Delicious, juicy fruits are not only good for our health but also excellent for our skin. If you are looking for a smooth, youthful, and glowing face, try transferring the goodness of fruits to its skin with a DIY fruit facial. Fresh fruits extracts are known to enrich the skin on the face while enhancing its health and appearance to a great extent. And the best thing about a fruit facial is that you do not need to visit a parlor to get it done. Just do it anytime right from the comfort of your home and that too in a few simple steps without spending a lot of money. Here are 8 steps to do a fruit facial at home:
Why Use Fruits for Facial?
Enriched with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, and fatty acids, fruits are considered as the best natural ingredients for DIY facial treatments. But what makes them so beneficial for it? Let’s go through all the factors below:
- They are pure and toxin-free ingredients from Mother Nature
- Offers skin-friendly nutrients to pamper the delicate facial skin
- Removes excess oils, dead cells, and impurities
- Cleanses skin pores deeply to treat acne and breakouts
- Rejuvenates the skin by boosting blood circulation throughout it
- Improves the tone and texture of the skin
- Promotes anti-aging by aiding in new cell generation
- Adds a beautiful natural glow to the skin
- Freshen up the skin by de-stressing it with their aroma
- Contain no harsh chemicals or preservatives like commercial facial products
- Suitable even for the most sensitive skin
- Have no risks or side effects
- Much cheaper than store-bought products
Read Also – Best Gold Facials for Oily Skin – Top 7 Picks
How to Do Fruit Facial at Home?
So, here is a simple and easy step-by-step procedure to give your face a fruity treat from the comfort of your home:
1. Do a Thorough Cleansing
Yes, you may wash your face with a gentle soap or any other mild facial cleanser. But it is recommended that you make use of cold raw milk for this purpose. Being one of the best natural cleansers, raw milk can keep the pores dirt-free and make the skin shiny (1). For the best results, prepare a natural cleansing solution by mixing some fresh lime juice and a bit of regular salt with milk. Dip a cotton ball in it and wipe away all grime from your face by rubbing the ball in an upward circular motion. Also, wash your face with lukewarm water once you are done with the cleansing.
Being highly acidic, lime juice has astringent qualities that help in reducing sebum production in the skin. The citric acid in the ingredient may treat non-inflammatory acne like blackheads by breaking down dead cells. Lime also has strong antimicrobial and antifungal properties, which keep inflammatory acne-causing P. acnes bacteria as well as candida rashes away. (2)
2. Exfoliate Your Face
Without proper exfoliation, your fruit facial will be of no result. So, prepare a gentle homemade scrub by blending oatmeal, lemon peel powder, and rose water. The anti-inflammatory oatmeal treats dry, irritated skin by sloughing dead cells off the skin surface, thereby healing the itchiness associated with it (3). On the other hand, lemon peel powder and rose water moisturize and rejuvenate the skin to give it a healthy appearance. Gently exfoliate your face with this mixture for 4 to 5 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. You can also replace the lemon peel powder with raw milk or fresh yogurt and create an uneven paste to use on your face.
Yogurt or milk will hydrate, moisturize, and nourish the skin well after a deep exfoliation. A mixture of baking soda and water may also help in exfoliating the face efficiently.
3. Lighten the Skin Tone
Now, it is time to lighten up your skin tone a little bit. Nothing is better than pure honey for this purpose. The antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties of the ingredient take overall care of the skin while making it lighter and adding a healthy glow to it (4). Hence, take a spoonful of pure, raw, organic honey and rub it on your facial skin so that it gets a slight bleaching effect and becomes somewhat lighter. After 10 to 15 minutes, wash your face with plain water.
Read Also – How to Remove Facial Hair Naturally at Home
4. Unclog the Skin Pores
Opening up the facial skin pores is also essential for making the most of a fruit facial. Facial steaming is one of the most effective DIY treatments for this purpose, which not only unclogs skin pores instantly but also nourishes the skin and gives a luxurious feeling. Take some clean water in a deep saucepan and boil it properly. After turning off the heat set the pan aside for a maximum of 5 minutes. Then, cover your head along with your face with a towel and steam your face by leaning over the saucepan for 10-15 minutes. For added benefits, add dried herbs (chamomile, rosemary, etc.) and essential oils to your steam (eucalyptus, lavender, orange, geranium, etc.).
Facial steaming offers deep cleansing. Besides, it promotes blood circulation, removes dead cells, releases trapped sebum, eliminates acne, hydrates the skin, and improves the permeability of the skin for better absorption of skincare products. This leads to a healthy and naturally glowing complexion. (5)
5. Go for a Face Massage
Next, give your face a gentle massage with a mixed fruit pack. You can prepare it by reducing some bananas, papayas, and strawberries to smooth pulp and blending a little honey as well as milk with the mashed fruits. Massage your face slowly with this creamy mixture at least for 5 minutes and then wash off with fresh cold water. Facial massage is an amazing way to relax the facial muscles while enhancing blood flow in the skin and toning it up. Moreover, being packed with antioxidants, enzymes, and other skin-friendly nutrients, these fruits may help moisturize, nourish, and invigorate your skin from within.
