Let’s admit it; we care more about our face and hair than any other parts of the body. Consequently, signs of aging begin to appear earlier than expected around the collar bone, below the jawline, and under the chin area. Moreover, thanks to the effects of free radicals, signs of skin maturation could worsen with time, adding almost a decade to our age!
The fact is that the décolletage area, which includes everything between the chin and chest, is where maturing skin is first visible. Although massages may help ton the skin, we highly recommend using neck-firming creams to speed up the process. You might already know about these creams, but we bet you’ve never thought of giving them a chance!
A popular myth surrounding such creams is that they are unnecessary and can be replaced with facial anti-aging creams for their proven age-defying effects (1). However, this is not the case because different target areas require specific formulations to create a visible result. So first, let’s look at what precisely are neck-firming creams, followed by our top recommendations for the same.
What are Neck-Firming Creams?
Specially formulated for the delicate skin of the neck area, these creams aim at imparting tightness, smoothness, and youthfulness. They are made with ingredients that target signs of aging, like age spots and wrinkles. Some even claim that long-term use can lead to the disappearance of crepey skin.
Neck-firming creams usually have an abundance of moisture with ingredients like ceramides and peptides. They are also sometimes formulated with collagen-producing ingredients to tighten the skin.
With all the buzz around these creams, the market is flooded with an influx of such products. If you’ve searched for one, we bet you would’ve felt a bit overwhelmed with the plethora of choices available. But to select the right one, you need to know the aging signs you’re experiencing and what ingredients could help the same.
A study on Caucasian women revealed the efficacy of N-acetyl glucosamine (an element found in neck firming creams) in improving the signs of aging in the neck and décolletage area (2). Similarly, research on the effectiveness of retinol in tackling wrinkles has confirmed its benefits for the same (3). While understanding the purpose of each ingredient is an arduous task of sorts, the actual question remains – do you need a neck-firming cream? Let us break this down for you.
Why You Need A Neck-Firming Cream?
We live in an era where time is running in zip-zap-zoom speed, and before you know it, your neck area has begun to add ages to your appearance! Hence, we do need these creams at some point or the other.
The problem could be choosing the wrong products and/or proper care, or instead, the lack thereof. In addition, the skin on the neck is much thinner than anywhere else on the body. Hence, either of the before-mentioned reasons could begin to affect this delicate skin slowly, and before you know it, there are lines, jowls, and wrinkles.
The face and neck’s skin is prone to developing age spots and pigmentation due to sun exposure. And with the lack of sebaceous glands in the area, hydration levels go down, thus leading to the appearance of age signs. However, a study on women with Fitzpatrick skin (pigmentation due to the sun) revealed that those who used anti-aging creams noticed 94% improvement (4).
Also Read – How to Get Rid of Flabby Neck Skin
Such results largely depend on the composition of the product and how well-researched the formula is. Depending on their formulation, these creams vary in consistency and efficacy. Thanks to the variety of such products available today, there is a cream for every skin type and age. Ahead, you will find 7 of the best neck-firming creams and their benefits.
7 Best Neck-Firming Creams – Editor’s Choice
1. Maryann Neck Firming Cream
Maryann Organics boasts of a natural and safe line of purpose-driven cosmetics, one of which is this neck cream. It is formulated with a 5% collagen complex to smoothen out the neck and décolletage area. It also contains nourishing oils and retinol that work together to reduce wrinkles and firm the skin.
- Hyaluronic acid in this cream ensures the skin is adequately hydrated to prevent aging signs.
- The collagen complex improves the skin’s elasticity and firmness.
- This cream deeply nourishes the epidermis to strengthen it and fight skin maturation signs.
- The presence of natural ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, and green tea make this a powerful formula.
- It is created in association with leading American dermatologists.
This product is paraben-free, gluten-free, SLS-free, and does not contain GMO-based ingredients. It defines jowls, reduces double chin, firms sagging skin, and promises smoothness within a month’s usage. Apply it with gentle massage motions twice a day for quicker results.
