp while cleansing your hair with shampoo. For this purpose, you will need just a tablespoon of brown sugar and your favorite shampoo (quantity should depend on the length and volume of your hair). Simply mix them together and apply to your scalp. Exfoliate gently with your fingertips in small circular motions and continue for 5 minutes. Rinse it off with plain cold water.
- Cornmeal + Essential Oil + Clarifying Shampoo
The cornmeal-shampoo scrub can also help you exfoliate your scalp and cleanse it thoroughly at the same time. However, make sure that you replace your regular shampoo with a clarifying one. Take (1/4) cup of cornmeal in a small mixing bowl, pour required amount (as per the length and volume of your hair) of clarifying shampoo into it, add a few drops of each peppermint oil and tea tree oil to the bowl, and mix everything together. Massage your scalp with this mixture in small circular motion and wash off after 10 minutes.
Also Read – Homemade Sugar Scrub- Exfoliate Your Skin Naturally Here
- Brown Sugar + Essential Oil + Conditioner
Scalp exfoliation can also be done at the time of hair conditioning. You will need to prepare a thick scrub by blending 2 tablespoons of brown sugar with 2 tablespoons of your favorite conditioner. Add a few drops of essential oil (as per your preference) to it and apply all over your scalp. Massage gently with your fingertips in a circular motion and keep doing it for 5 to 10 minutes. Wash off with tepid water followed by a cold-water rinse.
- Brown Sugar + Coconut Oil + Essential Oil
If you want to keep scalp exfoliation separate from shampooing and conditioning, opt for this simple homemade scrub recipe. Make a thick paste by combining 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and a few drops of your favorite essential oil (jasmine / lavender/ tea tree), and exfoliate your scalp with it gently for 5 minutes. Let the paste sit for 15 minutes and then, rinse with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
- Brown Sugar + Olive Oil
A brown sugar-olive oil mix is also pretty good for exfoliating our scalp. Mix (1/4) cup of brown sugar with (1/4) cup of olive oil, and massage your scalp thoroughly with it for 5 minutes. Move your fingertips in small circles and be gentle during the whole process. Wait for a couple of minutes and then, wash off with shampoo, conditioner, and lukewarm water.
If you are into too much hair styling, weekly scalp exfoliation is a must for you. Otherwise, you can go for it once or twice a month. If you ever find a particular scrub is irritating your scalp, switch to another option immediately.