According to a study published by Japanese researchers, massaging our facial skin with a commercial face massage roller can increase microcirculation in the skin. It also improves the process of vasodilation in long run by widening blood vessels in the skin. (6)
6. Get the Fruit Facial
While choosing the fruits for your homemade facial, make sure that you keep the unique requirements of your skin in mind. We are giving a general fruit facial choice here that would suit almost all types of skin. Take a ripe banana or a seasoned tomato, mash it thoroughly and add a few drops of lemon juice to it. Blend them well and refrigerate the mixture for half an hour. After that, mix a few drops of honey to it and apply the smooth paste all over the skin of your face and neck. Wait for 15 to 20 minutes. Then, rinse away with fresh cold water. Tomato will improve the cell repair capacity of the skin (7) while banana will enhance its elasticity by combating aging (8), thus providing you with a perfect healthy radiance.
7. Moisturize the Skin
Follow up the facial with a nourishing cucumber pack. Just convert a cucumber into a smooth paste and apply it to your face and neck thoroughly. It will provide nourishment to your skin and keep it moisturized for long.
8. Tone It Up
Finally, tone up your skin with the help of a homemade toner. You may prepare it by combining the juices of cucumber and lemon. Wipe your face with a cotton ball soaked in this mixture and discover an amazingly beautiful face!
Post-Facial Care Tips to Follow
Once done with your fruit facial, make sure to take care of your skin in the following ways:
- Wait until your skin becomes warm with your pores look healthy and refreshed
- Stay away from washing and rubbing your skin up to 2 hours after the facial
- You can rinse your face with plain cold water if it feels too oily after the procedure
- Steer clear of plucking your eyebrows from your sensitive post-facial skin
- Do not go out in the sun or apply makeup immediately after the facial
- Stick to plain water or natural face wash for cleansing your face up to 1-2 days after the facial
What Else to Know About DIY Fruit Facial?
Finally, here are all the dos and don’ts that you should know about before taking a plunge into DIY fruit facial:
- Choose the right facial cleanser based on your skin type. The wrong choice of cleanser can make dry skin even drier or increase the oiliness of oily skin largely.
- While exfoliating your skin, be as gentle as possible. Otherwise, you may end up damaging your skin.
- Never ever skip the step that involves the unclogging of the pores. If your pores remain clogged, the facial will not work.
- It is always good to use only fingertips for massaging the delicate skin of the face.
- Pick fruits depending on the nature of your skin. Dry-skinned beauties should stay away from lemon, tomato, etc. at all costs.
- No matter how oily your skin is, moisturizing and toning right after the facial is a must.
- Make sure that you do not go for a facial more than once a week.
Read Also – The Truth About Vampire Facials
A fruit facial at home involves only a few simple and easy steps. Practicing it once in a while can improve the tone, texture, and health of your skin significantly. It induces all the benefits of nutrient-rich fruits in your skin to give it a natural glow boost. Following some dos and don’ts regarding the post-facial care is also essential to make the most out of it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which Fruits Can Be Applied on the Face?
Some of the most common fruits applied on the face include banana, tomato, lemon, apple, cucumber, pineapple, strawberries, orange, etc.
What are the Side Effects of Facial?
Practicing facial by following a wrong method or undergoing it too frequently can cause a number of adverse effects on your skin. These are redness, irritation, blotchiness, dryness, breakouts, scarring, etc.
Is It Good to Put Ice on Your Face?
Putting ice on the face can do a lot of good to its skin. It soothes pimples, relieves sunburns, reduces inflammation, numbs pain, boosts circulation, prevents wrinkles, and so on.
Can We Apply Apple on the Face?
An apple face mask can leave your skin soft, smooth, and supple by treating issues like acne, breakouts, blemishes, etc. successfully. Prepare a uniform mix by mixing grated apple with raw honey and apply it to your skin for 15 minutes.
How Long Does the Effect of Facial Last?
The glowing effect of facial lasts for around 48 to 72 hours.
- “Effect of Milk Cleansing and All-in-One Serum on the Facial Skin“, AJECR.org
- “Does Applying Lemon on Your Face Help or Hurt Your Skin?“, Healthline.com
- “Anti-inflammatory Activities of Colloidal Oatmeal (Avena Sativa) Contribute to the Effectiveness of Oats in Treatment of Itch Associated with Dry, Irritated Skin“, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Honey in Dermatology and Skin Care: A Review“, ResearchGate.net
- “10 Benefits of Face-Steaming and How to Do It at Home“, Healthline.com
- “Ready for a Close-Up: the Science Behind Face Massage Rollers“, ScienceDaily.com
- “Can You Use Tomatoes for Skin Care?“, Healthline.com
- “Traditional and Medicinal Uses of Banana“, PhytoJournal.com