Onion is a bulb vegetable and is known for its extraordinary hair health benefits apart from its other medicinal values. Rich in Vitamins B6 and C, magnesium, potassium and germanium, onions are excellent sources of sulfur, which is one of the most vital elements for hair health. It is this sulfur compound present in onion that gives it its distinct stinking smell.
How is onion helpful for hair?
– Drinking onion juice directly helps to eliminate toxins from blood. It also improves blood circulation throughout the body and scalp. Proper blood circulation in scalp is essential for healthy and strong hair roots. This minimizes hair fall.
– Onion also helps to get over itchy scalps and dandruff. Onion is known for its anti-bacterial properties and this helps to remove itchiness of scalp. Onion removes dirt flakes effectively.
– The germanium content of the onion is capable of improving oxygen supply to the scalp which in turn helps with healthy hair growth.
Is consuming onions the only way out?
Consuming onions is considered to be far better because it works internally and the body takes advantage of all nutrients and minerals present in the vegetable. It does not only help with healthy hair but also increases the immunity of the body. However, consuming onion or drinking onion juice on a regular basis can be problematic for many. So, for healthy hair, onion can be applied directly to hair and scalp externally. Using different onion masks can be helpful.
A few onion masks
- Simple Paste: This is one of the easiest way to apply onion. This simple mask can be prepared by crushing an onion to create a paste. Apply the paste before going to bed. Leave it overnight and let it dry. In the morning, rinse off your hair and scalp with a mild shampoo and conditioner. Be regular and use for a few weeks for results.
- Onion Juice and Rosemary Essential Oil: Crush or grate half an onion and squeeze out the juice. Add 4-5 drops of rosemary essential oil. This essential oil also helps to stimulate hair growth while taking care of the pungent smell of the onion. Massage your scalp well with the mask before going to bed at night. Leave overnight. Wash off using mild shampoo and conditioner in the morning.
- Onion Paste and Mustard Oil: Make some paste using half an onion (may be one onion if the size is small) and add mustard oil to ensure that the mixture still remains a paste. Apply as before. Onion is known to give a shiny coppery shade to the hair but the mustard oil will prevent this color change if you don’t want it.
- Onion Peels and Heena: Take onion peels and crush them. Mix the paste with Heena and apply 1-2 hours before bath. This will take care of your greys and whites while making sure that the hair is not robbed of sebaceous secretions and will keep your hair thick and healthy.
Important Tips: Make sure that the onion you use is always fresh. Also try to use the Red Onion and not the White one if you want to take care of your greys and whites. The sulfur contents of White and Oriental onions is higher than Red onions and hence, are more effective in treating hair fall, dandruff, bald patches etc.