Price: $23.89 for 1.7 Fl Oz
2. IT Cosmetics Confidence in a Neck Cream
Our next recommendation is for those who are looking for a lightweight yet moisturizing formula. The Confidence in a Neck Cream is a jar of confidence for the skin in the neck, décolletage, and chest area! It boasts a 5-in-1 formula that moisturizes, brightens, smoothens, and firms the skin while reducing fine lines. In addition, the presence of a tri-structural complex of collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid makes this cream instantly effective on signs of aging.
- The revolutionary formula improves the skin’s overall appearance.
- It is a quick-absorbing cream that leaves no traces of stickiness.
- It contains fucoidan seaweed extract and shea butter that deeply nourish the skin.
- Prolonged use of this cream makes the skin smooth and tight.
Since this is a moisturizing cream, you can use it daily, include it in your morning or night-time routine, and gradually begin using it during both. With ingredients suitable for all skin types, this cream is made using the expertise of plastic surgeons and dermatologists. Apply it generously with upward strokes, and don’t forget the back of your neck and the behind of your ears.
Price: $48.95 for 2.6 Fl Oz
3. Gold Bond Ultimate Neck & Chest Firming Cream
For skin that has begun to mature, the key to overcoming age signs is hydration. With our next recommendation, Gold Bond’s Ultimate Neck and Chest Firming Cream, this is precisely what you get. Its unique formula delivers deep hydration that lasts up to 24 hours.
- This cream improves the firmness of the skin, making it look smoother with each application.
- The presence of salicylic acid ensures the skin is properly exfoliated and rid of dead skin cells.
- It has a high-performance firming complex made of stress response proteins and an advanced hydration blend.
- The 7 intensive moisturizers, including hyaluronic acid in this cream, improves the skin’s texture and elasticity.
A clinical test of this cream revealed 97% improvement in the skin’s firmness after using it for 2 weeks. Being fragrance-free and dermatologist-tested, this cream is suitable for all skin types. It can be applied to the neck and chest area twice a day with gentle upward strokes.
Price: $15.99 for 2 Oz
4. Perricone MD Cold Plasma Plus+ Neck & Chest Broad Spectrum SPF 25
One of the reasons why the skin becomes crepey and saggy is the lack of sun protection. If you think this applies to your skin, then check out this neck-firming cream by Perricone MD, a brand known for its potent formulas. This is a whipped, lightweight moisturizer that contains SPF 25 to protect the skin from sun damage.
- It smoothens and corrects wrinkles to make the skin look visibly toned and firm.
- The formula contains vitamin C ester, vitamin B3, and peptides that effectively work on fragile skin.
- Regular use of this cream makes the skin firm by reducing sagginess.
- The nourishing ingredients help in preventing the appearance of creases.
- This cream is also effective in correcting and preventing discoloration and dark spots.
We recommend this luxury cream for those who have tried many other options without any visible results. First, apply a generous amount to your cleansed neck and chest area. Then, gently massage it with upward motions, and don’t forget to reach out for the back of your neck.
Price: $89.00 for 1 Fl Oz
5. Body Merry Age Defense Neck Cream
Free radicals in the environment top the list of enemies of maturing skin. To combat their effects, your skincare regime needs a weapon of essential vitamins, and for this, we recommend Body Merry’s Age Defense Neck Cream. It is enriched with vitamins that stimulate collagen production.
- Compared to the other options available, you get a decent amount of product in this bottle.
- Active ingredients like lactic acid, glycolic acid, and hyaluronic acid make this an effective formula for gentle yet effective exfoliation.
- It hydrates the neck and décolletage area and doubles up as a hydrating facial moisturizer.
- It also contains squalane and CoQ10 that improve the skin’s elasticity.
