The turkey neck gives cause for concern. But, of course, no one is exempted from it eventually, as it comes with age. But if you have it already and dislike its appearance or don’t have it yet and intend to keep it away much longer, then read on. This article shares some preventive tips to keep off its appearance for as long as possible. Most importantly, we share effective facial yoga exercise routines to implement daily that may return the youthful tone to your neck.
What is Turkey neck?
Turkey neck is a visible sign of the human aging process – one referred to as being unflattering. When you’re young, the skin at your neck is tight and well-toned. However, as you get older, the muscles weaken, and skin loses its elastic strength – the ability to stretch and tighten. This results in the appearance of the loose neck skin, visible from the jawline to the clavicle bone. It’s called turkey neck because of its dangling, loose and wrinkly appearance – a striking resemblance to a turkey’s wattle.
Also Read – Best Skin Tightening Creams, Lotions & Oils
What causes Turkey neck?
Turkey neck is an obvious sign of aging. However, other triggers may make them appear sooner than expected. These factors influence the turkey neck. They include
1. Aging – Collagen and Elastin Decline
The natural aging process takes a toll on the skin, and it loses its ability to repair and rejuvenate. This is greatly influenced by collagen – collagen is the protein component present in our skin. It is found in the dermis – the middle layer of the skin. And it functions to provide structure and support for the outer skin layer. Collagen is found in a surplus amount in the body at a young age. However, as we age, its production reduces continuously until it stops completely. The existing collagen becomes susceptible to extensive breakdown by factors such as sun exposure. This breakdown causes a visible loss of skin elasticity (1). Also, the muscles weaken and become unable to support the skin. So its ability to stretch and tighten reduces drastically. As a result, the muscles slack, losing their elasticity, and so the skin visibly sags.
2. Hereditary – Bone Position
The human body structure varies from one person to another. Such minimal variations may influence the aging process. For example, the hyoid bone is located in the anterior part of the neck. When the hyoid bone is set away from the neck more prominently, the skin is pulled back into a defined angle. And when the hyoid bone is pushed forward, it pushes the skin into a more defined rounded shape. That rounded neck may make the skin more susceptible to gravity. (2).
3. Weight Fluctuations
Rapid weight loss or gain stretches the skin. Body fats may be heavily deposited in the chin and along the neck. And when weight is gained, excess fat gets deposited at that location and stretches the skin. However, when collagen production decreases or stops altogether, the regular stretching and tightening ability is lost. Hence any form of weight fluctuation may result in wrinkles and sags on the skin.
Also Read – Kumkumadi Oil For Skin And Hair: Know All About This Beauty Elixir
4. Exposure to Sunlight – UV Damage
Exposure to sunlight means exposure to ultraviolet – UV rays. And these UV rays destroy the skin protein, breaking down collagen and elastin. This breakdown results in loss of skin elasticity – saggy, wrinkly skin.
5. Diet and Lifestyle
Eating unhealthy meals lacking in essential vitamins and minerals may result in the early appearance of a turkey neck. This is because the body does not get its required quantity of antioxidants – antioxidants destroy free radicals on the skin.
10 Facial Yoga Exercise Routines to Tighten Turkey neck
As mentioned earlier, you may integrate neck exercise into your daily routines. Regular and intentional exercise improves blood circulation, builds elasticity, and tones the neck muscles (3). This may help reduce the turkey neck and tighten your neck skin. You may adapt these exercises to suit your daily activities, such that you carry them out in any setting you find yourself daily.
- Stand upright.
- Let your shoulders relax, leaving your hands hanging loosely by your body.
- Pout your lips firmly and hold on to it for 15 to 20 seconds.
- While holding the pout, take deep breaths through your nose.
- You’re pouting your lips and taking deep breaths.
- Now, gently look over your right shoulder, rotating your neck gradually for 15 to 20 seconds.
- All of this happens simultaneously.
- Repeat this as much as 20 times daily while changing directions to your left or right.
- Sit up straight in a chair.
- Keep your lips loosely closed, not firm, and gently tilt your head backward.
- When your head is tilted until the point your eyes are fixated on the ceiling, pucker your lips – it should seem as though you’re throwing a kiss to your ceiling.
- Stay in this position for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Repeat routine as much as 20 times daily (4)
- You may sit or stand for this.
- Put your hand on your forehead.
- Push your head against that hand on your forehead while ensuring your head does not move forward. This will seem like a form of restraint that will pull on your face and neck muscles.
- Stay in that act for 10 seconds and release.
- Then take both your hands behind your head and clasp them together.
- Push your head backward against your hands using your neck.
- Stay in that act for 10 seconds.
- Repeat routine as many as 20 times daily.
- Sit in a chair with your back straight.
- Gently tilt your head backward until your chin points to the ceiling or sky.
- Keep your lips firmly closed.
- Gently make a chewing motion with your mouth for 25 seconds.
- You should feel the stretch of your jaw, chin, and neck muscles.
- Repeat this as much as 20 times daily.
- Lay stretched out on your bed in such a way that your head hangs by your neck over the bed edge.
- Gently lift your head using your neck muscles; lift as high as you can.
- Repeat this 5 times consecutively.
- Discontinue the routine if you experience neck pains.
- You may do this while standing or sitting.
- Put your lips in a pout, ensure your lower lip sticks out pronounced.
- Hold unto that pout while gently lowering your jaw, maintaining a still face expression.
