Getting a haircut at home is not something we look forward to. We all love those little outings to our favorite salon every now, and then that entails meeting our trusted stylist, discussing a new haircut, and trying out a new look. But the pandemic and the lockdown have forced many of us to play the role of a hairdresser overnight, whether to chop our locks or do it for a family member or a roommate. Whatever the case be, cutting hair is way more complicated than it looks. A few wrong moves, and you could end up having a disaster at your hand.
Just in case you still decide to take matters into your own hands, we advise you to choose a hairstyle that is not only easy to follow but also gives ample room for making mistakes. ‘Bowl cut’ is probably your best bet here.
Bowl cut – also popularly known as a mushroom cut or helmet cut – is one of the most straightforward haircuts to try out on your own. In this cut, the length of all the hair is kept the same while leaving straight bangs across the face. The style is named after the process followed earlier for getting this hairstyle. First, a bowl was placed at the top of the head, and all the hair outside of it was chopped. However, it has been modified a lot, and no bowl is used nowadays. Read on to know about an easy tutorial on getting a bowl cut at home.
Also Read – 15 Trendy Hime Cut Hairstyles That Will Blow Your Mind
Before you choose to get extra zealous with those scissors, think one more time if you need that cut or not. If you still feel sure about it, do some preparation. Read up a bit, get some good haircutting tools, watch hair cutting videos online, or even try out a video consultation with a hairstylist. Instead of doing it yourself, we suggest that you let someone else cut your hair.
Then, collect all the gears you will need, such as a cape, a spray bottle, a tail comb, a few hair clips, and, most important of all, a pair of haircutting scissors. Invest in good-quality scissors that are specially meant for cutting hair. These are razor-sharp and will give you precision while chopping.
If you’re doing the cut alone, get hold of a few mirrors and take as many breaks in between as you need. First, follow the same steps that one observes at the salon. Next, give your hair a good wash and condition them thoroughly. Let them dry out a bit before you start. Also, brush them painstakingly to remove any tangles.
Why a Bowl Cut?
Bowl cuts have a history attached to them. They were trendy in the 80s and were related to ‘mom-cut-my-hair tag’. It was a style sported by many celebrities in the 90s, from Leonardo Di Caprio to David Beckham. However, it took a backseat later on as short and crisp hair made its way in.
But as all retro things have made a comeback, this hairdo is also back as a serious trend, with many supermodels and actors donning it. And why not? The Bowl cut has many advantages. First, bowl cut looks hot and is a crucial trend these days. Second, short hair is practical and takes the least time to style. Just a quick blow dry and some wax/ gel, and you’re ready for the day. Finally, a bowl cut adds volume to the hair and works well for many face shapes, including oval or long faces.
5 Step Guide to a Perfect Bowl Cut
Now, let’s go through a step-by-step guide about how to attempt a bowl cut at home. But before that, a word of advice.
Before getting extra friendly with those scissors, remember the rule of ‘less is more’. Like you are always careful about plucking out extra hair from your eyebrows, be cautious here too. While you can always cut more, you can’t glue them back. Hairstylists say that for the amateurs at home, it is an excellent trick to start with vertical or somewhat diagonal lines first and not straightaway go for blunt vertical lines. Vertical lines look good when done correctly but are less forgiving for mistakes.
1. Start with wearing your salon cape. It will keep that tiny chopped hair away from the skin and save you a lot of mess. If you don’t have a haircut cape, try using a soft cloth attached with a plastic sheet. But whatever you use for this purpose, spray some water over it.
2. Take a tail comb and create a center parting by brushing the hair properly. At the same time, make another parting right at the back of your head. By this, you will end up dividing your hair into four sections.
3. Now, let’s start with the chopping part. Comb and hold almost a quarter of an inch or 0.25 inch of hair present at the bottom of the head by using the tail comb. Twist the rest of the hair and clip it up using hair clips so that the hair remains in its place. Meanwhile, if your hair gets dry, spray some more water on it. Comb it once again as soon as possible to take care of those strays.
4. Take the pair of scissors and start cutting the hair from the front. If you are looking for a short haircut, keeping the length of front hair right above your eyebrow would work best. Once you are done with the front part, you will arrive at a pattern that you can maintain during the rest. So, for the hair at the back of your head, follow the same pattern and come down gradually in an angular way as soon as you reach the side of your head.
5. Give extra focus to the hair present around your ears. Make sure that the length of hair is the same on both sides. Now, again go to the back of the head and take about half or a quarter of an inch (0.5 or 0.25 inch) hair down once more. It would reveal the actual line that you can follow properly. Finally, go around it 3 to 4 times and ensure that no hair is left there.
Also Read – These Trendy Pageboy Hairstyles Will Make You Stand Out!
If you want to try a new haircut but are still unsure about visiting the salon because of the pandemic, try the do-it-yourself ‘bowl cut’. This is a very easy haircut to try at home. This short hairstyle looks really hot and is one of the top trends this season. It is not only easy to carry out but also has low maintenance. Just gather some basic haircutting gear such as a pair of sharp scissors, a cape, a spray bottle, and a tail comb, and you are ready to start. In this article, we have listed a step-by-step guide about how to carry out the mushroom cut at home.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the best way to style a bowl cut?
This is a very low-maintenance haircut and can be styled very quickly. First, wash your hair and give it a quick blow-dry. Otherwise, you can use a styling gel (medium to stronghold). Apply the gel to towel-dried hair and work it into the strands using your fingers.
In case the cut goes awry, how to fix it?
If you can still give up on some more length of your hair, try getting a shorter bowl cut. Take a smaller bowl and work around it. Else, try styling your hair differently. Instead of the fringe, try a parting using some hair clips.
Is the bowl cut more suited for men?
No. Traditionally, many male celebrities have been seen sporting the mushroom cut – Leonardo Di Caprio, Brad Pitt, and Hugh Grant to name a few. But there is no shortage of female icons donning a sleek Bowl look. Who can forget the iconic images of Rihanna, Charlize Theron, and Celine Dion in this sleek cut?