The non-greasy and the fragrance-free formula gets easily absorbed into the skin, making it easy to work with. Being Leaping Bunny Certified, this cream ensures that your skin gets all the care it needs without harming any furballs! In addition, the presence of exfoliating acids in this cream makes it usable in the AM and PM for oily skin types, whereas only in the PM for dry and sensitive skin.
Price: $20.99 for 1.7 fl oz
6. HSBCC Neck Firming Cream
Next on the list is this gem by HSBCC. It is a multi-purpose cream loaded with skin-perfecting ingredients like stem cells, collagen, peptide, and elastin. It targets the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and the ever-so dreadful turkey neck!
The formula is specially designed for crepey skin in the neck area.
- It is made with natural ingredients like shea butter, fruit extracts, vitamin E, and more.
- This cream has a tightening and lifting effect on the skin to effectively remove double chin, wrinkles, and age spots.
- It has a unique consistency that is lightweight yet rich enough to keep the area moisturized.
This cream is suitable for all skin types, forming without harmful nasties like alcohol, formaldehyde, and silicone. Apply it on the neck area and massage it for 1-2 minutes. It is recommended to use this cream twice a day for at least 2 months to experience visible results.
Price: $19.95 for 2 Oz
7. StriVectin Tighten & Lift Advanced Neck Cream PLUS
Coming from the house of StriVectin, the Tighten & Lift Advanced Neck Cream PLUS is a must-have for those with textured and saggy skin. This cream had bagged Harper’s Bazaar Anti-Aging Award in 2019, and for a good reason! It is formulated with the breakthrough Gravitite-CF Lifting Complex, which improves the skin’s elasticity. In addition, the Brightening Complex is another skintastic feature of its formula, a botanically-derived complex that evens its décolletage skin.
- The formula boasts of a patented NIA-114 technology that strengthens the skin barrier.
- Regular use visibly tightens the skin in the neck and décolletage area.
- It corrects uneven skin tone and texture while giving the skin firmness and smoothness.
- The potent formula works on crepey skin and horizontal necklines.
It is suitable for all skin types and recommended for those with visible signs of aging, like deep lines and wrinkles. StriVectin advises using this cream in the AM and PM by applying it to cleansed skin with gentle upward massage motions.
Price: $95 for 1.7 oz
Also Read – Kick the Sagging Neck Away – Some Useful Tips for You
Side Effects of Neck-Firming Creams
We recommend investing in products that are formulated for your skin type. Always perform a patch test behind your ears and repeat the test twice or thrice before applying the cream to the targeted area. Some people may experience general reactions depending on the sensitivity of their skin. Such reactions may include:
Never forget to wear sunscreen and pair neck-firming creams with products that don’t contain actives.
Anti-aging products are the current talk of the town in the skincare industry, given the fact that many studies have proven the efficacy of certain ingredients for maturing skin. While facial creams for mature skin have gained significant popularity, the same for the neck and décolletage areas are quickly gaining momentum. Neck-firming creams are worth investing in, but we recommend understanding the depth of the signs of aging you’re currently experiencing. This will help in selecting the right cream with ingredients that target your skin issues. We hope our extensive list of products will help you choose the right one so you can embark on a journey towards aging gracefully.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
At what age should neck-firming creams be used?
This depends on your skin type and the damage it has incurred in the past few years. Typically, signs of aging begin around the mid-30s, so we recommend to start using neck-firming creams in your early 30s.
How long does it take for neck-firming creams to show results?
Any active skincare product takes at least 6-12 weeks to show visible results. Therefore, it is critical to stick to your routine with dedication and patience.
- “Immediate and Long-term Clinical Benefits of a Topical Treatment for Facial Lines and Wrinkles – A Firming Neck“- ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Cream Containing N-Acetyl Glucosamine Significantly Improves Signs of Aging on the Challenging Neck and Décolletage” – pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- “Shiseido seeks to tackle neck-wrinkles with latest retinol study” – cosmeticsdesign-asia.com
- “Assessment of a Comprehensive Anti-Aging Neck Cream” – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov