Cleansing is the most important part of our daily beauty routine. But admit it, we still often find it extremely hard to follow, especially in the end of the day when we are deadly tired and sleepy. Now in that situation, what if you are told to cleanse your face ‘twice’? It sounds a little more for us, isn’t it? Well, ladies, that is exactly what the ‘double cleansing’ method intends us to do and trust us, it is magical! If you want to get a smooth, nourished, and squeaky clean face, you need to double up your cleansing regimen. Know everything about the secret to a gorgeous skin:
What Is ‘Double Cleansing’?
Double cleansing is one of the simplest yet most efficient beauty rituals started ages ago by Japanese and it has been seeing a resurgence these days as a way to cleanse the skin thoroughly. It is basically a two-step method of cleansing that involves two different types of cleansers for achieving a perfectly clean and fresh skin. The first one is essentially an oil itself or an oil-based cleanser while the second one is a regular cleanser of your choice. The act of cleansing the skin twice helps in eliminating the surface layer of dirt, grime, and makeup as well as turning the skin absolutely clean without stripping of moisture and natural oils.
Also Read – A Guide To The Oil Cleansing Method For Acne Here
How To Choose The Right Cleansers?
Double cleansing suits all types of skin but you should not use just any of your synthetic cleansers for lathering up twice respectively. Here is how to pick the best cleansers for getting a radiant skin through double cleansing:
- First Cleanser: Find a suitable cleansing oil that is of medium consistency (should not be too runny or too thick), not greasy or sticky at all, and does not contain compounds like silicone, mineral oils, and chemical preservatives. It is always better to stick to the options that are natural and gentle, such as pure and organic castor oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, etc.
- Second Cleanser: Choose a water-based creamy / foaming cleansing formula that does not contain sodium lauryl / laureth sulfates (SLS) and is mild enough to your skin. It should be packed with nourishing ingredients based on the type of your skin. You can even go with your favorite cleanser for this step.
Also Read – Things You Must Know About Pore Cleansing Oils For An Acne-Prone Skin Here
How To Do ‘Double Cleansing’?
Here is a step by step guide to practice the ‘double cleansing ’method at home. As mentioned earlier, it is a two-step method and we will explain it accordingly. Check it out:
- Start with cleaning your hands. Pat it dry with a soft clean towel. Also, make sure that your face is absolutely dry.
- Pour a little cleansing oil onto your palm and warm it up by rubbing in between your hands.
- Apply the warm oil all over your facial skin including the areas under your eyes and around your lips.
- Massage it gently into your skin by moving your fingertips in the upward direction in a small circular motion.
- Continue the massage for a couple of minutes so that the dirt, impurities, debris, and makeup accumulated in your pores get dissolved in the oil completely.
- Dampen a washcloth with warm water and spread it on your face.
- Let it sit for a minute or so and then, rub your face with it to wipe out the oily residue fully.
- Take a pea-sized amount of your regular water-based cleanser and apply it to your face by working into a lather with the help of plain water.
- Massage your face gently with your fingertips for a minute or so.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Also Read – How to Rejuvenate Your Skin Using Oil Cleansing Here
Beauty Benefits Of ‘Double Cleansing’
Now, here is a glimpse of what double cleansing can actually do for our skin and beauty:
- The first step eliminates the ‘oily dirt’ from our skin that is often caused by heavy skincare products, makeup items, excess sebum, etc. while the second step helps our skin get rid of ‘watery dirt’ resulted from perspiration, dead cells, environmental pollutants, etc.
- Cleansing twice is helpful for driving away the stubborn dirt and grime that sit on the top of our skin.
- It opens up clogged skin pores, which eventually prevents the probability of developing acne and breakouts.
- It indirectly makes the penetration as well as the working of your skincare products like lotions, moisturizers, creams, and serums better.
- The process of massaging the face aids in the better circulation of blood, which improves the supply of nutrients and oxygen to the cells, thereby giving us a fresher, healthier, and livelier look.
However, if your skin is ultra-sensitive and quite prone to acne, breakouts, and rosacea, you must consult a skin specialist before giving the double cleansing method a try.