In today’s busy life, it is really difficult to pay proper attention to our hair health. No matter how many hair cosmetics you use, they may not help you combat common hair issues and manage bad hair days efficiently. The challenge of caring for hair becomes even more serious when it is dry and parched. So, what could be an effective solution? Hot turban therapy! Yes, if you want to get perfect locks by improving the health of your hair naturally from within, incorporating this simple treatment into your regular hair maintenance routine will work wonder. The article talks in detail about this amazing hair therapy, which immediately brings luster and shine to your hair.
What is Hair Steaming?
Well, it is important to know about hair steaming to understand what the hot turban therapy actually is and how it works. Hair steaming is a simple process of hair treatment in which moist heat is used to create a humid environment for the scalp and the hair in order to open up the hair follicles and lift the hair cuticles. This removes product build-ups and impurities from the scalp and facilitates the optimal absorption of the moisture by it. It also allows all hydrating as well as nourishing hair products (oils, conditioners, masks, etc.) to penetrate the hair strands deeply. Consequently, the hair becomes perfectly healthy, incredibly soft, and amazingly beautiful. Making it an intrinsic part of the regular hair care routine also helps in the significant growth of the mane. (1)
Hair steaming has long been practiced in Afro salons for treating and pampering dry, overheated, and damaged hair. It is not only offered by salons but can also be practiced at home as a DIY hair treatment.
What is Hot Turban Therapy?
Hot turban therapy is, essentially, a method of hair steaming. It is done by applying a blend of natural oils to the scalp and the hair followed by the wrapping of a hot wet towel around the head like a turban. The process of steaming opens the pores on the scalp and allows the concoction of oil to go deeper into the hair roots, thus improving the scalp condition and nourishing the hair. Hence, this therapy is known to be the easiest and the most effective way to attain healthy hair while treating numerous hair maladies including the never-ending problem of hair fall.
These days, effective hair steaming tools called ‘hair steamers’ are available in the market for boosting blood flow to the scalp, adding moisture to the hair, enhancing its elasticity, and restoring its color vibrancy. These steamers can be either hooded driers or hand-held steamers. (2)
How to Do Hot Turban Therapy at Home?
As we already mentioned, hot turban therapy is one of the easiest remedies which you can do to get healthy hair. Here is the step-by-step procedure for you:
Steps to Follow:
- In a mixing bowl, take castor oil, olive oil, corn oil, and coconut oil in equal proportions.
- Mix them together to make the remedial oil concoction.
- Heat it up and then, let it cool down completely.
- Apply it all over your scalp by dividing your hair into small multiple sections.
- Start massaging gently with your fingertips and follow a small circular motion.
- Leave it on for at least 2 hours. It is even better to keep hot oil on your scalp overnight.
- Next morning, dip your towel in hot water and wring the extra water out of it.
- Now, wrap the heated towel around your head like a turban. You may turn your long hair into a bun before this.
- Allow it to stay for 15-20 minutes.
- Finally, remove the towel and rinse your hair with a mild shampoo.
If you want to go for aromatic hot oil, add 1-2 drops of your favorite essential oil (ginger oil, tea tree oil, rosemary oil, or sandalwood oil) to the oil blend. Hot oil products that are readily available in the market can also be used in place of the homemade oil mixture.
Read Also – Mayonnaise for Hair Treatment
Benefits of Hot Turban Therapy
Whether you opt for a hot turban therapy at a salon or do the treatment yourself at home, it is going to give you some amazing benefits. Following are the differences you can feel after showing your scalp and hair some extra love with it:
1. Improves Scalp Condition
Hot turban therapy unclogs the pores on the scalp and allows the toxins to be released from them. This stimulates the circulation of blood, triggers the production of collagen, and makes the condition of the scalp much better. As the scalp become healthy, you can stay away from issues like dry and itchy scalp, flakiness, dandruff, scalp infections, etc.
2. Nourishes Hair Thoroughly
Since the therapy deals with deep penetration of oil into the roots of the hair, it nourishes the hair from inside and makes it extremely healthy, long, and strong. Moreover, it enables the hair to fight against all sorts of problems and put an end to them.
