Are you a true coffee lover? Does your morning not start without a cup of piping hot coffee? Is coffee a big stress buster for you? If your answer is ‘yes’ for all these questions, you can take your coffee love to the next level by using it for hair care. While caffeine, the prime element in coffee, can relieve you from stress and make you rejuvenated instantly, it can boost the health of your hair and give it a refreshingly silky shine too. You can get a long, strong, and lustrous mane with coffee and there is absolutely no need to spend a lot on commercial hair products. All you need to do is include this readily available kitchen ingredient in your regular hair care regime. If you want to try this magic product for hair enhancement, here are some simple DIY coffee shampoo recipes for you. But before that, let’s talk about coffee and its hair benefits.
What is Caffeine?
Caffeine is a naturally occurring compound of the methylxanthine class, which is most commonly found in coffee, tea, cola, and other similar beverages. It works as a psychoactive substance by stimulating our central nervous system (CNS). Hence, caffeine is widely used as a strong stimulant, especially among athletes. Besides, it is used for boosting energy levels, improving mental alertness, treating migraine headaches, increasing urine flow, curing breathing problems in newborns, etc. Caffeine has also been found to be effective in ADHD, OCD, asthma, hepatitis C, Parkinson’s disease, gallbladder disease, type 2 diabetes, weight loss, and so on. (1)
Pure or highly concentrated forms of caffeine are a serious health concern and can even lead to death. Too high doses of caffeine are used as illegal stimulants and hence, strictly prohibited by the FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration).(2)
Benefits of DIY Coffee Shampoo
Coffee powder is really great for our hair, thanks to its high caffeine content. When ground coffee is incorporated in hair treatments, it works directly on the scalp and does wonders for the locks. Following are some of the benefits that your hair gets to enjoy from homemade coffee shampoo:
1. Caffeine increases blood circulation throughout our scalp, thereby stimulating hair follicles and boosting hair growth significantly. So, adding the coffee powder to your shampoo will make your hair grow pretty much faster!
2. Coffee is enriched with antioxidants that are invigorating for our hair. If you treat your damaged hair with coffee regularly, the antioxidant properties will repair it and prevent further damage.
3. Coffee can give you a healthy scalp, which is of utmost importance for a healthy and beautiful mane. It makes the scalp free from product buildups and sanitizes hair safely and naturally.
4. Your hair (pH 3.67) and scalp (pH 5.5) are naturally acidic. Coffee is also acidic in nature, which helps in rebalancing the pH levels of the hair and scalp. (3)
5. Coffee can make your mane look healthy and radiant naturally by adding a beautiful shine to it. You really don’t need to spend on expensive hair styling products to get glossy lustrous hair as you can get it with the help of coffee easily.
6. Coffee not only makes your hair super shiny, but it also turns dry frizzy hair softer and smoother. If you are struggling to manage your damaged and dehydrated locks, the use of DIY coffee shampoo can help you organize them.
7. Coffee works as a natural hair dye that is absolutely safe and beneficial to use. It can even bring out wonderful highlights in brown locks.
How Does Coffee Help in Hair Growth?
Coffee is loaded with several hair-friendly components that have the ability to stimulate your hair cells proactively, thereby strengthening hair and stimulating its growth. Here is what you need to know:
1. Antioxidants to Get Healthy Hair Cell
Coffee contains high levels of antioxidant that is responsible for stimulating the production of healthy cells in the scalp. Moreover, it also helps in protecting the hair cells so that your tresses stay safe from damage, especially from the ultraviolet rays of the sun.
It is suggested that you opt for darker coffee beans such as Espresso and French roast in order to get maximum benefits of antioxidants.
2. Prevents Frequent Hair Fall
Researches have revealed that caffeine is extremely effective in reproducing hair follicles healthily and strongly. Being a stimulator in hair growth, caffeine is also good in preventing hair fall problems in a short time span. It is observed that if coffee is applied in the right amount, it has the power to penetrate deep in the hair roots, nourish the follicles, and restoring the growth of hair fibers. (4)
Simple DIY Coffee Shampoo Recipes to Try at Home
An easy and simple ingredient like coffee can boost your natural homemade hair care routine, which is sure to work wonders for your locks. There are quite a few ways to include caffeine in your daily hair care routine. Excited to try out? Get to know the processes below:
1. Basic Coffee Shampoo
This is ideal for getting long, soft, and shiny hair without visiting a salon or even spending a dime. All you need is your favorite shampoo and a little amount of caffeine to make things work.
- Coffee powder – (1/2) teaspoon
- Shampoo – 4 to 5 tablespoons
Pour the shampoo into a small bowl and add coffee powder to it. Give them a good stir so that it mixes well. Moisten your hair with little water and apply the mixture all over it. Wait for 2-3 minutes. Rinse it off properly with lukewarm water.
Read Also – Add Color to Your Hair with Coffee
2. Coffee and Baking Soda Shampoo
If you are using hair styling products regularly, then buildups on the scalp are quite common. It is essential to clean your hair thoroughly regularly to keep them healthy. This simple coffee shampoo with added baking soda can be of great help. It not only makes your tresses smooth, soft, and healthy but also adds extra shine to them.
- Coffee powder – 2 tablespoons
- Baking soda – (1/4) teaspoon
- Shampoo – 2 to 3 tablespoons
Take the shampoo in a small mixing bowl. Add coffee powder and baking soda to it. Blend all ingredients well. Moisten your hair with water and apply the coffee mixture thoroughly. Leave it on for a few minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water followed by a good conditioner.
3. Dry Shampoo Made with Coffee
In today’s fast-paced world, dry shampoo is considered one of the best choices for women to make their hair look fresh and fragranced instantly. Instead of buying a commercial dry shampoo, you can easily make a quick DIY version at your home with some coffee.
- Coffee powder – 1 tablespoon
- Arrowroot powder – 2 tablespoons
Take the coffee powder in a mixing bowl. Make sure that it is very finely grounded and has a smooth, velvety texture. Or else, you may want to run it through a grinding machine for a finer variation. If you don’t mind going a bit further, just take a handful of coffee beans and grind them freshly. Add arrowroot powder to the coffee powder. However, you must keep in mind that the quantity of arrowroot needs to be adjusted based on your true hair color. With the help of a foundation brush, apply the dry mixture to your scalp as well as on the hairline. Allow it to sit for a few minutes so that all dirt, dust, excess sebum, etc. get soaked up. Finally, brush your hair well to get the mixture out nicely.
4. Hair Spray with Coffee
- Black coffee powder – 2 tablespoon
- Hot water – as required
Prepare a cup of black coffee and allow it to cool down. Now, pour it into a spray bottle and store it. After shampooing your hair, spray this mixture to your hair roots on your scalp. Massage the hair gently with your fingers for a few minutes. Let it rest for 10 minutes and then again wash off your tresses.
The quantity of shampoo in each recipe will depend on the length and volume of your hair. You should pick a mild herbal shampoo only to make the most of your favorite DIY coffee shampoo recipe. However, try to limit the amount of coffee powder to 2 to 3 teaspoons only.
Read Also – Guide to Dye Your Hair Naturally with Coffee
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Frequently Should I Use DIY Coffee Shampoo?
As it is a homemade shampoo, you can use it as many times as you need throughout the week. But make sure that you use it only once every day. Or else, your hair will become dry and damaged.
Can I Wash My Hair with Coffee?
Yes, you can use cold, brewed coffee directly on your scalp and hair. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and allow it to soak. Then, rinse it off with lukewarm water and air-dry your hair. This will add a dark hue and a wonderful shine to your locks. The cooled ground from a coffee filter can also be applied to the scalp directly. Simply rub it into your scalp gently by using fingertips to ensure that the caffeine penetrates deep into the follicles. Finally, rinse it off with tepid water.
Does Coffee Really Dye Your Hair?
Yes, using coffee on your hair can make it one or two shades darker instantly. It will also cover your grey hair in the process and give your locks an even look.
How Long Do You Leave Coffee in Your Hair?
While rinsing your hair directly with coffee, saturate it completely with the liquid and wring out the hair well. Then, let the coffee sit on your hair for 30 to 60 minutes depending on how dark you want your hair color to be.
- “Caffeine“, WebMD.com
- “Spilling the Beans: How Much Caffeine is Too Much?“, fda.gov
- “8 Ways to Use Coffee of the Skin, Scalp, and Hair“, MedicalNewsToday.com
- “The Effects of Caffeine on Hair“, Livestrong.com