So you are bored of your hair color and want to get rid of it, but are afraid of doing anything as you think removing a semi-permanent color from the hair is an uphill task. Come on! It does not need a salon visit and you can do it yourself by using just an everyday ingredient. Yes, we are talking about baking soda. Surprised, right? Well, this post will give you all the details. Keep reading:
How To Remove Hair Color With Baking Soda?
Say the best natural ingredient that can be used for cleaning different parts of our body and baking soda makes its place at the top of the list. When used in moderation, this bicarbonate of soda can eliminate semi-permanent hair color too. It is mostly used along with a suitable shampoo for the removal of hair dye. The procedure is absolutely easy and does not take too much time. Here is the usual way of removing hair color with baking soda:
Also Read – Why should you use ammonia free hair color? Here
- Baking soda – 2 tablespoons (adjust the quantity based on the length and volume of your hair)
- A good anti-dandruff shampoo (of your choice) – 2 tablespoons (adjust the quantity based on the length and volume of your hair)
- The same anti-dandruff shampoo (for washing) – as required
- A good conditioner (of your choice) – as required
- A small mixing bowl
- A spoon
Steps To Follow:
- To start the process of removal of your hair color with baking soda, you have to clean and wash hair your hair first. Make sure that your preferred shampoo has a comparatively higher pH level than other regular shampoos and an anti-dandruff shampoo is the best for this purpose. However, the shampoo must cleanse your scalp and hair without causing much damage to them. Anything herbal is always a good choice.
- Rinse very well as this is important for the pH to work on the hair dye and help it come out easily. Once you are done with shampooing, wash your hair with plain cold water.
- Now, put the baking soda in the mixing bowl. Add some more anti-dandruff shampoo to it based on the requirements of your locks.
- Mix them together very well with the help of the spoon so that the mixture becomes smooth and creamy in texture and medium in consistency.
Also Read – How to Prevent Hair Color Fading? Here
- Apply this mixture all over your scalp and start massaging gently by using your fingertips. Follow a small circular motion to ensure that this baking-soda-shampoo mixture is massaged into all your dyed hair roots properly.
- Once your entire scalp is covered, gradually move down the hair strands. It is essential to cover all your hair (from the roots to the tips) with the shampoo-baking soda mixture.
- Allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, rinse your scalp and hair again with the anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Squeeze out the excess water from your hair and apply your preferred conditioner as usual.
- Finally, rinse the conditioner as well as the traces of the shampoo out of your hair by using lukewarm water. Finish off the process with a cold water rinse.
Well, the removal of hair dye and that too with the help of a natural ingredient like baking soda is certainly not an overnight affair. It will take time and you have to carry out several washings. However, practicing this process in a regular interval will help you get rid of your hair color gradually.
Tip And Warnings
Following the right steps are not enough for removing the dye from your hair with baking soda. There are some important facts and information one needs to learn and keep in mind while undergoing the procedure. We have listed them down:
Also Read – 9 Important Factors to Consider Before Coloring Your Hair Here
- Before giving this at-home hair removal method a shot, you must figure out your hair type. If you have super dry hair, try not to opt for the baking soda method as it might end up making your hair even drier.
- Baking soda is mostly suitable for removing semi-permanent hair dye. To get rid of permanent hair color, you must go for a stronger formula.
- Always use baking soda and shampoo in 1:1 ratio for making the mixture most effective.
- We do not recommend boiling water, but make sure that you use the hottest water you can tolerate for washing your air throughout the process.
- Do not skip the conditioning part at the end. It will ensure that you hair remains soft and smooth even after using the ingredients like baking soda and hot water.
- The older your hair color is, the longer it will take to be removed completely. Hence, maintain a realistic goal.
- Do not use any type of styling products or treatments while using baking soda on your hair for the removal of dye.
Apart from baking soda-shampoo mixture, there are several other choices like color removers (both color reducers and color strippers), bleach, epsom salts / bath salts, vitamin c treatment, hot oil treatment, dishwashing soap, etc. that are used for hair color removal. However, baking soda is known to be the safest and the most effective one amongst all.
Image Credit – Featured, 1, 2, 3