3. Conditions Hair Intensely
Coconut oil is one of the most important ingredients of the oil concoction, which is used for this therapy. It is well-acclaimed for its natural conditioning ability. Thus, this therapy moisturizes and conditions the hair to a great extent.
4. Increases Hair Elasticity
As the hot turban therapy allows the hair to absorb the maximum amount of moisture, the hair strands become more strong and resilient. This not only increases the elasticity of hair but also enhances its moisture retention capability. Therefore, you can style your curls, kind, or coils as you wish without breaking or damaging them during the process.
5. Promotes Hair Growth
Two other important ingredients of the hot oil blend used in this steaming treatment are castor oil and olive oil. They are considered as great natural stimulants for hair growth. In fact, they prevent hair loss and encourage regrowth faster than ever.
6. Makes Hair Lustrous
Corn oil used in this therapy is highly enriched with vitamin E, omega-3, and omega-6 fatty acids. Vitamin E makes this oil work as a natural moisturizer as well as a great antioxidant for your hair while the presence of the fatty acids catalyzes the process of cell functioning in your scalp. Increased cell functioning in the scalp boosts hair health while keeping it shiny and gorgeous.
7. Enhances Product Absorption
When you have low-porosity hair, even your ultra-hydrating and super nourishing hair products may also do not penetrate the strands to improve the moisture balance. This therapy helps in opening the cuticle layer, which facilitates the infusion of products into the hair shafts for the most amazing results.
Tips to Follow for Hot Turban Therapy
Now, here are a few simple tips that you should remember while trying the hot turban therapy at home (3):
- Practice it on your relaxed or color-treated hair at least once every week for supporting health and growth with an added dose of hydration.
- Always turn your oiled hair into a bun so that the entire mane gets covered by the towel. This ensures that the ends of your hair strands, which are usually the most damaged part, also get enough moist heat.
- Do not overdo steaming. If you do it very frequently or wear the hot towel for a very long time, you will end up making your hair limp, weak, and even prone to breakage.
- The water used for dipping the towel should not be piping hot. Otherwise, it will burn your hands as well as your scalp.
- While adding essential oils to your hot oil blend, make sure that you choose them based on the unique requirements of your locks.
- You can add other hair-friendly herbs like amla, neem, methi, hibiscus, basil, etc. to your oil mixture to reap some extra benefits.
- Do not comb your hair or apply oil right after undergoing hot turban therapy. Wait for at least a few hours before applying any hair care products to your hair.
Hot turban therapy is a hair steaming method in which the hair is treated with moist heat for improving its overall health and appearance. It involves the application of an oil blend combining coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil, corn oil, and some essential oils followed by the wrapping of a hot towel around the head like a turban for 15 to 20 minutes. This therapy unclogs the pores on the scalp for purification and allows the nutrients in the hair oil to penetrate deeper into the hair roots so that the hair can grow stronger, faster, and healthier. It also lifts the cuticles on the hair shafts to give the hair a glossy and more lustrous look.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Long Should You Steam Your Hair for?
Generally, steaming the hair for 10-20 minutes is enough. However, if your hair is extremely dry and thirsty, go for a session of 20-30 minutes each time.
How Often Should You Steam Your Hair?
For regular hair, monthly steaming will work great. But for parched and damaged hair, doing it once in a week is necessary.
When is the Best Time to Steam Hair?
Steaming works best on clean and washed hair. So, it is advised to practice hair steaming during the time of bathing.
Which Type of Hair Should Go for Steaming?
Steaming is beneficial for all types of hair. But it shows the best results on very dry, over-processed, color-treated, relaxed, and highly damaged locks.
How Does the Hair Look After Hot Turban Therapy?
The hair looks very healthy, well-nourished, and full of sheen after undergoing hot turban therapy. It also feels very soft, smooth, and supple.
- “I Tried Hair Steaming and It Transformed My Hair. Here’s Everything You Need to Know…“, GlamourMagazine.co.uk
- “Hair Steamers are the Secret to Having Soft and Supple Hair“, HuffingtonPost.in
- “Hair Steaming Do’s and Don’ts for Relaxed Hair“, Essence.com