Are you struggling with fine lines, wrinkles, or dryness on your face? Are you on the lookout for ways to tighten your skin to draw out more moisture? Look no further! We are not talking about highly expensive cosmetic surgeries that can cause more harm than good to you with their nasty side effects. As we age, the skin loses elasticity and may start to wrinkle. Although aging is a natural process and cannot be reversed, it can be significantly delayed or reduced. Today, there are dozens of products on the market that claim to tighten skin, but which ones work? Keep reading if you are on the lookout for natural ways to look more young and fresh-faced without having any surgery.
What Causes Loose and Saggy Skin?
We live in an ever-changing environment. When we examine the process and changes that our skin goes through, many elements come into play. Surprisingly, saggy skin is caused by intrinsic and extrinsic factors that are equally responsible for it. Let’s explore some of the main causes for loose & saggy skin.
Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light from sunlight is a major factor in skin aging because UV light damages the collagen and elastin that give skin its firmness and elasticity. 80% of visible facial aging signs appear to be due to UV exposure (1).
When you lose or gain weight too quickly, there is no time for the skin to tighten up after expansion and contraction. As a result, the skin becomes loose & saggy. This commonly occurs with sudden weight loss or gain during pregnancy.
Collagen is the main structural protein of our skin, and as we age, it breaks down easily and quickly, resulting in wrinkles. As collagen synthesis slows down, the skin begins to lose its elasticity. Thus, sagging is caused by a gradual loss of skin elasticity (2).
Diet is the most important factor in skincare. A good diet provides daily doses of vitamins and minerals for healthy skin, while a poor diet may result in wrinkles caused by collagen breakdown.
How tobacco smoke damages your body has been known for decades, yet many people continue to smoke regularly. Smoking ages your skin by working against collagen and elastin, the tissues that provide structure and allow your skin to bounce back in time.
The skin undergoes dramatic anatomical and physiological changes with age. Most people begin to lose firmness in their skin once they reach the age of 35-40 years (3).
Skin sagging is most common in the face, neck, jaw area, abdomen and arms.
How to Prevent Sagging of the Skin?
The process of skin aging is continual, and it is quite understandable if you start to feel that you are losing vitality, vigor and even look older than you really are. To avoid the rapid skin aging process, begin by taking care of the basics first:
- Consume a nutritious, well-balanced diet.
- Wear sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun.
- Stay hydrated.
- Be active, exercise regularly.
- Quit smoking.
- Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep daily.
- Exfoliate & moisturize skin.
- Perform facial massages regularly.
Include a few home remedies to your beauty regimen – In this article, we’ve compiled a list of recipes that you could easily incorporate into your daily beauty routine to plump up that saggy skin.
Why Should You Use Skin Tightening Oils?
There are several good reasons if you’re wondering why you should be using natural oils to tighten skin. If left unattended, skin can become dry, wrinkled, and flaky. The use of fragrances in cosmetics can also be harmful, causing headaches and nausea in those with sensitive skin. Let’s look at some of the advantages and why using natural oils should be on your radar.
- Natural oils have the capability to melt away dead skin cells and promote healthy regeneration.
- It contains powerful antioxidants that stave off free radicals and repair damaged skin cells.
- Essential oils stimulate collagen production, which creates a healthy-looking, plumped-up look.
4 Most Effective Skin Tightening Oils To Try
1. Castor Oil
Castor oil contains a high concentration of fatty acids, which contribute to its moisturizing abilities. It penetrates the skin’s innermost layers and deeply moisturizes, making the skin smoother and firmer. It also stimulates collagen formation and enhances skin suppleness, making it taut and revitalized. Undecylenic acid is a naturally occurring substance found in castor oil and sweat. Its antibacterial and anti-microbial properties make it a favorite for body care products (4).
2. Olive Oil
Olive oil is an extremely healthy cooking oil and fantastic beauty oil. With its strong antioxidants such as vitamin A, E, and omega-3 fatty acids, olive oil is a wonder oil that does everything from hydrating the skin to making it firm and healthy. It tightens the skin by sealing moisture in the cells and strengthening the muscular tissue. When our skin is damaged by the sun, skin cells’ natural response becomes less effective. In addition, olive oil is known to protect the skin from photodamage caused by ultraviolet rays, which causes premature aging (5).
3. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil has long been used to firm up the breasts, as it is loaded with vitamin E, an excellent nutrient for skin-tightening. Because rich in fatty acids, it thoroughly moisturizes the skin and locks in moisture. It also aids in the reduction of wrinkles and the improvement of skin suppleness by increasing blood circulation throughout the skin. In addition, mustard oil was found to be the most effective antifungal agent in a recent study due to its high content of allyl isothiocyanate (6).
4. Grapeseed Oil
Grapeseed oil is an excellent all-natural, vitamin-rich oil that can help rejuvenate and improve skin health. The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of grapeseed oil help kill fungus and bacteria that can lead to infections. It is rich in vitamin E and healthy fats, which hydrate the skin profusely and boost collagen production. In addition, grapeseed oil is made up of 70% of linoleic acid (7), which contributes to skin cell regeneration and hydration, reducing the process of aging.
How To Use Skin Tightening Oils Effectively?
- Select an ideal carrier oil of your choice (Castor oil, Olive oil, Grapeseed oil, or Mustard oil). Then, combine it with the essential oil of your choice (Neroli, Geranium, Patchouli, Lavender, and Rose essential oil).
- The addition of essential oils for skin tightening can help improve the skin’s elasticity and help reduce inflammation. It can help shrink the size of pores and tighten the skin in a matter of minutes.
- When creating this formula, make sure to follow this simple rule of 10 drops of essential oil per ½ ounce of carrier oil.
- To reap maximum benefits from your oil, rub it on your skin and then massage in circular motions for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Follow this up with a nice body polish or scrub. The granules in the scrub will help slough off the dead cells from the surface of your skin. They will also help redistribute fat cells in your skin and fight cellulite effectively. This improves the circulation of blood throughout the skin and increases collagen production.
TIP: It’s always a good idea to patch test all these recipes before you commit to full application.
Precautions & Risks of Using Skin Tightening Oils
- Although there is general agreement that oils are effective moisturizers, it is important to note that some individuals may show allergic reactions, especially those with nut allergies.
- If you’re allergic to a certain type of oil, you’ll most likely experience hives, redness, bumps, itchiness, or even a runny nose. Make sure to avoid the use of these oils in such a scenario.
- When using essential oils, always dilute them with a carrier oil to avoid adverse skin reactions.
- If you’re pregnant, it’s best to consult your physician before trying out these recipes.
- Blends made with citrus essential oils should be avoided when spending time outdoors, as they can make your skin more sensitive and irritated due to exposure to the sun.
Having loose skin is not a pleasant experience. This can happen if you don’t know how to prevent it from happening. Several causes contribute towards saggy skin, such as exposure to sunlight, the aging process, unbalanced diet, smoking, and weight changes. Today, most of us face it at some point in life. But there are various ways to combat it. The most effective yet easiest approach is using topical oils to prevent the process. There are many carrier oils as well as essential oils that could give you fast results, improving the quality of your skin for the best look. In this article, we’ve gathered the best home topical oils that are excellent for rejuvenating your sagging skin.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Where can I buy carrier oil?
It can be purchased at your local grocery store or even online.
Does oil massage tighten skin?
The health benefits of oil massage are plentiful. Not only will it tighten your skin, but it makes it smoother and clearer.
How can I replace collagen naturally?
Often opt for foods containing high amounts of vitamin C and amino acids. (Citrus fruits, Red/Yellow vegetables/ Egg Whites)
- “Effect of the sun on visible clinical signs of aging in Caucasian skin” – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Skin anti-aging strategies” – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “The effects of aging on the skin” – webmd.com
- “Undecylenic acid“- bionity.com
- “Protective effect of topically applied olive oil against photocarcinogenesis following UVB exposure of mice” – academic.oup.com
- “Antifungal activity of essential oils evaluated by two different application techniques against rye bread spoilage fungi” – pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Grape seeds” – sciencedirect.com