You must have already heard about lightening skin tone with creams, serums, or gels. But using oil for making the skin tone lighter – is not it surprising? Well, the AuraVedic Skin Lightening Oil is known to offer exactly the same by resolving several common skin woes of women naturally and efficiently. The oil has earned a lot of rave reviews for its magical ingredients and amazing benefits. So, does it live up to its claim? Let us have a look at the AuraVedic Skin Lightening Oil review along with the details of the practice of skin lightening.
What is Skin Lightening?
Skin lightening is a cosmetic practice, which is also popularly known as skin bleaching or skin whitening. It aims at turning the skin tone lighter and/or evening it out by decreasing the production of melanin (a natural skin pigment) in melanocytes (pigment-producing skin cells). The procedure makes use of certain chemical substances for lightening the dark areas (spots or patches) on the skin or sometimes even achieving an overall lighter complexion. Here are the most desirable cosmetic effects of a typical lightening treatment on the skin that can be enjoyed through products or procedure (1):
- Reduced hyperpigmentation
- Minimized discoloration from liver spots, sun spots, and age spots
- Faded acne marks and scars
- Less appearance of melasma and freckles
- Decreased post-inflammatory marks caused by eczema and psoriasis
- Even skin tone
Skin lightening does not offer any health benefits. Moreover, the outcomes of the practice are not guaranteed and sometimes you may also experience serious complications.
How Does Skin Lightening Products Work?
Skin lightening products actually work at the surface level of the skin and following are the methods of their working (2):
1. Reduce Pigment Concentration
The color of our skin depends on the concentration of melanin present in it, which is again determined by genetics. Melanin is the natural skin pigment produced by cells in the skin called melanocytes. Darker skin has more melanin and vice versa. The chemicals used in skin lightening product formulations either slow down the process of melanin production or reduces the concentration of pigment by decreasing the number of melanocytes. Both result in lighter skin and even tone.
2. Increase Exfoliation of Skin
As we age, the natural exfoliation process of the skin decelerates. When dead cells cover the outermost layer of the skin, it looks unhealthy, dull, and even dark. Skin lightening products may work by stimulating the procedure of skin exfoliation, which helps in shedding older skin cells as well as boosting cell turnover. As a result, the fresh layer of cells starts showing up on the surface and the skin looks lighter.
Ingredients of Skin Lightening Products
Skin lightening products are available in different names like skin lighteners, skin brighteners, bleaching creams, fading creams, etc. Most of them contain one or more natural ingredients or chemical substances that can bleach the skin and lighten its color effectively. Traditional skin lightening product formulations comprise hydroquinone (tocopheryl acetate, tocopherol), retinoid (retinol, tretinoin), glabridin (licorice extract), kojic acid (mushroom extract), arbutin, azelaic acid, glycolic acid, etc.
Risks of Skin Lightening Products
Skin lightening has no significance from a medical standpoint. If you still want to consider commercial chemical-based skin lightening products, consider the risks associated with them first. Many chemicals used in these products have proven to either be toxic or have questionable safety profiles. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) also declared that over-the-counter (OTC) skin lightening products are not recognized as safe and effective (3). Check out the adverse effects these products may cause to you:
- Mercury Toxicity: Though mercury has been banned as a skin lightening agent in the U.S., it is still used widely in other countries. Its presence in skin lightening products may cause issues like numbness, fatigue, light sensitivity, high blood pressure, nephrotic syndrome, and even neurologic symptoms (memory loss, tremor, irritability, etc.). (4)
- Contact Dermatitis: Some ingredients in skin lightening products have been found to cause inflammation of the skin upon contact. This can give you mild to severe symptoms including redness, tenderness, dryness, scaly skin, hives, swelling, itching, burning, blisters, skin ulcers, and so on.
- Exogenous Ochronosis (EO): Long-term use of skin lightening products containing hydroquinone often leads to this skin disorder. In this condition, the skin develops blue-black pigmentation on large areas of the body or on even the entire body. (5)
- Steroid Acne: If you continuously use skin lightening products with corticosteroids as its ingredient, you may end up having steroid acne. This is characterized by the appearance of whiteheads, blackheads, red bumps, red lumps (large and painful), acne scars, etc. on the chest, back, arms, and other parts of the body.
Why Use AuraVedic Skin Lightening Oil?
AuraVedic Skin Lightening Oil is a wonderful alternative to all those harmful synthetic skin lightening treatments. This 100% natural oil is specially formulated to lighten dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and discoloration without causing any adverse effect on the skin. It has luxurious saffron, turmeric, and winter cherry that work cumulatively to protect the skin from sun damage and pollution by restoring its natural barrier. The natural extracts also help maintain an even skin tone and give the skin a smooth and clear appearance. In addition, it resolves existing skin problems, such as dull, patchy, and sunburnt skin. The oil can be used on the face and entire body irrespective of the skin type. We have discussed the product in detail below.
About The Brand ‘AuraVedic’
AuraVedic has been producing pure, natural, and effective skincare from plants for the last few years. Here is a highlight of the brand for those who are still not aware of it:
“Auravedic is a natural beauty brand which sources and uses only the best local natural ingredients. We are inspired by the ancient knowledge of the Vedas and use this knowledge to harness the cleansing and cosmetic properties of natural ingredients. We use the purest natural processes and ingredients so as to bring the body, mind, and soul into a harmonious balance. We respect all life and are committed to minimizing our impact on the environment. Auravedic today works with some of the most respected labs in the country along with renowned Ayurvedic experts and wellness professionals. All of our products have been perfected after thorough consumer feedback & research; and we continue to learn from our customers, developing unique products that consumers require. As a result Auravedic today is gaining popularity for the highest concentration of natural ingredients and for the effectiveness of their performance.”
About AuraVedic Skin Lightening Oil
Rs. 350 for 100 ml.
2 years from the date of packaging
It is not available offline. You can purchase it from certain online beauty stores only.
Saffron oil, Sandalwood Oil, Turmeric / Curcuma Longa oil, Curcumin oil, Winter Cherry / Withania Somnifera extract, Licorice extract, Orange oil, Chamomile oil, Piper Betel Extract, Laksha Oil, Cedrus Deodara oil, Saussurea Lappa oil, Katuki oil, Rasana extract, Shatawa oil, Vitamin E, Coconut oil, Lime oil, and Allium Cepa extract
Look And Feel
AuraVedic Skin Lightening Oil comes in a tall, rectangular, transparent bottle made of sturdy plastic. It has a wide round mouth, which is secured by a white plastic stopper. The inner protective stopper is again covered by a golden metal screw cap. The bottle has labels on both of its sides with all necessary information printed in detail. It is a travel-friendly packaging that also allows us to see how much product is left inside. However, you may end up pouring excess oil during application due to the wide opening of the bottle. The product is a lightweight, non-sticky oil of medium consistency that gets absorbed into the skin almost instantly without leaving any oily residue or causing any heavy feeling.
If you notice carefully, you can see a number of saffron strands floating in the pale yellow-colored oil. It also has a mild citrus fragrance, which is refreshing enough.
What Does It Claim?
AuraVedic Skin Lightening Oil is a natural, herbal, and cruelty-free product. “The powerful skin oil provides the purest, most natural, and effective way of reducing dark spots and pigmentation delivering essential oils into your skin’s upper layers. Revealing lighter, brighter, radiant, and youthful-looking skin. It is also free of parabens, SLS, harmful chemicals, and colors.”
What Does It Offer?
AuraVedic Skin Lightening Oil is free of skin-damaging substances like chemicals, artificial colors, parabens, and SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate), which are very common in regular synthetic oils and other skincare products available in the market. Rather, it is loaded with skin-friendly herbs, which make it an amazing natural solution for lightening and brightening of the skin, tan and discoloration, uneven skin tone, pigmentation, and dark spots. It also contains coconut oil and vitamin E, which restore as well as lock the natural moisture of the skin and keep it hydrated, soft, and smooth. Being very light, it penetrates the skin easily to provide maximum hydration. Instead of blocking pores or causing breakouts, it soothes inflammation effectively. It is a non-sticky oil with a refreshing citrus smell that uplifts mood instantly. Whether using it as a morning potion or a bedtime treatment, you can feel the difference from the very first application and the skin becomes clearer and healthier within a week upon regular usage. It is a blessing for all types of skin.