- Stay in this act for 10 seconds before relaxing.
- Repeat this routine as much as 20 times daily.
- You may carry out this routine while standing or sitting.
- Turn your head gently to the right and hold the position.
- Start moving your lips and jaw in a chewing motion.
- Continue in this act for 20 to 25 seconds.
- Now gently turn your head to the left and repeat this process.
- You should feel the stretch of your jaw, chin, and neck muscles.
- Repeat the routine as much as 20 times daily (5).
- Lie stretched out, face down on the floor.
- Gently lift yourself on your forearms.
- Move your elbows to be positioned directly under your shoulder.
- Push up your body in your best stretch, such that your body gets in a reverse C position while tilting your chin out.
- Hold for 10 to 15 seconds before releasing.
- Repeat the routine as many times as possible daily (6).
- You may sit down or stand while carrying out this routine.
- Tilt your head backward until you’re staring at the sky or ceiling.
- Plant your tongue firmly to the roof of your mouth – this is compulsory for the success of this routine.
- With your head tilted backward and your tongue firmly at the roof of your mouth, swallow hard.
- Bend your head gently to the right and swallow; also, bend to the left and swallow.
- Repeat this as many times consecutively while bending to the left and right.
- Repeat this routine as many times as possible daily.
- Stand straight with your hands lying by your sides.
- Close your mouth while ensuring your teeth are not clasped firmly but rather separated.
- Maintain a neutral standstill of your head and neck.
- Push your jaw forward using your neck muscles and stay in the act for 10 to 15 seconds before relaxing.
- Repeat this routine 15 to 20 times daily.
8 Ways to Prevent the Appearance of Turkey Neck
Certainly, turkey neck appears as we age. However, making healthy choices in our daily lifestyle may positively impact our skin appearance. Here are some ways
1. Having a Healthy Diet and Feeding Habits
Your food should contain a proper supply of nutrients. Vitamins and minerals – these act as antioxidants healing the skin and getting rid of free radicals. Fats and oils that keep your skin well moisturized and hydrated. Other nutrient supplies ensure healthy blood circulation.
2. Exercise Regularly
Maintaining a consistent exercise routine reduces the possibilities of fluctuating bodyweight – rapid weight loss and gain. It also increases your blood circulation, ensuring that your skin cells are supplied with the nutrients to stay healthy and rejuvenated. Rapid weight fluctuation may stretch the skin, and without elasticity, this results in wrinkles and sags.
Also Read – Are You Having These Food Items To Enhance Your Skin Elasticity?
3. Reduce Exposure to Sunlight
Try to intentionally reduce how much time you’re exposed to direct sunlight. The UV rays from the sun damage the skin greatly. If you must be out in the sun, make sure to wear skin protection creams with an SPF of at least 30. Other components you should look out for in these creams include Vitamin C and Vitamin E. These creams should contain antioxidants and peptides that hydrate your skin and offer protection from the sun. Also, wear brimmed hats and covered clothing.
4. Get Appropriate Sleep and Rest
This refreshes your body and lets your skin rejuvenate. You should get at least 6-7 hours of sleep daily. Try to get this sleep while lying on your back with your neck straight (7). This may keep your neck from wrinkles that appear during the stretches of contorting from one side to another.
5. Use Moisturizer
Use skin care products that leave your skin moisturized and nourished
6. Reduce Alcohol Consumption
Alcohol drains vitamin A supplies and dehydrates the skin. This dehydration dries out the skin moisture and results in lines and wrinkles. So reduce your alcohol consumption and drink in moderation.
7. Stay Hydrated
Drink lots of water daily to stay hydrated. Drinking enough water provides hydration for your skin cells and flushes out toxins. This keeps your skin youthful and healthy.
Also Read – 7 Best Neck-Tightening Creams For A Younger-Looking Neck
8. Avoid Smoking
Smoking damages your skin, and it is recommended to avoid it for youthful and glowing skin.
These simple actions will significantly improve your health and skin appearance. A firm, well-hydrated skin would not be as susceptible to turkey neck as one that isn’t.
Also Read – 7 Yoga Asanas to Lose Weight Quickly
Turkey neck will make an appearance as you age. It is one of the least flattering signs of old age. And most people do not like to see them. The neck skin gets wrinkly, sags, and hangs loosely. It is called turkey neck because it appears similar to a turkey’s wattle. We have shared some effective routines to get rid of the turtle neck. If you follow these routines consistently and appropriately, you should notice recommendable improvements in a few weeks. We also shared some tips to keep the turkey neck away if they haven’t appeared yet. For further treatment, you may contact your dermatologist.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do you have to carry out all the exercises to notice a difference?
No, you don’t. You may practice as many routines as possible, then choose your favorite and stick to them. Most of the exercises can be carried out anywhere while on the go.
How long until a noticeable difference can be seen?
You may notice recommendable improvement on your neck skin in as early as two weeks.
- “How to prevent and treat “turkey neck” – seattletimes.com
- “How To Get Rid Of Turkey Neck For Good” – siobeauty.com
- “Can Exercise Tighten a Turkey Wattle?” – healthyliving.azcentral.com
- “Neck Exercises” – carolynsfacialfitness.com
- “How to Tighten a Turkey Neck With Facial Yoga” – wikihow.com
- “What’s the Difference Between Upward Facing Dog and Cobra Pose?” – popsugar.com
- “ Don’t flap! You CAN get rid of a turkey neck” – dailymail.co.uk