Did you find the title of the article ‘gross’? Well, think again! Unless you are a person with zero concern about your hair, you may like to give it a read. These days, it’s hard to find a woman who is happy with her mane. From dandruff to excessive hair fall, women need to deal with tons of problems regarding their hair every day. Most of the time, no home remedy, herbal product, hair care cosmetic, or even medication works efficiently, thereby adding to the frustration. If considered, urine therapy can be a super-effective solution for all these issues. Let us tell you about urine therapy for hair growth and everything else related to this unusual natural remedy.
Know About Your Urine
No matter how much we tell you about the ‘therapeutic’ benefits of ‘urine,’ it sounds awkward to you, and we understand it. Hence, let’s start with decoding the composition of urine so that you can identify with us.
The liver is one of the most vital organs in our body that detoxifies blood by removing poisonous substances and thoroughly balances out all elements. This detoxified blood then flows to the kidneys, where a surplus of water is filtered out along with all superfluous essential compounds, such as enzymes, hormones, minerals, and so on. This filtered mixture forms urine.
Now, it is pretty clear that urine is not a mere ‘waste product.’ Instead, it is full of essential elements. Urine is mainly composed of water, which makes up almost 95% of the bulk. The remaining constituents are urea, accounting for 2.5% of it, and the rest, 2.5%, is formed by the mixture of vital minerals, salts, enzymes, and hormones (1).
Also Read – Want Long Hair? Use Flax Seeds For Hair Growth. Here Is How.
What Is Urine Therapy?
Urine Therapy or urotherapy uses human urine for medicinal or cosmetic purposes (2). It is a part of alternative medicine that encourages drinking urine or massaging skin, hair, or gums.
Does urine therapy really work?
There are two schools of thought. One school believes in the fact that it has anti inflammatory properties which can curb conditions arising out of inflation etc. However the other school is of the view that it may cause fatigue, fever or even diarrhoea. Although few studies were done on urine therapy and its health benefits, nothing is conclusive as of now.
Most of the enzymes and hormones present in the urine are beneficial to the body. Many claim that drinking their urine has helped them stay off any medication and lead a very healthy life. However, you do not need to consume it to take care of your hair and stimulate its growth. The topical application will be enough for this purpose. All you need to do is get over the inhibition of using it. Then, treat it as any other liquid formulation and apply.
In India, Studies were conducted to understand the impact of cow urine on hair. It was found that cow urine was effective in treating multiple hair problems like dandruff, hair loss, hair thinning, etc. (3)
Also Read – DIY – Homemade Hair Growth Serum Recipes For Long Lustrous Hair
Possible Benefits Of Applying Urine To Hair
Now, let’s dig deeper into the hair benefits of urine so that it becomes obvious why we should use it for our locks. So here we go (4):
- Massaging the scalp with urine may help rejuvenate the hair follicles, effectively treating hair loss and stimulating hair growth.
- Applying urine on the scalp may reduce hair fall since it strengthens hair follicles and causes the hair to become healthier.
- Since urine is an antiseptic, it may help eliminate many scalp problems, including infections, itchy scalp, and dandruff.
- The vital elements present in the urine may nourish hair fiber from all aspects, thereby making even the most lifeless hair look shiny and lustrous.
- Intensive urine application to bald patches may even make new hair grow in those regions.
- New hair growth automatically means that this therapy takes care of boosting the volume of your hair.
- Urine may help retain the natural color of our hair and reduce the risks of premature greying to a large extent.
Also Read – A Brief Guide To Using Bhringraj Oil For Hair Growth (Don’t Miss The DIY Oil Recipe!)
The urine that you pass through the body is not sterile. Urea, the substance after which urine is named can be poisonous when present in the blood (5).
How To Use Urine For Hair Growth?
An external application of urine is enough to counter hair loss and promote hair growth. So, the first thing you need to do is collect your urine. When you start passing it, let the first few drops pass uninterruptedly. After that, start collecting your golden elixir in a cup. You can use both fresh or old urine for applying to your hair based on your preference.
Heat the urine gently for two to three minutes right before use. Allow it to cool down completely and remove the crust that forms on the top of the liquid. Dip a cotton ball into it. Part your hair into multiple sections and apply the urine all over your scalp and to the roots of your hair by using the cotton ball. Massage it into the scalp light handedly. Let it sit for thirty minutes to an hour, then rinse off with lukewarm water.
Do not use soap or shampoo (it is even better if you do not rinse it out at all!). Instead, you could add a couple of drops of essential oil or rose water into the rinsing water for a beautiful fragrance. Repeat this daily for the best results.
Does urine tighten the skin?
Proponents of the urine therapy believe that it can fix multiple skin conditions because of its alkaline properties. It may be used to treat acne, psoriasis and for tightening skin pores.
Also Read – All You Should Know About Biotin And Hair Growth
Things To Remember
Even though urine is a simple ‘blood product,’ using it can be a real big deal. But if you are game for it, here are a few things that you must keep in mind:
- If you are going to try urine therapy, make sure that you eat many fresh fruits and vegetables instead of animal proteins. Also, keep your daily diet as light as possible.
- Avoid the use of too many spices in food.
- Drink lots of water throughout the day since you do not want very concentrated urine for this purpose.
Many claim that this remedy has helped them fight hair loss successfully. It is, after all, a natural remedy with zero side effects and is worth a try. (6)
Also Read – How Does Iron Help In Our Hair Growth?
Summary – Although urine therapy has been practiced for a long time, there is no conclusive evidence to establish its benefits on hair growth and other hair related problems. There are two schools of thought – one school believes in its benefits and the other school is a little apprehensive. If you are really keen on trying urine therapy, consult with your medical practitioner.
- “Urine” -lumenlearning.com
- “Urine therapy” – Wikipedia
- “Alopecia” – cowurine.com
- “Cow pee for your hair and face” – timesofindia.indiatimes.com
- “Is Urine Sterile? Fact vs. Fiction” – healthline.com
- “Urologist answers nine questions about urine” – usc.edu