Pour a few drops of oil onto your palm, apply it to your clean skin (both face and body), and massage gently in the upward direction by moving your fingertips in a circular motion. Leave on to absorb into the skin. Do not wash or wipe for at least 2 hours for the maximum benefits. Repeat the procedure twice (morning and evening) every day.
- An ultra-light, non-sticky oil that does not give a greasy or heavy feeling
- Made of all-natural herbal ingredients, especially sandalwood, saffron, and turmeric
- Great for all skin types (including oily skin)
- Gets absorbed into the skin super fast
- Provides sufficient hydration to the skin to keep it moisturized
- De-tans the skin within a couple of weeks only
- Neither clogs skin pores nor causes breakouts
- Gives a smooth and even-toned skin
- Lightens and brightens the skin
- Makes the skin nourished, well-balanced, and healthy
- Fades away dark spots, blemishes, hyperpigmentation (surface level only), and discoloration
- A refreshing and uplifting aroma
- 100% vegan and cruelty-free product
- Doesn’t contain parabens, SLS, harmful chemical compounds, and synthetic colors
- Doesn’t cause allergies, irritations, redness, or any other side effects
- Neat and travel-friendly packaging with all necessary information and a detailed list of ingredients printed on it
- Reasonably priced
- A little goes a long way
- Does not have positive effects on very dark spots and deep pigmentation
- Availability is limited
- The wide mouth of the bottle might cause product wastage at times
It is a must-have skincare product for all those who are struggling with uneven skin tone, blemishes, light pigmentation, and other similar issues. Go for this one if you want to treat your skin naturally and in an affordable way.
Skin lightening (skin bleaching or skin whitening) is a cosmetic practice, which lightens skin tone and/or evens it out by using certain chemical substances or natural ingredients. It reduces hyperpigmentation, minimizes discoloration, fades acne marks and scars, decreases post-inflammatory marks, and gives an overall lighter complexion. Traditional skin lightening formulations work by reducing the concentration of pigment in the skin or increasing its natural exfoliation process. Many of them have proven to be toxic and declared not to be a safe and effective by the FDA. Being a 100% natural oil with no adverse effects, AuraVedic Skin Lightening Oil works as a wonderful alternative to all those harmful synthetic skin lightening treatments. This specially formulated oil has luxurious saffron, turmeric, and winter cherry that work cumulatively to protect the skin from sun damage and pollution by restoring its natural barrier while maintaining an even skin tone and giving the skin a smooth and clear appearance. It can be used on the face and entire body irrespective of the skin type. Though the oil is not easily available and may not be very much effective in treating dark spots and hyperpigmentation. It is a must-have product for all those who are struggling with uneven skin tone, blemishes, light pigmentation, and other similar issues.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Palm Oil Lighten the Skin?
Yes, palm oil contains plenty of vitamin A and vitamin E both of which are known to make the skin tone lighter upon regular use.
Which Ayurvedic Oil is Good for Skin Whitening?
A special oil concoction called Nalpamaradi Thailam is known to be the best natural skin illuminator in Ayurveda. The miracle oil not only lightens the skin but also protects it from sun damage without causing any adverse effect.
What Can I Mix with Shea Butter to Lighten My Skin?
Prepare a thorough mixture by adding 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil with 3 tablespoons of melted pure shea butter and use it regularly on your skin to make it significantly lighter over time.
Which Vitamin is Good for Skin Lightening?
The antioxidant vitamin C is considered the best vitamin for skin lightening as it works as a natural bleaching agent and gives a glowing skin.
How Can I Maintain My Skin Whitening?
In order to prevent your lighter skin complexion from darkening, you must get enough sleep, drink adequate water, wear sunscreen religiously, keep your skin well-moisturized, exfoliate your skin 2-3 times weekly, and practice facial steaming.
- “Side Effects and Precautions of Skin Bleaching“, Healthline.com
- “Does Olive Oil Benefit Skin Lightening?“, Healthline.com
- “Rulemaking History for OTC Skin Bleaching Drug Products“, FDA.gov
- “Mercury Poisoning Linked to Skin Lightening Creams“, VDH,virginia.gov
- “Exogenous Ochronosis“, NCBI.nlm.nih.gov